[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the purposes of debating gender and lgbt is the status of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 1433967105462.jpg (40 KB, 489x445) Image search: [Google]
1433967105462.jpg
40 KB, 489x445
For the purposes of debating gender and lgbt is the status of that person relevant?

picture related
>>
The status of the person you are debating?
>>
Queer and female points of view should be given more weight on issues pertaining to queers and females because those are the people who actually have lived experience being queers and women. Plus the fact that the groups have been historically silenced and marginalized means that they should be given a space to speak and be heard.
>>
>>5184871
This is bullshit. If you're asking a question such as "do you think __ is a slur" then yes their membership to that community is relevant. If you're debating something like whether abortion is morally wrong, you being female and having the ability to grow babies is completely independent of whether or not abortion is morally right, therefore your opinion bears no more weight than anyone else's.
>>
>>5184892

Considering that people who become pregnant have a significantly larger stake in said pregnancy, I think it's pretty obvious that their opinions should matter more.
>>
>>5184858
Hypothetically you're talking to a post-transition closeted trans person about women's and (to a lesser degree) trans issues.

Does the fact they refuse to confirm or deny come across as disingenuous. I'm not even necessarily saying their opinions are more valued, just that disclosure should happen.
>>
>>5184898
It doesn't magically change the morality of the situation just because it effects you more.
>>
>>5184853
I mean ideally no, but there will be situations likes
>>5184892
>If you're asking a question such as "do you think __ is a slur" then yes their membership to that community is relevant.
as well as situations where personal experience will count as evidence or such, so that also is relevant.
If you never deny the personal experience of the minority member and keep it entirely outside of that realm, than it won't matter. But that could make it seem like the person avoiding it is being cold and sterile, forgetting the human side of the problems.
>>
>>5184911
Should people living in Egpyt or Poland be able to tell Americans how to live their life?
>>
>>5184911
although harm that it does to a person on a personal level is primarily experienced by the person experiencing it.
Black guy: hey this seems a bit racist (followed by racist situation.)
White guy: I SEE NOTHING WRONG HERE!
You might not see it if you are not part of the affected community.
>>
Does nobody know that this is Brianna Wu, that crazy bitch who is constantly fighting about Gamergate crap on Twitter and shit? Lel.
>>
>>5185570
No one in the OP picture looks even remotely like Brianna Wu.
>>
>>5185605

you aren't fooling anyone brianna
>>
>>5185605
oh stfu. You fucking retard. You can even see the same asymmetrical droopy eye/eyebrow. You are full of shit lol.
>>
File: 1406123767974.png (332 KB, 656x505) Image search: [Google]
1406123767974.png
332 KB, 656x505
>>5185605
>>
>>5185616
No, seriously. Which one of the three people in the OP do you think looks like Brianna?
>>
>>5185616
lol i wonder if its actually her. Who else would care enough to deny reality that those two are the same person
>>
>>5185631
What would Brianna have to gain from it anyway?
>>
File: 1431992675576.jpg (90 KB, 1024x363) Image search: [Google]
1431992675576.jpg
90 KB, 1024x363
>>5185605
>John Flynt
>>
File: 1443796969890.jpg (135 KB, 550x824) Image search: [Google]
1443796969890.jpg
135 KB, 550x824
>>5186098
>Brianna Wu
>>
File: 1437684918266.png (1 MB, 1360x4113) Image search: [Google]
1437684918266.png
1 MB, 1360x4113
>>5186098
>>5186104
John Flynt and Brianna like motorcycles, drawing comic strips and moved to Colardo
>>
>>5186098
And, who in the picture looks like this John Flynt person? What does John Flynt even look like?
>>
>>5186098
I've never seen someone draw a female character with yaoi hands.
>>
>>5186146
>What does John Flynt even look like?
The dude in the OP
>>
>>5186178
You mean the one in the bottom left? They look nothing like Brianna Wu.
>>
>>5184905
>Does the fact they refuse to confirm or deny come across as disingenuous.
To be fair, whether someone is trans or not is confidential medical information protected by doctor-patient privilege. You can't ignore and override the law just because you want to socially destroy a specific person. Plus, it's illogical to hold her to a higher standard than your average person if your entire argument is that you're not doing that, that she's crazy for saying that she experiences unfair prejudice from men who gather in places like this online and game the system for their own benefit at the expense of women's rights.

