[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about being gay or whatever that upsets parents so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image:373.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image:373.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
What is it about being gay or whatever that upsets parents so much? I'm not out. Yet my parents keep telling me to stop dressing so boyish and grow out my hair or whatever. I'm ultimately annoyed because I know that my mom is afraid of me being gay. I don't think I could ever come out to her. She's badgering me constantly and I'm tired of it. She tells me to grow up or warns me about stuff that people will say about me. I just don't get it.
>>
>>6266599
My parents, no matter how open-minded they claim to be, have this vague idea in their minds of how they'd like their kid(s) to age into adulthood. Usually, this vision of theirs does not include their kid being gay. It's the same reason why the stereotypical businessman dad laments his son's announcement that he doesn't want to take over the family business, but wants to be a novelist or something instead. Even parents who eventually end up supporting you take time to adjust to the realization that their kid is not a heterosexual and will not blend in with the mainstream idea of starting a cishet family. This idea obviously isn't as important to people now as it was in the last fifty years for example, but it's still there and for the most part has been drilled into the minds of our parents' generation. Then there's the worry that most parents have about their child's safety. They worry that you'll be discriminated against, possibly will be in danger at times, and will just have a generally more difficult life than your heterosexual peers.
>>
>>6266662
Most* parents (not my).
>>
>>6266599
Assuming your parents were born 40-50+ years ago, think of the culture they were raised in.

Being outed as gay was considered on par with being outed as a drug-addict, back then the media's assumption of gays was that they were all sucking dick in seedy bars and clubs hyped up on weird drugs and dying by the handful of aids. It's fucked up, but it's really hard to shake assumptions like that after living through it for decades, and probably keeping a friend group that perpetuated those ideas.

You get closed off from the world the older you get in a lot of cases, and so its a culture shock to realize gays can actually show up in their family.

t. someone who has a strained relationship with parents who are in their 60's
>>
>>6266599
As with anything there can be multiple reasons.

>backward ass norms

This one's straightforward. If you were raised to think the gehs are devil you will not be comfortable having your kids be gay.

Or, they may believe gay people count for less out of a crude chauvinism over perceived normalcy. Around here we call these kinds of dicks "normies."

Or, it could be they have some concept of manhood or womanhood that is very straight-jacketed and unimaginatice. They see their little billy dressed as a ice princess or young Betty scrapping with the other big girls in field hockey and cringe. Because they can't deal with the possibility that people might be all over the board with this shit.

Honestly, fuck parents. The sooner you don't feel you need em the better for you. If I ever have a son I am teaching him to be independent by the time he is 18. The best thing parents can do for their kids is teach them to not need them.
>>
>>6266599
Genetic suicide
>>
They want you to have a good and fulfilling life, which family and children are an essential part of. Not just so they can have grandchildren, but also for yourself. You won't understand how important it is until you're older. LGBT are stuck in a perpetual adolescence where they cannot progress to true adulthood of which raising young offspring is a critical phase. LGBT path is short-sighted and ultimately a lonely one, as the importance of sex dwindles greatly after 30, so you have great gay sex for maybe 16 years but at the cost of missing out on having a family which is what true love is from age 30 on to 90.
>>
>>6267984
Is it really that unconventional for gays to start their own families? I hope to one day also have a family...or at least get married and have a kid. One of the girls in my graduating class had two moms and no one seemed to think any of it...I hope. They seemed successful and happy...oddly so their daughter was raised religious and was apparently homophobic.
>>
>>6267984
>implying everyone actually wants to live past 50
>implying everyone has the mental resources and money to support children
>>
>>6267984
>a good and fulfilling life, which family and children are an essential part of.
>children
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>6267984
Westcucko baptist church plz stop
>>
>>6267984
Not everyone should have children. You, for example. Also I'm not in this whole gay thing for the sex. It's an inconvenient reality for me. I don't like women, I don't like most men. The few people I am attracted to or feel any sort of romantic attraction to are men.

Why are you here? I visit this board occasionally because of /wcg/ for feelsies time. I just don't understand how someone who honestly believes what you just said could find themselves here. I'm not trying to question your sexuality, but I am questioning your motive.
>>
>>6271892
No motive, this is just the realization that I came to after more than a decade of being gay then trans through my teens and 20s. Now ironically I physically can't have children. Dating and romance among LGBT people from my experience has no substance, it's all sexual and fetish, shallow. There is no real love. Not the true love that builds families and lasts into old age.
>>
>>6272505
Have you ever considered that you fucked up? I won't say that lgbt is an overtly romantic sort, but I will say that there are plenty of homosexuals who aren't in it for the sex alone.

