[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1427423146449.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1427423146449.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
Freedom aint free edition
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.con
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general
>>
>>28537512
It's really hard to answer that question, because there's lots of different SOF units and there are some differences between them.

For example, if you're in a special mission unit, you don't really play by Army rules at all, and your performance evaluations are classified. Those types of units do their promotion boards in house, completely separate from normal Army promotions, and I don't know what their promotion rates are like.

More "normal" SOF units play by Army rules... for enlisted it's easy promotions up to around SFC, then pretty average above that. Officers, from what I've seen, are about the same as in other branches.

If you're actual 18 series SF, you're going to stay in SF units unless you get a really unusual job. For SF support, it's just a duty assignment for you, and the next time you PCS, it's probably going to be to a conventional unit.

For non-18s, you don't want to stay at SF units too long. Promotion boards want you to have a wide variety of assignments and units, and you need some "real Army" in there with the cool stuff, or else you won't be competitive.
TL;DR Not very different
>>
>>28538115
What opportunity/purpose does an officer interested in SOF have?
>>
does the Navy have an equivalent to CI Agent?
>>
>>28538130
SF, CA, and Psyops, and technically Ranger Regiment are all SOF. Officers can apply for the first three at 1LT. Regiment is difficult to get into as an officer and requires, frankly, luck. Then there's various flavors of support units, and then a whole bunch of "you don't really exist" special mission units.

For most of these units, officers do the same things they do in other places: plan and lead. Only really unusual types of officers break out of that purpose.
>>
What MOS should I go for if I want to be a murder detective one day?
>>
>>28538306
MP, then switch to CID.
>>
>>28538328
I thought coppers didn't want MPs
>>
>>28538377
yeah but youll be switching to CID
>>
>>28538386
So they're cool with CID but not MP's? Even though you ned to have been an MP to be CID...

Would one still need to earn his detective's badge by being a beat cop for however long?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-13-23-36-02.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-13-23-36-02.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
How does one avoid the small pox vaccine when they have eczema and are joining the Army as a 68W?
>>
I asked this on the last thread with no reply, but that was my fault since the thread was already past the bump limit.

Is it possible to get a PDQ due to ADHD overturned? To elaborate, I wasn't invited to go through MEPS, and was trying to enlist in the AF (in case that made a difference). This happened back in summer of '14 and I've read the rules have softened since then.

As a side note, I experience no negative symptoms because of it and have not in almost a decade.
>>
File: Luke.gif (17 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
Luke.gif
17 KB, 633x758
What is considered too crude a tattoo?
Ive got a tattoo of a cartoon pig puking on my upper arm, would that be a problem?
>>
I had a minor surgery a month ago, but "full recovery" takes three months, I can still do all physical activities and lift or run every day just have a slight amount of swelling.
Should I meet with a recruiter now and just tell him I cant do MEPS for another 2 months? Or just wait till Im all squared away?
I really want to get this process in motion
>>
>>28539069
just wait, two months is literally nothing
or lie

>>28539043
probably fine, see a recruiter

I believe they mostly care about racist/sexist tattoos. nude pinup girls, nazi symbolism etc

>>28539031
military brat? if yes then get a waiver, if not then lie. don't give them your insurance info
>>
how do I convince my parents that enlisting is a good option
>>
>>28539154
Enlist
Call them from basic to say youve enlisted
>>
>>28539154
Here's some advice for everyone. DON'T TELL ANYONE YOU'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY DONE IT
>>
What's PSYOPS like?
Do I have to be some kind of genius?
Social butterfly?

I get the feeling they just talk to and pay off tribal leaders more than anything
>>
File: IMG_20160113_211154.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_211154.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
I leave for Lackland in 5 days.
Man, reality is really starting to kick in. Six years of enlistment is a long time. Sure it'll pay off my little bit of student loans and give me a very solid and secure future, but 6 years, dang its a long time.
Thinking on it, 6 years ago I was in 10th grade, and I guess that felt not too long ago.
Also, didn't win the lottery. Oh well
/blog
>>
>>28539673
>Thinking on it, 6 years ago I was in 10th grade, and I guess that felt not too long ago.
breh...me too...me too
>>
>>28539100
>military brat?
Nope, nothing significant. Is there anyway to do it honestly? I didn't want to lie then and I feel like lying now would be infinitely worse.
>>
File: 1452678663534.png (194 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1452678663534.png
194 KB, 500x378
whats a good ideal jogging distance to help get in /fit/ military shape?

also
>Running in 45 degree (Celsius, you ameriniggers) in jeans and a t shirt with comfy joggers
>not the funnest thing in the world
>>
>>28539673
learn how to march NOW. Learn what cadence and face movements are right now, and perfect it so that you don't fuck up in front of a drill instructor. Bring a roll of quarters. Wear blue pants and white shirt with athletic shoes and a leather belt. Don't volunteer for anything.
>>
>>28538957
You don't get smallpox vaccine unless deploying or going to certain foreign locations.

They give you an alternate vaccine if you're allergic/etc.
>>
>>28539265
Average intelligence levels - 107 GT score

Decent socializer; though most military people in social requiring jobs are good at being military social, not real world social. So just don't be awkward.

Pass the course and pipeline. Active you have to wait 2 years of service before you can apply.

