[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you'll never operate an F-22 https://www.youtube.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1026822146[1].jpg (333 KB, 2200x1388) Image search: [Google]
1026822146[1].jpg
333 KB, 2200x1388
>you'll never operate an F-22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--kY5ju5pQ#t=3.564582

just came to this realization and it hurts. How do other airforce bros come to terms with this?
>>
>>30639926
>How do other airforce bros come to terms with this

Simple, I have to fix the damn thing. So I hate it and want nothing to do with the raptor.
>>
>>30639966
isn't it some insane amount of flying/maintenance ratio?
>>
>>30639966

t. i dont actually fly airplanes
>>
>>30639987

Every jet is like that. But not every jet requires you to essentially cut and repair a hole in the skin every time you need to access something inside. Being LO is the worst suffering imaginable.
>>
>>30639926
They seem seem like they would be especially exciting to fly out of combat.

I'm just hoping to get into an F-16 on the nearby air-guard unit.
>>
>>30639926

Well, you'll never fly an F-35 either. Though nobody else ever will either, so don't be that torn up over it.
>>
>>30640165
>As many F-35s as F-22s
>>
>ywn fly an F-22
>ywn fly an SR-71

these are my two foremost anguishes in life
>>
>>30639926
I think flying an f-35 would be more fucking awesome.

>flip a switch
>now flying a glass ball, can look though your transparent dick and legs

Awesome.
>>
File: 1456218566132.jpg (39 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1456218566132.jpg
39 KB, 500x738
>>30640033
>MFW i have to build the fucking afterburners for the F22 every damn week.
f22 tooling is a pile of shit,
everything about it is horrible
>>
>>30641172
I have a VR headset, it's a strange feeling to look down and not see yourself. Not sure if I'd like that while actually hurtling through the air ten thousand feet up.
>>
>>30641826
Almost all f35 pilots dislike the 360 helmet thing.
They literally just want to look over their shoulder .

I have a feeling some fat old white dude thought some nerds 360 idea was cool without asking actual ppl who use the jets.
>>
>>30641854
I'm sure they will get used to it.

How many F-35 pilots are on the first combat aircraft, and have nothing to compare to, or habits to break?

One day, pilots will go from school, to trainer, to F-35, and have very little to "unlearn". Till then, of course there will be old habits and resistance.
>>
>>30641854
>Almost all f35 pilots dislike the 360 helmet thing.

source?
>>
>>30642111
I'd very roughly guestimate 1/4 to 1/2? Could be more, but most F-35 pilots I've seen interviewed, etc are Majors or higher, working to become F-35 instructors and commanders of F-35 units.

>>30641854
>>30642279
He's thinking of an interview with Maj. John Wilson: https://theaviationist.com/2015/07/13/f-35-pilot-about-flight-helmet/

>“It’s cool, but I don’t use it that often”
>“If I really wanna see what’s underneath me, I’ll just look outside, I just roll up….because it doesn’t take much longer for me to just bank the airplane.”
>According to the F-35 pilot, he would just “look” as he would see in much higher clarity with his own eyes. Pilots consider it an “added benefit” and use it sometimes for night flying but that seems to be the only time when the costly HMDS is used (at least by Wilson and his 61th FS colleagues).
>Still, Wilson admits he’s an old school pilot, so there may be pilots who use it more often.

Like a lot of things, it's a bit of a strawman argument; like the Major points out in the video, the DAS wasn't originally meant to provide 'X-ray vision', it's primary purpose is to serve as an upgraded version of the F-22's AN/AAR-56 Missile Launch Detector, by adding in the ability to detect and track aircraft and surface threats as well. Then at some point it was decided to give the pilot the ability to view that footage on his visor.

But because it's designed to detect faint heat signatures and is meant to primarily be viewed by a computer, rather than a human, it's using a somewhat lower resolution sensor that has greater sensitivity. Think of a $2000 DSLR that can only shoot 30fps 1080p video compared to a $400 GoPro that shoots 30fps 4K video. As such, the DAS can track a ballistic missile from >1200km away, but it's inferior for use as an NVG replacement compared to the one that sits in the pilot's helmet.

1/2
>>
>>30642459
2/2

That said, there's some cases where you can't just roll up to look at the ground, etc; if you're flying through IADS (like a USMC F-35B performing CAS in a high threat environment), rolling up to see the ground is going to make you light up on radar. DAS lets you get situational awareness without exposing yourself. And once you spot something of interest on DAS, you can use the EOTS to get a picture that no human eye can compete with.

There's a Lockheed test pilot ("Hemo") in a meet and greet video that describes how it 'clicked' for him when he was doing an angle of attack test where he had to keep the nose at a certain angle, whilst maintaining altitude and heading; during the test, a civilian jet was flying on a bearing that took it towards him (it was meant to pass under him though); rather than abort the test to make sure there was enough distance between them, he was able to use the DAS to look through his feet and confirm that there was enough of a distance.
>>
>>30639926
I'd rather fly an F-15 desu senpai
>>
>>30639926
>you'll never operate an f22
>you'll never have the plane you're flying try to suffocate you
>>
>>30643048
Shit dude, how are you posting on 4chan from years ago?
>>
>>30643048
>>30643172
I think we have a time traveler here. Go back to your past looser.

also

>tfw you know your jet cares enough about you to help with auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.