[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not transgender, right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1435366769928.jpg (86 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1435366769928.jpg
86 KB, 600x800
I have deseperately wanted to be a girl since I was 6 years old. I have dated girls since I was 16 but my sex life is non existant. I hate having sex with my penis, and to be honest with girls. I have been dating my current gf for a year and I just have to finger her every time.

Anyway, I had fifteen hundred other mental health problems growing up. I had bad anorexia and OCD at 17 etc. I make bad decisions all the time and there is nothing to say my wanting to be a girl is any different to desperately wanting to be dangerously thin.

But what is killing me is the counter argument that the depression and stuff is because of the gender dysphoria and transitioning might cure it all.

And yet I can't even see a gender therapist to just discuss these things because I live in the UK and they would make me dress as a girl for a year before hormones anyway.

That and my family would disown me :-)

Anyway I don't really believe I'm transgender, just fucked up. I just wonder how other trans m/f *know* that they are legit if they have other mental health problems.
>>
ur a girl btw
>>
File: 1390683357092.png (200 KB, 836x1026) Image search: [Google]
1390683357092.png
200 KB, 836x1026
>I'm not transgender, right

>I have deseperately wanted to be a girl since I was 6 years old.
>>
The answer is in your post. There's way more cis men with ton of mental disorders that don't feel uncomfortable in their body and gender role, than men questioning their gender among other mental disorders. I don't need a source, that's just reality.

That's how I know I am very likely transgender.
>>
>>5263250

I understand, but how do I know this is not just symptomatic of other depressive issues, even if it's rare? Not many men with mental disorders develop eating disorders, but I was dealt that card.

Btw I'm not saying you or anyone else in a similar position is not really trans just because of other mental problems. But I do feel that way about myself. I just can't trust my own judgment and certainly if I ever told my family about these feelings they would react that way.
>>
>>5263265
You made it out to seem that your desire to be female predates anything else. Plus there's the pretty extreme dislike of your penis. Men do not feel this way
>>
>>5263207
You're trans, I'm really sorry., you felt a lot like me and I have never felt better once I got over the early hardships of accepting you're trans and doing things about it.

I wish you luck Anon. But since you're in the UK, you can always self med in secret.
>>
>>5263207
You poor bastard.
>>
>>5263207
>Anyway, I had fifteen hundred other mental health problems growing up. I had bad anorexia and OCD at 17 etc. I make bad decisions all the time and there is nothing to say my wanting to be a girl is any different to desperately wanting to be dangerously thin.
You probably just have other mental disorder then, having real gender dysphoria is extremely rare desu. I'd look at those other problems like the OCD for example first then jumping straight to gid.

>But what is killing me is the counter argument that the depression and stuff is because of the gender dysphoria and transitioning might cure it all.
See that's a big assumption though, most therapists (if they know what they're doing) will try to alleviate the depression and anxiety symptoms first before making a diagnoses of gid. Then if your depression and anxiety doesn't go away you probably are trans. The problem is a lot of people try and diagnose themselves and ignore the other mental problems they have and jump right into taking diy hrt, what they don't realize is if you aren't real trans then taking hrt will make you feel just like how a legit trans person feels. They take this feeling as confirmation that they're legit trans when in reality they're not.
>>
>>5263816
>>5263816
>The problem is a lot of people try and diagnose themselves and ignore the other mental problems they have and jump right into taking diy hrt, what they don't realize is if you aren't real trans then taking hrt will make you feel just like how a legit trans person feels. They take this feeling as confirmation that they're legit trans when in reality they're not.
The thing is, if you have a modicum of self-awareness that can also be used as a good litmus test. If HRT makes you feel worse then you done goofed

Gonna agree that therapy is a good idea before jumping straight in to the biggest life change a person could possibly make though
>>
>>5263877
>If HRT makes you feel worse then you done goofed
Not necessarily, if this were the case then it would be the official "am I trans?" test but it's not. The mood changes from taking hrt can be hellish for some people to handle and they could interpret those feelings as proof they aren't trans. Hrt can make you feel depressed over your situation as well so whether or not you feel happy or sad from hrt is not a very good indicator of ones transness.
>>
Did you have a history of depression or any other mental health issues before you were 6? Gender dysphoria can be especially difficult to diagnose because leaving it untreated will cause other mental health issues to sprout up.
>>
>>5263816

I had treatment for other things such as OCD for years. Every time one problem was under control a new thing popped up. I have a non-situational depression :/

I would never mention any gender problems to a therapist previously because I didn't know what transgenderism was barely or that pursuing it was an option. I felt I should have been a girl but I just assumed this was more delusional thinking along with my other problems. This must still be a possibility for myself at least, right?

