[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So there's a transgender support group at my school that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: HaHnLHxrUSo.jpg (41 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
HaHnLHxrUSo.jpg
41 KB, 604x453
So there's a transgender support group at my school that have a lot of cis students in it that just want to support the trans community any way they can. One day a guy said "I would never purposely misgender someone because it obviously means a lot to them, I just don't understand why it means so much and their names too. I really wish I could understand" so an experiment started that we got the school staff to approve as well. 5 cis woman for 30 days went by a male name, male pronouns, and dressed in men's clothing. Family, school staff, and friends also called them everything male. 5 cis men dressed as feminine as possible, got hair extensions, and did the same as the cis woman did but with female pronouns and names. For the first few days they all laughed and didn't see what was so bad about it. After a week some irritation started to show. Two weeks it began to really annoy some of them. One of the cis women dressing and going by everything male said "if it wasn't for the eye opener for people to see the importance of names and pronouns I'd quit right now because this just sucks" on the 25th day when a teacher called one of the cis men by the girl name he was assigned and called him mam, he exploded.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (13 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
13 KB, 300x224
>>6288703
CONT

He screamed and ripped out his extensions and ran to the office screaming "that's not my name" the whole way. He called his mom and said he couldn't do it anymore. The other 9 participants all showed their own signs of distress and discomfort. On the 30th day one of the cis women said "I'm so happy tomorrow I can just be me again. I can't imagine living like this being my complete reality" the next day at school a teacher misgendered a trans student in one of my classes. One of the guys who had gone by everything female for 30 days shouted "HE" in a very aggressive tone. When this experiment started, I wasn't sure what would happen, I definitely didn't think it would impact them like this. The last thing that was said was from one of the cis women. She said "to all you handsome transmen and gorgeous trans women I hope you know I admire how strong you are. You're stronger than I am that's for sure. Names and pronouns and clothes were hard enough, I can't even imagine the rest. Stay strong"
>>
>>6288703
cis person here. If I did the 30 day experiement of dressing as the opposite sex and going by opposite sex pronouns, I would not give a flying fuck.
>>
>>6288728

>''cis person here, idk how I would react and ill probably never try this but i'm going to shit post anyways"

I think you forget how long 30 days is and how many social interactions you have each day relating to pronouns and gender ques
>>
>>6288703
fake tbqh m8.
>>
>>6288741
I know how long 30 days are. Hours can go real fucking slow.

still would not give a flying fuck if I wore a opposite sex disguise and was treated accordingly.
>>
>>6288774
I bet you can kung fu anyone who tries to mug you on the street too.
>>
>>6288797
plus beat, called faggot, followed, etc
>>
>>6288728
Hey, I've done it for 30 days too. Over and over. If you could and weren't just boasting (on the INTERNET) I still wouldn't be impressed.
>>
>>6288797
>>6288806

not my fault you don't pass.

Besides according to OP's story with no sources or article links, the guys and girls who were in the experiment weren't harrassed or beaten, they were just treated like the opposite sex.
>>
>>6288846
People have misgendered me a couple times, no skin off my back. I was actually surprised I could pass like that with no effort.

Androgyne master race bby.
>>
>>6288867
>not my fault you don't pass.

oh i pass lol, trust me. im just saying that YOU wouldnt.
>>
>>6288867

yeah you dont really consciously process just how differently we treat people of different genders until you experience it first hand

getting treated like the wrong gender fucking sucks but instead of being able to flip out and know itll be over after 30 days you have to deal with it every single day of your life until you die or decide to transition and it is the fucking WORST
>>
/watch?v=WXsYUa3JJwI&feature=youtu.be&t=27s
>>
>>6288899
only way you'd be beaten and bullied is if you were VISIBLY trans. Like obvious man in a dress bad.

>you wouldn't pass

but I do. I'm not even on hormones. Just genes. Andro enough that people sort of look at me odd until I confirm my real sex with full confidence and pride. Never got bullied for it.
>>6288879
>>
>>6288879
>Androgyne

Umm, I don't think OP's story is relevant to you then?
>>
>>6288953
but I'm cis. Just saying I wouldn't care if people constantly misgendered me.
>>
>>6288879
>Androgyne master race bby
gtfo femboi faggot
>>
>>6288966

how can you even say that you have never been chronically and repetitively misgendered in your life

like that is literally an enumerable privilege of being cis, you have no reference frame for or experience with being not cis
>>
>>6288966
So what? Your style is androgynous on purpose.
>>
>>6288983
>androgynous on purpose
not really. I'm just a slob. I guess I appear andro to some folks. Funny enough it depends on which region.

