[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good representation of gays in media? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13
What are some good representation of gays in media?

I'm not talking about the liberal stereotype that all gays are intellectual and always the moral arbiter of right and wrong, shows/games/etc that did gay characters right.

Greg and Terry in American Dad did it for me.
>Shown to be as equally fallible as all the other straights in the show
>Fits into common stereotypes of gays without being insulting
>Interestingish character development (such as Greg actually being conservative)
>Exploring problems of being gay without constantly being treated as the victims.
>>
File: tumblr_lrg24pzVkr1qapglso1_1280.jpg (212 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lrg24pzVkr1qapglso1_1280.jpg
212 KB, 900x600
>>5920259
Brian and Steve from the Sarah Silverman Program
>being gay doesn't define their whole life
>used to be homophobic closet cases in high school
>nerdy guys who look, act, and smell like actually nerdy guys
>one of them has no clue when it comes to politics
>masc4masc instead of stereotypical masc4fem with one of them "being the woman"
>>
Dog Day Afternoon is the most worthwhile example or gay, bi and trans people and their relationships being represented fairly in media.
It's no coincidence that it's based on a true story.

The Crying Game is a good film I guess but that's all it is.

Any other gay character I can think of right now is just a vapid token queer with no substance and adds nothing of value.
>>5920259
>>5920274
The whole premise of these characters is that they are gay. They add nothing else apart from their inherent gayness.
They aren't bad examples, anything that helps show gay relationships as basically normal is good in my eyes.
>>
>>5920259

Smithers is played for weird laughs, but for the most part he's just another guy in town. He even has an ex that he's cool towards (John Waters in that one episode). And all gays know that they've had a thing for a straight guy, somewhere in their lives.
>>
omar from the wire
>>
>>5920321
>The whole premise of these characters is that they are gay. They add nothing else apart from their inherent gayness.
You've never watched more than one episode, have you? The character Sarah Silverman plays rarely interacts with them without obsessing over their sexuality, but the characters themselves never make a big deal about it and are mostly nerd, metal, and stoner jokes that use the non-gay parts of their personality to bail Sarah out of whatever ridiculous thing she did that episode, or they just do their own thing.
>>
>>5920321
While I would agree that, if you wanted a really short synopses of Greg and Terry, gay neighbors would be it, but honestly I think they play into the humor of American Dad very well, especially the chemistry between them and the stereotypically conservative Stan.
>>
>>5920321
>>5920259
While Greg and Terry migh only ever seem to be there to be "the gays". They are portrayed as being the normal functional couple/family. Contrasting with the Smith's dysfunctional weirdness.
>>
>>5920358
>>5920346
The are just two functional gay couples is the point I'm making. Both good examples but don't really show much else other than
>gays can be cool too

I used Dog Day Afternoon as an example because it shows the lengths one bi man went to for his trans gf, his dillema with his wife and the love he had for his children etc. But you could remove all this and it would still be a 9/10 heist film, the gay side just adds to it.

If you removed the fact that B+S or G+T were gay and were just straight roommates, they would lose their relevance.
>>
Wallace from Scott Pilgrim.
Saw the movie when it came out and he was great. Just great.

That gay guy from Archer.
>>
>>5920424
Ray gillette
>>
Max from happy endings
>>
File: photo_04.jpg (160 KB, 1024x586) Image search: [Google]
photo_04.jpg
160 KB, 1024x586
Tangerine is the best example I can think of. It doesn't make any excuses for its trans characters, and any other character who does call attention to them being trans are the ones portrayed as going against the grain.
>>
File: wallyandgus.jpg (77 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
wallyandgus.jpg
77 KB, 300x200
Best animated gay couple prove me wrong
>>
>>5920274
>Wizzy and Wizzys clone
>>
>>5920259
Black Sails head gay pirate man. Except it's very blink and you miss the gay moments kinda thing.
>>
>>5920824
This man is absolutely right.

