[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this make you feel, /lgbt/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12
File: triggeredpony.png (332 KB, 577x517) Image search: [Google]
triggeredpony.png
332 KB, 577x517
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html

In addition to shattering old tropes and kick-punching dated ideas, the new "Powerpuff Girls" will also address issues of gender and identity. One upcoming episode in particular touches on ideas of gender identity -- a topic open to conversation even in animated shows, thanks to programs such as "Steven Universe," which explores gender fluidity and rejects established gender norms.

"We did an episode where there's a unicorn. Basically when it starts out, he's a pony, but he wants to be a unicorn," Jennings explained. "He has to go through a transformation to become a unicorn and so it's a whole [episode that asks], 'What are you on the inside? What are you on the outside? How do you identify yourself? How do people see you?' There's a lot of subtext in that."
>>
File: 1459309581150.jpg (10 KB, 465x200) Image search: [Google]
1459309581150.jpg
10 KB, 465x200
>>6000213
>TFW I'll never be who I am on the inside
>>
However you feel about "representation" in kids cartoons, this show is garbage and this has nothing to do with trans people. They're just trying to ride the coattails of Steven "space rocks have no gender" Universe.

Even if you did buy their bullshit analogy, the comparisons they make in this ep are pretty damn offensive.
>>
>>6000244
on the inside you're a skeleton
>>
>>6000249
Oh yeah, I follow a trans girl who does liveblog analyses on trans-related media and this episode was a wreck if they were genuinely trying to compare it to trans issues, but I'm going with the theory that they're just trying to ride SU's coattails
>>
>>6000213
>ms bellum removed because triggering
if they remove him as well then the show is pure pandering shit
>>
File: 2spooky - 7b1.jpg (51 KB, 377x400) Image search: [Google]
2spooky - 7b1.jpg
51 KB, 377x400
>>6000267
>>
File: 1458500904965.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1458500904965.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>6000249
>>6000856
Good, other people understand.
>>
>>6000923
Ms. Bellum is probably the absolute worst figure you could expose a young girl to. You almost never see her real face. Instead she exists from the neck down as the Mayor's overly-sexualized ornament. She's a caricature of vivaciousness that sets up as laughable a body aesthetic as any Barbie Doll. Worse, Barbie in her CGI adventures looks way more normal than Bellum does.

While she may be effective, she remains weirdly hamstrung to the male authority of the Mayor. She refuses to assume command even when it's clearly needed, and in an alternate world where the Powerpuff Girls left Townsville she spends her old age muttering incoherently about him as the city crumbles around her. She's more than capable of handling issues, but without a man to tell her it's OK she snaps.
>>
>>6000856
I'm pretty curious to read that if you're willing to link it.
>>
>>6000213
We don't need stuff like this injected into children's shows. Let the kids live a normal childhood and don't make them worry about this shit, ya know?
>>
>>6004974

this kinda tumblr senpai but I still appreciate your post.
>>
>>6004974
>Ms. Bellum is probably the absolute worst figure you could expose a young girl to. You almost never see her real face. Instead she exists from the neck down as the Mayor's overly-sexualized ornament. She's a caricature of vivaciousness that sets up as laughable a body aesthetic as any Barbie Doll. Worse, Barbie in her CGI adventures looks way more normal than Bellum does.

Wanna know how I know you don't spend time around actual kids? Because they don't pay attention to shit like that. I grew up with both Barbie and PPG and neither myself nor my friends noticed anything sexual about them until 3rd wave feminists tried to tell us that the stuff we liked as kids was wrong, which was after we were already in our early-mid teens.

Women who compare themselves to FICTIONAL CHARACTERS for beauty standards are either schizophrenics that need legitimate help or they're just spouting it out there to get attention.

Ms. Bellum was fine as she was, but the sad thing is the reboot is so irredeemable that even if they did include her it wouldn't save how poorly written and budgeted it is.
>>
>>6005061
not that person, but i think breastforce.tumblr.com made a lot of posts about it, they might be talking about her
>>
This would be more impressive if they didn't mock transgendered people in an earlier episode.
>>
File: if 8.jpg (208 KB, 1600x906) Image search: [Google]
if 8.jpg
208 KB, 1600x906
>>6006361
What episode when? I'm curious, but this is really bumming me out.
>>
>>6006384
I'm not exactly sure what that poster is refering to but the recurring character Him is basically Buffalo Bill
>>
>>6006608
I would certainly agree that Him is built on the idea that ambiguous gender presentation is scary.
>>
>>6006315
Tumblr's more upset about Mojo Jojo no longer speaking redundantly. At least in my corner of that space. There's also a future episode of HIM being taught that he needs to check his privilege because he's wearing clothes made for women, so he should thank women daily for his continued existence.
>>
>>6006384
In the very first episode buttercup joins the death ball team and the goalie is a giant bearded man on the all girl team with a girl name and cartoonishly high femme voice, so basically the "dude in a dress" trope except replace dress with girl's sports uniform
>>
>>6005823
>kids are not affected by media forcing their agenda down their throat

