[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
Magazine Edition

Anyone here still read the magazines? Is it a good way of finding writers? What are some especially good or bad ones?

Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: >>8122976
>>
File: Dino Squad.jpg (92 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Dino Squad.jpg
92 KB, 950x534
Jesus fuck.

The Dinosaur Squad infested the last post of that other thread.

When are your asses going to fossilize so I can get some Grade A distilled crude?
>>
>>8129910
You realize that, statistically speaking, the best books are over 20 years old, merely by virtue of more having been written?
>>
I will buy one if I happen to go into a bookstore that carries them. You can also find old stacks of them at used stores sometimes.

I've thought about subscriptions before, but there's no way I have enough time to actually read one each month so they'd just be sitting around. It might make more sense on kindle or something, but I don't use e-readers much.

I like Interzone and Asimov's I guess, but probably haven't read enough for that to mean much.

Clarkesworld is also really good, at least judging from their year-end collections. Podcast is decent too.
>>
>>8129875
I read Aurealis when they do their free issue thing at the end of every year. Sadly there's only one, aged, torrent that I can find.
>>
Been reading a lot of westerns lately and I like them. Are there any good novels that combine Sci-Fi and the western genre? Maybe even fantasy and western?
>>
File: 1465120809840.jpg (170 KB, 740x1627) Image search: [Google]
1465120809840.jpg
170 KB, 740x1627
dayum
>>
>>8130051
Brandon Sanderson - The Alloy of Law
>>
File: alloy_broadsheet-webres.png (390 KB, 1530x2128) Image search: [Google]
alloy_broadsheet-webres.png
390 KB, 1530x2128
>>8130051
Seconding >>8130118

Era 2 Mistborn is right up your alley.
>>
>>8130118
Read that a while ago already.
>>
>>8130051
Might be obvious, but The Gunslinger.
>>
Read that too. Not sure if I'd even consider that fantasy. Stephen King is a weirdo.
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 1440x792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 1440x792
30 days until The Great Ordeal

Get hyped
>>
>Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
Wait, there are people out there who actually recommend Robin Hobb's books?
>>
Can anyone recommend more books like Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance? I've fallen in love with future scifantasy.
>>
>>8130324
Roger Zelazny
>>
File: 1438300325115.jpg (20 KB, 336x237) Image search: [Google]
1438300325115.jpg
20 KB, 336x237
This is why we can't have nice things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEpfwuVIm7E
>>
>>8130287
>Robin Hobb is bad
Are we witnessing the creation of a great new meme?
>>
>>8130454
No? I'm not going to argue on her writing, just that every single one of her books makes me feel real bad and I would not recommend that to anyone.
>>
>>8130485
Have you only read Royal Assassin? Most of her books, and all of her series, have a mostly happy ending.
>>
>>8130506
Years ago, I cant say I remember it having a happy ending as much as it was a wash, but I have been trying to repress those memories. I might be being a bit unfair to the older book after what a shit show me trying and failing to read through the soldier sun series.
>>
>>8130526
I've just started Soldier Son and have heard bad things, but I want to finish her books to satisfy my autism. I personally thought that the Tawny Man trilogy was fairly peaceable, though certainly the Farseer trilogy had an emo as fuck protagonist.
>>
>>8130543
Well good luck with that then, I might have gotten halfway through the second book. For me it was "only bad things happen, and then they get worse" the book.
>>
>>8130558
Thanks. I've read almost all of her stories and short stories so I'll probably finish it anyway. It'd have to get super bad for me to give up on it halfway. I finished the Rain Wild Chronicles after all, how much worse could it be?
>>
>>8130577
So, uh, what is it that you like about her books that make you want to read them all?
>>
>>8130607
There's not so many that I can't read them all, and I've already read so many that I'm very close. A bit like finishing a TV show even though you've heard the last season isn't as good.

As for your actual question, there's a lot of pulpy fantasy out there just about battles and gary stu protagonists. Many people here seem to only have read the Farseer trilogy, but what sold me on her was the Liveship Trader trilogy, which has many varied and differently-motivated characters in a mysterious environment which is slowly revealed.

If I had to pick two things, it'd be her characters, who don't always do the obvious thing and have different personalities which makes the story interesting, and the mystery which gives the story structure and direction.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>>8129992
Green tick - would recommend
Red cross - lost interest/didn't finish
Red tick - fun but not GOAT or too overrated to recommend
dl - has been torrented/deDRMed
If it was me I'd add Fforde's Shades of Grey, City of the Saved and Watts' Firefall
I dropped GOT because it was a fucking chore with the POV switching. Prince of Nothing had great prose but it seemed to go nowhere and every time it suckered me in the scene changed again. Blood Song was basically assassin school tier boring. The Blade Itself probably better for people who like grimdark (Glokta, Bayaz, the other side and the ending is GOAT though.) City of the Stairs looks like it was supposed to be fun but honestly I can't remember a single memorable instant that happened in it. I think I finished the whole thing but it made absolutely no impact on me.

Recently I really enjoyed Zelazany's Chronicles of Amber. It started off good, got shit somewhere in the middle of the first book and then it got fucking GOAT. He did a great job with the politicking and that was immensely fun. I was expecting Corwin to stabl everyone in the back in the first and second book but it didn't really happen.
>>
I just finished Way of Kings and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Is the sequel any good? I heard the focus was on Shallan and honestly I just want more Kaladin and Bridge Four.