Mostly do embassy, pamphlets and speakers. If in a tactical compant they often work alongside an ODA to fill in gaps for their mission, such as working with locals.
>>
>>28540305
If you have to stop while jogging, you need to work on it. Basic really brings you up to speed but I recommend being able to max the PT test of whatever branch you're planning on beforehand.
>>
>>28540432
Alright

must note, am a former fat fuck, and my lungs are not fond of me.

got a year to get into shape for basic, so hopefully much more cardio helps me out with it.
>>
>>28538223
>rangurs arnt relly sof
XDDD
>>
>>28540446
Do cardio, calisthenics, and weightlifting. First priority is maxing PT test.

What job are you going for?
>>
do former SOF guys have a good chance of joining the FBI or CIA?
>>
Just took ASVAB with the US Navy. AFQT score: 99th percentile. Yay me, I guess.

Not actually sure what rate I want yet. I can't be a nuke because I'm too old, and I don't have perfect color vision. So I suppose maybe cryptologic of some kind. What rate should I be, /k/?
>>
>>28540872
The best thing to do with a 99 in the Navy is turn around, walk out, and go to the Air Force recruiter ;P.

If you get a 75 or higher all branches will generally drool over your smartcock. I got a 77 and the Marines wanted my dick but the air force had better shit.
>>
>>28540872
did you study or anything? or are you just some genius?

im trying to aim for 80 or higher
>>
>>28541169
type ASVAB practice into youtube, watch the hour and 45 minute video with the somewhat cute girl in it
>>
>>28541237
thanks family
>>
Stupid question: Can I bring my desktop with me to base? I can't live without vidya.
>>
File: temp.jpg (21 KB, 417x193) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
21 KB, 417x193
>>28541169
just do basic math on khan academy

t. 93 without any education beyond 4th grade
>>
>>28539673
1N3 here, this is what I tell all 1A8s and 1N3s. Basic aint shit, easy as fuck after like week 2, its just a rhythm, same shit day in and out. But DLI was hard as fuck. Dont worry about basic worry about DLI, and dont fuck around in Monterrey too much, its a nice place but you will be spending most of your time locked up in your room studying.
>>
>>28541295
To basic? No. If tech school and AF, yes.
>>
>>28541346
my recruiter is really pushing crypto linguist instead of the job i want. should i? i keep hearing how difficult the school is, and i don't want to fail and become a general airman or whatever.
>>
>>28541375
The recruiters push you towards this because generally there is a sign on bonus, and when you get this they actually get a percent of it. I know many people that say they regret doing it, and would have rather gone mechanic or something they liked. Me on the other hand, even though I hated the classes, they pay you a shit load of money to get nearly an associates degree in a language(even though it might not be the language of your choice). Plus I really liked the Monterrey area of DLI, you gotta find a hobby or something to look forward to while your there or I dont know how you can survive.
>>
>>28541375
Also I forgot to add that if you do fail out of DLI, you might get lucky and they will give you a big list of jobs and they let you choose a couple that you would prefer. I had a friend that was still able to stay in the Intel field after he failed there, but then again I have heard of people getting services or secfo after failing.
>>
>>28541386
i lived in California years ago, Monterrey is a beautiful area no doubt. i just really dont want to learn arabic. the bonus he quoted me at was $14k
>>
>>28541402
>might get lucky

not liking this. that's a lot of "ifs" for 6 years of my life
>>
>>28541404
Well depending on your DLAB scores, gives you different options in languages. Also the time you are shipped out at basic. They let you choose the languages you would prefer before getting to DLI, but that only helps so much.

That bonus seems about right too, its about what I got, except after tax and all that jazz its only around 9-10k.
>>
>>28541413
Yeah sorry, things in the AF are almost never concrete. Things change all the time, its kind of what you have to get used to.
>>
>>28538223
>SF, CA, and Psyops, and technically Ranger Regiment are all SOF
>technically Ranger Regiment are all SOF
Yeah faggot, CA and PSYOP are definitely more SOF than the 75th.

Go eat a fuckin bullet you POG piece of shit.
>>
>>28541458
why do people always get mad at this? at this point i think people say Ranger's arent SOF just to piss off autist like you senpai
>>
>>28541458
>getting mad about SOF
>calling people POG
>POG him, if he even served

never change, /meg/
>>
>>28541423
>>28541432
can one take DLAB before deciding? i think I'd be pretty good at it from everything i've read and heard about it. a language like Russian or Chinese would be cool, but the idea of listening to Arabic transmissions/ being a translater in the desert seems like 6 years of hell.

fuck it, like i said, too many ifs. I'm just going to stick to my guns, even if i wont get a bonus.
thanks for answering my questions, sir
>>
>>28541538
Yeah you take the DLAB at MEPS, tell your recruiter that you will take the DLAB but you still dont want to be a linguist, your just curious about your results. And you will never be in a desert (as a 1N3), as a linguist you get only 3 duty stations (maybe 4), Fort Gordon in Georgia, Fort Meade in Maryland, or Hawaii(only if you get Chinese), and if your real lucky with Korean you might go to Korea. And you will never be a translator per se, there are natives for that job.

Kind of funny before I took the job, i said the same thing about Arabic, I wanted any language other than sand language. And they stick me in Persian-Farsi.
>>
>>28541566
so you're working with signal analysis? i was under the impression they are attached to a unit somewhere in the shit. hmm this changes things. someone in a previous thread mentioned "if you get French, you're not going to Paris, you're going to Haiti or Africa." maybe its an Army thing
>>
>>28541586
Yeah we work with a whole bunch of people, basically all the 1NX's to provide intel. Cant really get into it. We even work with civilians, and all other branches. We are just there to listen, and read things. The mission you could be placed on is dependent what unit your sent to. Could be doing real cool shit, or you could listen to static for 8 hours a day, which isnt as fun as it sounds. And you wont ever get French, that's kind of strange.

