[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Normal white human being here explain why it's bad for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
Normal white human being here

explain why it's bad for me to base my gender on my chromosomes, why gender roles are stupid, and all the others things you guys talk about. I want to hear your stories.

pic unrelated
>>
things are more complicated than just chromosomes, since there's people with both sets and other shit along those lines... and with transpeople it's more complicated than that...

and gender roles are stupid in the sense that not everyone is gonna fit and they're essentially pushing people into a box based on one small aspect of who they are... they do however work for some people, and some people are gonna fit them, but they shouldn't be pushed on anyone...

but that's totally different than being trans or anything to do with anyone on a genetic level...
>>
>>5303392

How can you have more than XX or XY?
>>
>>5303394
Mutation during conception.
>>
>>5303400

So wouldn't that mean you have some form of Downs? I mean you get that from having extra chromosomes, right?
>>
>>5303406
Downs is a result of having an extra copy of a specific autosomal chromosome. Sex chromosomes work differently.
>>
>>5303365
The body is just a shell, why should I not be allowed to change it to my liking even if that entails taking cross-sex hormones? I'm not hurting anybody and ethics surrounding this issue are absolute bogus anyway. Also certain genes determine physical sex, the chromosomes are just blueprints. There are women with the phenotype XY that only differ almost insignificantly from XX women.
Gender roles serve their purpose for the greater populace and they are rooted in biology but individually they should not matter as much as some people want them to.
>>
Chromosomes are the blueprints for the expression of phenotypes

You don't analyze an organism based on its chromosomes unless you have its DNA laid out in front of you on a computer. You look at the traits that are actually expressed. It makes far more sense to classify someone as a man because they look and act like a man than anything else
>>
>>5303410

I really think you're blowing a minority way out of proportion. This seems less like a sexuality and more like a disfiguring mutation.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/abnormal/abnormal_5.htm
>>
File: cheers3.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cheers3.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
>>5303410
>Kia muhfuggin learned us some muhfuggin science
>thanks Kia
>>
>>5303411

But you're still at risk for certain diseases and such, are you not? Don't you think that's important?
>>
>>5303417
Say what now? You asked how a person can have extra chromosomes, and I answered. I haven't said or implied anything beyond that.

>>5303422
Not sure if serious...
>>
>>5303426

Look let's start again. If someone is XXY or XYX, that is not a sexuality. Isin't it more of a deformity?
>>
>>5303424
It's not as important as being more mentally healthy.
Besides, you have to get regular checkups anyway if your're going the official route. As long as you maintain normal hormone levels and use the right meds that put the least amount of strain on your body the health issues are probably less or similar to a woman of the same age who is taking birth control.
>>
>>5303427
I never said that it's a sexuality. It's an abnormal arrangement of chromosomes; nothing more, nothing less.

As an example, a person born with a 47,XXY arrangement is physiologically male, albeit with diminished masculine attributes and low fertility. Most people with 47,XXY identify as male, some identify as female. Saying that 47,XXY or any other abnormal chromosome arrangement is the reason behind a person being transgender or homosexual/bisexual is disingenuous.
>>
>>5303426
I'm totally serious. I love learning shit. Sorry for coming off as sarcastic.
>>
>>5303448

I think what you're saying is if someone wants to be called something, they should be? I'm all for that, right. Infact I really like feminine men/ mtf girls. I just can't understand why people insist you should break the system and try to be different. What's wrong with being normal?
>>
>>5303448
>It's an abnormal arrangement of chromosomes

What's so hard about just admitting that the both of you agree 100%?

Like are you just pretending to argue for the hell of it? I don't understand these replies.
>>
>>5303469

No I'm actually a little confused. We're both on the same page I think. I just want to know why people push to be different and such.
>>
>>5303460
Aside from the fact that the definition of normal is subjective and changes not only from culture to culture, but generation to generation within each culture?