>tfw I will never sit in a circle around a fire eating stew with people I've formed an unbreakable bond with

I just want to hang out with them
>>
>>8130944
Sanderson's sequels are exactly the same quality as the books preceding them.
>>
>tfw I've been chipping away at this short story about a were-lioness for over a month now and I'm only half way through

fuck me
>>
What are some comfy adventure books with cute characters, preferably female?
>>
File: Szeth.jpg (179 KB, 825x1100) Image search: [Google]
Szeth.jpg
179 KB, 825x1100
>>8130944
Shallan isn't as much of a boring fuck in WoR but Dalinar and Kaladin continue to outshine her. The book also doesn't have the insane pacing issues that tWoK had.
>>
>>8130287
That's why we were making the new list mate, without her.
List anon hasn't been seen yet.
>>8130999
Fuck off already
>>
>>8131067
>Fuck off already
This is my first time posting in /sffg/. Why are you so angry?
>>
>>8131070
We see that post almost every thread, he's changing it up a bit.
>>
File: 1328459791619.jpg (38 KB, 526x522) Image search: [Google]
1328459791619.jpg
38 KB, 526x522
>get to last few chapters of a book
>every single minor character who ever had more than three lines of dialogue all start reappearing and pairing off with each other

I fucking hate this genre sometimes
>>
File: 1460863141986.png (208 KB, 1071x576) Image search: [Google]
1460863141986.png
208 KB, 1071x576
>The Stormlight Archive Pocket Companion
Fuckkkkk I just found out that this existed. Does anyone have any scans of this anywhere?
>>
>>8130243
29 DAYS
>>
>>8131216
GET
HYPED
>>
Do any of the novels in the "selected fantasy fiction" jpeg in the OP have actually well-done sex?

Most fantasy sex is terrible wish fulfilment with cat-women or elves or whatever, but I want to read something where it's well done to prove that it can be done. Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>8131236
What does well-done sex mean to you?
>>
>>8131236
Just read fantasy by female authors if you can't handle wish fulfillment with cat-women

Sure it'll be homosexual cat men instead but that sounds like it'll be right up your alley
>>
>>8131253
That's a good question. I'm not looking for erotica, it's not my goal to be turned on, though if that happens it probably means it's well-written, in the same way that if a death scene makes you sad it's probably well-written.

I just want to see a sex scene that's well-written, and not shoe-horned in, which probably means that it has to do with character development or something.

>>8131257
Homosexual cat men are the same problem as with cat-women. I don't even care if it's cat-women, I just want it to actually have an impact on the story or characters and be written well.
>>
>>8131260
All sex is wish fulfillment to some degree. There's really only so much an author can do to distance themselves from it.

You could try Land Fit For Heroes,
>>
>>8131273
>but his own family shuns him because he is gay
Are you rusing me?
>>
File: george-rr-martin.jpg (31 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
george-rr-martin.jpg
31 KB, 620x413
How does he do it?
>>
>>8131279
There's all kinds of sex in this series. Surely one of them will float your boat.

Plus do you really think fudge packing would be acceptable in medieval fantasylands?
>>
>>8131283
Oh no, I'm happy that his family shuns him, it's just the fact that he's gay made me wary that you were rusing me by suggesting a series with homosex.

Is the story actually good? Seems interesting actually.
>>
>>8131288
It's a pretty interesting series. I enjoyed his take on elves, and the world itself is pretty interesting. Not to say it's not flawed, it's certainly got problems.

But overall I'd say it's a pretty solid series.
>>
>>8131295
Cool thanks I'll look into it.
>>
>>8131236
>Most fantasy sex is terrible wish fulfilment with cat-women or elves or whatever, but I want to read something where it's well done to prove that it can be done.
It depends what you mean by well done. I would tentatively argue that GRRM writes good sex scenes, but only when the scene has a purpose or perspective rooted in character (e.g. Sam/Gilly, Cersei's scenes in AFFC).
>>
>>8131306
I think that his sex scenes are generally rooted in character or story, but I'm not sure I agree that they're good. They're usually written in a way that makes it disgusting or strange rather than sexual.
>>
>>8130051
Dark Tower series
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman
The Scar by China Mieville
>>
>>8131319
>The Scar by China Mieville
Whoops. I meant Iron Council, not The Scar.
>>
>>8131314
That's sort of what I mean though. The less sexual aspects are often what give the scenes themselves meaning. There's a great one where Cersei is thinking about her sex life with Robert Baratheon and she describes how she would eat his cum almost vindictively, basically consuming his potential heirs, which gives the reader insight into Cersei as a character (uses sexuality as a weapon, deeply disturbed) and her former marriage.
>>
What's /sffg/'s opinion of Feist? Is he worth reading beyond Magician?
>>
>>8131347
Magician is shit, don't even bother reading that
>>
>>8131352
Really? I've finished Magician two days ago and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.
Why do you think it's 'shit' besides it being popular?
>>
>>8131358
It being one of the best books you've read is embarrassing.
On the other note most books liked on /lit/ in general are very popular.
>>
>>8131347
The Daughter of the Empire series is much better
>>
What's /sffg/'s opinion of Garth Nix? Is Sabriel and the Abhorsen series worth reading?

My sister loves him and wants me to read him but I wanna check that he's 4chan approved first.
>>
>>8131570
It's good YA.
>>
I just finished I am Legend, goddamn that was FANTASTIC.
>>
Give me good fantasy series with no sjw bullshit in them.

Hard Mode:Only white characters
>>
King Arthur
>>
>>8131605
Nah, it was just okay.
>>
>>8131620
Malazan.
Although there are non whites in it.
>>
>>8131756
Main characters are white?
>>
>>8131620
lord of the rings. eowyn is shown her place
>>
>>8131759
There are alot of "main" characters some of them are white and some of them are not even human.
>>
File: 1465135486936.jpg (42 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1465135486936.jpg
42 KB, 657x527
One thing, as a memer, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of memetic manipulation in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards whether we would be born on the autisms spectrum or not and addiction. It's terrible psycholigcal horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like forever. Once a memer you can't stop shitposting. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, petty and irrelevant posts we have no choice but to repeatedly make is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's desires for quick humorous nips in the past, or just their mindless desire for instant gratification in the present, override our own creativity and emotions towards others, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you. but just as a "normie".