The languages you get in the AF(that i know of) are: Modern Standard Arabic, Iraqi, Levantine Arabic, Urdu, Pashto, Persian Farsi, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish. If you want to explore the world, get deployed, etc 1N3 is the wrong job. Generally you get station at Meade or Gordon then stay there for the rest of your contract. We dont get anywhere near the enemy, not even remotely. 1A8's on the other hand, they occasionally get to.
>>
>>28541670
the job i want is 1N1X1, recruiter hears this and says "oh, you want a clearance? let's get you signed up in crypto, bro!"
sometimes i want to kill this guy.
>>
>>28541687
Just tell him no. Be firm, that's how they all are. I told mine I wanted any computers job, but he kept pushing the linguist thing.
>>
>>28540326
>Don't volunteer for anything.
Why people always advice that?
>>
>>28541847
Because that is generally a one way ticket to fuck your shit up. I'll give a couple examples:

>Volunteer as dorm chief
>10 minutes later getting lit up because the flight isnt out of the dorm in under .05 of a second

>volunteer as an element leader
>get ripped into because no one knows how to march properly

Literally anything you volunteer for can and generally will get you yelled at.
>>
Hey, /k/, visiting from /out/. I've been thinking of joining the military (USA is my country). I'm a college educated 22 year old male. I'm currently making enough money to get by, but life is unfulfilling. Make increasing amounts of money to buy nicer things until I die?

I've been thinking that with the Navy or Army I'll be able to travel and I know that I will be more disciplined of a person. I just wanted to know if you guys had any relevant experience that you would share.
>>
>2016
>joining the military
kek
>>
>>28541925
sounds like a waste of your life to join and earn $40k a year pushing papers around
>>
>>28540841
Agencies mostly draw from military desk jobs and college students.
>>
File: Nah, bitch, get fucked.png (582 KB, 410x600) Image search: [Google]
Nah, bitch, get fucked.png
582 KB, 410x600
>>28541520
Never change, fuckboy.
>>
I have an interview with an Air Force officer soon for an ROTC scholarship.
Can anyone give me any advice? What should I do/not do?
I'm generally well mannered, I'm just not keen to any military specific dos and donts besides chain of command etc.
Also, I know that I've 'never' smoked pot and it's gonna stay like that, but are they gonna believe that I've never drank? Wouldn't it be better to say I had some beer with a family member for my birthday?
>>
>>28539043
THere pretty strict on tattoos man
I had an iron cross and had to get it covered
>>
Are there any cool jobs in the airforce or navy?
I want that /comfylife/ but I dont want to have to have everybody I meet go >chairforce and wanna be able to impress qts when I get out
>>
>>28542303
>are they gonna believe that I've never drank
Nope, but you're both just gunna pretend
Dont fucking admit to anything they cannot prove, I dont know why people are so eager to confess to shit
>>
>>28542260
>11b
>calling others fuckboys

ok :^)
>>
>>28542524
>Guy has 18B in his name
>Rocking a triple canopy in his pic
Uh, are you really that dumb anon?
>>
>>28538102
I got my BUD/s contract today. I didn't realize there was a /meg/ thread up so I started my own thread. >>28541163
>>
I'm thinking about enlisting.

Are these usually good questions to ask a recruiter?
http://www.pbase.com/image/86731606

I really don't know what questions I should be asking. Also is it hard to go in as an officer if you are a college graduate?
>>
File: 1449197854774.png (714 KB, 600x714) Image search: [Google]
1449197854774.png
714 KB, 600x714
Any 25B's here?
What kind of certifications could I get that would help me get a really good job in the civ world once I get out?
>>
>Want to enlist
>Want to wait until I have a job before I meet with a recruiter so I dont have to tell them Im a 22 year old who has been NEET for almost a year
I-Im really smart guys I swear
>>
>>28540305
There is no ideal distance. You should be running for time, not for distance. Depending on how good of a runner you are you might want to start with couch to 5k, once you can do that start doing speed work (intervals). It seems counterintuitive, but run either for duration, or for speed, don't try to mix them. You can run quite slow and as long as you're not walking you will be getting aerobic benefit from the exercise. Intervals are both an anaerobic workout and practice in running faster. As you get better at running slow, you will find it easier and then you see your speed start to improve.
>>
>>28543561
CCENT
CISSP
Sec+
Net+
Linux+
Windows certs for your interest and a few Linux certs with Apache
Get those and you're golden with experience
>>
>>28541123
Is this true? I took an online practice ASVAB without ever studying and got a 78. Confident I can get a 95+ with studying.

>>28541295
to THE base or to basic? If you think you want to have your desktop at basic, the military is probably not for you. At THE base, after you finish your training? Yes, you can have whatever you want.

>>28541404
It's a nice bonus but 14k is not worth doing 4 years of something you don't know if you'll like.
>>
>>28543581
"I haven't been able to find a job and I always kind of wanted to enlist so here I am"
>>
>>28543679
Is it possible to get any programming certs through the army?
>>
>>28543711
>"If you cant get yourself a job in the cilian world, what makes you think you will last in the military kid"
>>
>>28543727
being able to find a job and being qualified for a job aren't really the same

There are plenty of people with advanced degrees who used to have good jobs that can't find one now
>>
>>28543749
The answer must be to make college free so even more kids can have degrees and not be able to find jobs!