As for why people want to change the system? I'd say that it's for the same reason people change anything: because either the existing method doesn't work, or they believe that a superior method exists.
>>
>>5303478

Adding on, I just really want to hear discussions and not be told to piss off because I need to "Educate myself" or because I'm not like you guys.
>>
>>5303484

Would you prefer I use the term Average?
>>
>>5303490
Regardless of the word used, the concept remains essentially the same.

>>5303487
I'm doing the best I can, but this is college level material and I've been drinking tonight.
>>
>>5303406

downs is an extra copy of a specific chromome... i think it might be 23 but i wouldn't bet on it... it's some shit like that thogh, not sex related...
>>
>>5303365
because you like unteralterbach you sick fuck
>>
>>5303365
You can do whatever you like as in base YOUR gender on whatever you want, fulfill or break whatever gender roles you want, but don't freak out or be rude when other people don't think and do as you think and do.
>>
>>5303502
>this is college level material

Is this your way of saying this is some really advanced shit?

College is like a dumb kiddie version of real life. You'll find out eventually.
>>
>>5303755
>Is this your way of saying this is some really advanced shit?

Kia is saying that there is a lot of material that needs to be covered to gain a casually-conversant understanding of the subject.

>College is like a dumb kiddie version of real life.
I feel like you'll want to elaborate on this, because it's something of a non-sequitur all on its own, there.
>>
Maleness is determined by the presence of a Y chromosome in males.

In the case of an XY that is basically phenotypically a female, they are still genetically a male. Likely there was a defect in the SRY gene, but they are still a male.

>5303574
It's three 21 chromosomes. Trisomy 23 would be one of the sex trisomies llike XXX, XYY, XXY
>>
>>5303365
>Normal
>Unteralterbach
>>
>>5303394
You know, at some point it goes from bait to a general failure of public education to have proper biology classes.

>>5303417
XXY here, it's not particularly disfiguring. Also trans people are also a small minority so I'm not sure why it matters to you that a minority that doesn't correspond to your 9th grade biology tier awareness of human sexuality exists.
>>
File: 1234.jpg (91 KB, 435x502) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
91 KB, 435x502
>>5304643
>>5303716

I played it for the soundtrack, I swear!
>>
>>5303490
i think the word you're looking for is "cis"
>>
>>5304630
Well, scientists use the word "male" to describe them, but since that word has so many cultural connotations and can not really be separated from "man" or masculine gender roles etc. there are many context where it's not the most accurate. Like there are probably a lot more contexts in which transwomen/people with XY and/or a penis who identify as women should be categorized as female.

This is kind of a tangent, but it bothers me...it's just like people try and say "they're male! that's an undeniable fact of science!" but it's really just the words used that are biased and completely made up by humans to use as classification. We can choose to not call transwomen "biologically male" and it's just as valid as any other term, but without misgendering them.
>>
>>5303448
>>5305082
How do I get tested?
>>
>>5306056
Ask your doctor, and be prepared to pay through the nose for it.
>>
>>5303365
>why gender roles are stupid
0/10 bait
Fuck off to tumblr.
>>
>>5305202
Well to be fair, the bias comes from the fact that the vast overwhelming super majority of males are masculine in not only a biological way but also in whatever way their society deems is masculine. If we are talking about nonscientific uses of the words male or female, perhaps classifying the people you mentioned in your post is more accurate. In a scientific context such as the comment you responded to, it should be clear to anyone with a reading comprehension of a 14 year old what is meant by the words male and female.

The reason why transwomen are called biologically male is because anatomically (maleness is determined by more than just sex organs, but minute differences in bone structure, musculature, hormone balances, brain morphology, etc that cannot be changed) they are male even if they identify as female. The word may be biased, but it is the one that is available and easily understood.
>>
>>5306056
It actually isn't too difficult. When I was in undergrad we actually found out someone was XXY by discovering that their cells had barr bodies. All that required was a sufficiently powerful microscope.

>>5306147
But this one is right though. In America, just getting a bandaid will put you through bankruptcy
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.