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish memers weren't constantly written as "Basement-dwellers! That seek to escape the crushing regret of their life in posting anthropomorphic frogs!", and not facing the pepe tfw-yfw disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable to diss someone for acting like a child without asking ourselves if that person has experienced that, for some people, and for many people, wouldn't wear off. This was less prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of internet usage involved.
>>
>>8130324
Dune is a must.
Lord of Light also a good pick.
The Songs of the Dying Earth homage anthology was very good.
John Carter of Mars for retro.
Shannara is science fantasy but it sucks.
Count to a Trillion if you want to watch a science fantasy constructed out of the near future, not for the faint of heart.
>>
>>8131280
Write a TV show as a fantasy book and then get a show inspired by aforementioned novel produced.
>>
>>8131824
Wat
>>
>>8131703
Nah it was pretty well done
>>
>>8131850
It was, but it was hardly great. It's short, cool, but nothing amazing.
>>
>>8131852
Surely it's great? The thing defined zombie fiction without even stepping in the realm of it AND it still beats them all to this day
>>
>>8131856
Defining zombie fiction is pretty worthless. It's like praising lovecraft because people rip him off because it's cool.
It's got often embarrassing prose, the characters are mediocre, the idea is nifty, but nothing to reminiscent about outside of saying "wew lad cool".
>>
I guess it's back to the strict regimen of Wolfe, Chesterton and Borges then.........................................................................................................
>>
>>8131868
?
Borges and Chesterton are rarely discussed here. There's like 3 of us who talk about them.
>>
Anyone here reading the WN Mother of learning? What do you think about new development?
>>
>>8130243
>6 months till Blood Mirror
Just fuck me up f@m
>>
>>8131892
Torture ARC anon until he/she gives it up ;_;
>>
>>8130413
Fucking stupid Americans.
>>
>>8131930
>Women buy books written by women

That's almost as stupid as saying "women watch women's sports".

Pro-tip: They don't.
>>
>>8130893
>If it was me I'd add Fforde's Shades of Grey, City of the Saved and Watts' Firefall
My Private doesn't have Shades of Grey, it has his other books though. City of the saved... I've seen it shille- I mean recommended countless times, but a bottle universe where everyone ever goes (heaven?), didn't appeal much to me. I want to try Lord of light though.

Currently I'm reading Hull 3 Zero(so far it reads like a fucking game [dead space] in book form).
Next on my list: Iron Dragon's daughter, black sword, red knight, immortals of Meluha, roadside picnic, metro 2033, i have no mouth and I must scream, some more Richard k Morgan, stranger in a strange land, and a few other.

This doesn't take into effect the Age of Myth book being released at the end of the month, and other books I'm patiently waiting for.

When I'm done those the list will be updated.
>>
File: Fagget.jpg (734 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
Fagget.jpg
734 KB, 800x1280
>>8130973
Stop shitposting and get to work fagget.
>>
>>8131979
I agree.
>>
>>8131878
I liked the rape, gay and incest in WN Mother of learning series.
>>
>>8130324
Issac Asimov, Foundation And Earth for a quick read, it's only around 356 pages and stand alone even though it's part of the Foundation series. Highly recommend.
>>
>Malazan
Serious question, was this ever really intended to be published as a roleplaying campaign setting? because no way WotC wouldn't have sued 'em.
>>
>>8132049
He explicitly said he ran the setting for his friends before he wrote the books.
>>
>>8132055
Yes, and? lots of writers have claimed similar and later found out having totally lied.
>>
>>8131347
Serpentwar Saga is okay. Less tame than Riftwar, if that matters to you.
>>8131374 anon is right about Empire series being good.
>>
>>8132055
I think you missed the point, the actual setting and half of the plot is quite literally ripping straight from Greyhawk with a sprinkling of Dragonlance.
>>
https://youtu.be/ek2O6bVAIQQ

Thoughts?
>>
>Anyone here still read the magazines?
Sometimes.
A better question would be finding someone that actually stocks them

>Is it a good way of finding writers?
Yes

>What are some especially good or bad ones?
Magazines or writers?
There are only 3 print magazines left. Analog, Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and Asimovs.
>>
>>8131306
>e.g. Sam/Gilly
>just gave birth
>let bear of a man run rampant on my poor pussy
Not to mention he cucked Jon.

Too bad I can't have some friend who knows he is going to die and gives me his wife to look after.

I know for a fact GURM will never finish the books, because he has all these little details to tie up, and there is ONE time i know about readers... They are more obsessed about a work than the actual author is (at least the guys with autism is more obsessed than the author). They map the series out better than the authors ever could, and with a series as popular as GURMS of Thrones, there are a lot of pro autism readers mapping out all the plots so far. If Big G missteps, he will be lynched, maybe not literally but in relation with PR. He will probably get death threats like other authors (he probably gets them already for not finishing the series).

George will have to reread EVERY SINGLE BOOK, MULTIPLE TIMES, to remember what he did (he himself said he doesn't make notes), and that is going to take time away from playing in his backyard, talking about handegg, and traveling the world, where he will met young nubile women who want to "ride" the GoT mastermind.

Or he could do like an author did a few years ago, "hire" a devoted fan(autistic) make them sign a NDA, and have them retell all the little plots in detail, hell draw a map. Work with them to finish the books. Payment being among the first to receive an ARC.