#Sanders2016
>>
>>28543749
>There are plenty of people with advanced degrees who used to have good jobs that can't find one now
Lol womens studies isnt a good degree
SHouldda gone STEM you entitled millennial libcuck
>>
>>28543775
>>28543776
of course most of the people with advanced degrees are in shit like history but nonspecific STEM degrees like chem and bio are vulnerable too

>>28543776
When did you confuse "people" with "I"? I'm doing a double STEM major with a good job market
>>
>>28543775
No, the answer to to eliminate minimum wage and eliminate welfare so everybody can have a job
>>
>>28543775
education has inherent value, it's not just about getting a job
>>
>>28543775
>>28543870
>too much education is making our society poor
>there is a shortage of low skill workers
What a time to be alive, wew lads!
>>
>>28542836
apparently
>>
>>28543870
youre wrong read some rothbard and Mises.org
>>
>>28543870
Except in modern society where the sole purpose of getting higher education IS to get a better paying job than you otherwise would of had.

You don't spend (Your parents) hard earned money or get into deep debt based solely off educations sake, it's an investment into your future, no one fucking cares if you're really well versed into a particular obscure field, people only care when it's applicable to jobs.

It's retards like you that ruined it for the rest of us, ya know.
>>
Turning 22 in july
Would starting the enlistment process now be weird?
Would they even have an interest in signing me at my age?
>>
>>28543938
No, I had a guy who was 29 in my boot camp before.
>>
>>28543936
>no one fucking cares if you're really well versed into a particular obscure field
/lit/ literally worships me because I speak greek and latin decently, Im trying to learn Russian now, but its shit
>>
>>28543964
>/lit/
>>
>>28539100
What if I had a sleeve on my left forearm/hand?
And what about piercings? Have none but I've been wanting them. Not sure if I'm gonna join military though, so I've put it off
>>
>>28543964
>anons on an imageboard worship me for knowing useless languages

kek
>>
>>28542303
>senior year high school for ROTC interview
>interviewer asks me what my favorite drink is
>tell him
>"haha, you are not 21"
>"yes but i've been to europe twice and went to mexico last summer"
he seemed to enjoy that. in your case, dotn lie, just tell him your parents let you try some, if he pushes it.

ended up turning him down cuz they wanted me to be electrical engineer or chemical and really didnt care for that. yet here I am in similar sit as >>28541925

>>28541123
flirted with air guard for a while and got 97 asvab without really studying
got 2 pilot ratings now and set to graduate in spring. how much does the dick drooling help me get flight slot? just waltz in to recruiter and ask him where the speedy planes at?

missed my boat ditching that ROTC scholarship, but didnt realize how shit civ life is until I interned this summer.
>>
>>28542436
Alright then I'm a nice Catholic Eagle Scout who played Varsity football and ran Cross Country with a 3.7 from a private high school to them?
Just sell that shit hard or what?
>>
National Guard fag here.

I have my first non RSP drill coming up and I'm wondering what would be the best time to call them and find out when I need to get there and what uniform to wear?
>>
>>28544226
dude you're obviously an eagle scout, don't sweat it at all. they wont grill you. say no, move on
>>
>>28544125
See
>>28544226
>>
>>28543727
Look who's talking, you fat slicksleeve nasty girl.
>>
File: 1452552021245.jpg (145 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1452552021245.jpg
145 KB, 900x675
Am I just asking to be fucked over to even be slightly interested to go into the Marine Reserves to be in a somewhat computer-related MOS? Would the air force, army, or navy reserves more better suited for me?
>>
>>28543581
"My parents really pushed me to go to college, but I've always wanted to enlist."
>>
>>28543713
The army will pay for your tests, but they won't be job related for you at all. The military contracts programmers, there isn't a programmer mos.

Military pays for most tests the first time. They reimbursed my GRE.
>>
>>28541458
"more SOF"

What? SOF isn't a dick measurement, it means that you have an unconventional role in combat. Regiment can and has conducted conventional operations in the past. They can fulfill both roles, which makes them rather unique. It's not a bad or good thing.
>>
>>28544422
>technically Ranger Regiment [is] SOF
No, they are SOF. Now piss off back to POGland shitbird.

I've seen you post a lot of stupid shit on here, you should stick to your fucking lane cool guy.
>>
I've decided pilot is the military career for me.
Which branch will give me the best chance of flying a fighter? I know the answer is probably Air Force, but I really don't want the answer to be Air Force.
>>
>>28544422
>>28544573
are all SOF guys rude faggot toughguys? or just this one manlet mexican one with something to prove to a bunch of 17 year olds that will never join?
>>
>>28544643
>manlet mexican
No need to be redundant my friend.
>>
>>28544643
When some soft skill bitch starts talking a bunch of fucking nonsense about shit he knows nothing about, anyone in combat arms is going to call him out. Welcome to real life.
>>
>>28544639
>I've decided pilot is the military career for me
Get in line with the other 10k guys

