[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pride
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: us_gay3.gif (3 KB, 420x221) Image search: [Google]
us_gay3.gif
3 KB, 420x221
Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I find things such as gay pride, lesbian pride and other various forms of sexuality-based self-appreciation to be kind of pointless. I've always thought pride came from the feeling of accomplishment for something you've personally achieved, not something you didn't choose. As a homosexual man myself, I find it pretty self-indulgent to parade around announcing who you are to the world.

Anybody else agree?
>>
>board share the same site as /pol/
>needing to ask the obvious
>>
>>5171600
Just because I'm not a fan of gay pride doesn't mean I'm a stormfag from /pol/, man.
>>
>>5171590

Seems you've missed the point of what the "pride" is about, so no, can't say I agree.
>>
File: original (2).png (263 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
original (2).png
263 KB, 500x310
>>5171610
why not?
>>
>>5171622
I'm all about equality and self-appreciation, but I just feel like the premise of most 'pride' driven things doesn't help other people learn to accept and understand us.
>>
Nah, you're wrong. Your definition is pride is very exclusive; actual pride isn't actually like that.
For example, American Pride. What is there to have pride about being an American? Did you create the United States? Did you fight in any wars for it? Who cares. If you are happy to be something then you can have pride for it.
You're just questioning it because, well, you can. And that's okay. But just don't make yourself sound stupid, because you don't need to be a superhero to have pride in some thing.
>>
>>5171689
I guess that makes some sense. I dunno, I guess it's the way it's generally carried out that irritates me. I feel like it just widens the gap between us and the rest of the population.
>>
I can get the original intent to them; basically to not be invisible like was tried previously to no fucking avail. So in the original form it may well have been useful in getting gays being people you can't shove back into closets as far as public consciousness goes. Well that's not really an issue anymore.

Trans people...obviously don't get quite the same benefit from it that gays used to, since most of us just want to fucking transition as quietly and as passably as possible. You do not try to use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

As for how they are in current times I couldn't say. Never been to one myself, I hate being in crowds, so I don't bother considering it anyway.
>>
>>5171708
Honestly, it closes it. People get out and see us and think, wow, this is a lot of fags. And they are happy people, good for them.
I completely understand where you are coming from, but I will tell you what I think. Since you do not fit the "gay stereotype" that is often displayed in the LGBT community - and therefore pride, you alienate yourselves from them by saying "But I'm not like that!"
Well man. The thing is that a lot of the people who go to pride aren't gay. If the only people that went to pride were LGBT, that would tell me, other people do not want to be around us. But since there are so many people that go, have a good time, see all kinds of people being themselves, it opens them up to the LGBT community...or some shit like that.
Basically, it does more good than harm because it gives us (mostly) positive visibility.
>>
>>5171590
it was meant to counter the idea that we should be ashamed of being faggots

but nowadays you are right it's pointless
>>
File: j53jf.jpg (26 KB, 420x365) Image search: [Google]
j53jf.jpg
26 KB, 420x365
>>5171776
I feel like it tries to paint a fake, flamboyant facade over all of us, despite how we carry ourselves about.

I think our real approach should be individualism and the fact that we gays/lesbians/bis are no different than anybody else deep down. Instead we get giant dildos and rainbow flags down the street.
>>
>>5171815
Have you ever been to a pride parade before? The things you see on /pol/ and Google Images aren't necessarily accurate depictions of a Pride parade.
It's not fake, because some people really are flamboyant, it's just how they are. There are lots of regular people too who you would never associate with gay stereotypes, and they're there at Pride having a good time.
Yeah, individualism is good, but a big part of Pride is embracing LGBT community. We aren't all just individuals, we're a group of people with common struggles. So Pride recognizes that.
>>
>>5171689
>What is there to have pride about being an American?
None. Nationalism is stupid.
>>
>>5172033
What I'm saying is that, do nationalists deserve to be shamed because they are proud of where they come from? Personally, I do not think so.
>>
>>5172063
Yes.
>>
>>5172177
*shrug*
This is where the argument ends. I think not, you think, yes. But either way, people do feel pride about these things.
>>
Here Pride festival is just another excuse for people to get wasted in public whether you're straight or gay
I see no one complaining
>>
>>5171590
>As a homosexual man myself, I find it pretty self-indulgent to parade around announcing who you are to the world.
Pride isn't about you, and you as a homosexual have nothing to do with pride.