Honestly, this is the issue right here. Regardless of its initial goals, the entire process of Gamergate has done nothing but reinforce to the rest of the normal world that the internet is full of angry, nerdy men who are really upset about people who aren't angry, nerdy men playing and developing video games. Even if that wasn't true in the beginning, it's definitely true now with all of the blatantly misogynist trolls inundating everything that even remotely looks like it has a vagina, and is at least tangentially related to video games.
>>
>>5186269
>the entire process of Gamergate
I agree, but I can't help but feel like it's predictable reaction to what seems like the biggest example streisand effect to date.

I don't think the damage can be undone without the ability to discuss it.
>>
>>5186204
it's the same person, it's a weight loss photo.

Also see picture at bottom >>5186111
>>
>>5186335
The picture at the bottom of >>5186111 looks kind of like Brianna (similar face shape) but the fat guy in the OP pic really has only minimal similarities.
>>
im pretty sure hes potato on some level
>>
File: 1437784780725.gif (2 MB, 750x396) Image search: [Google]
1437784780725.gif
2 MB, 750x396
>>5186344
>ears
>eyes(brows)
>hair-line
>nose
It's a weight loss photo
>>
>>5186327
>I agree, but I can't help but feel like it's predictable reaction to what seems like the biggest example streisand effect to date.
It is predictable, and the prediction average society makes about things concerning women in typically male areas of interest is always negative and filled with expectations of obvious misogyny... which is exactly what was delivered in droves. If GG supporters really wanted to make an impact, maybe they shouldn't have flooded practically every bit of related media with batshit crazy misogynistic trolling. It's like what happened with the Occupy movement, a lack of leadership, focus and opinion vetting. When you let everyone speak for you, your "ideals" become their uninformed opinions, petty prejudices and bigotry. GG started off crying about "ethics in game journalism" and now they're chomping at the bit trying to dox some woman's medical records in order to destroy a critic socially? That's reprehensible.
>>
>>5186429
I feel like the misogynist label is being thrown around with ease and people are all too willing to denounce legitimate criticism. I think GG was the reaction to how the media handled the controversy, not the other way around.

>now they're chomping at the bit trying to dox some woman's medical records in order to destroy a critic socially
I don't think anyone is trying to do this.
>>
>>5186098
>>5186104

this is the nail in the coffin. Brianna Wu is John Flynt
>>
>>5186446
>>now they're chomping at the bit trying to dox some woman's medical records in order to destroy a critic socially
>I don't think anyone is trying to do this.
Well, people seem to be making quite a big deal over whether Brianna is trans or not when it's not really relevant.
>>
>>5186484
it seems relevant in the context of what she does and by (poorly) hiding it you create suspicion.

Personally matters become less than totally private in the realm of public discourse and politics. Political ideologies exist in a grey area between private citizen and political candidate.
>>
>>5186635
>ideologies
ideologues*
>>
>>5186446
>I feel like the misogynist label is being thrown around with ease and people are all too willing to denounce legitimate criticism.
It's being thrown around with ease because a vast majority of the "movement" as seen by the general public is yet another outlet for aimless internet misogyny. Any remotely salient point that's made by maybe two or three unconfirmed "leaders" of the "movement" is drowned amid a sea of conspiracy theory and shitposting that they themselves tolerate and pander to for what they see as grassroots support. They thought they could outsource the grunt work of their particular brand of activism to anonymous anti-feminist neckbeards on the internet who have their own personal agendas when it comes to women. It blew up in their faces. Absolutely no one supports Gamergate except for one or two forgotten B-list celebrities and some small pockets of buttfrustrated 4chan and reddit users who still whine about any games that include women in a positive light, LGBT anything, or that aren't competitive on a pro level.

