[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is the year 2020, and science as concluded that transsexualism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: ADP_05.jpg (269 KB, 1500x1112) Image search: [Google]
ADP_05.jpg
269 KB, 1500x1112
It is the year 2020, and science as concluded that transsexualism is in fact a mental illness.

> Should people still be allowed to transition?

> If not, what should the treatment be for people who are diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria?

> What should happen to people who have already transitioned or are in the process of transitioning?
>>
>>6437377

Your premise is utterly retarded, but I'll play along for the sake of argument

> Should people still be allowed to transition?

I think the bigger issue is the implication that you want a large government that dictates that people can and cannot do to their own bodies. It's none of my, your or the government's fucking business if someone wants to pop hormones and dress like the opposite sex.

> If not, what should the treatment be for people who are diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria?

Let me point out that the premise is inherently illogical. Postmortem examinations of trans brains have revealed similarities to the opposite sex, so this is an issue of how the brain is physically wired. No medical miracle could possibly alter brain development, or at least not in such a specific and targeted way. The brain is an incredibly intricate organ, and any specific component of an individual's identity or personality may involve hugely complex interconnected pathways scattered all throughout various areas of the brain. Unless this is the year 102020 and human beings can be redesigned on a subatomic level, I just can't see any other form of "treatment" except a total brain rewire being viable.

> What should happen to people who have already transitioned or are in the process of transitioning?

See the first paragraph.
>>
>>6437473
>you want a large government that dictates that people can and cannot do to their own bodies

Not me. Just trying to understand the "trans people are mentally ill" argument. If there's no treatment or solution for it, why are people so dead-set on arguing whether or not it is a mental illness? (tl;dr I agree with you)
>>
>>6437377
>implying the world won't be complete gynocentric matriarchy after hillary wins the election, becomes world overlord in less than a year and impliments forced estrogen injections on all men besides gay men who will act as beasts of labor in the new world order
>>
If people are allowed to kill themselves guzzling unsatisfying nutrient-free calories, why shouldn't something so comparatively less severe be permitted?
>>
>>6437377
OP Here. I tried to make the questions more interesting but the general idea is:

>Ok. Let's say transsexualism is a mental illness. Now what?
>>
>>6437614
Doesn't change anything. Treatment to minimize damage is needed, and the treatment should be the one most effective to achieve this. So far transitioning is the best choice.
>>
>>6437377
It is a mental illness and the current treatment is designed with that in mind laddie. I don't really understand why tards think that would change anything
>>
>>6437377
>> Should people still be allowed to transition?
Yes, people should be free to do whatever they want to with their body especially if it causes no serious harm (ie. doesn't lower their life quality, voluntary infertility doesn't count)

>> If not, what should the treatment be for people who are diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria?
The one with highest rates of success, if it's transition let's keep it transition, if it's something that makes them okay with their bodies let them choose or combine it with transition
Ideally you'd have multiple treatment options for different people since transition doesn't work for everyone and won't for quite a while

>> What should happen to people who have already transitioned or are in the process of transitioning?
They should be free to do what they want
>>
My argument for transition is that it can't be a mental illness since it has a cure. By definition, mental illnesses are chronic, incurable diseases that cause anywhere from manageable to total dysfunction. If it was classified as a mental illness, it would literally be the first mental illness to have ANY cure available whatsoever, since passing transgender people can completely re-integrate into society as super-stealth, even if it is extremely rare!

>>6437614

HRT and GRS is a treatment (and a cure in some cases) regardless if it's a mental illness or not. In the case of delusional hons, it's either not the root cause/part of a host of mental issues, and in non-passing hons is simply unpleasant to look at, such as people withering away from chemotherapy. Doesn't make chemotherapy any less of a treatment (and sometimes a cure) for cancer, even if it isn't "ideal" morally or biologically.

>>6437532

If it's a mental illness, then technically it's objectively morally "incorrect" and gives the person moral leverage in their argument against treatment. Doesn't change anything practically, though. It's an argument more fit for epistemological debates than in doctor offices or the government.

In reality >>6439080 is probably what would happen, and the earth would keep on spinning.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.