[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the struggles of LGBTQ people of color and trans people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 2014-07-31_08-31-16.png (886 KB, 1351x633) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-31_08-31-16.png
886 KB, 1351x633
Why is the struggles of LGBTQ people of color and trans people forgotten about during Stonewall riots? There has been almost a white washing by mainstream culture that the Stonewall riots were all 100% CIS gendered white gay males.

African Americans and Latino Americans heavily frequented the bar due to homeless LGBTQ black and Latino youth and young adults who slept in nearby Christopher Park.
>>
>>5939556
Well thats cause society likes to systematically erase the accomplishment of anyone who is part of a "superfluously exotic minority". If it isnt important to the people with the most power in society who care about it, then it isnt transmitted in the media. The LGBT people with the most power in society are cis white (masc) gay men, and therefore they want to craft a history of an LGBT movement that has always been run by them for them, and led by them, to diminish the accomplishments of everyone else lest they attempt to usurp control of the movement.
>>
>>5939614
>The LGBT people with the most power in society are cis white (masc) gay men, and therefore they want to craft a history of an LGBT movement that has always been run by them for them, and led by them, to diminish the accomplishments of everyone else lest they attempt to usurp control of the movement.

Do you think we could ever change this?
>>
bamp
>>
go back to tumblr
>>
>>5940530
>go back to tumblr

Nice rebuttal anon.
>>
>>5939658
>become majority
>get money
>hijack the jewish media machine
that's the only way to ever change it, but it won't happen.
>>
>>5940856
>hijack the jewish media machine

But I though statistically Jewish Americans are the strongest LGBT supporters in America. we need to overthrow the Christian media machine in this country.
>>
>>5939556
It's actually the other way around. It was a mostly white effeminate male deal, whether that hurts people's feelings or not. Do you think bars back then weren't segregated? Drag queens rarely got allowed into the bar, much less trannies. Not to say that others weren't present at the riots, but their presence has been largely exaggerated and mythologized, much like the riots themselves, which were largely irrelevant at the time.
>>
File: wrong.png (50 KB, 918x642) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
50 KB, 918x642
>>5941364
>>
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-monroe/dismembering-stonewall_b_1625272.html

>As the momentum of the crowd pushed my small group to Waverly Place, a block away from the Stonewall, we witnessed two white cops pummeling a black drag queen. “I should shove this stick up your ass,” said one of the cops as he pulled up her dress with a nightstick in his hand. The taller of the two cops yanked off her wig and laughingly tossed it to the other cop. Spotting us, the cop who caught the wig threw it at us yelling, “You nigger fags get away!”
>>
File: mericandik.jpg (115 KB, 750x709) Image search: [Google]
mericandik.jpg
115 KB, 750x709
>>5939556
Proving once again that white males are more pro active and forward thinking than anyone else out there. Even gay sissy man faggot males are better. Try and keep up with the white man mudskins.
>>
>>5941433
I wish I could look like him.
>>
>>5939556

White is a color. Stop using that stupid racist phrase. Just say "non-whites" if you need to name the group; it's three less syllables even.
>>
>>5939556
>There has been almost a white washing by mainstream culture that the Stonewall riots were all 100% CIS gendered white gay males.
White gay men are still white men. They still colonize and steal everything they can get their hands on.
>>
>>5939556
My question is why have we just started hearing about trans people. Lgbt was a thing but nobody started paying attention to T until a few years ago. Literally met people who thought it was just made up/a trend to support pedos and pc agenda.are people just really stupid?
>>
>media is run by straight people
>blame white gay men for this shit

tumblr sure does know who to send all their hate mail to. Just like that one fanartist they drove to suicide.
>>
>>5939556

I, personally, have never seen it claimed that it was 100% white cis gay men except maybe on here after the backlash to Roland's shitty film claimed the opposite. And Emmerich's movie doesn't make either of these false claims - the worst thing Emmerich's film did (outside of being a shitty Roland Emmerich blockbuster) was misrepresent the proportions. Except there's no solid way to absolutely measure the demographics of the riot, so even if we can agree that he ~probably~ inserted too many white people, it's basically quibbling over statistics that simply don't exist. Most accounts as well as actual photographs and the few surviving arrest records of the incident make it out to have been an ethnically mixed crowd with a strong drag presence.

Personally, the story that I'd usually heard (from white cis gay men and documentaries) was that it was started up by a bunch of poor drag queens. And this is true. No one ever told me they were white, and it was never implied that they were a bunch of clean-cut masculine rich guys. Maybe someone heard that story, but I never did.

The verifiable truth is that a huge crowd of people rioted for the bar - some black, some latino, some white, gay males, drag queens (some gay males, others later associated with trans&genderqueer stuff), lesbians... they can all be proven as having been part of it. The claim that it was just transgender or there were no white people is one I've seen routinely since the backlash... but it seems strange to respond to an alleged revisionist erasure with a definite revisionist erasure.
>>
>>5941394
So you just completely proved OP wrong with your image.
>>
>>5941940

I feel similarly - I was familiar with the idea of sex-change operations even as a child, and it was always something that my peers seemed fairly comfortable with. Even the stupidest people at least knew transsexuality existed from watching Jerry Springer. And while Jerry isn't a good source on transgender, I never thought he made gays and bisexuals (or anyone, really) look particularly good, either. It seems like the most basic concept in the world, so seeing people go around baffled that it exists is bizarre.
>>
Because it's bullshit. Those were very small minority and not even trans, just gay guys crossdressing aka drag queens. Show me where's your Frank Kameny and I'll believe lesbians and trannies didn't just piggyback on white gay men.
>>
>>5941940
Because the power that be didn't release the means necessary for passable transition until the last couple of decades and now there is more money to be made within that fringe group than it is in glb's anymore.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.