[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mtf btw. my mom thinks that my therapist is full of it because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Franklin-Roosevelt-1884.jpg (76 KB, 600x768) Image search: [Google]
Franklin-Roosevelt-1884.jpg
76 KB, 600x768
mtf btw. my mom thinks that my therapist is full of it because i dont always leave his office happier than i entered. she thinks if im sad ever ( despite the fact that im much happier on average) it means its not working. the only steps ive took yet r wearing masculine female clothes, make up and a french manicure. she thinks that i should just be happy now. none of my problems should bother me now. how do i convince her she doesnt know what shes talking about? she thinks she knows more bout it than my therapist with a masters and decades of practice
>>
Tell her you'll be way happier on HRT, which will probably be true
>>
Rape and kill her. Its the only way.
>>
>>5242893
doesnt work. ive tried to explain my depression is part of dysphoria and the ppl at the group meetings i go to all report being miserable b4 hrt, also ppl i read about online. she thinks he is biased because she thinks my therapist is trans (for some reason)
>>
>>5242942
Sounds like your mom is batshit. There's not a big trans conspiracy, no matter what /pol/ tells her.
>>
>>5243335
Don't fool yourselves you're all batshit insane and society only panders to your craziness because they don't want to hear you freaks bitch and moan. We're laughing at you while nodding our heads.
>>
>>5243365
>you're all just as crazy cus muh feels tell me all the evidence and experts that support u are just part of the conspiracy!!!
>>
There are support groups in most civilized areas specifically for parents of trans people.

In lieu of that, be more vocal about your dysphoria, don't assume she has any suggestions inkling of how it feels.

Honestly doesn't seem like that much of a bad, she actively wants to solve your dysphoria way better reaction than some
>>
>>5242864
Eh therapists can still get shit wrong. Particularly if they believe something weird.
I've never been in therapy myself, but I was in counselling for a year and a half, and it was bad in the second half of that time because my appointments got scheduled earlier in the day, so I'd basically be useless for the rest of the day. Talking about suicide, no one loving you, being unable to transition, being scared of losing your only friend etc, really takes it out of you. I usually skipped class for the rest of the day because when I don't skip it, I ended up crying in class, and felt completely trapped in the classrooms.

Counselling really helped me explore my thoughts and my counsellor always phrased things in the right way, like, she was only repeating what I said back to me, but she'd put it differently or talked about the psychological name for how I felt or what I thought

It's good to have someone to talk to, but the counselling system at my university is designed to keep students moving through it, because of the waiting list. I don't see much point in having to talk about all the background shit with a counsellor just to get up to my current feelings all over again. Especially not when I'll only get 6 sessions and then they'll want to dump me on someone else.

Tl;dr talking to someone's great, obviously talking about shit that make you sad is still going to make you sad immediately after
>>
>>5244055
I think the parent group is dead. They never called me back. Also if I tell her how i feel she gets mad. She always complained I bottle my feelings up, now that I tell her she just ends up saying "did your therapist tell you that? Fill your head with this negativity?". I keep saying I've always been miserable which is why i'm there in the first place. I think she's hoping I'll just forget about it
>>
>>5244879
My mom was kinda like that, she'd get real visibly upset whenever I talked about trans stuff with her and always try to talk me out of making the next step. Eventually I just told her flat out that I was sick of her taking everything negatively and that she shouldn't expect me to talk with her about anything if she's going to act like that. She warmed up a lot after I said that and we're closer than ever now
>>
>>5244899
My mother was a bit more subtle, she would encourage me to take my time with things like name changes and ask about what sort of things were talked about at the Gender Clinic and why they wanted blood tests and everything. It's hard to convey because you kind of had to experience it, but it was very noticeable she was uncomfortable and wanted me to not do it. Better than she was to begin with though, where she'd switch between wanting to buy me jewellery and bags, to calling me "her boy" day to day
>>
>>5242864
>she thinks if im sad ever..
Ask her if she has had sad days. Be ready for denial.
>she thinks that i should just be happy now. none of my problems should bother me now.
Tell her therapy takes time.

As for bumpiness. I'm doing EMDR sessions with my therapist. They can really throw me for a loop. Most often I'm feeling stressed and depressed after an EMDR session, but I can be anywhere from giddy happy to crying my eyes out during them, and for a couple hours after. The nice thing about them is very consistently a few hours after it feels like more weights have been lifted off my shoulders.
>>
>>5245499
>she said her friend was cheated on & therapy helped her in like2 or 3 sessions and she was better (it must not have been a huge prob then huh?). she thinks any good therapist would make you happy in 2 or 3 sessions
jesus christ that is so wrong
>>
>>5245377
she says shes always sad. and i told her tht therapy takes time and her expecting it to be fixed so quickly shows she doesnt know what shes talking about. she said her friend was cheated on & therapy helped her in like2 or 3 sessions and she was better (it must not have been a huge prob then huh?). she thinks any good therapist would make you happy in 2 or 3 sessions and leaving the office sad is proof it doesnt work. its very aggravating bcuz im not sure she even believes that, shes just mad im diagnosed with GID (i think anyway). i told her id see the only qualified therapist in the area & see what she says, suddenly she didnt want me to change therapists anymore (i think anyway). i told her id see the only qualified therapist in the area & see what she says, suddenly she didnt want me to change therapists anymore
>>
>>5245538
A study of one... Yep, that provides solid proof. *shakes head*

Is there any chance you can have her talk to your therapist so the therapist can clue her in on the therapy process, and what GID really means for you? Especially how few your options are.
>>
>>5245692
she will never talk to him bcuz hes "biased" & "mean". supposedly he yelled at her. i was in the waiting room, i heard 1 person yelling & it wasnt him
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.