[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you consider the word "queer" to be a slur? I always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1463039709239.jpg (108 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
1463039709239.jpg
108 KB, 600x599
Do you consider the word "queer" to be a slur? I always hear the people around here talking about "them thar queers" so I was just curious
>>
It can mean several different things in different contexts. But it's used most often as a tactic to otherize LGBT people, which is why you'll sometimes (more often lately) see LGBT folks refer to themselves as "queer". It's taking the word that's historically used against them and wearing it as a badge of honor. Some even use it as a verb i.e. to "queer" something. Which means a queer person is taking something they see as part of hetero culture and making it theirs. This can often be juvenile and immature (LINK IS TRANS IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE YOURE A BIGOT) but it can be a unique way for queer people to cope with their status in society.
>>
>>6186330
I'm not a weak human being so words mean nothing to me. My friends call me faggot, queer, gaylord, cock gobbler and I find it hilarious. If someone legit tried to insult me with those words, I probably would still laugh. Mostly because the words sound funny. People are too sensitive nowadays, people just need to laugh shit off because the people who hate us aren't going anywhere.
>>
Much like faggot or nigger it depends on the context
>>
It's used by LGBT people a lot to avoid stepping on anyone's toes by leaving one of the snowflake letters out of the LGBTQIAA2QXYZ+ϵ alphabet soup so I don't really think so but it still can be used as a slur by someone using it in bad faith,
>>
Yes, but I'm not offended by it being used derogatorily like how faggot is

I do hate how it's being forced onto the entire LGBT community though. I mean, why queer? We're not calling gay men the faggot community, we're not calling lesbians the dyke community, and we're not calling trans people the tranny community, so why use a slur to address all of us?

Also it totally gives off a Tumblr vibe because they throw it around more than we say faggot
>>
Any word can be a slur, and any word can be fine.
It just depends on how, why and who you say it to.
>>
It depends on the context. I identify gays with the word fag quite a bit but not in derogatory way. it's contextual
>>
>>6187003
Also unlike words such as faggot, dyke, and tranny queer has a dictionary definition of "weird, out of the usual, abnormal"

The reason why reclaiming words like the n word worked is because the only meaning it has is a black person. You can't change the dictionary definition of queer. I'm not really bothered by tranny or faggot for that reason, they just mean trans or gay and don't have any other meaning to them
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.