[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think homosexuality occurs? If it's genetic,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1455161119189.jpg (79 KB, 468x396) Image search: [Google]
1455161119189.jpg
79 KB, 468x396
Why do you think homosexuality occurs? If it's genetic, is there an evolutionary benefit to having members of a population attracted to the same gender?

Serious question.
>>
No evolutionary benefit as gay people don't reproduce. But many are exceptionally intelligent and creative, more out of the box thinkers. Maybe it's that on this planet there is something called love and maybe it doesn't matter and the real key and meaning to life is to love ourselves and one another because we are all one
>>
One possible evolutionary reason is to remove genes from the gene pool as the loss of alleles is part of evolution.
>>
>>6118106
>No evolutionary benefit as gay people don't reproduce.
It's theorized that it may be caused by a gene that increases fertility among female specimens. Genetics is a very hard field as traits often aren't reglated simply by a specific gene and specific genes don't simply cause a specific trait, besides that and genetic interactions, you still have to take into account the fact that the environment often change if/how strongly a gene will manifest. Epigenetics makes things even more complicated.
>>
>>6118020
There's the obvious reason which is that it's nature. That's just how nature is. By nature I mean all of the myriad systems and sub-systems interacting on so many levels to a degree the human mind cannot comprehend without some over simplification.

The other question is has homosexuality given an edge to the human race?

To answer that history says a resounding yes. I don't even need to make an effort on this one, I just say one name, Alan Turing. Discussion over.
>>
>>6118020
It's just thought to vary from both genetic and environmental factors, and I believe most cases of homosexuality were caused mostly by genetics.

No, there is no evolutionary benefit, just the way we are and there isn't anything too bad about that.
We may not have any desire to have sex which leads to procreation, but it doesn't mean we can't procreate at all.
>>
>>6118106
>No evolutionary benefit as gay people don't reproduce.
Reproduction uber alles is a myth produced by a poor understanding of science. It's because humans don't have to reproduce to contribute to the whole that they better than other species.
>>
>>6118167
there might be an evolutionary benefit like whole society-wise. Maybe its a good thing for the benefit of the whole civilization that not all people are breeding all the time. I mean how much of time and energy does raising children consume? Lots.

What if we have these gays who can help out with the breeders kids and you know, do all that shit that needs to be done while others are raising their kids
>>
>>6118179
>>6118188
Evolutionary altruism is the most basic example of this.
>>
>>6118160
But Turing didn't benefit humanity BECAUSE he was gay, he just happened to be gay.

I'm asking if there's any evolutionary advantage to homosexuality in populations. Or is it simply a random mutation that provides no real benefits to a group of humans?
>>
>>6118212
You're misunderstanding evolution and have it backwards.
>>
lots of people have some interesting views on evolution.

Evolution has not much to do with the question of Why.

Rather it answers the question of how.

You know, its just a process, a thing that happens.

Evolution is not some kind of intelligent being that creates and shapes life (that would be god, and that would be creationism)
>>
>>6118020

I there a study about the frequency of homosexuality in different ethnicities and societies?

It would be interesting to see if there are any factor that correlate to it.
>>
It happens more when population sizes are too large.
>>
japan
>>
>>6118020
>>6118615
sort of this: >>6118869

Pretty sure I've read that LGBT type behaviors increase when populations increase and even more so when populations become more dense. So there are more per capita LGBT within larger urban populations. I think most agree that LGBT occurs because of both environment and genetics/hormonal fetus conditions. So it could be some form of population control or some type of evolutionary safety mechanism that's a hold over from us being apes (bonobos exhibit homosex-type behaviors for the purpose of conflict mitigation so they don't kill each other) . Of course you could argue that gays just move to the big city to find more gays but I assume the studies controlled for that but who knows.
>>
>>6118869
shit meme, how would this even become a trait
>>
You guys act like some cosmic deity is behind all this, its literally just dues deciding to suck and fuck dicks.
>>
>>6120204
I thought the japanese picked who was gay?
>>
Gays happen more in dense urban populations because aftican desert tribes murder homos, theres no actual evidence that is useful to that idea. And gayness is likely just a slight error in the outrageously messy and dissorganised process that is growing an entire human from 1 cell worth of information
>>
it happens because women are gross icky and men are better
>>
>>6118020

Kin selection
>>
>>6120484
This is kind of anecdotal but in densely populated regions homosexuality tends to manifest more. It might just be a side effect of having more people together. On the other hand, it could be a response to population pressure.

The Greeks in particular normalized gay relationships, and in some places (Lacedamia) even lesbian ones. So it may have been the combination of a lack of reliable contraceptives plus a lack of land to give to excess children.

However, that is counter to the idea that being gay is genetic and unchangeable because it suggests everybody becomes bi due to external factors.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.