[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dislike of drag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 620x349
I dislike drag as performance art. I have no problem with men in traditionally women's clothing and vice versa, just as an act. And I'm unsure what to do, as a lot of my friends and people I know in the theater community are all about it.

I dated a trans girl for a couple years and she had a hatred of drag queens. Somehow I think that's influenced me and I feel like a party-pooper when all my friends are excited and cheering at performances or talking about their acts and I am stone faced and cringing inside.

How do (or should) I get past this? I'm queer, I'm not in the closet, I've played female characters on stage despite being male, but men putting on women's clothes that belong in the 1980s and going by Chixa Dixon or something rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>5199650
Same shit here. I don't think you NEED to get past this, but if you seriously want it to be a part of your friendships, I've found that forcing yourself to engage with something is the only way to get over discomfort with it.
>>
drag is stupid tacky and sexist
>>
>>5199650
yep

blackface for women
>>
>>5199650
a bunch of drag queens (i.e. Ru Paul) are transphobic, but there are a lot of them that are fine, idk.
I don't know why they dress in 80s clothes and have stupid names, though. They're pretty ratchet.
>>
>>5199666
Trips for truth I guess? Yeah I might just have to get to know people better and see it more.

>>5199671
That is an angle that bugs me as well.

>>5199678
Ratchet is a perfect word.
>>
>>5199671
and while i dont like drag kings either it is way more problematic when the dominant group is mocking the shit out of the oppressed group than vice versa
>>
>>5199671
>drag queens are black face for women
>trannies dress up as stereotypical women and mock the female gender
Move over drag queens, trannies are the new black face for women.
>>
I never used to get drag at all. As a gay guy coming of age in the mid 2000s, I couldn't understand why being attracted to men needed to be associated with guys dressing up as women and prancing around. It seemed like some weird throwback to the 60s which ought to have stayed there.

Then I actually went to a drag show a couple of years ago while on holiday and it was really fun. Even though they don't sing or anything, the whole performance and the costumes was really entertaining. Then a friend finally persuaded me to watch some of Drag Race and I got hooked.

I guess I'm a convert. It's an odd artform, but's just really lighthearted fun. I can get why it doesn't appeal to people though, in the same way I'll never understand the gays who think Lady Gaga is good.
>>
>>5199650
You shouldn't, OP. It's a bunch of faggots getting together and making fun of women, "Can you believe women do this? Can you believe straight men like this?!" And then they all have a big laugh.

Drag is black face towards women.
>>
>>5199650
Drag is digusting. Everyone should hate it
Trans women should hate it because it perpetuates stereotypes about men in dresses
Cis women should hate it because its mocking them out right
Gays should hate it because its the faggiest thing there is and makes gays look bad, oh, and it attracts fag hags like you wouldnt belive
Straights should hate it cos them god damn queers are being fruity

Dont get past it, it is repulsive, theres nothing wrong with how you feel and youre stupid for being a fucking sheep because the retards around you will clap for anything that bends social norms and how we think about gender
>>
>>5199808
>hates trannies when theyre not stereotypically female
>hurr durr trannies dont act like real women
>hates trannies when they are stereotypically female
>ur mocking womyn!!1!!

Face it, you just hate trannies and will use any bullshit justification to go on hating them. Dont be such a tard
>>
>>5199650
stop being a faggot and obtain a sense of humor
>>
>>5199728
Women aren't oppressed in the West anon
>>
>>5199650
Meh, I've been over the drag scene for years. It's rarely entertaining, and basically never actually sexy so like what's the point? I think gay people still just cling on to it because it's one of the few real "traditions" of the gay community other than pride parades, and now they're buttmad because trans girls don't like it so it's becoming less acceptable. I say good riddance.
>>
File: tumblr_n0jcuvYIaA1silarro1_500.gif (278 KB, 500x675) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0jcuvYIaA1silarro1_500.gif
278 KB, 500x675
>>5199650
Drag is a failed attempt to ride on the coat tails of actual performers who dressed fabulously like liberachi and Prince.
Its for talentless hacks who like theatre but have no artistic skill other than the pathetic skill needed to mime their gace and strip tease while acting like a huge fucking drama fueled faggot.
Its failed cosplay where the person has all the skills and equipment necessary to actually do something beautiful but instead dresses up as a fucked up ultra faggot in lgbt black face.
>>
Lbtg black face? Really?
>>
>>5199650
>How do (or should) I get past this?

I don't know, lighten the fuck up?

Why do you think anyone else cares that you're a huge fucking retard about this?

We're just going to laugh at you for acting this way, we don't need to help you overcome this incredibly simple "problem".
>>
>>5200658
>implying a straight male like yourself has even been to a show
>>
>>5199650
>Drag as performance art

Because it is not performance art, or any kind of art at all. Its egotistical faggots wanting to be congratuated on their faggotry.
>>
>>5199728
Drag queen are more prominent, at least in the public eye too.
>>
>>5209094
This isnt reddit.
>>
File: orsonclapping.gif~c200.gif (93 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
orsonclapping.gif~c200.gif
93 KB, 200x200
>>5199808
>>
>>5209762
see >>5200720
>>
>>5200720
>hates drag queens for putting on a show
>hurr durr drag queens are black face for women
>trannies always act and present as one extreme or the other, never like normal women
>haha we're just like cis women
Face it, you just hate gay men and drag queens and will use any bullshit justification to go hating them because your all homophobic and can't stand the thought of males dressing up like women and actually looking better then you.

Don't be such retard.
>>
>>5199650
You don't have to like what everyone else likes just because you all happen to be faggots.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.