[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is discussion necessary in order to fully appreciate a book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1443886187923.jpg (273 KB, 480x748) Image search: [Google]
1443886187923.jpg
273 KB, 480x748
Is discussion necessary in order to fully appreciate a book? Do you have anybody to talk about literature with in real life? Do you activly seek the discussion, or are you just trying to push your opinions on others?
>>
>>7386988
No one to talk to
>>
>Is discussion necessary in order to fully appreciate a book?

there is no such thing as 'fully' appreciating a book. you will miss stuff even if you spend twenty years studying a single book. so no. it might enhance your appreciation but it's not required.

>Do you have anybody to talk about literature with in real life?

yes.

>Do you activly seek the discussion, or are you just trying to push your opinions on others?

why would i care about what they have to say if its essentially the same as what i think? i mine people for their viewpoints, pushing mine is counterproductive.
>>
>>7386988
It's important, but hard to find people to discuss with.
It can uncover nuances that you may have missed and offer perspectives that you hadn't thought of.
Also, since the need to connect with other other people is a part of human nature, it's better to do it over something worthwhile like lit
>>
On the same note, do you just know people who are into lit or do you actually look for them? Especially for younger people it's hard to find like minded readers at the same age.
Book clubs sound silly though.
>>
>>7387048
Book clubs could be good but every book club I've found reads shit I would not want to read.
>>
You should know that to appreciate something is to put value onto something (duh), now, what makes you think one needs help from Others in this?

I read because it's one of the only ways my being gets fully stimulated, a being-for-others doesn't primarily come into play. There is of coarse secondary considerations like a potential way to not become a wageslave by publishing my own one day and reading obviously helps in this regard.

>>7387001
And this of coarse.
>>
>>7387021
>Also, since the need to connect with other other people is a part of human nature, it's better to do it over something worthwhile like lit

Good point, it's a shame not more people are into lit. I guess it's just hard for most people to actually have to put mental effort into an hobby.
>>
>>7387071
>it's one of the only ways my being gets fully stimulated

But doesn't discussing your ideas with somebody else also stimulate your being? Maybe even in a different way, where you have to accurately communicate, defend and challenge your own ideas.
>>
>>7387021
>Also, since the need to connect with other other people is a part of human nature.
But it's not neccesarily.
>>
>>7387092
Of coarse. Yet when dealing with Others it's more of a negative fullness of being (for me), I suffer from some anxiety, and because of this even hours after even brief communication I would mull over the events in my head, which is extremely wasteful of time. And Like that guy I quoted I don't have anybody in real life to postulate my ideas to, this can, and I do, find this function fulfilled with dead authors. Also, honestly, and not to be condescending, but I'm so far ahead of people in real life in terms of the things I think and am Interested in that they wouldn't have any interest themselves. My interaction with people in real life is just small talk and jokes, which is okay. I can't expect things from which I have no right to.
>>
>>7387146
I can't really look into your head, but it kinda sounds to me like you're trying to play your social anxiety off, by telling yourself that "it's a waste of time" and you are "far ahead of people". Just something to think about.
But what do I know, maybe you are a genius and I'm spouting bullshit.
>>
>>7387202
No, it's perfectly possible, I sometimes think that myself. I know I am no genius, if I were I'd probably be able to get over my anxiety lol. But really I'm at a point where I just don't see a Need for others, some interaction would be nice here and there, and I do Occasionally enjoy it and would love a friend that has interests in common but am perfectly content, presently at least, in my relative isolation. There's just very little desire for those things at the moment.
>>
>>7387241
Hahaha that last sentence made me chuckle quite a bit. I love how okay you are with your situation.
>>
>>7387102
No, it's not.
I was just pointing out an aditional benefit of literary discussion.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.