Now, instead of addressing the views of a critic they're looking for means to destroy and/or silence her through illegally obtained medical information. It's pathetic desperation.

>I don't think anyone is trying to do this.
People try to do this whenever she's mentioned, and it's why this thread exists on this particular board in the first place anon. This isn't the first iteration of this thread either.
>>
>>5186635
>we want ethics in game journalism!
>we can do this by outing a potential trans person through illegal doxxing!
Nah.
>>
File: 1425540535618.gif (713 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1425540535618.gif
713 KB, 250x141
>>5186683
>implying GG
>implying illegal doxxing
>implying vidya
>>
>>5186693
>implying GG
>implying vidya
GG is the only reason she's ever discussed, and /v/ is the only reason GG is ever discussed. No one would care about her or her opinions otherwise.

>implying illegal doxxing
If you access someone's legitimate medical records without real legal precedent, that's what's called illegal doxxing anon.
>>
>>5186672
I'm not going to defend GG.

GG only exists as a reaction to a bunch of journalists knee jerking because a bunch of girls cried. Everyone saw the hypocrisy and that's the only reason it happened. If it was handled like any other incident it would have been fine, except they knee-jerked, because girls cried.

>>5186710
>If you access someone's legitimate medical records without real legal precedent, that's what's called illegal doxxing anon.
reminder that this hasn't happened.
>>
>>5186635
Why exactly is her being trans or not relevant? And how does that justify outing her without her permission?
>>
>>5186768
>reading comprehension
>>
>>5186777
What are you even trying to say? What specifically makes that information relevant, and how does it justify outing her?
>>
>>5186746
>I'm not going to defend GG
>defends GG for the next three sentences

>reminder that this hasn't happened.
You said
>Does the fact they refuse to confirm or deny come across as disingenuous. I'm not even necessarily saying their opinions are more valued, just that disclosure should happen.
A person's medical records are private and protected by law whether they're trans or not. They're not obligated to disclose them just so you can give them personal permission to have an opinion on something.

It's like the birth certificate conspiracy surrounding Obama. Instead of addressing the views of the person in question, they're trying to destroy and slander them as an individual to remove those opinions from the dialogue entirely.
>>
File: 1443013976098.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
1443013976098.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
>>5186832
>>straight forward statement on how GG could have been avoided
>defending GG

>>come across as disingenuous
>illegal doxing
>>
>>5186817
The same reason jury panels are selected from a cross-section of demographics and it wasn't okay for that NAACP lady to misrepresent herself as being black. Bias comes into every facet of life and when you present yourself as a political ideologue it's important people know who you are to fully trust you as a political figure.

We're not talking about random trans people, we're talking about someone who may go up in front of a bunch of politicians to speak on these issues. She's putting herself in a dangerous position to be fully outed in an uncontrolled manner that may put actual political movements into jeopardy.

At least Obama denied he was Kenyan.
>>
>>5186895
I still don't think that necessarily justifies outing her. At the very least, the people outing her should realize that they're responsible for anything bad that happens to her as a result of outing her (I doubt anything major will happen in this case, but some trans people live in areas where they can be killed if anyone finds out they're trans).
>>
>>5186916
>At the very least, the people outing her should realize that they're responsible for anything bad that happens to her as a result of outing her
They don't actually care if bad things happen to people.
>>
>>5186446

>woman

jesus christ, talk about old news.
>>
>>5186104
I'm really offended that Brianna Wu made a game about cis, able bodied, white women with bodies that give real women a distorted lens on how "a woman's body should look like" AKA supermodel on crack skinny.

Where's the black women? Where's the trans women? Where's the disabled women? I'm pissed.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.