I've never had anal sex, I have no interest in it. I've had one sexual partner, they being my last long term relationship. Most heterosexual relationships are passionless and without substance. Children don't automatically fix that. A person stable enough to actually properly care for a child could do just as well through adoption. If you couldn't care for an adopted child the same way you could a biological one, then maybe you shouldn't consider taking care of any at all.

I'm sorry you bought into the social bandwagon. I'm sorry that you fucked your life up. It doesn't say anything about homosexuals, though. It just says something about you.
>>
>>6266599
look. depends on your age know when to tell your parents . my mother would not tolerate my bisexuality but I realized it was because she had doubts or fear. she thought I wanted sex and nothing else. (Honestly , LGBT and heterosexuals there are people who just want sex but also those who seek a relationship , know the other person and of course sex then comes as a celebration of feelings and not only an act ) I explained this to my mother and everything is best. You still have to grow a little tell when you really feel it's time and you feel comfortable. also it depends on where you live, say if you want to have a better idea.
>>
>>6267984
children aren't fulfilling if you're a poorfag who can barely sustain yourself
I'm biscum and can actually have kids but I don't want to raise a kid in poverty like how I was raised
>>
File: Asriel_Dreemur_Transformed.gif (196 KB, 270x310) Image search: [Google]
Asriel_Dreemur_Transformed.gif
196 KB, 270x310
>>6266599
two concepts in tandum. Firstly, people hate things that are different from them, and will find ways to dehumanize and keep them out of their in group.

For example. a woman is a bitch to you, and a black guy steals from you. you blame the womans sex and the black guys skin, but you don't pin the blame on the black guy's sex, becuse that would put him in your in group. this is a natural human reaction that is difficult to overcome. differences are noted and divided over, similarities are always ignored in the interest of xenophobia without extra effort.

the second part is the betrayal aspect. they raised you and time invested in you can lead to them throwing their shit on the walls in stupid anger. on the other hand, this can work for you sometimes, as even reluctant parents for the idea will be lenient since they spent time with you and are therefore less likely to want to think they wasted their time in some way.

Thats why it happens but to see HOW it happens, theramin trees has an excellent video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUhR-tRkHY

it explains how the mind deals with this kind of thing.
>>
>>6274728
tl;dr also get your undertale shit off the board
>>
They're afraid because all of the religious assholes around them told them to be afraid, and they obeyed.
>>
>>6266599
Because it means you will become a genetic dead end. You won't give them grandchildren.
>>
>>6274833
I don't think my parents care if I produce children or not.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 960x540
Im home for the summer and I, being the dumbass I am, forgot to clear my history and my mom saw that I was on /lgbt/ and immediately asked why I was looking at "transgendered stuff"
>not even trans.
>told me I better not be anything like that or anything.
>>
>>6267984
>They want you to have a good and fulfilling life, which family and children are an essential part of
Is it actually true? I'm mean, obviously it doesn't always work. I know a shitload of people who left their spouse and children. You seem to have an idealized view of marriage and family probably because you think you are incapable of having one.
>>
>>6266599
For the moment they may see you as a straight person and because of that they are using yhe MANUAL OF HOW TO RAISE YOUR Straight KIDS instead of the appropiate one
>>
>>6274845
Ask them if they think about having grandkids someday. Just see what they say. I'd bet they do care.
>>
>>6267984
>all those (you)'s
seems you touched a nerve anon. honestly hope you find someone to be happy with tho.
>>
>>6266662
>dad laments his son's announcement that he doesn't want to take over the family business, but wants to be a novelist

no the dad laments that because being a novelist is fucking dumb

if you were good at writing you wouldn't have to set out to become a novelist
>>
Daily reminder being gay doesn't mean a dead genetic end and anyone who believes they are or that it would even matter if it was true doesn't fucking matter in a year past 1800, family is a legal construct, not in the modern era, not a blood one
>>
Think of it in terms of a Nuclear power plant.

Even though there is a ton of acceptance, fewer people want one close to them. This is the reason I have not come out as Ace to my parents. My mother would most likely accept it, but my father is the tricky one. He's part of an amateur theatre group, which draw gay guys like a moth to a flame, yet he is a lapsed Catholic, meaning that he might be accepting of gays, but only when he doesn't have to deal with them on a day-to-day basis.

Being gay/lesbian/trans/ace means that their chances of grandkids decrease massively and a popular meme amongst older generations is "Grandchildren are the interest on the investment you make into your children". Sure, you could adopt, but that doesn't carry on them genes.
>>
>>6280773
Because you know how parents just HATE adopted kids and will never consider them grand children

Or you know, how you can still impregnate a surrogate

But no gays are the end of genetic dynasties! Kill them all!

I swear /lgbt/ has serious self homophobia issues that it needs to either address or just fucking pull the trigger finally, you people make me so god damn angry with how you think you know everything, fucking faggot shills
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.