[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you US guys name your rifles? Mx MxAy What do x and y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
How do you US guys name your rifles?
Mx
MxAy
What do x and y depend on? Do the numbers actually have any pattern?
>>
The x is the version of the firearm. The y is the sub model. For example, M16 (version) A4 (sub model). In other words, it's the 4th "update " of the m16.
>>
MxAy
x = number in series
y = model changes

Starts at M1 for each item at about start of WW2, so:
M1 rifle = Garand, then lots of experimental numbers XMxEy where X is 'eXperimental' and 'E' instead of A for changes... until eventually new M14 Rifle, then M15 fullauto variant.... then M16, M16A1, M16A2 etc etc.... so next replacement rifle should be M17 in about another 50 years...

M1 Carbine is first WW2era short rifle, then with change of folding paratroop stock is M1A1 Carbine, with major change to fullauto is M2, then IR sniperscope variant is M3 Carbine... no more carbines until short version of M16 Rifle is named as M4 Carbine, then add rails to be M4A1... so if there is a short variant of the M17 or a new carbine design it should be M5...
>>
There's a thing I don't get, though.
Let's say you take an M4, an M16 and then an M14. What does the M14 have in common with the other two? And yet it's in between them. It's not like it's an upgraded M4. Also, what does the 'M' and 'A' stand for? I can't seem to get the acronym.
>>
>>29754951
M is model
I believe A is alteration but I could be entirely wrong
>>
>>29754951

See the post above you. It explains all.
>>
File: tumblr_nu93wfAOiR1r4if08o1_1280.jpg (274 KB, 833x960) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu93wfAOiR1r4if08o1_1280.jpg
274 KB, 833x960
>>29754951
model
addendum

Stop over thinking about it, your trying to look at the end result and figure out how it was made. Pentagon weapons procurement is a convoluted, occult thing.

If you really want to get your autism on, look at ammo. Same mxay naming scheme.
>>
>>29754951
Rifles and Carbines and SMGs are all different series, as >>29754940 , same as M3 Halftrack isn't between M1A1 Abrams Tank and M20 3.5in bazooka
>>
>>29754988
Right, I made my post right as you posted it (slow typing on phone). Thanks a lot, it's all clear to me now.
>>
Where are you from op?
>>
>>29755013
Romania. It's not like I'll ever get my hands on a gun but I like military stuff in general.
>>
>>29755039

Sad to hear /k/omrade
>>
>>29755039

Ah cool. I'd like to visit some day.
>>
>>29755052
Yeah, it sucks. Can't get my hands on one of them PSLs. But who knows, maybe the laws will change in the future.
>>29755054
Cheers m8
>>
>>29755107

What's life in Romania like? What do you do for a living?
>>
>>29755113
Same crap like in all Eastern Europe. Corrupt and bad infrastructure. Could be a lot worse, though, so I'm not complaining. If you want to visit something here, go for the rural areas/nature, that's something to see.

I'm a student, nothing related to military, but it's kind of my - so far solely intellectual - hobby.

I also play a lot of Project Reality :^)
>>
>>29755155

Cool. Hopefully one day. Closest I've come is Hungary.

Ever been to the US?
>>
>>29754940
>>29754951
If you look deeper into it, a lot of the missing numbers in the sequence were weapons that were never adopted or are obscure and rare. The previously mentioned M15 is a perfect example. No marked M15 rifles were ever made.

The military also does very weird shit like designating random firearms with the Mk (mark) instead of M. Examples include the Mk 16 and Mk17 (SCAR H and L), as well as the Mk 46. It's my understanding that those are inter-service designations used for SOF type stuff. Instead of the A suffix they use mod (short for modification). i.e. Mk 46 mod 0. I have no idea why the first modification starts at 0.
>>
>>29755169
Nope. Chances are I will sometime, gf grew up over there.
>>
>>29755199

Your gf grew up in the US and moved to Romania? How did that happen? Where is she from in the US?
>>
>>29755187
Not 100% sure, but Romanians label their guns with Md., and now that we have adapted an AR, it's called M1. So we use both Md. and M names to designate ''Model.'' Oh well, guess it's not that important.
>>
The Romanian Air Force currently operates modernized Soviet MiG-21 LanceR fighters, which are due to be replaced by modernized ex-Portuguese F-16 fighters by 2016.

Interesting. I wonder what block F-16s those are.
>>
Not to be insulting but is the TR-85 actually good for anything, since as far as I know it's just an upgraded T-55?
>>
>>29755208
Her parents are from here.

>>29755266
I suppose it does fine in the Middle East. A tank is a tank, after all. Besides, it's not like we're a super military power, or even likely to engage in combat with a real army.

Also, keep in mind that wiki is somewhat outdated for us. And from what I've heard, we're up for some updating in terms of equipment.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.