Yes, that's why there aren't any 12 yp girls with anorexia or killing themselves because they are not 'pretty'
>>
File: 1443974358941.jpg (68 KB, 561x542) Image search: [Google]
1443974358941.jpg
68 KB, 561x542
>>6006774
I was not expecting it to be that bad. It's not just "man in a dress," it's men invading female spaces, men competing in women's sports... It's basically a transphobe bingo.
What's worse is that the show is getting slammed on the other side of the aisle just for trying to be feminist at all. Which makes it even more disappointing that they're making mistakes like these, and alienating what would have been their most receptive, supportive audience.
>>
File: 661.jpg (437 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
661.jpg
437 KB, 1280x960
>>6000213
This sounds like cancer of a particularly token variety.
>>
>>6006945
Why can't a bearded man identify as a woman?

Do you have to be a pretty barbie doll to be a woman?
>>
>>6007025
The problem is not transwomen with facial hair, but the idea that transwomen are indistinguishable from cis men, and every bit as misplaced in women's spaces. Which is an idea frequently invoked by opponents of transgender rights.
>>
>>6007103
Well how otherwise would average people know they are trans?

Even if a passing trans girl states she's trans, she'll be a cis girl to their eyes, and then trans people would complain about lack of representation and impossible beauty standards
>>
>>6007128
There's a difference between making a transwoman character look different from cis female characters and portraying transwomen as bearded men who enter women's spaces by claiming to identify as women.
>>
>>6005061
>>6005061

Yes! I was talking about breastforce!
http://breastforce.tumblr.com/tagged/red-watches-ppg/chrono
Here ya go anon
>>
>>6005823
>schizophrenics
I don't think you know what schizophrenia is, anon-kun.
>>
>>6007155
Yeah, the difference is that the latter happens more oftrn irl
>>
>>6005597

I can say that as a former child, your worry is unnecessary. Some of us spend many years thinking about this without external prompts. Rather, it's important that this message is given, so those children know they're normal and not alone.
>>
>>6007025
>Why can't a bearded man identify as a woman?
unless they live on a bizarro planet where razors, scissors, or any other form of shaving hasnt been invented yet, they wouldnt have a fucking beard
>>
File: 5213935.png (352 KB, 533x526) Image search: [Google]
5213935.png
352 KB, 533x526
>>6000213
well they ruined it, seems like a politically correct feminist centric cuck fest
>>
File: kl-e-o.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kl-e-o.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>6000213
You know, for once I'd like them to have this plot device with people and gender instead of anthropomorphic animals becoming different species or robots becoming human(like) or talking foodstuffs that want to be royalty.

I don't typically cry for trans representation in media, because it sucks about 99.9% of the time and there aren't a lot of trans people making media in the first place.

However, when it IS done, it's always this meandering, half-ass shit. It's better just to not saying anything instead of confusing the shit out of children and making their parents scared about some new spooky counter-cultural threat to their very way of life.
>>
>>6008718
agreed
>>
>>6005823
>media has absolutely no bearing on social attitudes, concious or unconcious
>art does not at all take any influence from its creators opinions, thoughts and values, which almost always align with those of general society
>the increase of body image issues in girls in the past couple decades is just a coincidence
ok
>>
File: RETURN THE SLAB.png (175 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
RETURN THE SLAB.png
175 KB, 512x384
>>6000213
I miss the time where children's cartoons were about fun children shit with the occasional nightmare inducing horror.
>>
>>6009172
This
I wish every ~*~*humans are SPECIAL and UNIQUE~~*~ retard would just fucking hang themselves already.
We're all dumb, reeking social apes that develop almost entirely from group cues and behavior.
>>
>>6005597
cis kids wont give a shit about something like this, because theyre cis. however trans kids will maybe feel comforted or reassured or shit. youre worrying about nothing.
>>
>>6006951
imagine the amount of autism youve got to have to create such a retarded picture
>>
>>6007497
>>6006315
Thanks for the link. And wow, "yikes" indeed. I would never have thought they'd botch it that badly in a 2016 revival.
>>
>>6000213
Oh so Steven Universe really was SJW propaganda? I always thought /tv/ neckbeards were just making a mountain out of a molehill.
>>
File: top kek.jpg (13 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
top kek.jpg
13 KB, 500x332
>>6000213
>Steven Universe
>Genderfluidity
They're feminine space rocks ffs they even use female pronouns
Also genderfluid isn't a real gender
>>
>>6010845
if you consider transgenderism to be "SJW propaganda", than yes.
>>
>>6010845
No, it isn't really SJW bullshit. I've watched it many times, yet never really got the feeling that it was trying to push feminism onto people.
>>
>>6010902
>Watch Steven Universe for the first time
>Steven "merges" with his female best friend (that brown girl)
>Morphs into this tall, curvy young woman
>Looks all happy and excited
>Goes to nightclub
>Sexually harassed
>>
File: cory.jpg (35 KB, 320x405) Image search: [Google]
cory.jpg
35 KB, 320x405
>>6010950
I've never watched that show before, does this shit really happen?
>>
>>6010979
Yeah it was on Cartoon Network.
>>
>>6011025
Jesus, cartoons aren't what they used to be.
>>
>>6011034
Nope. Boomerang is still good though. CN is a mess.
>>
>>6004974
She's the average sitcom wife to the average sitcom husband.
If you have a problem with that then start writing letters to sitcom makers and remove all physically attractive female co-stars who fulfil that role and replace them with a dude or simply throw that trite dynamic out.
Science knows that I'M sick of it.

