[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book autistic? Was Pynchon an autist? Currently i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg (103 KB, 392x574) Image search: [Google]
Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg
103 KB, 392x574
Is this book autistic? Was Pynchon an autist?

Currently i'm reading it, enjoying it, but i can't shake the feeling of autism off.
>>
>>7365323
Pynchon is one of the brightest literary minds of this century.
>>
>>7365323
If you go into a science, enjoy it, and understand the principles behind it, then there's a good likelihood that you're autistic.
>>
i was stuck in a psychiatrists waiting room for about an hour the other day
there was an autistic man with his legally appointed aide there
he was completely unaware of the normal whisper tone people strick in doctors offices, he was even speaking slightly above normal speaking volume
he loudly went on about his personal problem for about 30 minutes or more
his main issue was his arguments with his father, apparently he had an irrational desire to wear excessive clothing, that is several, unnecessary, layers of clothing, especially pants.
his father thought this would made him look fat, decreasing his likeliness of ever finding a girlfriend.
this man was using the mannerisms of someone 10 years his junior and his voice was strangely feminine
no, I don't think pynchon is autistic
no, I'm not that man, I was just there for my anti-depressants
>>
>>7365330
Autism is more of a general term that's inclusive to several different variations of similar behaviors.
>>
>>7365333
he didn't seem to be severely autistic, he even mentioned that he was confirmed to not be an asperger, which I think is one of the more light forms of autism
nice trip trips btw
>>
>>7365323
what about the book do you think is autistic?
>>
Nah. He was really high when he wrote a lot of it, which contributes a lot to the book's weirdness, but I think he understands human relationships to be a serious autist.
>>
>>7365336
Writing style and the switching between themes and plots, like him getting easily distracted.
>>
http://www.pynchon.pomona.edu/bio/influences.html

On the writing of Gravity's Rainbow, Pynchon reportedly told Siegel, "I was so fucked up while I was writing it . . . that now I go back over some of those sequences and I can't figure out what I could have meant."

>it's a bad book and if you like it you should feel bad
>>
File: fghh.jpg (117 KB, 656x700) Image search: [Google]
fghh.jpg
117 KB, 656x700
do you find yourself coining lots of things as autistic OP?
i can't help but shake the feeling that you have no idea wtf you are talking about.
GR is definitely mentally ill. it's paranoid and psychotic to boot.
maybe even slightly schizoided. but autistic?
get a fucking grip you dumb cunt.
>>
>>7365357
How does it feel to know that some old hippie on coke and acid wrote better prose and plots than you ever will?

OP something tells me you should probably take a break for the Internet.
>>
File: pynchonswag.gif (51 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
pynchonswag.gif
51 KB, 220x330
>>7365357
>"I was so fucked up while I was writing it . . . that now I go back over some of those sequences and I can't figure out what I could have meant."
DUDE
>>
>>7365323
Pynchon, the absolute madman, himself is not autistic but he did predict the autist uprising of 00s and now has a rock-solid fanbase because he was simply too ahead of the times.
>>
>>7365323
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>7365477
Says the guy whose girlfriend was getting pynched by the Pine-One. I don't believe it.
>>
>>7365327
So thats a "yes" then?
>>
Reading GR makes me feel like an autist (among other retardations), desu. I hope I'm not the only one.
>>
>>7365330
Don't talk about me on 4chan faggot I'll fuck you up next time I see you in the waiting room
>>
>>7365323
Yes. You'll get the same feeling reading V. as well. I think that's why I like Pynchon so much.
>>
lol if you cant enjoy the ultimate patrician full-autism 3-D simulator that is the master Tommy Pinecones corpus
>>
File: wood.jpg (42 KB, 377x500) Image search: [Google]
wood.jpg
42 KB, 377x500
somebody replace Wood with Autism and the block with either GR or IJ
>>
>>7365347
thats adhd, autists are much less likely to get distracted than a normal person
>>
“They are approaching now a lengthy brick improvisation, a Victorian paraphrase of what once, long ago, resulted in Gothic cathedrals—but which, in its own time, arose not from any need to climb through the fashioning of suitable confusions toward any apical God, but more in a derangement of aim, a doubt as to the God’s actual locus (or, in some, as to its very existence), out of a cruel network of sensuous moments that could not be transcended and so bent the intentions of the builders not on any zenith, but back to fright, to simple escape, in whatever direction, from what the industrial smoke, street excrement, windowless warrens, shrugging leather forests of drive belts, flowing and patient shadow states of the rats and flies, were saying about the chances for mercy that year.”

wat
>>
File: wood - copy.jpg (406 KB, 748x1067) Image search: [Google]
wood - copy.jpg
406 KB, 748x1067
>>7366696
>>
>>7365337
Is this true?
>>
>>7366905
>erections
>>
>>7366936
Probably not.
>>
>>7366944
Hehe
>>
File: 1444144101622.jpg (27 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1444144101622.jpg
27 KB, 604x438
>>7365435
>How does it feel to know that some old hippie on coke and acid wrote better prose and plots than you ever will?
>>
>>7365357
Fucking finally. I feel better for getting so little out of it.
>>
>>7366957
nah you should still feel bad
>>
It's brilliant according to LOTR hipsters.
>>
>>7366442
Bring it on you unsociable fuck!
>>
>>7366932
top kek
>>
>>7366905
They've nearly done a sort of architectural "improv", applying Gothic techniques with a Victorian flair. In their own time, Gothic techniques weren't developed to create an illusion of closeness to God, they were created as a consequence of either challenges to God's existence or a questioning of how & where he operates, and through emotionally-charged experiences (self reflection?) that they couldn't overcome. These experiences influenced the intentions of the builders to reflect a desire for escape from the realities of existence, not to approach some divine zenith like these modern builders are doing.
>>
File: bb.jpg (45 KB, 500x659) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
45 KB, 500x659
do you think slothrop would have enjoyed being penetrated by bbc?
>>
>>7366442
Amazing post

>>7367448
Terrible post
>>
>>7367448
I'll stick an apple so far up your asshole that you'll wish I never read Illuminatus! to give me this fucking fetish!
>>
>>7369209
dude ran into a damn toilet to avoid it, so I'd say...yes
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.