[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will warhorses ever have a place on the battlefield again? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: muh honor.jpg (170 KB, 633x950) Image search: [Google]
muh honor.jpg
170 KB, 633x950
Will warhorses ever have a place on the battlefield again? What about melee combat techniques?

I don't think there's been even a bayonet charge since WWII.
>>
There's been quite a few bayonet charges since WW2. I know for sure there were several in Korea, and lots of melee, pretty sure there was one in the Falklands and I know there was one in Iraq 2: Electric Boogajew of all conflicts.
>>
If you somehow end up in such a situation that cars, quads, motorcycles or some such isn't an option, then a horse might be one.

But with weapons from the last or current century, don't expect the cavalry to be worth much if fighting as anything but dragoons. A horse-sized target running around in the open won't last long.
>>
>>29756677
If SHTF real hard and we lose all the capability to manufacture smokeless powder? Yes.

Cavalry became obsolete because of two inventions: Machine gun and barbed wire.

Without smokeless powder it's back to black powder. And since black powder fouls the barrel and doesn't back the same violent chemical punch machine gun is no longer a viable option like it is now. Closest thing you can get is mechanically revolving gatling -style weapons and even they can't compare to modern machine guns..

For the same fouling reasons close and brutal hand to hand combat would make a spectacular come back.
>>
>>29756753
I could see it arguably having some usefulness in an insurgency type situation. By which I mean, attacking an organized force with lots of manpower but few firearms or heavy equipment. Riot cops are what I'm talking about here. Agents of a regime that aren't the military, and so they don't necessarily carry tanks and firearms, but there still isn't shit you can do against them without some type of shock force.
>>
>>29756677
yep they can retake a plac but a doubt that was a melee things

more like reco or fast and easy move on cas of guerrillas warfare or after a clash of the world (imagine a zombie apocalypse like hollywood paint them, the horse and the spear will be a great weapon when petrole and amo will be out)
>>
File: 1449260442708.jpg (555 KB, 610x778) Image search: [Google]
1449260442708.jpg
555 KB, 610x778
>>
File: cct-horseback.jpg (20 KB, 394x266) Image search: [Google]
cct-horseback.jpg
20 KB, 394x266
Horses are still useful for getting around in backcountry. General Dostum and his Uzbek cavalry made several charges against the taliban supported by American airstrikes during Operation Jawbreaker.
>>
One tank crew got bayonetted to death in Liberia's "civil war"
>>
>>29756819
So what does he do during incoming fire? Jump off and use the dead horse as cover?
>>
>>29756677
On the actual battlefield? No. For support and getting around without vehicles, sure. Melee combat will never again be a big part of war until there's some event that sends humans back centuries. Sure it happens occasionally but it's always a last resort rather than something you'd specifically train your troops to do regularly.
>>
>>29756810
Holy shit, are you 12?
>>
>>29756776
Cavalry became obsolete with the helicopter
>>
>>29757059
You know of many succesful cavalry charges in WW2?
>>
>Here is a liveleak with details about the most recent British Bayonet charge in Basra, since I can't find the article I had.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865
>>
File: 1460559528875.jpg (80 KB, 978x654) Image search: [Google]
1460559528875.jpg
80 KB, 978x654
>>29756677
Still used by the police, so they have some advantages.
But against crowds that don't have firearms
>>
>>29757384
"I wanted to put the fear of God into the enemy. I could see some dead bodies and eight blokes, some scrambling for their weapons. I’ve never seen such a look of fear in anyone’s eyes before. I’m over six feet; I was covered in sweat, angry, red in the face, charging in with a bayonet and screaming my head off. You would be scared, too."

Corporal Brian Wood
Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment
Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865#WBDGwyIrkYT1zgyD.99
>>
File: 17isoyhgfhymcjpg.jpg (64 KB, 504x315) Image search: [Google]
17isoyhgfhymcjpg.jpg
64 KB, 504x315
>>29757400
>>
File: army mules.jpg (72 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
army mules.jpg
72 KB, 600x400
>>29757059
why did the military use mules in afghanistan
>>
>>29757096

By the time WW2 came around cavalry was still useful because of mobility but they would dismount before an actual fight.

The only time Poles actually charged was on Wehrmacht infantry encampments to break out of encirclement, as a desperate measure and achieving surprise. Some of these succeeded.

Nobody ever charged tanks in open field on purpose.
>>
>>29757550
>pack animals
>cavalry
>>
File: PLA BP.jpg (134 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
PLA BP.jpg
134 KB, 700x467
The PLA border units use horses.
>>
File: crc cavlary.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
crc cavlary.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
,,no one stays in the way of a horse´´
>>
>>29757096
I know of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Savoia_Cavalleria_at_Isbuscenskij
>>
>>29756677
duh, as soon as the dust settles, and the last of the zombies are down, we will have no one to run the electric plants or refine the oil.
all warfare will take place on horses. we will fashion cevlar suites for them, because bullets will be the last thing that runs out
i personally can't wait.
>>
File: lefties getting rekt.jpg (114 KB, 1025x615) Image search: [Google]
lefties getting rekt.jpg
114 KB, 1025x615
>>29757705
Sometimes they do.
>>
>>29757977
This is an 18+ board, faggot. Is it summer already?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.