[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laslo Krasnahorkai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: _83091628_laszlo[1].jpg (21 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_83091628_laszlo[1].jpg
21 KB, 660x371
Let's talk about this bastard. What's your favorite novel? How well did Bela Tarr transpose Satantango and Melancholy of Resistance to film?
>>
War and War is my favorite of his, because Korin is such a wonderful character, and because the story transfers into our own world.

http://www.warandwar.com/

I thought that the ending of Satantango was somewhat contrived, but I guess that was the point. The centerpiece of that novel is compelling and haunting. Also, Bela Tarr did a wonderful job of capturing the momentum and place of the narrative.

I enjoy his writing immensely, but I've always felt like I was waiting for him to write something with a greater purpose. Maybe Seiobo is that book, I've'nt read it.

What do you think about him? What's your favorite novel? Also, who are some of your other favorite writers?
>>
>>8210704

>Seiobo There Below

The only novel of his I've read actually
>>
satantango book was better than movie. werckmeister harmonies was better than book
>>
>>8211269
>centerpiece

Are you referring to the chapter with everyone in the bar? If so, I agree, it was incredible. Also loved the bit with the retard girl and the cat.
>>
>>8211595
I take the girl with the cat, in conjunction with Irimias's (Isaiah's) arrival and the the scene at the bar to at once be the centerpiece.
>>
>>8211341
What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>8211269
I didn't really like the ending of Satantango either, but the rest of the book was great. Krasznahorkai's prose is awesome, even in translation.

It felt like the last 2 pages of the doctor writing were a cheap LOLSWERVE moment, and for me it would've been a better impact to just end it on a perfectly prosaic note of absolutely no importance.

I have a copy of Seiobo in the mail, going to read that soon when it gets here.
>>
>>8211568
other way around cunt.

I will literally fight anyone that underrates the movie, and thus film as an artform.
>>
I started with some of his later works: "Seiobo There Below", "From the North by Hill, From the South by Lake, From the West by Roads, From the East by River "and "The World Goes on". Then I read "The Prisoner of Urga", and didn’t like it quite as much, I think. Granted, when people (on here and generally) are praising his earlier works, they never mention the Prisoner.

I like the mania that some of his pieces (talking about the individual chapters) drift into. That’s mostly the Prisoner.

But more than this I like the other direction (or the same direction taken further). Like the last chapter in the Prisoner or the whole "From the North by Hill…" book. The sublime, I think it can be called.

When I started reading the very first page of Krasznahorkai in my life, the first page of Seiobo, I was afraid at first that it would be a very pretentious book. But when I eventually read on, it seemed to me that the author was far beyond even thinking of his readership, simply immersed in deep introspection or a kind of meditation.

I feel like if I would do nothing by re-read Seiobo from now on, I might never become unhappy again. I’m meaning to re-read it at least once sometime soon.

"The World goes on" seemed harder to grasp for me than Seiobo. Maybe it was not meant to be a single piece in the same way Seiobo was. At least structurally it is very heterogeneous. I might just need to read it again. (I was also rather rushing through it when I read it, as I was already eager to just read more Krasznahorkai; and that I was actually able to rush reading one of his books at this point (although I think you should not do that) –
>>
>>8211919
you wanna get in a fight over a couple of hungarian faggots be my guest
>>
>>8210704
lol I just watched like the first scene of Werckmeister Harmonies on youtube, I've never read any Krasnahorkai and only art films I've seen are Tarkovsky's

Am I ready? Please let me know /lit/, I'm counting on you.
>>
>>8212067
Which Tarkovsky's have you seen?
>>
>>8211919
>film
>art
>>
>>8212062

lol
>>
>>8210704
>tfw when italian and can only read Melancholy of Resistance
>>
What do you suggest the order of reading for someone who has never read any of his works?
>>
remelem mindenki magyarul olvasta
>>
>>8211595
>tfw I played a lot as a kid around that ruined building where Estike killed herself
>>
>>8212537
Working on learning it senpai
>>
>>8212509
War and War is the best entry point imo. Or Satantango.
>>
>>8211269
>>8211794
Satantango is a great novel, but I agree its ending is bad. Should have ended with the doctor writing One Hundred Years of Solitude lol
>>
>>8212047
Most of what you've referred to here is not available in English translation, but I believe some of it is in the process of being. What language did you read the books in?
>>
i love him. his long sentences seem so sincere and unpretentious, like it's just a really detailed autistic person trying to capture as much reality as possible in every breath (which sounds terrible when i put it like that, but i love it)
war and war's my favourite, korin is such a great character, the whole story within the story of the manuscript is so weird and wonderful, and the way it breaks the fourth wall into reality is really nice. it also seems on the cusp of the early bitter communist stuff and his later more transcendental things and that's interesting to me

bela tarr (and mihaly vig) form such a great artistic partnership with him and it works so well, they really get each other. all the krasznahorkai/tarr films are superb, but my favourite is the one that was written specifically as a film: the turin horse
>>
also i really, really want szirtes to get around to translating from the north a hill etc
i see that the other lady has done destruction and sorrow beneath the heavens and i'm gonna get it when it comes out in paperback, but it's george i'm really after, and that looks like the most interesting novel of his
>>
>>8212067
What did you think of the opening scene in Werckmeister? If it intrigued you, it might not be a bad place to start.

If you were indifferent, I'd suggest returning to the film at a later point once you've acquainted yourself with similar films. Tarkovsky is pretty good, though, which films of his have you seen?
>>
>>8212940
My man, The Turin Horse was some uncomfortably haunting work, almost apocalyptic. The film gives me slight shivers when I watch it.
>>
>>8210704
He's pretty cool. Some of the characters feel very high-browse-20thcentury-literature which i consider a plus, but the prose gets a bit tiresome for longer reading sessions.
>Watch me make the longest sentence I can. Now I'll do another one. Here, have another...

I should add that I've only read Satantango and The melancholy so I don't know if the other novels are different
>>
>>8212958
he was sick for awhile, i think he's better now but he was hospitalized
>>
bela tarr is a hack and distorts the great texts into his bleak and shallow films
>>
grim dark shit for pseudo intellectual high brows
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.