[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last year I read Donna Tartt's The Secret History. Although
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: scenery1.jpg (52 KB, 640x342) Image search: [Google]
scenery1.jpg
52 KB, 640x342
Last year I read Donna Tartt's The Secret History. Although I found the book quite flawed and the narrative just too over the top for me to enjoy it, there was one thing which I liked: the setting. It had that sort of "Autumn-in-Vermont" kinda feel. I don't know how to explain it quite correctly, but think of those 13 states which were colonies in the East Coast, add up some England-y feel and you probably know what I mean.

Do you have any books to recommend which have such setting? Bonus points if it is inside an university or educational institution, but it's not necessary.

Pic related, visually sums up what I mean.
>>
>>7379527
'Death is the mother of beauty,' said Henry.
'And what is beauty?'
'Terror.'
'Well said,' said Julian. 'Beauty is rarely soft or consolatory. Quite the contrary. Genuine beauty is always quite alarming.'

I looked at Camilla, her face bright in the sun, and thought of that line from the Iliad I love so much, about Pallas Athene and the terrible eyes shining.

'And if beauty is terror,' said Julian, 'then what is desire? We think we have many desires, but in fact we have only one. What is it?'
'To live,' said Camilla.
'To live forever,' said Bunny, chin cupped in palm.
The teakettle began to whistle.
>>
File: dsfds.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
dsfds.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>7379559
*whistles teakettle
>>
File: 5697.jpg (132 KB, 940x400) Image search: [Google]
5697.jpg
132 KB, 940x400
Come on guys, I know you can recommend me something good. I'm counting on you.
>>
A place to start would be to just read New England authors, like Thoreau, Whitman, Hawthorne, etc. I sweat there was a thread at the beginning of the year asking this same question that got a fair amount of good replies, but I can't find it on warosu
>>
>>7379610
Oh, I've already read Walden by Thoreau, poems by Whitman and some essays by emerson. But they're a bit ancient, and don't quite touch upon the feel. They're great, though.
>>
>>7379821
Have you read all the highscoolcore books dealing with New England boarding schools, like CitR and A Separate Peace?
>>
>>7379873
I don't know any of it, I'm not American. What's the full name of this CitR book? I'll look them up, that's probably right in the feel.
>>
>>7379527
>but think of those 13 states which were colonies in the East Coast, add up some England-y feel and you probably know what I mean.
oh i know what you mean, anon
>>
>>7379887
Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>7379887
CitR
Hmm...
C and R are nouns, if the title is in English. i and t are prepositions, probably in and ...to? "the" makes more sense.
C in the R... Hm...
>>
>>7379527

I like how it's littered with references but overall really just a comfy book despite the murder and absurd aspects.

>tfw no comfy autumn vermont living.

I know the feel bro.
>>
Robert Frost's poems are about as New England as it gets.

A lot of Stephen King's stuff is set in Maine but he does have a few in Colorado as well (like the Shining)

Richard Russo and Russell Banks are upstate New Yorkers but they have a similar feel to New England

Howard Fast wrote a bunch of Revolutionary War novels set in New England in the late 18th century.

Moby Dick has some very New Englandy scenes in Nantucket.
>>
>>7380175
Well, thanks. I've read it several times.

>>7380193
Yes, I agree. That feeling had a very comfy feel, I can even reimagine those scenes in which they go to the cabin in the forest and stay there living the literary life.

>>7380198
I'll definitely check them out. Thanks, anon.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.