By the way, there are women who are very physically attractive and competent out there.
They also need a fucking role model as well. Should they be denied because you're threatened by her?

PPG the series that has the most bodytype representation and personality representation of women on CN is being lambasted because the woman in the typical brilliant female sidekick to stupid male leader archetype is hot as fuck.

>>6000213
Dude, SU and AT are only on the air in CN because of the queer mafia. They are doing horribly in ratings and in spite of how hard they push it with advertising and shwag it's been doing horrendously.

The entire network is kept afloat by teen titans go(which is right now getting infected by the same queer pandering nonsense) and uncle grandpa.
>>
>>6010979
Well, they don't become a hot young brown woman so much as an odd hermaphrodite that everyone is supposed to fawn over.

And less sexually harrassed, more hit on and then pitches a massive bitch fit when the guy who hits on...herm calls everyone else at the party a loser.

Entire ep was fucking odd. And I watched the flaming as fuck cow and chicken series. Well, as much as I could stand anyway.
>>
>>6011280
>queer mafia
lel
>>
>>6000213
I read that article before the episode and let me say
Yeesh
And I'm a straight white guy who doesn't even know a trans person and know that episode was a train wreck
>>
A cartoon thats encouraging love and understanding is a good cartoon. Its what kids need to be exposed to so they're not living in fear and spouting nonsense.
>>
HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE THERE'S A NEW POWERPUFF GIRLS SERIES?

FUCK YES

>>6006608
Yeah but Him is awesome.
>>
>>6011562
It's fucking shiiiiiiiiiiit

and not because of some behind the scenes sensibilities

humor, animation, writing, it's all just fucking shiiiiiiiiit

the original show's on netflix watch that
>>
>>6011617
Yeah I had a mild fear, just watched the first episodie.... how meh. Guess it's time to just rewatch the original and try to forget that all good things will eventually be disappointingly rebooted.
>>
>Steven Universe

You mean the show with the most absolute shit fanbase that everyone reviles now because of said fanbase? I feel really bad for the people who work on it because they seem like cool people but fuck their fans with a rake sideways. It's gotten to a point where you can't make anything "inclusive" because it'll attract those fucks on tumblr/twitter and the moment someone or something does something they like they turn into sub-human filth incapable of human emotion. It's why I pray every day for Dark Souls to never have an easy mode because the moment tumblr gets their hands on the series it's officially over just like Star Wars.
>>
>>6011280
>She's the average sitcom wife to the average sitcom husband. If you have a problem with that...

of course I have a fucking problem with that. Women are not a man's token ornament.
>>
>>6014895
There are so many other characters in the show of all different sorts and presentations, so a single one that you disagree with is cause for such offence? She was a fun character, the dynamic between the Mayor and her was funny, you're reading into it too much.
>>
I miss Samurai Jack.
>>
>>6014951
An offensive character is still offensive even if there are others who aren't.
>>
>>6014951
You're taking bait dude
>>
>>6014951
I agree with what you said that there are a multitude of other characters to look to, but just in general "you're reading into it too much" is a lazy thing to say because people say that about everything they don't like to consider the implications of.

Everything that exists feeds into what is to come. Bellum is one side character in one show, yes, but millions across the globe know her and are subtly influenced by her. She is not THE most important topic (or particularly important at all - calling her "the worst figure you could expose a young girl to" is hyperbole and optimistic) but I don't think that anon was wrong that she was a bit sit in retrospect.
>>
>>6006683
Fun fact: characters like Him actually made me love ambiguous gender presentation.
>>
>>6011280
>queer mafia
you mean...lesbians?
>>
>>6000213

I think I'll stick with anime gays, thank you.
>>
>>6015402
same, he was a great villain, i didnt see anything really wrong with him as a kid

although i could see how people say its an offensive portrayal
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.