Fuck George though.
>>
>>8130051
>Are there any good novels that combine Sci-Fi and the western genre?
Track down some old Leigh Brackett and C.L. Moore
>>
>>8132100
>(he himself said he doesn't make notes)
>manages to keep together his clusterfuck of a series

Respect instantly regained desu
>>
>>8131288
>made me wary that you were rusing me by suggesting a series with homosex.
Lel... just wait.
>>
>>8132096
I don't even think A Game of Thrones will affect fantasy culture, let alone the wider culture of other genres.

I think Sanderson has already influenced other writers and the genre more than GURM, we're already seeing fucktons of Sanderclones written in almost the exact same style with over the top magic systems.
>>
>>8132125
I think Game of Thrones was good to the genre.

It made fantasy sell.
>>
>>8131915
You forgot, there are two of them.
>>
>>8131979
>I'm a gril btw
>>
File: 1461856457214.gif (625 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1461856457214.gif
625 KB, 500x373
>>8132134
>It made fantasy sell.
>Good

Fantasy selling well means that only more commercialized works will be produced for the simpletons that are willing to gobble them up.
>>
>>8132134

Adult Fantasy has been declining year over year since HBO's Game of Thrones started airing.
>>
>>8132098
>only 3 left

Traditionally you started out writing for the magazines and original anthologies like the Orbit series - which are now completely dead except for years best of collections and tributes and maybe something a big name author will lend their name too - people like Wolfe and Martin were writing short stories for a decade before they got their first novel.

And you could make a career out of just writing short stories, Harlan Ellison and R.A. Lafferty and James Tiptree Jr all did this

This training ground, writing short stories teaches you the craft, is gone and people are expected to write brick sized books that are part 1 of a series straight off the bat
>>
File: 1401804525362.jpg (4 MB, 2620x3930) Image search: [Google]
1401804525362.jpg
4 MB, 2620x3930
>>8132144
>>8132145

Good writers might actually get published now.
Quantity doesn't mean quality but you're more likely to find good stuff among the shit that gets published.
>>
>>8132134
The thing is that other series just aren't even half as good as GoT, even if they try to copy it.
>>
>>8132168
>trying to copy GoT
>measuring those works in "good"
>>
>>8132168
As of now. This might change in the future. We will eventually have a Lord of the Rings (movie) generation of writers.
>>
>>8132177
>LoTRs
>good
>>
File: tip tip.jpg (47 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
tip tip.jpg
47 KB, 469x463
>>8132181
>>
>>8130324
Book of the New Sun
Hyperion
>>
File: alloy_symbols.jpg (167 KB, 655x562) Image search: [Google]
alloy_symbols.jpg
167 KB, 655x562
>>8131834
I liked that about Shannara. Wish it would focus on that aspect more.
>>
>>8131280
TV writer.
>>
File: Michael-Moorcock.jpg (221 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Moorcock.jpg
221 KB, 620x413
>>8132181
Shut up, Moorcock, you couldn't write yourself out of a wet paper bag.
>>
>>8132235
I always thought Shannara was an attempted fusion of Canticle and LoTR that failed due to Terry's lack of measurable creativity. I read it many times. The Landover novels surprised me.
>>
200 pages of Return to the Whorl left. It's a hard read because I need to stop often as it's confusing as fuck. Pig just got possessed and there was a giant and I'm trying to follow it and it ain't easy with the added jumbled plot, bucky.
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg (530 KB, 1589x1200) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg
530 KB, 1589x1200
>>8132276
I haven't read many of them in years, other than the Genesis of Shannara books. I think the books were tolerable when he deviated from the horribly cliched settings although, for some reason, I have fond memories of Elfstones of Shannara. I never read any of his other series but as far as Shannara goes, I liked Genesis, the Jerle Shannara trilogy where Walker Boh & Friends encounter that AI system, and the book where Walker fights off the Four Horsemen.
>>
>>8132153
>>>8132168
Yeah, it really sucks that there is no market left for short stories, people don't even read non-sf/f literary mags.

Playboy actually use to be pretty good magazine who published both genre and non-genre stuff, now they don't even publish nude women so whats the point.
>>
>>8132322
I only have First King through Talismans, Elfstones also being my favorite. Read Voyage only once. I didn't realize he was also writing prequels.
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg (526 KB, 1589x1200) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg
526 KB, 1589x1200
>>8132420
I think that series was the only major prequel he did, besides First King or whatever (which I haven't actually read.) Basically, Shannara is post-apocalyptic North America after demons from his Word & Void series fuck everything up and take over what they can.
>>
>>8132125
>with over the top magic systems.
that's more thanks to video games
>>
>>8132308
You can do it! Can't make a silk purse from a Pig's ear!
>>
Any fantasy with a hermaphrodite main character?
>>
File: A_Double_Shadow.jpg (52 KB, 304x499) Image search: [Google]
A_Double_Shadow.jpg
52 KB, 304x499
>>8132778
Yes actually.
>>
>>8132808
Might technically be Sci-Fi though.
>>
Are The Wheel of Time and Malazan series the most "epic" fantasy novels in the strict term?
>>
anyone read the Space Merchants?

worth a read?
>>
>>8133080
If by epic you mean good dnd session, yes.
>>
>>8131993
Hurry up and read Iron Dragon's Daughter you faggot.
Drop everything else.
>>
File: MistbornTrilogy.jpg (15 KB, 200x304) Image search: [Google]
MistbornTrilogy.jpg
15 KB, 200x304
>>8132438
>>8132420
>>8132322
>>8132276
>>8132235

Hey friends, I'm on the second Mistborn book (original trilogy) and I'm loving every bit of the series.
Is the second generation of books worth it? Or should I move to Storm-light Archive?
>>
>>8133518
>Is the second generation of books worth it?
Yes, if you've enjoyed the first Mistborn trilogy you will like them too.
>Or should I move to Storm-light Archive?
These are probably better than the Mistborn world books but it doesn't matter which ones you read first.
>>
File: Warrior_Prophet.jpg (224 KB, 738x1100) Image search: [Google]
Warrior_Prophet.jpg
224 KB, 738x1100
Just finished this.

