[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is EOTECH worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 215366.jpg (64 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
215366.jpg
64 KB, 880x660
I'm looking at some of EoTech's holographic optics and I have also been reading a lot of conflicting arguments in that the optics will not hold zero in "extreme" weather conditions. Is this a problem Eotech has since fixed? If so anyone does anyone recommend them? Thanks
>>
>conflicting arguments in that the optics will not hold zero in "extreme" weather conditions
Given that they knew about this problem and are facing litigation from the DOD and are buying their sights back from people who bought them, I doubt there will be any fixing of the sights

Pick one up second hand for cheap because they aren't "operator" any more.
>>
no get an Aimpoint PRO
>>
>>30668387
Get one of these instead...etched reticle so will work in daytime without batteries and won't look like a starburst if you have astigmatism

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spitfire_ar_prism_scope
>>
>>30668387
Yeah.. That's crazy shit
>>30668417
This is my second or third option
>>30668440
This is really nice actually, going to do some more research on this on.

So no on Eotech?
>>
>>30668482The vortex also uses common AAA for power. It's new on the market so I'm gonna wait for a bit before I pick one up to see how it shakes out but I'm keeping my eye on it.
>>
>>30668387
>Is this a problem Eotech has since fixed
Not to my knowledge no. The zero drift is real, but it has to undergo pretty serious changes in temperature to be an issue.

>does anyone recommend them?
I have one and I would recommend it if you live in an area without extreme temperature shifts (I'm in Florida so the only weather here is "hot and humid" and "hotter and still humid").They aren't always on like Aimpoints but the reticle and glass are fucking nice.
If you like the circle dot reticle go for it.
>>
>>30668540
> but it has to undergo pretty serious changes in temperature to be an issue.
It shifted if you so much as brought your rifle that made an hour-long trip in your room-temperature car out into the freezing range.
>>
>>30668387
>Is Eotech worth it?

Well, let's look at some common reasons people get Eotechs:

>It has a wider field of view!

Absolutely irrelevant if you are using it as a close quarters optic, since you should be keeping both eyes open anyway. Using a magnifier sucks, so if you wanted that you should just get a dedicated magnified or variable optic.

>The red ring of death!

Stupid gimmick for stupid people. The last thing you want is clutter in a reticle that you're brain is trying to figure out in 0.0000001 of a second. The simple dot of other CCOs isn't sexy, but it is effective.

>B-b-b-ut SOCOM uses them!

Operators in the field don't have total freedom in what is issued, and even they have to deal with the ramifications of contract choices made by bean counters and procurement guys way above them. The mystique of "It's SPECIAL FORCES APPROVED!" has been a bit broken by the recent Eotech SOCOM lawsuit, which is a good thing, since maybe people will start thinking for themselves.

In conclusion, Eotech is inferior to competators and has stuck around because of people who want to blindly emulate operator photos and because Eotechs look unique which is a draw for special snowflakes.
>>
I thought the report said the only real drift occurred when moving from freezing temperatures to around 100 degrees. Unless you are operating in a freezer I thing you should be fine.
>>
>>30668540
I live in Southern CA and the weather is consistent Hot & Dry.. But in the trunk of my car (which happens to be a hatchback) the temperature wouldn't exceed 100 F.

>>30668609
Great post, ty Anon!

>>30668612
Not sure entirely
>>
>>30668387

I've had two eotechs, and I've had them for years on my AR's. I use the 512, because the idea of AA batteries appealed to me about 10 years ago when I got them.

I have no complaints, and they have not failed me, but I'm just a hobbyist who shoots recreationally.

I also have a few Aimpoints and a vortex, and have liked those as well. All things being equal, I think $400 for an Aimpoint PRO is a really good balance of price and quality.
>>
>>30668609
>last thing you want is clutter in a reticle that you're brain is trying to figure out in 0.0000001 of a second
Have to disagree on that. The reticle is a giant "you will hit within this chest sized area" circle with a "and fuck this part in particular" dot. It is better than an aimpoint single dot for discerning amongst a cluttered picture (treelines, cluttered shifts in background or someone wearing camo amongst line breaking silhouettes).

Eotech sights aren't as cluttered as people say unless they have astigmatism; it is a huge red Point Here Retard reticle. And if you are shooting two eyes open the "clutter" is actually less of an issue.
The rest of this post is a fair criticism though.
>>
>>30668387
The 4 main errors experienced with eotechs just shows how shit they are as an optics manufacturer.