But seriously Army 15W
>>
>>28544675
No thanks amigo, the cockpit is the only place for me
>>
>>28544662
What are you talking about? Do you have any data to back up the claims you are making?
My wifes son is 1/2 mexican and he is almost 6' tall at only 16 years old!
>>
>>28544689
>1/2 mexican
>anecdotal evidence
yeesh
>>
>>28544643
No, generally long tabbers are chill and rangers are cocks. In my experience.
>>
>>28544675
Is there really that much competition for pilot?
I want to be a Naval Aviator in the Marines.
I mean I assumed there was going to be competition, but I figured if I gave it my all I'd make it.
>>
>take some asvab practice quests
>either I know all the word comprehension answers or I miss 5 obscure words
>>
>>28544823
>In my experience
Which is none; you being a desk riding bitch, lol.
>>
>>28545186
did you find your dad's pics on his computer? where was he stationed? when you graduate are you going to join the army or go to college first?
>>
>>28545250
Hahaha, put your trip back on you whingy little cunt. A fuckin FAO talking shit about Rangers. Pure gold.
>>
>>28545279
Hey, you think if I prepare four years in advance I could be physically ready for RASP?
>>
>>28545389
brb let me ask my dad
>>
>>28545418
I'm not that guy, I'm genuinely interested in Rangers. I'm interested in either Rangers or pilot
>>
>>28544336
Air Force definitely has a programmer MOS. Army/Navy also have uniformed programmer billets.
>>
>>28544301
Being a Marine is all about trading tangible benefits for a title. If you give a shit about anything other than what you call yourself, it's not the best choice.
>>
>>28545527
No, it's also about pussy.

Any fuckwit Lance Corporal wearing his dress blues can pull more tail than any super-special SOF snowflake.
>>
>>28545389
are you fucking kidding me? four years?? do you weigh 600 pounds? if you're in decent shape you should be ready to go in like 6 months if you train right.
>>
>>28543683
>>28541351
THE base, I know I won't have time for shit in Basic.
>>
>>28539673
Why the fuck would you do 6 years?
>>
Define decent shape? Like, passing the APFT?
>>
File: 1444170226624.jpg (181 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1444170226624.jpg
181 KB, 750x750
>>28538102
So I want to get into AF security forces for free college.
What's a day in the life of a SF?
What do you "do"?
How often are you eligible for a pay grade increase?
Is it the maximum chair forcing it looks like on the surface, or do you do more than just stand at a checkpoint/at a gate?
What do you even do when you're deployed?
>>
>>28546730
how can i train right?
>>
>>28547247
Not SF but have some answers. For the most part, it is either watching a flight line or checking IDs, but there are occasional exercises and they'll do mock runway incursions where you'll practice apprehending people who go on the flightline without their badge.

Pay grade increase is the same for all AF:
e1 to e2 is 6 months from joining
e2 to e3 is 10 months from e2
e3 to e4 is either 3 years from joining or 20 months from e2, whatever's first if I understand it correctly
After that you test for the NCO ranks

Deployments are basically the same as stateside except you can also do convoy duty.
>>
>>28546730
I'm about to start college.
Plus I want to be super duper sure I'm not a failure when I get there.
>>28547283
this isn't me
>>
>>28541847
someone told me volunteering for laundry duty is the only thing you should volunteer for
>>
File: 1426887070106.jpg (17 KB, 480x498) Image search: [Google]
1426887070106.jpg
17 KB, 480x498
>>28547477
so what if im not you
>>
>>28547634
gotta keep my individualism on an anonymous website breh
>>
>Signed my open general AF contract today
I'm looking forward to being a cook in a few months.
>>
>>28542241
So no chances of joining shit like SAD or special teams within agencies as former SOF?
>>
So when living on base, what do you guys spend money on? I know that housing is free, food, insurance and all that, but is the pay grade still high enough to buy amenities that aren't too luxurious?
>>
>>28538102
Enlisting for 68W this March, should I go option 40?
>>
Can somebody give me a "timeline" of their enlistment process?
Like how long after you first met with the recruiter did you go to MEPS, and you picked your MOS at MEPS on the spot as soon as learning what you were able to do? After boot camp did you go right to AIT?
Im asking because I had my first meeting with an Army recruiter this week, and my friends want me to sign a lease to rent a house that would extend till September of next year
>>
>>28539673
There is literally no reason to learn anything besides reporting statements rank, airmen's creed and core values and chain of command. Chain of command will change when you are there and you will fuck up drill it just happens
>>
>>28547940
I went and talked to my recruiter for the first time on the 1st of December, and I ship for basic Feb 1st.
>>
>>28547675
Enjoy being a cookie, it's something I'd like to do too if the hours weren't so brutal.
>>
>>28543936
>I ruined it for you by getting a better education than you
smuganimegirl.jpg

>>28543964
Portuguese is a fun language if you want a more interesting one, I speak it and German at a moderate level
>>
>>28547961
Damn, I went and talked to mine in September and I ship the 17th
>>
>>28548292
>>28547961
fuck why does it take so long for officers
i just want to go i havent even been pro rec'ed and i first talked to him september
>>
>>28545418
Remember guys, if you join the military you might turn out like this guy. Some recruiter should put a stop to this, isn't there a regulation about being a cunt while associating yourself with the military?
>>
>>28548325
oh cool! did you find some more of your dad's pics from '07 to share?
>>
>>28547861
mustang or camaro
>>
>>28548292
>>28548311
I was supposed to ship out Jan. 4th but I had to wait for an exception to policy because I was colorblind.
>>
>>28546855
Yeah, at the base you can have your desktop, tv, consoles, whatever.

>>28547247
What is attractive about SecFor? I always hear that it's about the shittiest most boring job in the military. Is that just a meme?

