[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few years ago I read a story on reddit that kind of stuck with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: BRey.jpg (31 KB, 570x242) Image search: [Google]
BRey.jpg
31 KB, 570x242
A few years ago I read a story on reddit that kind of stuck with me for some reason.

A (future redditor) submarine sailor was on his sub and for some reason (technical or human error) the sub started diving suddenly and uncontrollably. The was a guy who was supposed to do his job and respond to this event to stop the dive and level out/surface. Instead though he just crouched down and quietly panicked and wouldn't respond to anyone while the sub continued to fall. Other people had trained for his position and they stepped up and performed his duties and the incident ended there except that the panicked sailor was quietly transferred away when they got to port 2 weeks later and was never heard from again.

I always liked this story for some reason. Anyone have any more like this? Military related or otherwise.
>>
just realized I said 'for some reason' 3 times, also I made it sounded like the panicked guy dissapeared forever when really the reddit guy just never found out what happened with him,
>>
For some reason, that's spoopy.
>>
>>29749028
Such is life.

I run a grocery store for a living. We brought on another manager who was a little older and thought he was superior, knew everything, etc...

Then one day the power goes out. I know running a grocery store doesn't sound exciting but when you have 150 employees, 10s of thousands of dollars worth of refrigerated product and suddenly the whole world is looking at you, "What do we do?" "When's the power coming back on?" "OMG we're going to lose the product!?" "Give us all direction now!" and if you screw up, don't handle it right, you have a major embarrassing loss that everyone knows about.
So anyway, about 10 minutes into the power being out I see the guy with his emergency manual in his hand just walk up to me blank faced after I've been directing people already and he's just like, "What do I do?"
From then on he recognized me as the alpha.
>>
>>29751334
So what do you do?
>>
Hey man, even Johan from Das Boot lost his shit. Of course, they were actually being depth charged to hell and back.
>>
>>29751334
one time I was in the toy dept at my local Cracker Barrel and the power went out, I could have been kidnapped.

So what should I have done
>>
>>29751334
no back up generator? what folly. They're not cheap, but they're not so dear that they won't pay for themselves with a single power outage. you need only change the fuel out every 6 months so it doesn't turn to muck
>>
He failed to follow orders in a situation that involved a very expensive toy and many lives. But mainly the sub they care about.

He probably had a psych eval, said he panicked, and either got discharged or is hanging out in levinworth
>>
>>29751451
We natural gas powered large displacement v8 engine running a backup generator and it auto kicks on, ideally. It's enough to run the computers and emergency lighting only, no where near enough to the refrigeration or all the lights in the store.

>>29751368
>>29751409
Not like I didn't see this coming. In addition to the refrigeration it's a few hundred customers and a bunch of panicked employees.
To answer your question, you have to make sure the correct power switches are off in the back or everything could literally fry itself when the power comes back on, you have to get all of the customers out of the store, get a hold of the power company, start pulling cardboard from the back to cover the cases but we put down plastic sheeting first which is kept in the back of the back of the store, you contact the district manager, then you have to do a sweep of the store make sure the customers are all, close down, in the mean time you needed to make sure nobody came in the front, so you check the restrooms too etc... Then if you can get an ETA from the power company you have to decide if you want to bring in refrigerated trucks to store the product or dry ice to put in all the cases, if you need to call in help from other stores to pull all the product.
The entire division gets to hear how you handled it and it turns you into a hero or a zero real quick. It's not that it's a life or death situation but you try having 100 people running up to you from all directions asking what to do while you're trying to coordinate everything and not look like a fool. I think you'd be surprised how many people just can't deal.
>>
>>29749028
Bad OP pic that dude was actually alpha as fuck he just got fucked by nature.
>>
>>29751409
kek
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.