No 'rugged tactical optic' should have moisture problems, noticeable parallax on low magnification and magically shoot 2" to the left when it's 20F.
>>
>>30668609

FWIW, had a Buddy, Recon Marine, liked Aimpoints.

One depolyment, they switched to Eotech, and he was unhappy.

After deployment, he decided that he like eotech, and that the ring mad leading targets easier.

Just some 2nd bullshit from a guy who knows a guy who shot at people in Afghanistan.
>>
does anyone know of someone that makes holo sights that are not shit like Eotechs. I like the large dot but I had one that drifted and fuck them.
>>
>>30668552
I've done this multiple times over the years, during both very hot summers and very cold winters. My EOTech 512 has never moved a cunthair from zero. I don't dispute that there's a real issue out there, I've just never experienced it over years of real-world use with my sight.
>>
>>30669428
Meopro has a new holographic sight but I haven't heard much past a SGN review and a British MOD contract.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/07/08/meprolight-tru-dot-rds-battery-powered-reflex-sight/
>>
>>30669690
>British MOD contract

Link?
We were still buying eotechs up until very recently
>>
>>30670414
Durr I'm in an idiot and got the meo confused with this
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/12/shield-cqs-red-dot-review/
>>
Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated. So far I am now looking away from Eotech and mainly looking at the Vortex Spitfire 3x prism or the PRO
>>
File: Trijicon-Thermal-Drift.png (210 KB, 697x977) Image search: [Google]
Trijicon-Thermal-Drift.png
210 KB, 697x977
Daily reminder thermal drift is a thing on all optics and that the limited publicly available data on Aimpoints suggests it too.

Second daily reminder that EOTech is being sued over not disclosing it and not actually about the fact that it does drift or not, which is why many Tier 1 units are still seen with them.
>>
>>30671323
>Average of 1.1 MOA drift due to 100 degree differences
>Meanwhile in Eotech Land, 8 MOA drift due to 70 degree difference
Lel
>>
I tried both and I got an aimpoint for the battery life. They are a little bit more durable too. Plus I always like a single point rather then a cross hair.
>>
File: 1390014205227.jpg (25 KB, 314x300) Image search: [Google]
1390014205227.jpg
25 KB, 314x300
>>30671491
>Thermal Drift
>EOTech’s sights experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is exposed to a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. After zeroing the sight at or near ambient temperature (73°F), the zero position will shift during operating temperature changes. The sight has the potential to shift approximately +/- 5 Minutes of Angle (“MOA”) at -40°F and 122°F. Due to thermal drift, the sight may not return to zero. The sights have the potential of approximately a +/- 2 MOA zero shift upon return to ambient (73°F) after being exposed to any temperature between -40°F and 122°F.
>>
File: SEK Stuttgart.jpg (181 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
SEK Stuttgart.jpg
181 KB, 1280x854
I'm cross eye dom but I'm trying to learn how to shoot righty so it isn't a big issue. But I do like the eotech field of view and it seems it would allow me to shoot proper(wrong) handed because I could see the dot easier than I think an Aimpoint single dot, wouldn't the eotech be better for someone in that situation?being lefty is a motherfucker
>>
>>30672074
Yes, wider fields of view will help mitigate shitty cheek weld but it will also induce more parallax, not that aimpoints have much fidelity against parallax.
>>
No on EOTech. Besides the thermal drift, you also have shit battery life and a frail but bulky optic.

Aimpoint is king for no magnification. Meprolight it supposedly good, but I've never handled one. Trijicon is good, but they are more the low power magnification solution I think.

There is no reason to pay the asking price on an EOTech. They should be $250 at MOST considering they can't hold up. The manufacturer should start using cheaper glass and rebrand themselves as a budget brand.
>>
>>30672187
>not that aimpoints have much fidelity against parallax
so really aside from the some don't hold zero and them being hush hush, is it good for someone in my situation who doesn't want to have to fully commit to learning to shoot righty?I can keep trying to learn but desu it fucking sucks
>>
>>30672538
You should suck it up buttercup and learn. Also get the EOTech and show up those aimpoint shills that you have absolutely no issues with your unit.
>>
>>30672594
>You should suck it up buttercup and learn
I am. Its just shitty and an ego check when you're trying to learn and shooting like shit. But practice makes perfect I guess.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.