[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best affirming faith community?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: rainbowcross.jpg (66 KB, 235x350) Image search: [Google]
rainbowcross.jpg
66 KB, 235x350
What's the best affirming faith community?
>>
None.
>>
What do you mean by “affirming faith”? I don't exactly see what you're asking here.
>>
Around here, I suppose United is in the lead.
>>
>>5719977
>nice get, double doubles
all judeo/christian religions are crap.
>I hear budism is good, the sikh's seem happy, paganism is cool, animism is like furfags-religion its pretty cool guy, rasta and pastafarianism is the shit
>>
Unitarian.
>>
>>5720073
Protestants are pretty tight. We're totally open minded too. We curse like sailors and are accepting of pretty much everyone.
>>
What about the community of christ?
>>
It's both funny and sad people are talking about faith in this thread like they're order food on a menu.
>>
worship me desu
religion is based around cuddling
>>
>>5720366
DESU VAULT
>>
>>5720251

Protestantism is incredibly wide ranging and covers everything from Evangelicals/Southern Baptists to Episcopalians.

OP, the Episcopal church is pretty cool. Me and my girlfriend came up in the same church, it's real queer friendly.
>>
It doesn't matter where you "believe", they will secretly hate you and think you're sinful. Drop religion altogether, it's fucking stupid and you'll feel better in the long-run.
>>
>>5720251
evangelical protstants are like isis of america.
>they are aweful
protestants dont get a pass on christian bullshit just kuz your one parish is nice to its token gay.
>>
>>5720867
well that and your told repeated to "turn the other cheek" and "love thy neighbor" but the bible never tells you to be a judgmental prick to people. In fact it says only god can judge you.
>>
>>5719977
>shopping around for some magic fairy to suddenly believe in
kys
you're even worse than people who are just so retarded they believe whatever their parents believed
>>
>>5719977
Zoroastrianism.
>Based Zoroastrianism.
>>
File: IMG_2449.jpg (918 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2449.jpg
918 KB, 2448x2448
>>5721807
>shopping around

Lol this is what you call trying to find a church that doesn't want to actively end my lifestyle, like the church I was born into does (Seventh Day Adventist).

I'm still very much a Christian, but I know in my heart that God made me gay not out of spite but for a purpose. I want a church that embraces that purpose.
>>
File: Max_emerson_005.png (947 KB, 604x606) Image search: [Google]
Max_emerson_005.png
947 KB, 604x606
>>5719977

Dignity helped me come to terms with my religious upbringing and move forward with morality in my life.

https://www.dignityusa.org/

also MCC is helpful to many

http://mccchurch.org/

and Affirmation for y'all mormons

http://affirmation.org/

and Keshet for jews

http://www.keshetonline.org/
>>
>>5720168
This. UUs are chill as fuck.

If you're looking for something more mainline, try the Episcopalians or one of the more liberal Lutheran congregations. And of course there's always the Metropolitan Community Church: inclusivity is their whole shtick.
>>
>>5722392
>Metropolitan Community Church
>>
>>5719977
Had a Wiccan boyfriend that said he liked that religion after quitting Southern Baptism.

But if you don't want to go full pagan I've heard that the Presbyterians and Unitarian Universalists are chill as well if you're looking for christian faiths that really push inclusion.

Also OP you're thinking about dropping seventh day adventism; right? For the sake of my curiosity can you please share any of your thoughts on Ryan Bell (the pastor recently kicked out of that denomination for pushing for LGBT equality among other things)?
>>
>>5721818
Zoroastrianism is patient zero of homophobia.
>>
>>5719977
If you're looking for something mainstream Christian try Episcopalian
Also, like every other comment try Unitarian
>>
>>5724125
Homo here
I don't believe in sky fairies either
But some people do like religion and the comfort and community it gives them
To each their own right?
>>
File: 2nswe91.jpg (7 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
2nswe91.jpg
7 KB, 316x202
>>5720251
you people are cancer
>just interpret the bible however you want man
that usually means literally, which is why you all are so stupid. Fucking Evangelical heathens.
>>
>>5724853
Faith without religion is pretty useless. God isn't just a magical being that grants wishes, he's a higher standard to live up to, if everyone had their own idea of what God is and what his law is, then people could excuse doing anything in his name.
>>
>>5719977
Baha'i
>>
>>5722036
Denial in its purest form.

>>5724879
There are hundreds and thousands of different interpretations of the same god. So many that pretty much everybody disagrees about what it is or what it thinks unless they're part of an exclusive group that has very strict guidelines of what to believe.
>>
>>5720792

Christianity is about "dying" to your attachment to the world in order to become united to the Holy Spirit. I went to a Russian Orthodox church in Dallas for almost two years after turning away from my cradle Protestant faith for seven.

I'd say if you arent being ridiculed by people, you probably arent a Christian. There will be people in every community of believers who believe you are wrong and defective. That does not negate the infallibility of Church doctrine, which teaches the complete opposite of what some bigots will tell you.

Basically, I was too much of a pussy to come out to anyone in my parish, not even my priest. And I am happy I left, because until the day comes when I am completely hopeless and ready to kill myself as a result of self-will, I would rather do what I want than to half ass something that only works if it is done fully.
>>
>>5719977
/x/
>>
>>5724881
nice maymay
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.