[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Acronym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: lgbt.jpg (6 KB, 212x212) Image search: [Google]
lgbt.jpg
6 KB, 212x212
What acronym do you prefer and why?

>LGB+
>T has owt to do with sexuality, it's a separate gender thing
>Q/I/whatever other special snowflake bollocks just serves to make the catchall '+' increasingly vestigial and pointless
>'+' > '*' because since when does 'star' mean 'plus' (hell it usually means 'multiply' which makes no sense in this context)

Tell me I'm wrong. I double dare you.
>>
LGBT+

>Agree on Q & I, if you start adding more letters then it's going to get out of control + serves as a neat catchment.
>T is fine because in the past T was closely aligned with LGB

If I could remove a letter it'd be B, but whatever.
>>
LGBTA
>>
>>5240526
* means anything that has the other part of this string in it
On windows at least, if you search *.txt it will find all txt files and lgbt* would find anything that starts with lgbt.
>>
>>5240568

>T is fine because in the past T was closely aligned with LGB
I feel like that may have been/still be the case, but only because both were marginalised and oppressed. Having it there now makes about as much sense as having B for black people.

>If I could remove a letter it'd be B, but whatever.
Why's that?
>>
>>5240568
Don't remove B, bisexual is separate from homosexual and heterosexual. You need to include it, especially since it was in the acronym from the start. If you want to put all things as the + or *, you should really just use gsm.
>>
>>5240641
I feel like whatever the argument given for '*' over '+', it's probably not got a basis in computer science.

'*' also seems to be the trendy one at the moment. I know my uni's LGBTQ+ is now LGBTQ*.

I do like the thought of making an acronym using regex though. It tickles me.
>>
EVERYONE IS WELCOME IN THE LGBTAIQPBBQNSDAP+ / OTHERKIN / ALLY ALLIANCE !!
>>
>>5240647

>Having it there now makes about as much sense as having B for black people.
Many T people have close relationships with the L/G people, many come out as one before the other - many in the L/G groups sit close to T, but distinct. T is about gender and not sex, but it often manifests as sex first.

>On B
I feel it aligns better with the + rather than needing its own distinction.
>>
>>5240594
Why A? There is no need for it to be there, since an ally is obviously accepted by lgbt, but it isn't part of it.
>>
>>5240683
I would guess the 'A' probably stands for asexual rather than ally
>>
LGBT because everything else is special snowflake shit
>>
>>5240683
A for asexual
>>
Does the + have anything to do with that Atheism+ bullshit where feminists tried to take over atheism? I mean I guess they already own LGBTIQQA basically but still.
>>
>>5240683
>>5240696
Yeah, A means asexual rather than ally. There's no need for ally to be in there, because you're not really part of a sexuality/gender, you're an ally OF lgbt.
>>
>>5240722
Never heard of atheism+, I just use LGBT+ since I want to be inclusive of asexual, non-binary etc but this board gets triggered if I actually use them in the acronym.
>>
Gender and Sexual Minorities. GSM. Or one of the similar acronyms, GSRM or GSD.

It's simple, catch all and it stops special snowflakes using ridiculous acronyms, people arguing over which one is correct and whether they should add or remove a certain letter or why. I'm shocked that we haven't switched already, just as I'm shocked that in 2015 we haven't switched from Feminism to Equalism but whatever.
>>
>>5240526
How about GSM - Gender and Sexual Minorities ?

>It is inclusive of absolutely everyone.
>Scores is more 'muh oppression' points by using the term minority.
>Only uses 3 letters - which you may of noticed makes it even shorter than LGBT.
>>
>>5240659
>>5240778
>>5240794
Huh hadn't heard of GSM before. Can't think of any reason not to use it, so guess I will.

>>5240778
>Equalism
Egalitarianism, surely
>>
>>5240835
Same thing, but equalism is just easier
>>
File: 1437035065001s.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1437035065001s.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
I usually use lgbtxyz. I've never used the acronym seriously and it sounds even worse in my native language.
Thankfully no feminists have bashed me yet because cba holding a coming out speech on the spot and telling them to pic related.

>>5240778
Heyyy I kinda like this one.
>>
I kinda like GBLT, because it sounds like a tasty sandwich. Also it seems fair because Gay men have done almost all the heavy lifting for the movement, they should come first.
>>
>>5241219
Has anyone ever made a guacamole, bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich? Would it be better than a regular BLT?
>>
>>5241255
It would include guacamole.

So no.
>>
>>5240594
A faces exactly no stigma. And it's a treatable medical condition. Get some fucking vitamins, christ.

And no, that doesn't count as a stigma, because I can individually think you're scientifically ignorant without you being denied things like health care, job access, a home, and so on. Which LGBT each have actual problems with.
>>
>>5240835
GSM is what pedophiles try to push in order to sneak back into LGBT. It includes absolutely anyone, so is entirely meaningless. It isn't a cohesive community, it isn't a political arm, it isn't even distinctive. GSM is an acronym in a ton of industries already.
>>
LGBTDEFGRSVAR or LGBTFLJKN

I just type LGBT and mash my hand on the keyboard
>>
GSM is used by phone companies for techincal data. GSRM (Gender, Sexual and Romantic Minoroties) will be less confusing to phone enthusiasts.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.