Gus had a fucking knife lodged in his head and yelled at his partner for fussing over it
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
>Omitting the most bad ass gay in media
>>
Mission Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHGlia8_qMg
>>
>>5925153
Where is that from?
>>
>>5920259
They're literally the 'lol they're gay that means it's funny' archetype
>>
Officer Jim Laghey.
>Can pound a bottle of whisky lile a FUCKING CHAMPION
>follow it up with 10 more
>DIE
The shit winds are blowing boys
>>
The guy in True Detective s2 was a decent representation. Didn't like how they tried to push some moral "better come out even in an extremely homophobic environment or you'll literally be murdered" trope, but then, the rest of the plot was pretty shit too.
>>
>>5925821
Boondock Saints.
>>
>>5920259
Not sure if they count as deep characters that did gays right. But pic related were fun minor characters for me to watch.
As hick Sheriffs they didn't fit the catty gay stereotype. As comedic relief characters (sometimes oafish antagonists) their relationship was treated as an endearing sympathetic quality, not a "haha, gaaaaaay!" punchline.
>>
>>5920259
marshall from united states of tara. intellectual, but didn't necessarily relate to gay culture and had storylines and interests not all stemming from sexuality. they let him have a personality before being gay and even his gay friend who fit every single stereotype showed a lot of vulnerability that actually reflected what a lot of the youth of a lot of gay men
>>
File: GAIM07-1011.jpg (37 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
GAIM07-1011.jpg
37 KB, 800x450
>military veteran
>moved to france to learn how to bake like a pro
>learned french
>runs a successful business
>strong sense of morals and what is right
>was only a "villain" because he thought Kouta, Kaito, etc were the ones bringing the monsters into the city and instantly face turned when he learned they weren't

The bonus is he made liberals booty blasted in America. Meanwhile Toei gave no fucks.
>>
>>5926434
i actually met someone like this irl
>>
I hate this idea that LGBT people have to represented correctly, I remember when poison was announced in SF4 and there was a bit of controversy over how she would be presented and capcom pretty much bent over to make sure no one was offended. The reality is there are shitty fags the same way there are shitty straight people, not all of us have to represented in a positive light. Why can straight white males be presented any kind of way but we can't? I mean its cool if it just happens to be a well written character, but I hate it when its forced as fuck.
>>
>>5920259
I think Greg and Terry are probably the best representation of gays in media. That I know of, at least.

>>5926344
I'm 99% they're not gay; just have a close friendship. Did Alex Hirsch confirm this or anything?
>>
>>5926004
Sexian!
http://i.imgur.com/i2xPLy2.gif
>>
>>5926344
>>5926495
It got as confirmed as it ever will. At the very end they were yelling about how they were "mad with power.. AND LOVE" while grabbing each others faces to look longingly into each others eyes.

And of course the cute biker, how is he not gay as fuck for Wendy's dad? Also a cut scene had two little old lesbian ladies.
>>
File: mad with power and.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
mad with power and.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>5926749
Disney probably didn't want to have an obviously LGBT couple in a cartoon that expensive to produce, methinks because foreign censors in Russia/China etc would cancel/fine/etc. it. Final episode we get gif related.
>>
>>5920259
They would be good if it weren't for the pathetic top/bottom stereotype thrown in, especially when they associate it to masculine vs passivity.
>>
File: 2016-03-26-23-36-20.jpg (218 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-26-23-36-20.jpg
218 KB, 1920x800
Pirates of the Caribbean
>>
>>5926835
Most gay male couples I know have a top bottom dynamic/subtle masc-fem dynamic, there is nothing wrong with that in the least
>>
File: 1450735062545.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450735062545.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>5926849
>>
>>5926876
Most I've encountered, including my own doesn't and it shouldn't be pushed as a thing, the majority of relationships are fluid and have nothing to do with domination like tv shows.
>>
File: 3874657816.jpg (121 KB, 618x454) Image search: [Google]
3874657816.jpg
121 KB, 618x454
Somebody had to.
>>
File: lahey_chug.jpg (109 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
lahey_chug.jpg
109 KB, 960x640
>>5926004

Lahey and Randy are my OTP. Also think they did a good job on showing Randy as a bisexual without making it too weird.
>>
Frank Underwood
>>
File: tumblr_m8o447DBkY1qgs3em.png (117 KB, 336x362) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8o447DBkY1qgs3em.png
117 KB, 336x362
>>
>>5927268
…Harry and Paul?
>>
>>5928266
Ted and Ralph from The Fast Show.
>>
>>5920259
I am waiting for a character that only gets hard when doing bareback on chems and injects himself with amphetamines to endure the 3 day orgy, then asks for Truvada.
You know the stuff that constantly happens in many circles.
>>
>>5920259
the normal heart on HBO
>Its really sad seeing bruce banner die of the HIV
>>
>>5920824
the part here gus dressed like the alien from the corny movie wally made was great
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.