[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Transgender Day of Visibility
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: TDOV.png (84 KB, 749x278) Image search: [Google]
TDOV.png
84 KB, 749x278
My apologies if people on the board think this whole thing is stupid or something. Idk, it's 4Chan. :/

Just wondering if anyone's heard of this/is doing anything special for it. I just finished painting my nails, but if anyone asks, I'm just saying it's for the event. Still mostly closeted for a while.
>>
When are we NOT visible?

... and goddammit, that's my fucking birthday.
>>
>>5949021
its my birthday too.
>>
File: 1458067613686.jpg (39 KB, 634x774) Image search: [Google]
1458067613686.jpg
39 KB, 634x774
>>5949017
>tfw I was going to come out and change my Facebook pics and gender here in a day or so
Fuckkkkk
>>
>>5949017
Well I guess im being fucking nervous as fuck all day
>>
>>5949021
>>5949049
Happy birthday anons !!!
>>
>>5949049
>>5949021
Happy birthday to the three of us :I
>>
>>5949067
make that four
>>
>>5949017
I fucking wish I could do something, I have to present male if I want to live in my own house right now, so just fuck my shit right on up, familia
>>
>>5949017

I have an entire social media portfolio in girl mode and have been gradually coming out to close friends

After I transition I'd rather not be visible or call attention to being trans kthxbai >>>/tumblr/
>>
I will wear something trans-related.

Can't decide between my face, my man-hands, or yuge shoulders, though.
>>
I'll be presenting my documentation for legal name change. That's about visible enough to make me all kinds of nervous.
>>
>>5949017
So is this like a day where trannies stop passing? Where they advertise "hey, I'm on hormones and pretending to be something I'm not!"? What is the point of this stupid event?
>>
>>5949338
i kinda get it but yeah... im trying to be invisible, its a lot nicer
>>
>>5949017
Visibility is the last thing I want.
>>
>>5949338
i thought it was a day for closeted femboys to come out of closet enough for any interested person to notice
i can't wait famillia
>>
>>5949021
>>5949049
>>5949067
Rolando?
>>
I don't understand why we need to have a special day for transgender visibility when most of you are visibly transgender every day of the year.
>>
>>5949017
I'm not seeing it on Facebook anywhere, is this mostly being contained to tumblrites?
>>
>>5950170
The idea is to make ourselves visible on our terms. To tell our own stories instead of letting cis people tell them. To show our own ways of living instead of the ones others would impose on us.

It's an awfully optimistic goal, when being invisible is the key to many of us living the lives we want to live. It's one thing to recognize that visibility ultimately leads to more social acceptance. It's quite another to sacrifice yourself to make it happen.
>>
>>5950219
Here's the event page I found on FB.
wwwDOTfacebookDOTcomSLASHeventsSLASH919341708134091/951533798248215/
>>
Yeah "visibility" isn't my favourite idea either. I just want to blend in.
>>
>>5950227
Very well said. This pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing. Thanks.
>>
>>5950962
this. transgender day of visibility is literally "hey look at me i am a gross freak"
>>
I left the house today. I was seen. The end.
>>
File: 2016-03-31 18.42.44.jpg (647 KB, 700x1243) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-31 18.42.44.jpg
647 KB, 700x1243
Happy #tdov.
>>
File: 2016-03-31 18.41.53.jpg (559 KB, 659x1171) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-31 18.41.53.jpg
559 KB, 659x1171
Happy #tdov, stay safe legbutts.
>>
>>5949017
This is the day I came out to my doctor to get a referral to start hormones. I had no idea it was a trans day. Still don't know why people's brains are beginning to be so accepting of trans people.
>>
>>5949017
it should be the first of april... because all you are is a joke!
>>
>>5949338
it's a day for afab cis "genderqueers" to post on tumblr about how much of a special fucking snowflakes they are and how that totally makes them "oppressed" and shit. Real trans people always get marginalized on this day, especially trans women (since we represent the vast majority of trans people that are attacked and/or killed.
>>
>>5949400
>>5949359

Think about the experience of the wider LGBT community for a moment. Before the gay rights movement, before Stonewall, before Pride, invisibility was the only protection for gay men & women. Discretion and coded signals - even the apparent hedonism of anonymous sex - were a form of protection through camouflage. But here's the thing, while invisibility might protect you from the threat of violence, it can never produce an outcome where the threat of violence is diminished or eliminated. Society's fears cannot be eliminated, its biases and prejudices softened, when the people who can't make it up feel as if they're really just biased against abstract non-entities or a handful of freaks off somewhere else. Only through becoming actual people in their minds can one hope to do that, and only by being visible can that happen.
>>
sooooo, it's 1 day before April Fools so if you regret coming out you can say it was a joke, right?
>>
>>5954183
Yup. It's scary as fuck, but like Sandy Stone wrote in The Empire Strikes Back, we just have to do it. And maybe we could stop attacking our brothers and sisters for taking that risk, too. Our internal division is ruinous.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.