[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
…the last few years of the postmodern era have seemed a bit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: davidfosterwallacecropped.jpg (30 KB, 560x332) Image search: [Google]
davidfosterwallacecropped.jpg
30 KB, 560x332
…the last few years of the postmodern era have seemed a bit like the way you feel when you’re in high school and your parents go on a trip, and you throw a party…. For a while it’s great, free and freeing, parental authority gone and overthrown…. but the sense I get of my generation of writers and intellectuals or whatever is that it’s 3:00 a.m. and the couch has several burn-holes and somebody’s thrown up in the umbrella stand and we’re wishing the revel would end. The postmodern founders’ patricidal work was great, but patricide produces orphans, and no amount of revelry can make up for the fact that writers my age have been literary orphans throughout our formative years. We’re kind of wishing some parents would come back. And of course we’re uneasy about the fact that we wish they’d come back…. Is there something about authorities and limits we actually need? And then the uneasiest feeling of all, as we start gradually realizing that parents in fact aren’t ever coming back — which means we’re going to have to be the parents.
>>
Whenever I see that dfw pic I feel comfy, just thought I'd let you know
>>
>>8135487
me too dude
>>
>>8134347
David was the closest thing to a patriarchal post-,modernist.
Underneath all that post-modern misanthropy he actually wanted to impart a message of hope, of course he ultimately failed at that by killing himself but that too has been greatly misconstrued by ignorant parties who dont really understand art or why someone in his position might have done that but yeah he warned us about our generations return to traditional forms of narratives (the anti-rebels).

This is why we have John Green, young-adult dystopia and Twilight as the new prime lit. This is sincere fiction, your new parents are just lame plebs.

I actually hope theres a return to that sort of experimental fiction but i think it will look very different from the novels we've come to know in the pre-internet age
>>
>haha lol my life is too good BOOM

Fucking overprivileged piece of shit.
>>
>>8135673
Its the story of Jesus bro.
Kurt did it first, but The Pale King is (unbeknownest to most readers) a huge suicide note and thereofore a Post-modern masterpiece imo
>>
>>8135741
Not to say that Kurt was the first celebrity to off himself but there was clearly a kinship with these two (though Wallace liked to deny he'd even heard their music, he contradicted this fact at many points as he often did with these sorts of things)
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.