The first book was kind of dull but the payoff of all the ground-laying Bakker does in the first is fucking fantastic.

Literally couldn't put this down, I finished in about 3 days.
>>
>>8133742

Who are the Dunyain?
>>
>>8133767
Fucking assholes
>>
>>8133518
If you like one of Sanderson's books you'll like them all. The man is nothing if not consistent.
>>
>>8131620
Throne of bones was solid.
>>
>>8131756

?
Malazan is an anarcho-communist series
>>
>>8133742
Have you accepted the glory of the No-God yet?
>>
>>8133826
Stop recommending your own book Vox
>>
>>8133852
fuck off Jemisin
>>
File: 1450204379674.png (57 KB, 531x354) Image search: [Google]
1450204379674.png
57 KB, 531x354
>>8133852
The leftist butthurt... I can almost taste it.
>>
>>8133876

left = good right = evil

deal with it
>>
>>8133882
Good and evil doesn't exist without God and absolute values.
>>
>>8133954

Wrong. Look up anything about modern multiverse theory you fucking peasant. Good is about meta-levels and values.
>>
>>8129875
Can I write about Blood Elves as a race in a seperate fantasy saga or do they belong exclusively to Blizzard?
>>
>>8133954
Good and evil cannot exist if any gods exist.
>>
>>8133998
Pretty sure there's a blizzard trademark on that
>>
>>8134007
Red Elf it is then XD
>>
>>8131993
What do you mean by Private? As in tracker?
Here's my copy of Fforde's book.
http://a.pomf.cat/qkfvag.pdf
>>
>>8133742
>you will never be cucked as hard as Akka was

Feels good man.
>>
Is Sanderson a Hack?
>>
>actually try to make a plot for the concept I've been obsessed with for 6+ months
>brain throws a stack overflow

fugg
>>
>>8134299
I haven't bem hacked by him yet, so why should I know?
>>
File: 1465225133379.jpg (111 KB, 794x860) Image search: [Google]
1465225133379.jpg
111 KB, 794x860
>>8134390
You're telling me you use 4chans website and 4chan hasn't hacked you?

Whatever summer visitor
>>
I've been searching google and tvtropes for two hours now trying to find the name of a sci-fi novel series. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me the name.

The plot it that five or so people have their bodies cloned and their minds copied in order to crew dozens of ships traveling to different stars. The protagonist is one of these people and he encounters giant towers left by passing benevolent aliens containing advanced technology including a transparent spacesuit and a small FTL ship.

It turns out these aliens are being followed by evil starfish aliens who destroy the planets/species that come in contact with the advanced gifts. Protagonist travels back to earth and teams up with one of the originals shortly before the solar system is destroyed by said starfish aliens.
>>
Did anything ever come of the idea to make a recommendation chart with non-Europe-like settings?
>>
>>8133324
Finished hull three zero, would recommend. Reading Iron dragon now.
>>
>>8130413
>>8131930
>>8131979

What's your issue with this?
>>
>>8134551
>Catching Fire had well written female characters
Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>8134186
T-thanks, but I had a long ass backlog. Will be put on backburner.

>>8134515
So far I would recommend Iron Dragon daughter, now read the fucking book and stop asking me.
>>
>>8129875
Ive resently gotten a subscription to analog. Its pretty nice. I had forgotten how good science fiction short stories could be. The best ones are highly imaginitive and are really worth your time.

As far as what im reading, I just finished the first book in the new recently translated Legend of Galactic Heroes Book subtitled Dawn. Its kind of hard to say whether or not I liked it. I ended up buying the book because I really enjoyed the anime series and I was hoping that the book would futher explain the science and technilogical reasoning for how the setting worked. It ended up explaining things only a little bit. Later books will likely go into more detail.

At first I was kind of disapointed because everything in the book seemed to have already been covered by the anime. It seemed really astonishing for an anime to follow a book so closely. But about halfway through the story began expanding past what was in the show. Especially interesting was the philosophy of war that Yang talks and thinks about which is expanded apon quite a bit from the anime.

I cant quite exactly remember, but it seems like the book spans more than a third of the anime. And being only 292 pages long it moved along pretty quickly. Will definately be buying the next book soon.
>>
File: logo.jpg (4 KB, 186x124) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
4 KB, 186x124
Is the meme about Gene Wolfe inspiring the Pringles logo true?
>>
>>8134803
>meme
How can it be a meme when I was rhe only person who asked this question 4 threads ago? No one answered me yet either.
>>
File: 1453667306818.jpg (203 KB, 753x753) Image search: [Google]
1453667306818.jpg
203 KB, 753x753
So I just finished Dune. I'm gonna be honest, I had to force myself through it until Paul and Jess met the Fremen Tribe. After that I read reasonably and enjoyed it a lot, but getting there was a chore. Which is weird, because normally I love the establishment of setting and understanding the world around the characters.

Anyway, where do I go from here? Do I leave it as is, or continue reading the other five or so books Herbert wrote? I already know not to touch anything his son or his son's friend wrote.
>>
File: 1462081210552.gif (1 MB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1462081210552.gif
1 MB, 500x365
>>8134001
Without the absolute you cannot have concepts such as good and evil. There can be no morality under relativism.
>>
>>8134910
Strange, I was the opposite to apparently. I enjoyed everything up until the Fremend, and then only enjoyed the finale after that.