>>28547861
If you're not retarded you can enjoy plenty of amenities and nice things since all your largest expenses are taken care of. Most people however blow their entire paychecks on food and alcohol.
>>
>>28548355
I was shitting on that guy you piece of living room furniture
>>
>>28548431
Security Forces have different jobs, not just ID check. some are k9, some are like MPs, some guard top secret aircraft, RAVENs, some are like CID or detectives

but in reality its the weapon
>>
can you cook your own food on base?
do you get your own fridge?
>>
>>28548439
show us some more of your dad's patches
>>
>>28548398
That's good. I don't drink or smoke, but I do eat a shit-ton of food. They give you three meals a day at the base though, right?
>>
Will joining the military make me homosex if I already have homosex tendencies?
>>
>>28548582
Join the Navy.
>>
I've heard NROTC marine option is the most selective of the bunch.
What should I do during my next two years of college to give myself a better chance to get a commision with marine option?
>>
>>28547893
>Enlisting for 68W this March, should I go option 40?

If you get one, sure. Why not?

If you make it, great. You get to go to SOCM. If not, then you still stand a better chance than not of being assigned to an infantry unit because you had to go through Jump School to get to RASP.
>>
File: 1449376965616-0.jpg (145 KB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
1449376965616-0.jpg
145 KB, 659x609
Just put in my applications for my shore duty billets. I've got six months left on my submarine.
Any other submariners here?
Anyone else, ask me anything.
>>
>>28548481
seriously what''s the food situation? I just read some stuff about how it's better to get a food allowance than get the meal plan at DFAC but there's no appliances allowed on base. and if you do go on the meal plan you get like 1 choice of meat
>>
File: UM.jpg (189 KB, 779x722) Image search: [Google]
UM.jpg
189 KB, 779x722
>>28538102

>enlisting right before WW3 goes into full swing
>ISHYGDDT

Let the IDF die for Israel, stay home and protect your friend, family and countrymen.
>>
>>28548866
What job?
If I don't go marines I'm thinking about going nuke and doing the STA-21 program and becoming nuclear officer
>>
>>28548869
Yeah, getting $350/mo extra untaxed money to buy food is better than being able to go eat at the dining facility three times a day during specified hours. Buying and cooking your own food gives you more financial, nutritional, and time control.

The catch? You usually don't get to choose. If you're single and low ranking, you aren't getting food money (BAS).
>>
>>28548883
If WW3 kicks off then the draft is coming back anyways. Only difference is I'll be an NCO in a cushy desk job and you'll be a cannon fodder conscript.
>>
>>28548926
What about officers?
Also, I have a question about Naval Aviators (Marines or Navy).
What do they do when not on deployment?
>>
>>28548940
D R A F T H Y P E
>>
>>28548866
How gay does it get?
>>
>>28548887
I'm a radioman.
Good luck with that plan. Unless you're shit hot and your uncle is an admiral or something, you probably won't get a sta21 package approved.
>>
>>28538102
Going to meps on the 22nd to sign for 35G
>>
>>28549019
Well I mean I plan on having a degree in nuclear engineering by the time that happens. I guess I could just commission first and then see about going nuke.
>>
>>28548869
Seriously the dining facilities aren't that bad. I eat there often, even though it costs me money to eat there.

I think it's just a status thing. I've had junior enlisted say shit like 'only poor people in the DFAC' and 'only poor people live on base.'

Privates will pay shitloads of money to have a filthy ghetto apartment off post that they share with 20 other privates, even though they still have to maintain their barracks room on post.

>>28548941
Officers automatically get BAS and are ineligible for meal cards (except during training). You can eat in the DFAC for ridiculously cheap. I think it's $2.50 for breakfast, $4 for lunch and $5 for dinner.
>>
>>28548883
>retards still think WW3 is imminent
the world is literally safer than it has ever been in history and continues to get safer
>>
>>28548961
As gay as you let it get. If you think it's funny to grab other dudes dicks and stuff, then feel free. If you're not comfortable with it, people tend to leave you out of it.
>>
>>28549049
If you've got a degree in any kind of STEM field, you're a shoe in for nuke officer. Just keep in mind, submarine officer is not a job for the feint of heart.
>>
>>28549148
Well I'm a virgin with nothing to really live for but myself, my education, and my country, so sub sounds like a good life for me.
>>
>>28549032
congrats see you there
>>
>>28549111
srs? fucking noice
what about on boats and shit do they gotta pay there
>>28549049
how awful was nuke school and life on the sub? i was a stem major and found my classes easy and sometimes wonder if i couldve gone there, nuclear shit sounds interesting too
>>
>>28549185
I know nothing about the Navy, but I assume that everyone is on some kind of meal card system. It's not like you're ordering Papa John's.
>>
>>28549245
I just looked it up, why does BAS provide more to enlisted than to officers?
>>
>>28549174
Which station?
>>
>>28549283
charlotte
>>
>>28549310
Im on the other side of the country. Sorry m8.
>>
>>28549380
see you in the desert
>>
File: 1424622889062.jpg (5 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
1424622889062.jpg
5 KB, 250x248
>>28549274
>why does BAS provide more to enlisted than to officers?
>>
>>28549414
Cant wait
>>
>>28549472
Well sorry dude I mean it just seems like the military has more invested in officers than enlisted, I figured the officers would get the better benefits
>>
>>28549507
>this fucking guy
>>
>>28549483
let's get a beer, first round on me
>>
>>28549507
Well you see... officers get paid more. So they pay out of their own pocket and eat really well.
Us enlisted pukes get paid less, and if we don't get a little extra money for food, we'll die.
>>
>>28549539
I dig it.
Although I wont be shipping to basic until may 30th
>>
File: 1425694216454.png (217 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1425694216454.png
217 KB, 680x680
>>28549549
>>28549549
>they pay out of their own pocket
>>
>>28549561
Dude your /r9k/ pictures aren't really helping me understand your point of view here
>>
>>28549561
They can. And they can afford to.
>>
>>28549551
i don't know when i'm going yet. I'm trying to decide a codeword to find /k/ommandos.
>call everyone opr8r
>or anon
>nobody gets it
>psych eval
>kicked out
>back to shitposting on /meg/
>>
>>28549621
>7.62x54R
>Uhhh, what?
>fuck off normie
>>
>>28549561
>2lt gets paid as much as a tech
Are you mad that they pay out of pocket or...
>>
>>28549621
Im sure you'll know one whem you see one...
>>
>>28549647
>thank you 4 ur cervix
>implying
>go back to reddit
>he dindu nuffin
>muh salt ryefulls
>>
>>28549621
I don't even remember how I found out but there was like 4 people in my BMT flight who went on 4chan. I remember we did say he dindu nuffin a bit
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 960x639
>want to be political commentator
>talk about foreign affairs and US foreign policy
Is it a good idea to go Army right after college and try to go SF for dat real world experience? Or should I just not bother joining? I don't even know what to do yet.