>>6288974
Except that I have? Had a job where everyone thought I was the opposite sex, didn't bother to correct them. When I quit, they still never knew, hehehe.

I just honestly don't care how people see me.
>>
>>6288703
>>6288704
Was there any writeup of the results of the experiment? I'd love to see it. As a transwoman, I'm not a bit surprised at the results.

>>6289007
>I just honestly don't care how people see me.
You are one of the very few.
>>
>>6289069
You are just unable to stop projecting how intensely you feel about gender onto others
>>
>>6288728
Then fucking do it, also my dad works at Nintendo too and we have a velociraptor in our basement but she only comes out when I'm alone.
>>
I wouldn't want to that for a single day. I know how much of a man I am and how much it would suck to look in the mirror and see a woman. Some people just don't care as much, but most of the world feels like I do. I'm not sure what this "experiment" was supposed to accomplish however. It was only able to be accomplished by people who were already open minded enough to give it a shot. Close minded people aren't gonna be able to gain any perspective or empathy from such a thing unless you forced them to do it. I don't think I have to elaborate on out how impractical, much less unethical that would be. I think the weirdest part of this is there were that many people that couldn't understand why it was big deal. I mean, they clearly learned it was, but it feels to me they were just so embedded in gender politics they forgot how to be feeling humans. If anything, I suppose it shows that being too cerebral about a subject and not feeling a situation out like a normal person can be detrimental to understanding people.
>>
some cis people really really really care about their masculinity or femininity.

Other cis people don't give a shit.
>>
Did anyone record the event in any way? Was it covered in the local news or school newspaper? Did students keep (video) diaries? Posts to Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook? School surveillance recordings? Daily interviews by the school counselor to record how participants felt?

If there wasn't any recordkeeping there was no point. It may as well be an urban legend.
>>
>>6288703
Should've gotten some form of recording involved. This is interesting but there's no way to know if this is true, being a story on 4chan and all.

I'm not sure if most cis people would have issues with JUST the pronouns. I feel like the pronoun thing is more frustrating as a reminder of my birth defect than anything else. I dunno though, a lot of trans people are bothered by their skeletal structure and that's something that I've never even really thought about. So, I dunno.
>>
>>6289089
No, I've been out as transgender for awhile. In conversations with many people, this >>6289162 is common. Many people could not survive a week. Gender is set very strongly in our heads.
>>
>>6289210
I sometimes wonder if there are ppl born with trans brains (assuming that the neurological theory is correct) that live out a normal cis lives without much problem because they also don't give a shit about masculinity or femininity.
>>
Although I doubt this happened, I can imagine people getting annoyed by this. I'm cis and I was bullied by someone who kept calling me by a feminized version of my name (e.g George -> Georgina). Although the bully only stayed at my school for a week it was super enraging. Then again I always get annoyed by people shortening my name so it could have been related to that.
>>
>>6290095
Patrick?
>>
>>6290119
That's not my name.
>>
sounds like some sort of weird fucking tumblr experiment

i am mtf and sometimes get misgendered. It aggravates me but it's not the end of the world
>>
Well whenever I get a source or link or something I might give a shit.

Otherwise this is as fake as the rape story thread.
>>
>>6288703
yeah so this totally didn't happen, and if it did it would be all over the internet. also nobody would actually get dysphoric because their bodies would still be their cis bodies. fuck off.
>>
>>6288928
>only way you'd be beaten and bullied is if you were VISIBLY trans. Like obvious man in a dress bad.
And people actually ask me "why don't you wear more feminine styles and makeup?" It's fucking this. I'd rather not be a social pariah. And I get gendered properly most of the time anyways, so I don't want to push it (I look more like a woman in guy clothes and more like a "dude in a dress" in women's).
>>
>>6290095
alimonos?
>>
>>6297236
Nope
>>
>>6296430

I have a theory that transphobia is a spectrum rather than a binary. So the more someone fails at passing, the more disgusted or angry people will get with them. A 20 year old neotenous gay boy who doesn't pass is very different from a 55 year old nonpassing masc hon.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 638x611) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 638x611
>>
I wonder if they have one at my college. Sounds like top notch people-watching.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.