As for sequels, everyone agrees that Masiah and Children are good, but the rest are so-so. It's your choice to read them.
>>
>>8134895
Uhhh it was me who asked that.
>>
File: 2.png (2 KB, 229x83) Image search: [Google]
2.png
2 KB, 229x83
any collected epubs in a mega file or something?

if not, i have most of the fantasy recs. ill make my own someday and share it to /lit/
>>
>>8135242
The only /lit/fag who actually made a collection never shared it.

This is someone's bibliotik dump of scifi and other random shit though:
http://share.soupwhale.com/bibliotik/
http://share.soupwhale.com/bibliotik2/
>>
File: 1445652413157.jpg (18 KB, 523x212) Image search: [Google]
1445652413157.jpg
18 KB, 523x212
>>8135260
ill do it, then....it's going to be a monstrous undertaking, but i'll autisticly go through it one day and upload. it'll be a while, but one random day you'll hear from me again. i've been meaning to do it for a while.

it'll be fantasy.

might do a general one too and just throw the thousands of books i have in my folder "Books" up

thanks for the links
>>
>>8135302
If your missing anything or find shitty uploads I have access to bibliotik and myanonamouse so I can try snatching a better copy from there.

Also don't forget #ebooks on IRChighway/Bookz on Undernet (but the latter is less reliable), Mobilism, Kat.cr, gen.lib etc.
>>
>>8135308
yes, gen and bookzz is how i got most of it.

thanks.

i actually do have a request: Paul Edwin Zimmer's Dark Border series.
>>
File: file.png (34 KB, 1168x418) Image search: [Google]
file.png
34 KB, 1168x418
>>8135316
>Dark Border
Ah, the joy of not being able to find books. ;_;
>>
>>8135321
t-thanks anyway. its pretty much incredibly rare. i might even get it through the 'net sometime by purchasing it
>>
File: file.png (3 KB, 116x68) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 KB, 116x68
>>8135323
It might just be because it's only in a print format. Uploaders everywhere would much rather just load a book into their client (preferably from a library like overdrive) then scan everything out.
>>
>>8135325
Yeah, makes sense.

What about the sequels to Majestrum?

I also have one last request but I can't remember the name of the book...I appreciate all this, senpai.
>>
>>8135321
>being this poor
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0425065529/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 590x144) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26 KB, 590x144
>>8135327
Dude, I think I was the one who looked up these requests for you last time so I doubt it's there but I'll check anyway for you ;_;

Ok anon.
From what I understand 'Majestrum' has sequels:
The Spiral Labyrinth (Tales of Henghis Hapthorn, Book 2, September 2007)
Hespira (Tales of Henghis Hapthorn, Book 3, 2009)
>>
File: 1453766181742.jpg (252 KB, 1025x1003) Image search: [Google]
1453766181742.jpg
252 KB, 1025x1003
>>8135347
Thanks, anon. You very well could have been, ha. Funny how that happens.
>>
>>8135350
Shall I grab those two for you or are the wrong series?
>>
File: 1449275335824.png (52 KB, 203x252) Image search: [Google]
1449275335824.png
52 KB, 203x252
>>8135355
Nope, that's it! Thanks a million.
>>
>>8135355
*they the
>>
>>8135356
Here we are:
http://a.pomf.cat/adlsfz.epub
http://a.pomf.cat/nlfrky.epub
>>
Is Malazan good?
>>
>>8135364
Go find out :)

I hear literally nothing but praise, people say it's the best fantasy next to Tolkien and Wolfe. Some people think it's better than Wolfe.
>>
File: 1459233357609-1.png (255 KB, 471x489) Image search: [Google]
1459233357609-1.png
255 KB, 471x489
>>8135363
based anon is based and delivers
>>
>>8135376
No worries dude.
>>
>>8135371
>people say it's the best fantasy next to Tolkien and Wolfe. Some people think it's better than Wolfe.
kek
Who the fuck says this?
>>
>>8135388

Go home time traveling dinosaur
>>
>>8135388
jej idk maybe /shit/ was shilling it hard when i first heard about it. either way im hyped.
>>
>>8135388
I do.
>>
>>8135364
Yes.
The first book has some flaws though.
There is not much in terms of explaining the world.
Which leads to many people calling the book confusing.
>>
>>8135376
So you're doing a collection of not only the books in the charts, but also including all the other books in the series (if it was a series)? That's some impressive autism, friend. Good luck!

I'm 3 books short of making a physical representation of the general chart (not that I'm going to do it).
>>
>>8135409
I'm pretty sure that guy's the one who's downloading every rec ever made on the thread.
>>
File: 1442983990994.jpg (44 KB, 500x459) Image search: [Google]
1442983990994.jpg
44 KB, 500x459
>>8135409
Yes exactly, autism supreme. Thank you! I have almost all of it.
>>
>>8132096
YouTube """"""""""intellectuals"""""""""" are the scum of the earth.
>>
File: 1458802174941.jpg (44 KB, 488x410) Image search: [Google]
1458802174941.jpg
44 KB, 488x410
>>8130893
Black Prism is S tier, the whole series is really. I read though it, then got a Graphic Audio version of the series from my GF for my Bday, I was skeptical but I actually found it was really complimentary to the story.

Normally wouldn't recommend an audiobook, but this was the exception.
>>
>>8135505
You have very subpar taste.
>>
>>8135505
>not a full cast audio drama by Big Finish
I never listen to audiobooks.
>>
File: myshittastes.png (3 MB, 1000x1190) Image search: [Google]
myshittastes.png
3 MB, 1000x1190
>>8130893
No TNotW sadly
>>
>>8130944
Words of Radiance is much more dramatic, the pacing is much better than the first book.

