[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you know people who have committed suicide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 20151229_184951.jpg (1 MB, 4073x1855) Image search: [Google]
20151229_184951.jpg
1 MB, 4073x1855
Suicide gets talked about often here. But trans people, gay people, do you actually know any lgbt people who have committed suicide? Why do you think they got to the point of actually doing it instead of talking about it?
>>
>>5545464
Yes.

I feel incredibly uncomfortable describing these events, they're pretty deeply personal. An appropriately vague answer would be that they could not, as they were, perceive any other way out of their unbearable situations. I'm sorry if that's less helpful than you hoped.
>>
>>5545881
Story time motherfucker, push through that shit
>>
>>5545881
That's suicide for ya. The peope who are set on doing it are going to do it.
>>
You're mom
>>
>>5547114
your
>>
>>5547118
I meant what I meant
>>
Luckily not, only heard of a tranny in a online game guild that I joined pretty much a day or two after her death. Feels shitty I came too late, wasn't really a game that would attract trannies so maybe I could've been someone to talk to.
>>
A trans kid from my local cosplay group. Shit was sad. They were like, 13/14? I can't remember the exact age
>>
>>5545464
>Do you know people who have committed suicide?
yes

>do you actually know any lgbt people who have committed suicide?
o-oh no, he was a cis white male

16, fresh out of school, had body image issues, didn't think he would ever land a relationship (he honestly wasn't bad looking he was just an average english lad with an unfortunate buzzcut), hit by the reality of entering the working world and seeing all of his childhood dreams die, possibly even developing a /pol/-tier obsession with pre-christian belief systems, his choosing to hang himself may have had something to do with odin.
he talked to people about suicide before he did it. god knows why it didn't set off alarm bells. they just let him...
we were bffs in primary school but we both moved out of town, went to different secondaries and lost touch. my secondary kicked me and i transferred to his for 6th form only to find he'd left. i left my contact details with one of his friends there on a friday... he couldn't get them to him that weekend. on sunday he hanged himself. on monday we found out.
we were so close to getting back in touch, and both of us had made efforts to, and it was so close to happening, and then just like that, gone. it... i remember what we were like as kids, the dreams we had, we wanted to start our own film studio together, it just felt weird, how we had dreamt of a future and then suddenly i was severed from him, the definitive end, and he was only ever going to be in the past.
>>
>>5547102
They both failed to die, are both alive and comparatively well today, and their respective attempts and the fallout from them served as a catalyst for the kind of change they needed to not commit suicide.
>>
>>5547551
aww, i'm so sorry :( *hugs*
>>
my best friend committed suicide many years ago. i still haven't quite gotten over it.

i strongly suspect he was gay.
>>
>>5545464
Nope.

However, during my rotation in psychiatry, there had been a recent suicide of a trans person at the emergency ward which was mentioned quite a few times during my time there, purely from a suicide prevention perspective (I know no personal details other than the name of the person).

There was also an overrepresentation of lgbt patients presenting to emergency psychiatry - granted I didn't see that many of patients (could be coincidence) and rarely is sexual orientation a topic during most visits, but it was very clear.
In all cases, their orientation or gender identity wasn't part of their main issues at presentation, but there were quite a few of them with suspected Asperger's syndrome. Again, it's a common disorder in clinical psychiatry, so there's some bias. I do think it is entirely possible for high rates of mental health issues among lgbt to be due to developmental/internal causes and not only social/external causes, though.
>>
>>5545464
Yeah he was a friend of mine in college. He was an international student from a traditional muslim family. He had come out and, according to him, his parents were nearer to tolerant than hateful. He kinda did it out of nowhere and we'll never really know why.

He had joked that they might set him up with a woman for a marriage and it might have happened. His parents had just came to the US the week before he did it and he was right about to graduate and come home. I wish I would have known he was struggling.
>>
>>5547673
Shit, my parents are muslim and I'm in the closet too. I fear I'm going to go down the same path.
>>
>>5545464
I knew a girl who jumped in front of a train. She wasn't lgbt, though.
>>
>>5545464

Because the people who talk about it really aren't the kind of people who do it.

Most people who talk about suicide and then actually do it are the ones who mess up when trying to make a cry for help and accidentally kill themselves.
>>
>>5545464

Yep.

Also, people committing suicide often cut people out of their lives before they do. Meaning your friend acts like a dick and stops talking to you, then fades out of your life, and some time later kills themselves and you don't hear about it. Most of the time they don't just up and do it.

People who are unhappy kill themselves. People are generally unhappy because people dislike them or their life is shit financially. LGBT people often get into situations like that, because of lack of support of family, missing out on education, having issues with themselves due to religious reasons, feeling scared or hated because people hate them, etc.

Considering people who are not LGBT commit suicide, and LGBT have an additional pressure (bigotry, religious issues, employment issues, hormones/mental health issues for trans, social issues, related to being LGBT), it's not surprising that the suicide rate amongst LGBT - especially LGBT youth, where people are getting into shit with their families/getting kicked out of home etc, is higher than the norm.
>>
Str8 cis scum here, yeap. One of my mates offed himself a couple years back after a period of
'erratic' behavior (random booze binges etc) and then blew his brains out. A few months later I was talking to a common acquaintance who said the dead guy had feelings for him (friends for years on end) but didn't know how to cope with being gay so offed himself instead. Acquaintance was feeling pretty shitty about it, he's kind of a meekly little bottom boy but 100% hetero.

Never once crossed my mind that he was queer, we used to shit-talk niggers all the time and had a good laugh about other minorities and 'weak groups'. On the other hand I'm told gay men are super-racist, but I don't really know if that is true or not. It was more of a gag thing really, not like anyone would've cast him out if he came clean about it, he was well-liked and usually intelligent until the last couple months when he started getting frustrated. Never said a word about what was wrong though, at least not to me.

Not talked to our other mates or his family about it. Feels kind of shitty to pull his skeleton out of the closet now, but posting it anonymously should be fine, right? He was a good man, blunt like a mallet and hard as an anvil. Miss him a lot, aches to think about it. Could've been a prancing mega-queer frolicking through the streets for all I care, would've been better than him being dead.
>>
Well a guy I know from my work disappeared into the mountains and they found all his shit later so he's most likely dead. He was always pretty strange and was a drug addict and alcoholic so it wasn't too surprising.
He did talk about his issues all the time it's just everyone thought he was weird. He just didn't really fit in with society even when sober.
>>
File: 73ab929436b583c4.gif (2 MB, 259x216) Image search: [Google]
73ab929436b583c4.gif
2 MB, 259x216
>>5547860
I talked a bit about it but then people started turning their backs to me and then I tried too but I failed so miserably I would've survived even without hospitalisation, but that was a real fast way to cut connections for good it seems.

Now I'm just pissed at all the false cunts who will always say they're there for you, are gonna try their best to help you. Fuck all is what they really do.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.