[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys feel about him? I just finished reading Snow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Yasunari_Kawabata_c1946 (1).jpg (245 KB, 800x806) Image search: [Google]
Yasunari_Kawabata_c1946 (1).jpg
245 KB, 800x806
How do you guys feel about him? I just finished reading Snow Country and Thousand Cranes, really enjoyed them

Also general Japanese literature thread
>>
one of the GOATs

plebs can't into him cause he's "boring"

hardly ever discussed here cause people are too busy memeing murakami and mishima

read master of go senpai.
>>
>>8270408
Master of Go is next on my list

I've read most of Murakami, Soseki, and Mishima at this point, who else am I missing?
>>
>>8270516
A fuck load. Tanizaki, Inoue, Dazai, Akutagawa, Abe, Oe, Eiji, Endo and Hearn (not Japanese but pretty much). That's more than enough to keep you going. All of them are good, all are worth reading. Tanizaki, Inoue, Dazai write like Kawabata (Tanizaki and Inoue especially). Akutagawa wrote wonderfully imaginative and strange short stories in his early career before settling into semi-autobiographical stories later on. Abe is known as the Japanese Kafka. I don't even know how to describe Oe. He has one novella which is one huge knock against Mishima which you might like. Eiji writes big popular samurai novels. Sort of puply but puply in the way Master and Commander is, not Game of Thrones. Endo and Hearn due to their relationships with the west (Endo is a catholic and Hearn is an American) write works which help to bridge a gap between Japan and the west. Endo's writers are all about the difficulty that the Japanese have with understanding Christianity and Hearn writes for a western audience.
>>
>>8270566
Shit thanks for the detailed post, I'll be sure to give them all a read
>>
>>8270402
I think he was a genius, one of the best writers since Virgil.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.