Shallan becomes a much more interesting character.
>>
File: Dayside Taldain.png (1 MB, 579x807) Image search: [Google]
Dayside Taldain.png
1 MB, 579x807
>White Sand Volume 1 releases on the 29th
>PC version of Zero Time Dilemma is out on the same day
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>>8135347
>have bibliotik account for well over a year, probably two years or so
>barely use it, don't even know what to download
I've grabbed maybe ~10 books total off of the place ever. Not sure how to feel.
>>
>>8134910
Wow, that's fucking weird, because I consider the first 3rd of that book to be at least a 95/100
>>
I'm a huge fan of the Dark Souls games. Any book I can read that has that kind of heavy and grim atmosphere while also not being aimed completely at teenagers?
>>
Why do so many sci fi books have such shitty endings? Are we just in an era where cynical, open ended and depressing endings are thought of as more meaningful and artistic?
>>
>>8135541

Yes.
>>
>>8135532
I dunno. Every time I find a shit version of a book on MAM or kat I just dl the retail version off Bibliotik. Since with retail it's basically a guarantee that the book has either been ripped by the user or ripped by a person on bacon bits (with the same retail requirements as Bibliotik.) It's also an easier process in the middle of the night when my computer is off and my phone doesn't support XDCC to get it off Bibliotik and just FTP that file across - especially if I'm desperate to read it.

I also use my account to fill requests here, look things up for people and grab textbooks and stuff. It also fills that part of me that loves to hoard. Finding out quickly about deDRM tools and getting access to resources is just part of the bonus.
>>
>>8135540
There are, but how's that related to Dark Souls, which are aimed at teenagers?
>>
>>8135544

What?
>>
File: 15161151615.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
15161151615.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>8135540
>>
>>8135510
Give me your taste, name your top 3, hun.

>>8135511
I spend a lot of time at the gym and music is trash compared to books, so I'd rather listen to audiobooks.
>>
>>8135556
Audioplays/dramas are seriously so much better than audiobooks. Music suite, voice actors for every characters and it doesn't rely on narrating everything - it's like television without the visuals. Once you listen to one of those stories, you'll never want to listen to an audiobook again. I agree about the convenience factor, though, but with audiobooks you have to wait for it to wait for a bloated download recorded in awful (often 32 kbps) quality. When I get a book I get my fix instantly and don't have to worry about shit or annoying or slow narrators.
>>
Before I forget to even ask, could someone tell me the time window that the Endeavour can stay on Rama? I'm only halfway through the book Sports and Sex guy is flying his airbike to South Rama and I'm sure something will happen to make them stay longer but no spoilers please. The original time length would be fine. I'd ask for a map but I'm sure that would be a huge obvious spoiler. It's just hard to understand the topography(?) not knowing Metric or familiar with the type of vernacular used describing objects in a weightless environment.

>>8135543
I use bookzz for textbooks fuck I hope I can find the books for my grad courses and tend to use bibliotik or #bookz for books. Although if it's a very popular title I generally google it instead since that's faster.

I read the books on my Kindle 3 in .mobi format but I notice sometimes I can go to the next page then go back and the page content will be changed a bit. Like there could be an extra sentence/paragraph from the next page, or one less sentence/paragraph because it moved to the next page.
>>
>>8135562
I've tried both and enjoyed both, but I agree that most audiobooks are shit. People like Nick Podehl, Steven Weber, and Susan Duerden can pull off full casts, dozens upon dozens of accents, and most importantly: the opposite sex actually sounds like the opposite sex.
>>
>>8135546
If you want books like dark souls you want books aimed at teenagers.
Black Company
Malazan
Lovecraft
>>
File: warbreakermapsmall.png (401 KB, 1024x634) Image search: [Google]
warbreakermapsmall.png
401 KB, 1024x634
>>8135575
>Black Company
>teenagers
You need a lot of perseverance to get through that entire series which most teenagers don't have.
Teenagers likely wouldn't even understand Lovecraft.
>>
>>8135579
>Teenagers likely wouldn't even understand Lovecraft.
I've never met a person who has either read him after his or her teenage years or had problems understanding him.
I like some of his stories, but he's now basically THE author you want to read when you are 15-17 alongside say Orwell.
Reading long books also isn't a problem at all, it's the difficulty of content.
>>
>>8135566
My order for searching textbooks is:
1. Kat
2. filetype: search
3. Mobilism
4. Bibliotik
5. TPB
6. I search my library's website and oftentimes I have been able to download and deDRM that.
7. A more detailed google search often drawing key words and phrases out of the book.

For fiction - on computer
1. Kat, mobilism (most mobilism books are retail), MAM (ratio is cheap and easy)
2. #ebooks IrcHighway. Undernet #bookz is actually seriously subpar compared to IrcHighway but I use both anyway. I have found that sometimes the searchbot actually goes down and there are more fileservers on IrcHighway.
3. Bibliotik, What.cd
4. general google search. Sometimes books will end up in weird places like tumblr and VK.
Read pdfs on Foxit phantom reader, read everything else on Calibre
For phone I use bluefirereader for epubs, a Yomo version modded into a pro version using Flex 2 for others. I've never noticed problems with vanishing text. I'm too cheap to buy a proper ereader and would find it annoying trying to remove ads probably and getting the formats to load/convert over.