Pride is for straight people to flaunt to everyone how progressive and accepting they are of those who aren't cishet.
>>
>>5171815

I get you OP, and I feel the same way you do in a way. But, you should understand that pride really basically means "happy with something". LGBT communities took this and made it the other meaning, meaning something like boastful. The stickers, the tumblr way of telling everybody your sexual orientation/gender identity or what particularly bothers me, is identifying as "trans" as opposed to the gender that you want.

You probably feel like sexual orientation and gender identity should be kept sort of private, and not just told to anyone who doesn't ask or put on the back of your car windshield, yes? I think some people see it as a sense of community or well, identity, similar to how football fans will put flats on their windows of the cars (the lil ones u squeeze between the window and roof u kno)

To me, it makes people seem really boastful of how they are in almost a smug way. Maybe my point of view is wrong, but I can't shake it.
>>
>>5171590
To me pride is not parades or dancing around flaunting yourself, it is being proud of who you are. it does not need to be an accomplishment for you to be proud. Gay people for so long have been taught to be ashamed of themselves and who they are. To me pride is taking back your life and your self worth and being Proud of who you are.
>>
YES

MANY PEOPLE HERE AGREE

THIS HAS BEEN BEATEN INTO THE GROUND NUMEROUS TIMES

IS THIS YOUR FIRST TIME ON THIS BOARD?
>>
>>5171590
>Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I find things such as gay pride, lesbian pride and other various forms of sexuality-based self-appreciation to be kind of pointless.

Ok, seriously go fuck yourself - I'm so tired of hearing that shit from gays nowadays.

You know the only reason you're able to walk down the street/hold a job/gain housing in today's society as a homosexual man is directly BECAUSE of the gay pride movement? Without gay pride homosexuality would still be illegal and we'd still be getting beaten to death when found out with a judicial system that wouldn't give two shits about finding out who murdered us.

Learn your history and have some fucking respect for those that came before you and had the courage to speak out, giving you the cushy, safe environment you enjoy as a gay person in America today.
>>
File: 74538.jpg (16 KB, 213x206) Image search: [Google]
74538.jpg
16 KB, 213x206
>>5176840
>"My people are oppressed."
>violent uprising
>human rights gained / all is well
>have violent uprising each year to keep rights

This is your logic.
>>
>>5176840

lol with friends like these who needs enemies?

"fall in line or be shunned!"
>>
>>5171590
Pride parades and the sort aren't about "look at how i love dick" but rather are about "look at how i'm a normal person." And just like every other group of people, the lgbt crowd has a few eccentrics who take these opertunities to dress like an idiot and be siily. Because that's what people do at parades, sporting events, conventions and any chance they get.
>>
You're missing the historical and social context of Pride. It's a response to the hateful attitudes that persist to this day about gender/sexual minorities and often demand that we live in the shadows, pretending to be other people just so we won't hurt close-minded people's feelings. The point is to be proud of who you are and don't be someone else for the sake of others as opposed to being ashamed of it.
>>
>>5177352
lel, because gay pride parades are soooo violent

And if you think human rights have been gained and all is totally well in the lgbt community you're a fucking retard. Sexual orientation isn't even a federally protected class - yet religious affiliation, a CHOICE, is.

Again, learn your history, and again, go fuck yourself.

>>5177357
If you can't at least pay homage and give respect for those who fought for the rights you take for granted, you should be shunned.
>>
>>5183637
for some reason i get the feeling you're really short irl
>>
>>5171590
Oh for fucks sake. Why are faggots so uneducated with regard to their own history. At least for american based fags, pride was originally done to bring media attention to the aids epidemic. Essentially the government, state, and political officials were letting hundreds and thousands of homosexuals die from aids, and there was no research or aid given to those poor unfortunate souls.

Why couldnt the fucking epidemic taken your worthless brain as well? ill never know.
>>
>>5179285
you're an idiot. it's not "a few eccentrics" when the vast majority of people are sucking eachothers dick. just look at the folsom street fair
>>
>>5171590
yeah it's pretty dumb
>>
>>5183677
Meh, I'm about 5'8'' so yeah. I love my height though ;)
>>
>>5183838
Folsom street fair isn't a gay pride event - it's a leather/kink/fetish convention open to all orientations, you fuckwit.
>>
>>5171590
I think it's less about "I am proud for being a gays" and more about "You can try to shame me for being gay but I am still able to be proud in myself for who I am and what I have done." So, disagree.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.