[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it that makes night vision technology so fucking expensive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1458282891711.jpg (51 KB, 670x472) Image search: [Google]
1458282891711.jpg
51 KB, 670x472
What is it that makes night vision technology so fucking expensive?
>>
File: nidemare bision.jpg (56 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nidemare bision.jpg
56 KB, 722x349
>>29299179
Emulating the Ray Charles experience is not easy, therefore it is not cheap.
>>
expensive technology

Company makes cheap nightvision now, but it is literally LITERALLY

A scope
With a camera on the back
And an IR illuminator
>>
>>29299179
Image intensifier tubes vary greatly in image clarity and must be graded like diamonds. In a given production run, the difference in how many you will get that aretop tier vs. cabelas $199 tier is literally logarithmic, and two tubes which just came off of the production line together can have vastly differing grades.

This means that there are logarithmically fewer military grade night vision optics in existence compared to cheap garbage. That fact alone drives up the price.

Also, the exact same resources go into making garbage image intensifier tubes as go into making God tier ones. They don't make a profit selling the scrappy ones so they must make mire of a profit when they sell the great ones.
>>
>>29299258
Christ I hate posting from my phone. Sorry for the shitty spelling.
>>
File: 2zef2iw.jpg (77 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
2zef2iw.jpg
77 KB, 500x281
>>29299179
>Jam a video camera, something that intensifies light over9000 times and a display in a toilet paper roll.
>Your client is only happy when this thing makes every black night look like a green day.
That's why
>>
>>29299191
You are thinking MW2 night vision.
AKA a toy.
>>
>>29299306
no
it's marketed as legit night vision and mounts to rifles via picatinny
>>
File: vampir.jpg (11 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
vampir.jpg
11 KB, 300x185
>>29299320
What is?
Must be fucking cheap and easy to detect. Maybe only meant for hunting game?
At least clarify with an image.
>>
>>29299331
it's cheap and fucking stupid is what it is

It's a scope with what is essentially a digital camera attached over the rear lens with an IR flashlight on top

It's like $200 for a 500m version I think
>>
>>29299352
link? image?

You'll always get what you pay for.
>>
>>29299368
I can't find it anymore
It was on one of the big websites like brownells or midway or some shit and showed up in my email
>>
>>29299368
https://www.classicfirearms.com/nitesite-wolf-night-vision-system-922102

found it
>>
>>29299179
In the case of normal NV, its hard to amplify signals that are near the noise floor especially if it's an analog signal. Any amplification you perform also amplifies the noise in that band.

In good IR sensors its because the chip is a MEMS device where each pixel is a piezoresistive surface suspended on tiny armatures to provide thermal isolation from the rest of the device. It's not exactly a non-trivial device to fabricate.
>>
>>29299393
>900 fucking dollarydoos
the fuck. A chink IR flashlight costs all of $50 and you can hook up a camera to a scope with a mount that holds it at the eye relief. throw in a cheap BSA scope and you're at $2-250 max to make something that would look frankly LESS shitty than that... thing.
>>
>>29299404
I like how /k/ is sometimes clearly filled with retards and then every so often an actual EE drops knowledge.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.