>>8135572
I guess if you get a good one it's great and if it's bad then it sucks. Maybe I'm just oldfashioned and like to imagine voices in my head with books. Certainly causes eyestrain though.
>>
>>8135364
No, it's meme tier.
>>
>>8135585
>actually goes down
* on undernet
>>
File: elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (932 KB, 2323x1721) Image search: [Google]
elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
932 KB, 2323x1721
>>8135583
Maybe you live in a better area than I do. I never personally knew many others in my age group (during the teen days, clearly) who read, much less read something like Lovecraft.

all dem AR points though
>>
>>8135397
I kinda felt this way about it, sadly, I still have the first book, but I can't seem to get into the story.
>>
File: elantrismaplarge.jpg (183 KB, 923x1384) Image search: [Google]
elantrismaplarge.jpg
183 KB, 923x1384
>>8135585
>Mobolism
So this is kinda like warez-bb but for books, right? Neat. I didn't know about this. Bookmarked it.
I do notice #bookz really doesn't have some things in odd scenarios but I'd never remember IrcHighway.

I don't read books on screen. Comics/manga, sure. Had my e-reader for 5-6 years now and never had an issue. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Even dropped it twice in my new place and smacked it down once when I went to catch it, didn't break it or stop it from working or anything. I don't know what you mean by ads, though. The only ad I ever get is the default screensaver and I never have wifi turned on so it's just a stock Amazon scene which doesn't bother me because I'm obviously not looking at my e-reader unless I'm actually using the thing. It's easy to convert with calibre too.

Literally no excuse, man.
>>
>>8135607
>So this is kinda like warez-bb
Mobilism probably has more retail quality books than Bibliotik. The bad part is that everyone uses shitty ass sharing links for money that often come with viruses.
>>
What's some good romance sci fi? Yes I'm a lonely manchild.
>>
>tfw fantasy story is at 56 pages now

it's slow going but I'm getting somewhere
>>
>>8135609
Oh that's aggravating. Fuck them.
>>
>>8132096
I agree with this guy.

As someone who is a fan of the show and never read the books, I decided to start reading them. Currently, I am halfway through reading AGoT. To see how the books compare to the show, I decided the re-watched the first three episodes of the first season.

As that guy said in the video, the show does not capture the tone of the book. There are many differences with parts removed, added, changes in sequence or parts done completely different.

I don't understand why the show changes and or removes things from the books. Not everything is going to be 1:1 with the books, but the things they changed don't make sense. It is like they only did some changes because they wanted to make it theirs and not GRRM's.
>>
>>8135611
>actually using pages to signify how much you've written

Fucking retard. How many words? If it's not at least 20k don't even pretend that you've made a start.
>>
>>8135612
There are some books that you will only be able to find on mobilism unfortunately. Just keep clicking around or use jdownloader. Mostly it's just awful timers.
>>
>>8135616
Rude. It's at 28k, I'm taking my time with though because I'm not writing it like a pulpy sword-and-sorcery type.
>>
>>8135623
Nice. Third or first person? Male or female (or multiple) protagonist?

If it's not sword and sorcery, how would you describe it?
>>
First person, narrated by the protagonist. He is ageless and the way I progress the story, it's as if his consciousness swaps between numerous bodies over the course of the story. He's an ageless person trying to assimilate onto the new world he's landed on, but his agelessness stops him from truly mingling with societies because they all wither away. I think I want the climax of the story to be that he thinks that he becomes a sort of god or spirit that haunts the land. It has fantastical aspects but there's not much action, no things like warrior quests and magic.
>>
>>8135635
meant for >>8135626
>>
>>8135623
>Not writing trashy pulp with half naked slutty women and high T warrior men
>>
>>8135635
sounds fairly original I guess so props for that
>>
>>8135635
Your character is literally Doctor Who.
>>
>>8135641
I want to write an uncomfortable Colonial story at some point, about a spergy cartographer teenager who gets sent on a expedition, and the party discovers a tropical city state, dominated by a Matriarchy, and all the men ingest plants filled with hormones to make them more like women.
>>
File: 1464994128027.jpg (213 KB, 831x1172) Image search: [Google]
1464994128027.jpg
213 KB, 831x1172
>>8135645
Oh, you're that kind of writer. So are you a womyn or a Jew?
>>
>>8135651
Neither, not sure what that has to do with it. I just thought it'd be different. There's nothing for that yet though because I'm worry I'd fuck it up. Would like to compile notes before starting it.
>>
>>8135635
First person can be rough to do the whole story with, because it's hard to develop side plots, but props to you for choosing it, especially as it's heavily character-driven.

How do you make each successive society interesting? Doesn't the reader get bored of seeing all the side characters die of old age?
>>
>>8135651
Could be alright if it ends with the island being purged by redcoats
>>
>>8135659
There's not much for the characters to be developed, many new people are introduced and then abandoned within the same chapter. But I do this because I want to show the passage of time. The only really important characters to follow in the story is the protagonist, the Sun, the Day Moon and the Night Moon.
>>
>>8135645
interesting idea. it would all have to be executed very carefully though.
>>
>>8135671
Thanks, I agree. It'll be a project for the future.
>>
>>8135663
Which begs the obvious question, how are the terrestrial satellites and the star characters?
>>
>>8135676
Not sure what you ask but I refer to the Sun and Two Moons as actual celestial bodies that are worshiped as Gods in the story. The protagonist worships them too, I believe near the end of the story he might think himself a divine agent of them, if not a god or spirit.
>>
>>8135657
>not sure what that has to do with it
>Matriarchy
This is a telltale of stories written by womyn, either men are evil and in charge or women are magically empowered somehow to rule over men.
>Trannyshit
This is pure kikery.
>>
>>8135689
Well I had the idea of the story being similar to Cortez's experience, where a handful of colonials topple a native empire. The matriarchs fall to the patriarchs.
>>
>>8135689
boards.4chan.org/pol/
>>
>>8135698
There's nothing political about the way most women write, they simply can't think beyond "muh vagina".
>>
>>8135704
>>>/r9k/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.