[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the idea of trans require gender to be biologically essentialized?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: judith_butler_ap_img[1].jpg (92 KB, 1280x832) Image search: [Google]
judith_butler_ap_img[1].jpg
92 KB, 1280x832
Does the idea of trans require gender to be biologically essentialized? How does that deal with the prevailing view of gender as a social construct?
And by the same logic then race can be essentialized and being transracial is as valid as transsexual. All the arguments about Dolezal vs Jenner, never actually solve that paradox, and simply whine about Dolezal's white privilege as if Jenner didn't have male privilege going in.
What do they mean when they say "I have a 'male' mind but female body"? Where is this idea of a "male mind" come from cognitively, socially, biologically? Or is transness simply a genitalia fetishism/body dysphoria with no actual cognitive basis?
>>
>>6253530

>>6253432
http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/03/30/qa_with_norman_spack/
>>
>>6253530
is this hegel tier word vomit or am I just too tired for this shit?
>>
>>6253530
I think the "male mind" and "female mind" comes from hormonal effects. Men are silent, violent, dont feel ect. I read that switching to estrogen causes you to become more emotional. Maybe genetics has something to do with it, like why some people like looking like a girl. I think brains are too hard to understand to accuratly pin it down though, some one once said "If the human brain was easy enough to understand, it wouldn't be smart enough to understand itself".
>>
>>6253621
>If the human brain was easy enough to understand, it wouldn't be smart enough to understand itself
[heavy breathing]
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 640x1136
>>6253530
Hormone abnormalities in utero cause GD, there is no analogy to race.

Why do you feel all the doctors are liars?
>>
>>6253530
like all sexual mutations and sex itself gender and gender identity is not a binary. mutations exist, variances, grainularity. you know, that shit puratin lazy shit heads like to pretend doesn't exist even though its fucking everywhere in biology, constantly making excuses for how it doesn't count? well all that shit comes into play with trans too. Trans is characterized by dysphoria, thats it. The treatment is becoming more physically in line with whatever will make the discomfort and depression go away. This does not have to drop your ass in a neat category and the only one that ever tried that shit on me was a hon. I want to be fully female, but trans is a physical-psychological ailment. it only relates to gender and sex in our social constructs vicariously in that you get a body you feel more comfortable in. How society sees you can affect it too, but unlike trans, everyone can be affected negatively by social perceptions.

there you go op.

people who use the binary system are explained by either A: desiring the most extreme of the other end of the spectrum based on disphoria or B: taking advantage or making use of the social convention that there are (socially) only two sexes and genders to explain to neutral parties their situation.

>>6254105
my mom had many growths during my development in her womb, that doctors only later found because the symptoms (long periods) where laughed away as her just being a woman bitching. this gives me some bias in believing that most trans is probably prenatal development related.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.