>really wanna be operator
>but really want to be able to talk about the things I saw/know when debating foreign policy
>>
Thinking about joining up to be a 68W, can anybody here give me some advice?
>>
File: 1431448688298.jpg (93 KB, 850x506) Image search: [Google]
1431448688298.jpg
93 KB, 850x506
>>28549580
>>28549580
>/r9k/ pictures
>>
So should I go chairforce as cyberwarfare or drone faggotry?

Translation:
>I have lots of experience with cyber security
>Im afraid it will be boring as shit from a mil standpoint
>>
>>28549755
What the fuck do you want me to say? I don't speak autist
>>
>>28549758
Chair force maintainer here. As a drone system operator you will be sitting in a shitty container all shift being an officer's bitch and doing what he tells you and you will probably have to wait a while to ship. Cyber security might be interesting. Juts pass the TS and you're good. Imho you should shoot for special mission aviation or boom operator and just cross train at your three year mark. Do something cool while you're in while it might not be useful in the civilian world.
>>
>>28549786
>Maintainer
My man, what job and airframe?
>>
>>28549758
Unless you are going for officer then you'll pull the trigger on an MQ9 or some shit And tell an enslited what to do while flying a drone in a shitty container.
>>
>>28549809
IFCS on the J models, you?
>>
>>28549820
Hydraulics on the 17, I also help E&E since we hardly have work
>>
>>28549786
>>28549810
so enlisted fly the thing for 12 hours until its time to fuck shit up, then they have to hand it over to the fucking officer when the good part happens? that fucking sucks
>>
>>28549829
Nice, my shop is pretty useless because our aircraft are relatively newer nothing really breks. Plus nothing flys out on mids really. Sometimes we just end up helping out the crew cheifs with inspections.
>>
>>28549786
>>28549810
>As a drone system operator you will be sitting in a shitty container all shift being an officer's bitch and doing what he tells you and you will probably have to wait a while to ship
I dont mind sitting in a chair staring at a screen all damn day.
>Boom operator
Ive got terrible hand eye coordination I can hardly line up my shoes let alone a refueling boom.
>Special mission aviation
So basically door gun repair guy?
>Do something cool while you're in while it might not be useful in the civilian world.
This strikes me as terrible career advice
>>
>>28549880
Not really, the pilot flys it and the enlisted just controls the sensors like the camera and shit. Pilot flys and pulls trigger. Seriously though, think about going 1A0X1 or 1A9X1 and do something cool for a while.
>>
>>28549882
Same here, hydro on the C-17 is really solid so I'm usually sitting around and helping other shops. I fear the day I PCS and get put on a C-5 or something
>>
>>28549883
But it's not because there's something called cross training where you can change your AFSC to a useful task that can help you out in the civilian world. It's just what me and some others in my squadron wish we did.
>>
>>28549905
do the officers really cry like babies because they have to fly drones instead of jets? i saw that ethan hawke movie
>>
Wow, I might actually end up going Air Force if the super hornets are being replaced by F-35s
>>
>>28549922
Lol Fuck that. I'm pretty much stuck on 130s thank god. A few of my buddies are at Dover on the C5s, I heard those things break all the Fucking time.
>>
>>28549945
jesus christ, mention f35 to an air force recruiter and strap in.
>FUCKING BAD ASS BRO. BAD. ASS. F35. BRO.
>>
>>28549754
>Thinking about joining up to be a 68W, can anybody here give me some advice?

Couple things:

Are you willing to be a Health Care Specialist in, say, a hospital setting? That's where the bulk of 68W jobs are.
68W's get sent everywhere and there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets sent to infantry units.

Also, let's say you're in unit that was just in combat. Combat is done. A wounded enemy is lying on the ground in front of you. He's disarmed. It's within your ability to patch him up and get him stabilized. Do you do so? if you say "yes" without hesitation, then you have the correct mindset for a 68W. If you say "no", no one can blame you, but you should not be a 68W.
>>
>>28549947
>mfw I'm stationed at Dover
Yeah my buddies in C-5 hydro hate how easy I have it and that I had time to do CDCs at work instead of on my days off
>>
>>28549933
I don't know any drone pilots but they aren't a fan of reenlisting once their contract is up. I think the AF is actually going to start, or maybe we did alrady but taking pilots from 16s and shit and putting them on a "tour" as drone pilots
>>
>>28549967
I've heard so many bad things about it, are the memes true?
Or is it a good plane?
I don't want to be flying a plane I have no faith in.
(and yes, I know there's a pretty low chance I'll become a fighter pilot)
>>
>>28549990
Haha man same here, I had all day to do that shit and blew through them. do you know a tech named gilsen? He's a reservist but he's a full time. So usually he's in civies.
>>
would occasional drinking during/before classes junior year of HS 1 year ago rule out a TS/SCI
>>
>>28550038
Haven't met him, most of the reservists I've worked with were prior MSgts
>>
>>28550015
no shit, this is what my recruiter said (keep in mind he worked on planes for six years before recruiter)
>dude, have you heard of the f35?
>yeah, that new jet, right?
>dude, bro, dude..talk about BAD ASS. these thing, you know, the motors, they PIVOT! shit! i mean.. uhh, what are they called? uhhh..engines..THRUSTERS!
>oh yeah? cool man.
>yeah bro, BAD ASS RIGHT?

