[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20 16/jul/08/star-trek-beyo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 2288.jpg (43 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
2288.jpg
43 KB, 620x372
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/08/star-trek-beyond-george-takei-sulu-really-unfortunate
>In response, however, Takei told that Hollywood Reporter that, far from being touched, he had urged Pegg and his team to rethink the decision, fearing that the sudden move did not honour the character as he was originally created, and sent a dubious message about whether people can suddenly change sexuality.
Is Takei a homophobe? How could he have had any problems with making Trek more inclusive? Are you looking forward to seeing the newer, better, gayer Star Trek?
>>
>>6528446
Seems lazy. Are the writers not talented enough to create an original character?
>>
He's right. When did this character show any signs of being gay? It's lazy and annoying because it's just another way to pander for progressive points. I am a glad a well-known gay man came out of the closet so to speak to prove that not all GAY PEOPLE demand for this kind of treatment. Can't Hollywood write any new characters anymore? Besides it's Kirk and Spock who should be gay.
>>
>>6528446
There are no gays in star-trek. Genetic modification basically made everybody a genius and got rid of all mental health issues, homosexuality included. This is why when Reginald Barclay has some kind of anxiety disorder they don't know how to deal with it.

>homosexuality is not a mental health issue!
yes it is, I am a gay man myself.
>>
File: 413.jpg (173 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
413.jpg
173 KB, 720x576
>>6528518
>Kirk and Spock
>not Spock and Bones
>>
File: 1467354974175.gif (1016 KB, 285x200) Image search: [Google]
1467354974175.gif
1016 KB, 285x200
>>6528446
I'm not a big fan George, but he's absolutely right, it's insulting to the original work, and if they really did care about being more inclusive and championing gay rights they wouldn't have gone the lazy route of just making an old character gay, why not write a new character? Oh that's right they just want "progressive" points without doing too much work
>>
>Is Takei a homophobe?
>Reads article

No.
>>
>>6528533
>Obesity is a health issue!
No it's not, I'm a fat woman myself.
>>
File: Anthonyburh.png (291 KB, 563x480) Image search: [Google]
Anthonyburh.png
291 KB, 563x480
He is literally doing god's work by fighting against this shoehorning in of LGBT characters for brownie points. It's not progressive or helpful at all and it comes off as sleazy and patronizing to me as a gay woman.

Reminder that this is the same line of thinking that Anthony Burch used to create memelands too.
>>
>>6528848
Kirk and Spock is better and canon
>>
>>6528446
Who cares. It's their movie.
>>
>>6528446
>is the cutest gayest most awesome homo queer man ever a homophobe?

Huh?
>>
>>6528446
>L"ongtime closet homosexual who is still receiving royalties from his role in a heterosexual cuck role against anything threatening his profit margins. In other news, another Christian pulled the head off their infant during an exorcism, police struggling to find a way to apprehend the demon and make it take communion."
>>
>>6528446
Takei isn't a homophobe, he's just not obsessed with representation and diversity. He believes that the character he portrayed, Sulu, was straight and thinks it's disrespectful to the character to suddenly switch him to being gay.

He's completely right.
>>
>>6531103
>muh fictional character's honor is being sullied by inclusive non-prejudiced representation in media
>>
>>6531112
>inclusive
Lazy writing and tokenism for the sake of brownie points is not inclusion

>non-prejudiced representation

What the fuck do you even mean?

This was supposedly done in tribute to takei, he disapproves for completely valid reasons, wtf are you on?
>>
>>6531136
>Lazy writing and tokenism for the sake of brownie points is not inclusion

Meme words do not change the fact that I want to see more LGBT people in media, and less heterosexuals

>This was supposedly done in tribute to takei, he disapproves for completely valid reasons, wtf are you on?
>This was supposedly done in tribute to takei

And he's just some worthless Uncle Tom gay, who only came out years and years after it was safe for him to do so, and only to put himself back in the spotlight when he'd long since become completely irrelevant. I don't give a shit about Takei, I've never liked him and never will. If one billion straight people tell me that Takei is supposed to be my role model, then I know there must be something wrong with him.
>>
>>6528446
>The actor reportedly encouraged the film-makers to be “imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted”.

You could just read the article you posted m8. I completely agree with him.
>>
File: tumblr_lmolkzoCQY1qaj5jro1_500.gif (471 KB, 500x308) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lmolkzoCQY1qaj5jro1_500.gif
471 KB, 500x308
>>6531161
>I don't care about anything logical my own personal biases are far more important
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.