[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fans revolt after gay TV character killed off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: hissyfit.jpg (83 KB, 660x715) Image search: [Google]
hissyfit.jpg
83 KB, 660x715
I find it difficult to respect the LGBT community when they perform stunts like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35786382

>When a gay character on a popular TV show was killed off, fans orchestrated an enormous online campaign.
>"LGBT fans deserve better" was tweeted more than 280,000 times in just a few hours.

To value a characters identity over the plot of the show is just ridiculous, I cannot understand this sort of thing. How do you feel about your movement being represented by these sorts of people?
>>
Who cares, lesbians are not representation.
>>
I don't know the show or how they handled it, but I will point out its been a trend to kill off gay characters and give them a 'tragic' ending because they were there for no other reason than 'we have a gay character'.
>>
Being gay in a TV show is probably the worst thing you can do to your life expectancy.
>>
>Fans promoted a fundraising drive for a suicide prevention charity, The Trevor Project, which is aimed at LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning) youth. The drive raised more than $30,000 (£21,000) in just a few hours.

at least something came out of it I guess?
>>
>>5855957
If the people who are complaining paid any attention to the interviews with the writers, the actress left the show no choice. She had a limited time left to work on their show because she joined the main cast of Fear The Walking Dead. This actually was a surprise to the writers because they didn't intend to have her die, but they were forced to because she wouldn't make anymore appearances.
>>
Simply from a storytelling perspective its a stupid trope that's been done to death. Maybe it made sense in this particular instance (though I doubt it wasn't just for cheap drama), but the point is the message this kind of "representation" sends to society.

I strongly suggest you look up the wikipedia page for lgbt characters in media before 2005, and count how many are incidentally either evil criminal perverts or die a sad death before they have a chance to meet a nice normal partner.
>>
>>5855938
uhg, people watch "The 100"

I tried the first episode but it seemed like horrible teen drama for 14 year old girls set in a slightly different backdrop

I think these people need to get over it cause they watch garbage and have garbage taste
>>
>>5855985
why 2005?
did something specific happen in 2005 or what?
>>
I haven't looked into the series and the context, but my first thought is that it's understandable.

LGBT characters get a raw deal pretty often. Used to be you had to end your gay romance in tragedy if you wanted to get it published. And then there was the Hays code. Et cetera. In the long canon of unfair representation and treatment of LGBT characters, this could be seen as just one more legbutt made disposable after the series creators scored their brownie points.

Maybe it makes perfect sense in context. People probably still felt robbed of a good character. There just aren't that many. It's understandable that people want more, and that they want for them to survive.

However, as soon as there's a social media bandwagon shit gets fucking stupid. This is not unique to "the LGBT community" (there's not one unified community to lose respect for, online or otherwise) and you would and should know this, OP.
>>
>>5856003
SJWs.
>>
>>5855938
>lgbt fans deserve better

Yeah they're right, we deserve better than all the lesbian/bi girls plauging the media and better than the cut and paste sterotypes they try to pass off as gay men, heck bi men are non existent in the media
>>
>>5855938

It happens so often that there's a trope for it, "Bury Your Gays." Also because when you kill off a gay character, you're killing off a much larger amount of their media representation in the process.

If you're not trolling, read this for more info as to why people get upset over it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuryYourGays

If you are trolling, you made me reply, I give it a good 7/10.
>>
>Implying gays need a happy ending
Write your own fiction fags
>>
>>5855938
Waah waah waah another straight person bitching and crying because queer people are talking.

Straight show writers killing off gay characters because of their Christianity and their being cucks to Muslims isn't "plot." Fuck these sorts of straight people, who as kids dreamed of the day when they could grow up and get jobs making up imaginary stories about gays being killed. They shouldn't be getting paid big money for that, all sorts of pedos do that everyday on 4chan for free.
>>
if you make characters to pander to certain people you build and support expectations that you will keep pandering in this way and you can't go back.
>>
>>5858078
Are you a woman

because I think you're a lesbian or ftm

if so please stop reinforcing that women are tasteless passionless creatures who will never understand art and will further ruin it as they always do

Your kind has never benefited the artistic community

not once
>>
>>5858084
Shut up dog shit eating Christian child rapist fatass.
>>
File: 1445400899824.jpg (43 KB, 640x607) Image search: [Google]
1445400899824.jpg
43 KB, 640x607
>>5858085
Being a christian gay is the best thing in the world.

