[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please tell me what is going on in Turkey. Every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: 1468543884626.jpg (105 KB, 781x960) Image search: [Google]
1468543884626.jpg
105 KB, 781x960
Can someone please tell me what is going on in Turkey.

Every place I look for news is just memes.

I hear F-16s are fighting F-16s.

I hear that the Navy is shelling pro-Erdogan forces, the police are fighting the army and the army are fighting the special forces.

I hear that helicopters are having dogfights and pro-erdogan jets are taking off and going AWOL to bomb parliament on their own accord.

This is like The Turner Diaries or some shit.
>>
WW3 within the next year.

>Russia is behind the coup

>NATO will be called upon

>Ruskies will call blasphemy

>Shillary will give it full steam ahead

>Putin responds

>Thus WW3 is born in the ME
>>
File: russia-or-vietnam.jpg (78 KB, 681x549) Image search: [Google]
russia-or-vietnam.jpg
78 KB, 681x549
>>30638967
IT AIN'T ME
>>
File: 1448430067987.gif (973 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1448430067987.gif
973 KB, 400x300
>>30638884
>the police are fighting the army and the army are fighting the special forces.

This pleases me.
>>
>>30641312
I know they were the ones fighting in nam and i'm the one shitposting, but wouldn't you rather have a cut down thumper and a m14 with a stock?
>>
>>30641438
mission dependent. ide rather have a cut down m60 or rpd if were taking nam shit.
>>
I have no idea whats going on either. The American news networks seem to be very pro-Erdogan
>>
Military commanders taken hostage behind coup- BBC
>>
>>30641472
Fucking why? From what I understand he's abused his power and silenced dissenters.
>>
>>30641472
just like fucking Hillary
>>
>>30641472

Eh? The one I heard the news from called him anything but a dirty terrorist erroding "muh secularism".
>>
>>30641484
Pro-Erdogan General Hulusi Akar has been rescued from captivity. Others are uncertain at present time according to The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara
>>
>>30638884
Islam is happening.
>>
>>30641491
>>30641493
>>30641569

Yes, because as we all know, toppling quasi-dictators always leads to increased liberalization.

Thank God it failed.
>>
>>30641778
What's the solution then faggot? lube up and accept the dicking? Besides, this is a revolution; not a foreign invasion under the guise of liberalization.
>>
>>30641778
in turkey, yes. it's happened 4+ times you ignorant faggot.
>>
>>30641927

Coup =/= revolution. It's not clear whether the coup has the support of the majority, but much of the population is clearly against it.
>>
There was a coup attempt by a portion of the military against Erdogan.
It failed, and they are either fleeing Turkey or being mopped up.
>>
From what I can gather Erdogan is a shit and has been slowly eroding freedom of speech and any dissenters.
It is the job of the army to stop any president if he is going too far towards being a dick-tator. They have done it several times in the past and done it well, handing back power soon after they have had another election
The problem is Erdogan has replaced the top generals with sympathetic ones. So this coup came from a lower rank general with only a small part of the army and failed. So Erdogan tightens his grip on power, the cock muncher.
>>
I have on a good authority that the coup was a last-ditch attempt of Kemalists in the Army to prevent total islamisation of the high command.

It was a desperate move with low chance of succeeding from the get go.
>>
I'd rather a ruthless dictator than a rag tag coalition of rebels groups like Libya.

Goddam we should have left Saddam in charge, I would say he would have crushed ISIS in days but if we had left him in charge ISIS would never had existed.
>>
>>30642054
>dick-tator

Its hard to believe how old i am sometimes, considering i still smirk at shit like this
>>
so is there still fighting going on
>>
No.
>>
Why would they stage a coup at a moment where they couldn't apprehend Erdogan? How did everything happen so fucking fast? Why has there been so little fighting for a coup of this scale? Things aren't adding up.

What if Erdogan staged a failed coup against himself just so he could purge his own military?
>>
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 1000x806) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 1000x806
>>30642123

There are pockets of officers still saber rattling or hold up in mostly defunct or ineffective defensive positions, there is a frigate that may or may not hold the admiral of the navy that is returning to port (rumored). The coup is over and Erdowan is about to consolidate power in a massively alarming way.

The military is about to get crushed into the executive branch, just like the judiciary got gimped into the executive branch, and then the president will pass more emergency measures garunteed get more executive authority.
>>
>>30642158
>What if Erdogan staged a failed coup against himself just so he could purge his own military?
entirely possible

it's also entirely possible that the coup leaked and they had to try it now or wake up arrested and hanged from bridges after show trials

in a just world western powers would be supporting a secular modernized turkey to take up the banner of "not dogshit arab nation" Iran held before the 80's collapse into religious dictatorship. But a tinpot dictator saber rattling against the west while economically ravaging his country for short term gain is good for international economies.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 960x1280
>>30642158

These are good tom Clancy questions, but in more cases of military mistakes (global mistakes in general) it's easy to explain them if you start with the understanding that small mistakes at an early stage magnify to enormous fuck-ups at the organizational level.

Firstly, it's strongly believed at this time that the leading officers of the Coup got busted before they could formally organize more of the operation. The special forces and intelligence commanders were not part of the coup and it's not clear if that's because they were loyalists or because they simply hadn't been invited in yet. As a result those two groups defaulted to responding to who was still formally in power (the president). The troops who were holding checkpoints were pretty much stranded and without support or additional orders so they surrendered en masse to the police, who then turned the soldiers over to the mob.

Because the military is supposed to be seperate from the rest of the government in order to ensure the government remains secular, coups are actually designed into the system. However, Erdowan has been consolidating power which also included a heavy purging of officers who still believed the old ways of coups every 15-20 years. So the majority of organizing officers were lower ranked with very few influential officers in viable places.

So the coup got busted before it could be completely prepared, erdogwan likely saw it coming 24-48 hours before it happened and made sure his location was never known, and "grass roots" civilians wre organized in a massive way. At 0130 in the morning Ankara time there was a call to prayer that encouraged pro-"democracy" civilians to take to the streets and challenge the military checkpoints. They did.

About 100+ legit civilians were shot and killed by formal troops. This is what motivated police and gendarm to throw down and step in. This is also why the backlash against the soldiers was so fierce.
>>
>>30642205
So TL;DR: Fagdogan deployed Operation Human Shield and got civvies killed. Surviving civvies raged out on surrendered soldiers.
>>
>>30642087
This is true, we gambled and destroyed a somewhat functional dictator ship for Natural resources and a better position in the middle east
>>
File: 8th STRONGEST ARMY.jpg (227 KB, 800x1199) Image search: [Google]
8th STRONGEST ARMY.jpg
227 KB, 800x1199
THEY FUCKING SURRENDERED
>>
>>30642774
That is one part of it. Accurate summation.
>>
>>30643877
They surrendered while surrounded by turks.
What did they think would happen?
>>
>>30638967
You forgot to mention ayylmaos and ayyliuns fighting over the galactic trade of these famous turkish cakes called "TOPKEK".
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.