[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else kindle bothered by the whole culture of treating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 800x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 800x436
Anyone else kindle bothered by the whole culture of treating coming out and being gay as a REEEEALLY big deal?

All of my family is very liberal, especially in social issues (not like she type shit but in terms of gays and abortion), so it's not like they wouldn't accept new, I just never saw a need to come out to them. About 8 months ago my mom asked if I was gay. I said yes because, well, I am. I really don't see it as a big deal and I told her that's, but that didn't stop her from going on a 30 minutes tangent on how she was so proud of me and that of course she was going to accept me no matter what. Made me uncomfortable, she then asked if I was going to come out to all of my friends and families, I told her that because I didn't see it as a big deal I wasn't going to, if they asked if tell them but I didn't see a big deal in doing so. She was confused but said whatever.

Fast forward about an hour ago, my grandfather (past president) said he wanted to talk to me, and said that he heard I was gay (ugh), he went on a 45 minute story on how he knew several gay people and he accepted them and yadda yadda, he's cool with it.

Seriously, why does there NEED to be some type of reaction involved? Some type of "hey man, I'm SO PROUD of you", why can't they just treat it as a "oh cool".
>>
Fuck it's pastor not past president
>>
People are validated by persecution
>>
>>5458490

I had the same feels 'coming out' as trans. It's annoying they are just exorcising their own uncomfortable feels at you. If they really didn't care they wouldn't have to tell you all about how much they support you.

Hopefully as time goes on it will normalize to the point that this is a thing of the past
>>
>>5458490
I've never had anyone overreact to me coming out.

It's quite nice.
>>
There's a huge amount of people here that seem to not understand that people used to be frquently thrown out for this, and some still are.

Gay acceptance has been growing, but yeah, it can still be huge deal. The world is not your family. It's an immature notion to take it for granted.
>>
>>5458490
People need rituals. The fact that you're not happy with it means you didn't get what you needed out of it. Go find a naked black man with a mystery drank to vision quest. Kiddingnotkidding
>>
For my family it was a justiably bigger deal (thanks christianity and lifelong moderate-gaybashing)
Ultimately they were fine with it, more or less, but the little rants about their experiences with gays was... Weird

Only told them so that having bf around the house wouldnt be so awkward. Im gay, whatever

Being in OPs situation would make me slap somebody though. Fucking liberals. Go identify as something useful
>>
>>5458490
Yeah, what this guy said
>>5458656

I'm glad things went well for you - your family is like mine. But you're a stupid cocksucker for taking it for granted. I have many friends who lost their families by coming out. It IS a big deal in many, many families - hell, it could mean death in some parts of the world.

Try having some respect for other people and learn to see the world that exists outside your cushy little liberal bubble, you unbelievable faggot.
>>
>>5458709
>Try having some respect for other people and learn to see the world that exists outside

This.
>>
>>5458490
I know where you're coming from, being from a liberal family as well, but a lot of people don't live in that kind of environment and coming out becomes a way for them to display who they are to family members who might have a problem with it. Telling people you're gay/trans/bi/whatever is a lot harder when you don't know if you'll be accepted.
>>
File: feels good man.jpg (127 KB, 975x1000) Image search: [Google]
feels good man.jpg
127 KB, 975x1000
To be honest, when I came out to my friends, I expected a big reaction. They all gave me a short "Hey, that's cool with us.", and we went back to playing Smash Bros. At first, I thought I wanted a big reaction, but it was only after that I realized how good it felt to know that they saw it as no big deal at all. It made me feel human, as opposed to some rare mythical gay creature.
>>
>>5459737
I felt the EXACT same way. I was kinda a pussy back then and texted my friends individually telling them. The best response was "cool, did we have any math homework?". Treating it as no big deal at all was comforting, it definitely showed hey we're comfortBle with it but at the same time I felt normal
>>
>>5458490
Spoken like a true Amerifag underage b&.

Things aren't a big deal for you in $LIBERAL_WESTERN_CITY_YEAR_2K15, but when I came out I was almost thrown out. One of my friends literally was thrown out and was homeless for a long time. Most of the out gay kids in my college had completely been cut off by their families, financially and emotionally. One of my teachers got fired for it in high school. I almost got expelled in high school for it, actually.

It is still a brave thing to do depending on where you live, and it has been an incredibly risky move up until the very recent past. Some nice words from the person you come out to isn't so bad.
>>
>>5458490
>>5458490

it used to be a big deal and now the hype is over and they arent even sure how to deal with it.

i agree tho. ive been out since 8th grade but my mom still needs to rant and rave about just how proud she is about it all.

for now, im just sorta back in the closet. meant to come out like a year ago but its REALLY comfy in here. never realized how normal life can be when people treat you like you are normal.

feelsgoodman
>>
>>5459779
this. if parents make a big deal of it to tell you how they accept you and still love you, it's not because they secretly don't, but because they experienced this kind of shit and want to make sure, that you know you won't have to go through this.

A lot of parents are also very excited, that their kids tell them something, they suppose is very personal and hard to tell. I hope no one here is a dick and wants/wanted to make their parents feel bad about having a reaction to something relatively big like that.
because it is still relatively big, you'll know once you leave highschool and try your best in the world of intolerant grownups, that make your career harder because you have a boyfriend instead of a wife or get harrassed because you walk down the streets with your boyfriend etc.
>>
>>5458490
It comes from a culture that puts their identity on their sexuality.

Its really obvious in the LGBT community with lots of gay men and lesbians making being a fag the main part of who the are.

Hets of course also do it too but because they have been doing for so long they dont realize it. The culture is so based around sex, fucking, attraction, knowing how others are fucking, and all that shit that basically its all people see themselves anymore.

Its a big deal because sexuality is such a big thing to people.
>>
>>5458490
Bifag here.
I grew up in LA and my folks were really secluded from other families. I was also really antisocial until I reached high school and that was when I was exposed to liberal parents. Even to this day, I cannot fathom the existence of lib parents. I don't know why. Lucky you anon.
>>
Although I had no doubt that my best friend of 10 years wouldn't accept me if I came out to him, that doesn't mean that coming out is redundant in this age. You, OP, should never take for granted the fact that you're most likely some white kid who lives in an suburb with white friends who will accept you. I know some black friends who fear and need to tread carefully among their own for fear of being assaulted.

I'm not white nor US born but I can guarantee you that there are members of my family and some friends that will not accept me, which is why I asked certain people I came out to never tell anyone else. They understand because not many of us are born with a privilege of living in places or having family that will be accepting. Hell, they even recognize that normal every day gays exist that don't flaunt it in their face and some could actually be engineers.

I used to think like you but then you realize that hey, there's a world that exists outside of your own bubble.

One thing that I do fully believe is that bisexuals should never come out because that's so fucking stupid to do for obvious reasons.
>>
File: OTyhOI2.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
OTyhOI2.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>5460029

>>5460029

>literally all I see when I read this post

kek
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.