his erection was visible through his desk

>>28550003
so just like the movie.

>dammit sir, i want to be in a PLANE again
>>
>>28550055
No
>>
>Couple things:
>Are you willing to be a Health Care Specialist in, say, a hospital setting? That's where the bulk of 68W jobs are.
>68W's get sent everywhere and there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets sent to infantry units.
>Also, let's say you're in unit that was just in combat. Combat is done. A wounded enemy is lying on the ground in front of you. He's disarmed. It's within your ability to patch him up and get him stabilized. Do you do so? if you say "yes" without hesitation, then you have the correct mindset for a 68W. If you say "no", no one can blame you, but you should not be a 68W.

We'll obviously you patch him up, he may have vital info you can use to kill more Hajis.

And just get an op 40 of you want to be in a combat unit
>>
How much could I make as a programmer in the military? What kind of MOS would I look out for in the Navy or Air Force if I wanted to do something like that?
>>
>>28549905
Ayyy

If you wanna know about the best job in the air force, ask me
>>
>>28550999
Also check those digits
>>
>>28550465
>And just get an op 40 of you want to be in a combat unit

That just gets you a tryout. If you are part of the vast majority of guys who fail RASP, you don't automatically go to a combat unit. You go to wherever the Army needs a 68W.
>>
>>28551028
you shoot out of that a130 senpaitachi?
>>
>tfw can't sleep
>Having another shift where you'll work without 36 hours sleep
I wish we could take sick days or some type of short notice day off
>>
Drunk airborne infantry willing to answer questions.
>>
According to my Army friend, they claim to do urinalysis randomly but he's only ever seen the shitheads of a division get tested and he's never had to piss. Can anybody confirm this? I don't plan on blazing it every week or even every month, but it would be nice to have a toke during a holiday on leave every now and then.
>>
>>28551724
u wan sum fuk?
>>
>>28551819
I'm AIRBORNE not some dirty nasty leg in Korea you savage!
>>
>>28551811
Yeah dude it's totally safe, don't worry about it as long as you're not a cunt.

Blaze it
>>
Does anyone know the best branch/MOS/rating to explore the world? I was primarily thinking hospital corpsman as the route I'd love to go, but scored 96 on the ASVAB and am being pushed heavily towards nuke or cryptolinguist.

Also how common is it for recruiters to go to you in other to fill out paperwork for MEPS? My recruiters drove 20 minutes to my apartment at 6:30 to get me to finish paperwork since my schedule during the day makes it hard to go to the recruiting office. It gave me the impression they really want me to join up. Especially as a nuke which they made themselves very clear about.
>>
>>28551962
Loadmasters in the AF. Shitty job though.

Navy and Marines if you do their expedition shit.
>>
>>28551811
how hard is it to not smoke weed while enlisted? you fucking stonees man i swear

personally i wouldnt risk it
>>
>>28552047
Why is Loadmaster a shitty job? Looking around it seems to be one of the few jobs that is generally considered good.
>>
>>28547477
just max out your apft score. don't worry about rucking, you'll get training in basic but try going backpacking if at all possible. there are exercises to help prepare you for the rucking- the /fit/ guy around here normally has knowledge about this (i'm pretty sure it's weighted lunges and deadlifts primarily). essentially if you're running every other day (at least two miles, try running like 10 miles once a month) and doing pushups/situps every other day you'll be fucking gravy. Maybe get a jump start on land navigation and shit but even that is questionable. The rangers aren't terribly elite- so long as you're fit and have the mindset that pain is temporary you should be able to make it.
>>
>>28551811
jesus christ just don't smoke weed. if it's really that hard for you then don't enlist
>>
>>28547940
>august 2015 talked to recruiter for the first time
>september I went to meps
>got my job a week after meps because I was the last person to get done at meps and they closed before I could get a contract
>Leaving for basic tuesday
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 428x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 428x600
>>28538102
I'm 20 years old with a high school diploma, and I got a 86 on the ASVAB.

how do I become one of those guys that gets to jump out of a plane with a dog while shooting at ragheads?

I don't want to be an MP
>>
>>28552332
Thanks for the advice, guy who's never been in the military, let alone special operations!
>>
>>28552912
Dog guys are MPs with dogs
>>
>>28551724
What's it like man?
Everyone on here will hiss and spit at the thought of being just regular infantry (you'll drink yourself to death, hang yourself etc etc)
Why don't you just give your own input into what your life is like?

Is infantry really that miserable? Is airborne really for ranger/11x dropouts?
>>
>>28552058
>>28552341
Again, holidays only. Holidays on leave. I haven't enlisted yet and am currently a month and a half pot-free. I don't have a crippling addiction. It was just a question.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.