[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does everyone think about a /lit/ book club?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: book-club.jpg (23 KB, 574x398) Image search: [Google]
book-club.jpg
23 KB, 574x398
What does everyone think about a /lit/ book club?
>>
The Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow reading groups seemed to work well. I think one for the Recognitions is in order, or 2666 (or maybe The Savage Detectives).

That's as close to a book club as I want from here, personally.
>>
When and what are we reading?
>>
>>7382045
I was thinking to have a book club on Skype and actually have it as a sort of discussion room instead of a thread which is eventually archived.

>>7382046
I'll have to set up this damn skype account so I can create a group for us to speak in. I was thinking we could have a sort of 'overarching' curriculum... read one major book from each literary time period... chronologically of course. Then discuss.

When is when I get about 5-10 people who can commit and contribute somewhat frequently. Once or twice a week, an analysis or some links would be at least sufficient.
>>
I think going through all the meme books has been great, getting people who would've normally shitposted without knowing anything about them to actually shitposting whilst somewhat enlightened will be a small improvement to the board.

To read next i think those that are somewhat memey (read 20th century playing with structure), frequently mentioned but haven't been as widely read. Blood Meridian, Ulysses/Finnegan's Wake, 2666, Speedboat, The Recognitions, JR, Wittgenstein's Mistress, House of Leaves.
>>
>>7382058
Putting name here now.

Well. I think what would be a better idea is to spend a week or two researching HOW to read more advanced texts (like Ulysses, shit gets real), then read those. But honestly Ulyesses is just too much. Maybe Portrait. HoL is way too long too. a lot of people here are just too busy to dedicate that much time.

Of course we can spend all of our time reading one or two books, but I want this to call to people who want to read a lot of books and discuss (like me). also, reading other less advanced books makes the more complex a bit more decipherable.

actually let's take some polls... let me get the strawpoll going...
>>
>>7382066
ANSWER PLS: http://www.strawpoll.me/6079445
>>
>>7382056

I'd be down for the Skype /lit/ Club t b h
>>
>>7382045
>The Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow reading groups seemed to work well.
The Infinite Jest one slowed to a halt within 2 weeks at which point it was almost exclusively rereaders having big arguments within spoiler tags about whose bullshit interpretation of the ending was 'right'

The Gravity's Rainbow reading group lasted a little under a month and only survived 6 threads..... the last thread according to the archive was October 23rd (the last thread with active discussion was October 18th) and the group wasn't even scheduled to finish until November 28 - 6 days from now

in short /lit/ reading groups suck but i'll keep joining them
>>
>>7382090
I noticed that too, which is why I'm proposing a skype group... lots of people use skype and I think it'll be a lot more convenient to chat about the book integrated with something people usually use each day.
>>
>>7382066
I think one book at a time, one weekly post and a chart for expected pages per week is a good way to go, and then after we finish each book we decide on the next.

I also think the books we should choose should all be 20th/21st century (they meme the hardest), as well as being on the longer side. On the longer side (300 page +) as shorter books we're more likely to read in our own time.
>>
>>7382096
This is true. Let's just see what the polls will say. We'll go from there.

Also, the person who said not to do this on skype, please speak up?
>>
>>7382099
well i voted for the 'longer book' option but i also dont prefer skype
4chan skype groups are terrible and i think this sort of literary discussion benefits from being able to respond to a long chain of conversation and actually being able to think before you post
>>
>>7382090
The goodreads group always die as well, but i think it's not a bad idea to try. Atleast someone might actually read the book.
>>
>>7382105
I do think it makes things more impersonal and thus forgettable. Being a part of an active prolonged Skype group in which you can talk to people through voice and chat vs. a thread on a 4chan board which is archived and not as sociable... Idk. depends on perspective, but the things we've had so far don't seem to work too well, so let's try this.
>>
>>7382119
ok, I have the skype account set up. add okon21211 to be added to the book club.

I'll post a strawpoll within the group to decide what we read first and then we'll also discuss how well read these books.
>>
BUMP WE HAVE THE GROUP MADE AND ITS AWESOME
>>
>>7381894
But no one here actually reads books
>>
>skype with people I have never met before in person
>talking instead of clearly expressing our ideas through writing
>>
>guys lets skype each other and we can all get usernames xD
howaboutno.jpg
>>
>>7382264
this.
my username it's too obvious
>>
>>7382259
Skype has a text function you know.
>>
stop grasping for human connection you filth
>>
>>7382284
not sure if trolling
>>
File: rejected.jpg (15 KB, 300x287) Image search: [Google]
rejected.jpg
15 KB, 300x287
>>7382316
>>
>>7381894
rip
>>
I think I'm going to make a Skype for this. I've just been too lonely, senpai. I need people to talk to.
>>
>>7382090
I'm actually planning on finishing Gravity's Rainbow by the 28th and posting a final thread for the group read, even though I doubt anyone else has stuck with it. I think the problem has been choosing books that are too big and difficult for a book club. Even if folks here are inclined to read Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow at some point, it's a significant commitment and probably intimidates them. There's also the faction that refuses to participate just because they're "meme" books.

I think a /lit/ book club would work if we chose something lighter or less challenging that would only take a couple weeks at most.
>>
>>7384066
We'll be debating this.

JOIN US!
>>
>>7382046
Hopefully The Recognitions
>>
I'd be down for The Recognitions as well. Just bought it the other week intending to read it for the winter, and wouldn't mind trying a reading group for it.
>>
>>7384373
We're reading Confessions of a Mask.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.