I don't want to dress up in women's clothing or wear makeup, I've just always had a very unsettling feeling since I was a child that I should have been born a girl and felt alienated when we became teens and the differences started to show. Is it not possible these feelings are just a symptom of some general feeling of not belonging, it definitely seems like genuine trans people want to embrace the other gender identity including mannerisms and clothing and social roles etc. I just feel like I was born wrong.
>>
>>5264009
>I don't want to dress up in women's clothing or wear makeup, I've just always had a very unsettling feeling since I was a child that I should have been born a girl and felt alienated when we became teens and the differences started to show. Is it not possible these feelings are just a symptom of some general feeling of not belonging, it definitely seems like genuine trans people want to embrace the other gender identity including mannerisms and clothing and social roles etc. I just feel like I was born wrong.
If you repeated this word for word to a therapist they would immediately start working out a gender dysphoria diagnosis.
>>
>I'm not transgender, right
That assertion is not because you feel it's more likely to be the case than that you are transgender, it's because you want not to be transgender because that would save you the hardships of transitioning.

Based on what you say, looking at the facts, I think that even if you have also developed other issues over time, there is a high probability that you are transgender; so let's go about solving the issues that come with that.

Based on what you say, I highly doubt you can become a normal, societally functional male (you aren't quite one right now), let alone a happy one.

First of all, this is something that affects the whole way you live. It will determine your fate. And I remember very well the way it felt like every card in my hand was a bad one.
If you try to become more masculine, that'll just make you feel like shit.
If you don't try to change anything, nothing will change other than that you're losing opportunities, and you'll just keep feeling like shit.
That leaves transitioning, but that's fucking scary.

In order to become happier, you need to give up on hoping you'll get some kind of epiphany that'll make you able to live with everything, and start looking for solutions to the problems you have right now, and start reaching out for them.

For that you need to realise that you can't do this alone. This is your freaking life, this is who you fucking are. You can't just disappear from your parents and become someone else. They'll worry about you.
But if you don't try to become someone else, they will worry about you too, likely even more. Do you think you can fool them into thinking you're truly happy? They see you being unhappy constantly and are already very very worried about it, with no clue what's causing it or how to make it better.

You need to tell your parents and ask them to get you the professional help you need. They will be sad that you truly are in so much pain, but it can't be helped.
>>
I should add, if you can't tell them, you might as well just kill yourself right now to save you a few years of suffering before you'd do it anyway because you can't stand living a lie anymore with none of your loved ones or family members understanding.

Telling them is the only way to make the options available that are needed to slowly get out of this mess, step by step. If you don't tell them you don't have to risk affecting them negatively, but you'll never be able to be true to yourself or to others.
>>
Wait, in the uk you have to be living as a girl for a year before you can start mones?
>>
>>5264382 again; I should say...

When I say 'kill yourself', I mean tell them, because if you're going to kill yourself anyway, you might as well try telling them first.
>>
>>5263207
Maybe you're right, but let me ask you this, what if you're issues are not really something you can cure, what if you can only treat the symptoms. If transitioning does end up making your life better, does it objectively matter I'd you're really trans?
>>
Thank you for the responses everybody..

>>5264364

I don't think there is any concept of understanding for these kind of feelings with my parents, especially my dad. I am coming closer to the idea of seeing a therapist privately again to discuss my problems but my parents never understood any problem I had. I still regret admitting my eating disorder to them, I mean it was obvious because I was severely underweight but I should have just agreed to go back to councilling alone when they forced me without admitting the problem. If I tell them I'm concerned I should have been a girl I think that will probably be it.

I never discussed gender or sexual problems with previous therapists and see what they say. And I get what you guys are saying about just not wanting to face the prospect of transitioning but every aspect of my life would end if I ever did that I think. I wouldn't be able to leave the house. If I could wake up as a girl tomorrow with a history of being one that's one thing but I am frightened I will be referred to the gender identity clinic eventually because then I will be in a real hole.