Get fucked, you depressed cynical lonely loser with no faith
>>
>>5858089
tl;dr worthless living infection
>>
>>5858090
Even if I'm worthless atleast I'm happy.
>>
>>5858085

Oh look, it's the dogshit anon again.
>>
>>5858091
I don't think a pedo like yourself bragging about being happy is having the effect on me you think it does.
>>
>>5858095
Sorry, since I'm gay I like men, not little boys. Lesbians are the pedophiles.
>>
>>5858096
You're a straight Christian pedo like always you worthless fatass retard.
>>
>>5858097
But I'm a gay christian man who loves 21+ men and would only marry another man if he is also christian.
>>
>>5858100
You're a straight Christian blob who wishes he could rape 2D Japanese 4 year old girls and would only marry a lifesize pillow if he also read Mein Kampf.
>>
so does anyone even watch The 100? I heard it was good. also why the fuck has no one name dropped the title of this show yet? right, you don't care
>>
>>5858089
You have assimilated into your own oppression anon
>>
>>5858089

being a gay christian is even more retarded than just being christian, not only is the religion obviously bullshit but you're also following a religion the condemns who you are as a person
>>
>>5858078

except it says the actress was leaving the show... it had nothing to do with her character's sexuality, what were they supposed to do? hire a new actress and pretend nothing happened? that's even worse than killing the character, and makes watching the show annoying as you get used to someone new
>>
>>5858119
>>5855993
well i watched the first episode and just didnt like the premise
>>
>>5855938
How could you disagree? Killing off a gay character should never happen no matter what kind of show it is! Who cares if it's a violent show about people surviving a post-apocalyptic world? Killing people off should never happen to a character who happens to be a minority
>>
>>5858211
They do not kill straight characters every time an actor or actress quits, that's only something they do with queer characters. The "actress was quitting" was just an excuse, the straight writers were looking for a chance to kill the lesbo any way they could.

No, hiring a new actress is not worse then continuing to perpetuate the meme that if LGBT people are inconvenient you should kill them. I'm sure you like the idea of hiring one less woman and teaching people that it's acceptable for straight people to kill off queer ones, but like always, you're wrong.
>>
>>5858340

i honestly feel like you gotta be kidding, but i have nothing else to do so i'll respond anyway... i just really can't take you seriously...so :

except they do sometimes... and idk, i really fucking hate replacement actresses and actors in shit, i get used to a character being played by one person and then suddenly they have a new voice and appearance etc ... fuck that

if it was a straight male character it'd be exactly the same, it just wasn't in this case (and really it's a shit show anyway why give a shit?)

>like always you're wrong

have we ever even spoken before? even if we have... the possibility of me always being wrong is pretty nonexistent... and in this case, it seems a bit crazy to assume that it's just a "convenient excuse" when the actress is you know...actually gonna be on a different show and whatnot... and honestly so fucking what if a lot of shows kill gay characters? it's an improvement over not really having them at all isn't it?
>>
>>5858368
>i honestly feel like you gotta be kidding

Stopped reading right there. tl;dr you worthless pedo bitch.
>>
>>5858407

yup... you're joking...
>>
>>5858340
go make your own show then
>>
>>5858119
I haven't posted ITT until now, but I watch it.
It won me over but I still can't figure out why or when that happened, it's absolutely riddled with issues. I can totally see why the other anon didn't like it at all. Give it a try if you have nothing better to do, but don't expect it to make a ton of sense.
>>
>>5855938
>Stop treating gay characters like any other character
>Gay characters should be put in a special bubble where nothing bad can happen to them and everyone can applaud everything they do
>Truly this is the way to equality

The "LGBT community" needs to be gassed
>>
>after some time it starts being hard to see ourselves die/never get a happy ending
Just deal with it. Our existence is an unhappy one.

In fact it would be unrealistic if they did have a happy ending.
>>
>>5855938
Oh my fuck

I'm ashamed to share a fucking acronym with these crybabies
>>
>>5863141
>"Waaah, I'm a straight bitch, and I cry when LGBT people speak! I'm suck a worthless bitch! Waaaah!"
>>
>>5858078
I like your fury
>>
>>5858089
Gas the kike, burn the krist-kuk, remove the kebab
>>
>>5855993
I started watching it on putlocker because nothing better to do and I had the same impression. Once you get past the first few episodes it really starts to get good and subverts your expectations.
>>
>>5858084
>ftm
>woman
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.