At least I will be dead eventually, that's one ray of sunshine.
>>
>>5264562
>At least I will be dead eventually, that's one ray of sunshine.
Your life will get better if you take hold of it. You probably won't even be living with your parents too much longer anyway
>>
>>5263816
>most therapists (if they know what they're doing) will try to alleviate the depression and anxiety symptoms first before making a diagnoses of gid. Then if your depression and anxiety doesn't go away you probably are trans. The problem is a lot of people try and diagnose themselves and ignore the other mental problems they have and jump right into taking diy hrt, what they don't realize is if you aren't real trans then taking hrt will make you feel just like how a legit trans person feels. They take this feeling as confirmation that they're legit trans when in reality they're not.
They don't recommend this anymore. It is better to test run HRT as it often lessens or clears up many other mental health issues.
>>
>>5263943
There are a couple things that if they happen after start of HRT, it is near 100% likely the person is transgender. Mood swings on E with AAs say the dose is to far apart, or not enough.
>>
>>5265496
>they don't recommend this anymore
Actually yes most places still do, it's the more logical approach then just handing over hormones to a person who has underlying mental conditions. Some might call that gate keeping but really it's not, it's for their safety. Also taking hrt will not lessen other mental conditions unless they're directly tied to it.

>>5265508
>There are a couple things that if they happen after start of HRT, it is near 100% likely the person is transgender
Like what?
>>
well dude look at it this way, even if you're not trans what do you have to lose?

the treatment for mental disorders is shit, it doesn't even help

but for trans it helps a tonne of people

>so really you could either not do anything and stay the same
>do something and feel better
>do something and feel the same, but with bitch tits

so, the bad results are bitch tits, the good results is your entire life could turn around

small price to pay

I am a normal male and I used to be anorexic, but I never had this wanting to be a girl (only hypothetically in my mind so I could scam people, but deep down I wouldn't like it, all these dirty men looking at me fuck that)

so what I am getting at is, eating disorders in male may be rare and for faggots, but actual gender dysphoria and not even using your dick to have sex is even rarer

so, go for it

even if you're not trans, and go hon or just male with bitchtits, your lifemight improve anyway because tonnes of people nowadays think having a tranny fiend is cool, so you could get friends and support like that

and if you're just mentall ill, then you have no hope because the treatment is bullshit. for myself I tried tonnes of their meds but they eat shit so I ended up faking a heroin addiction to go on methadone and improved my life that way

so even if you're not trans, you could do it like that and improve your life just through another avenue

and if you are trans, then it's like the worlds most treatable illness you actually have a chance of getting better

really there is a lot to gain and not much to lose, but as you say your parents would dislike you but would they really really? and even so, maybe they're just bad people anyway and it would be good to get away from them
>>
>>5263265
You're reversing the causes. Gender dysphoria is not a comorbidity of depression. Depression is the comorbidity.
>>
>>5265600
>most places still do
It's not even in the SOC anymore

>>5263816
>having real gender dysphoria is extremely rare
It's not rare at all especially once the person with clear symptoms has hit or passed puberty. It's like you have no idea of current research whatsoever beyond what your precious nhs tells you.
>>
>>5266145

It's interesting you say all this because when I was 13-16 I was only attracted to boys and thought that wanting to be a girl was just natural to being gay. Then I ground down my gayness and just settled into sexually stillborn relationships with girls.
>>
>>5265600
The reason it isn't recommended anymore is because it was found to be more harmful. Many conditions at best only partially cleared up under strong antidepressant doses, only to nearly fully disappear with in a few months of starting HRT. They have realized that gender dysphoria is the precursor to many mental health issues. They still look for signs of GD, but once found it is now treated immediately by starting HRT.
>Like what?
A sustained drop in some GD symptoms, and a drop in general anxiety are significant. Specific issue anxieties are generally not effected unless tied to GD. Depending on the depression cause, a drop in it too may be indicative.

In my own case, nearly 100% of my depression vanished, 80% of my generalized anxiety, and many of my GD symptoms vanished in the first couple months of starting HRT. I had spent well over a decade trying to get rid of my depression and failed. No antidepressant worked for more than a few weeks, and doses had to be constantly upped, and I was left with a nasty general paranoia that I didn't have before.

>>5266349
50yo hon in the making...
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.