[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
realistically, how long could this last?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1468519141118.png (336 KB, 603x944) Image search: [Google]
1468519141118.png
336 KB, 603x944
realistically, how long could this last?
>>
>>30625919
right up until someone shot you
>>
This is almost as stupid as arab bread helmets
>>
>>30625919
Not sure, but I know what I'll be shooting at next trip to the range. I suspect it will work against .22lr and maybe birdshot.
>>
>>30625954
that at least was a form of political protest.
>>
>>30625919
would be better than nothing against pointy or blunt weapons. worthless against gun
>>
>>30625919
I'm pretty sure .22LR can actually penetrate that.
>>
>>30625969

If you did two like huge coffetable hardcovers and some thick ass kitchen floor tiles, you might have a chance at stopping .380
>>
>>30625991
>>30625933
>>30625969
you see I HAVE seen people shoot through stacks of text books with glocks and it managed to stop the bullet after the first book
and even old HICKOCK45 shot a book with the 500 S&W Magnum and it would seem the book managed to stop it ( i suppose your ribs would be smashed but still)
>>
>not using phone book armor
>>
>>30625919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmvKlnhMjUw
Books are really hard to punch through, I think it might take a round or two of a handgun caliber.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOt-D_ee-JE
>>
A thick phone book can stop 9mm and 223 IIRC
>>
>>30625919
Pray your enemies shoot 9mm
>>
7 pages of a folded paper speech saved a president from assassination.

You don't think 270 pages might not be helpful?
>>
>>30626874
It was 50 pages folded mate.
>>
Heavy as shit but it'd work, probably fall apart after getting hit twice though and probably won't fully stop 7.62.
>>
>>30625919
I know for a fact that a .357 JHP will only penetrate half way through a McMaster-Carr catalog, so this can easily be effective against handguns and frag, possible rifle shots at longer range.
>>
>>30625919
Brother's friend left that book at our houses, I thumbed through it. Everything in it is either fairly obvious, or just complete bullshit.
>>
>>30625919
In a gunfight, it would last for the rest of your life.
>>
I think it actually does work against pistols since the tile breaks up the round and then the paper can stop it. You don't really want to trust it though.
>>
File: 1468553140837.png (249 KB, 967x1400) Image search: [Google]
1468553140837.png
249 KB, 967x1400
>>30629740
>>
>>30625919
Not long. If you are gona do homemade armor then put some effort into it.
>>
File: WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg (56 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg
56 KB, 309x475
I remember reading a story where a copy of pic related saved some POG's life when it stopped a bullet.
>>
>>30625919
Doesn't matter, they'd just aim for the head.
>>
>>30630404
That'd be the only thing it's good for.
>>
>>30626078
Stopping the bullet means nothing if one of those smashed ribs punctures your lungs.
>>
>>30625919
It would protect you from a handgun, shotgun, rubber bullets and even .223 at some point, but make all the ceramic fly around and kick like a horse and everything.
And it would probably fall off if it isn't absolutely tightly bound to your body with tons of tape.

The ceramic should deform the bullet and the +500 pages book should effectively absorb the energy.
Note that I said should.

Keep in mind that this armor will get useless after getting hit 3 or 4 times and of getting shot at point blank distance with a shotgun or rifle.

Besides that it weight a lot.
You would be better off carrying arounf sand bags in front of your torso or something
>>
>>30630404
Pages can stop bullets because the energy is dissipated evenly throughout the pages. It's not piercing a book, it's piercing a thousand individual pages that all crumple and fold into eachother. You'd actually want paperbacks for this, since the hard covers just add unnecessary weight without interacting with the rest of the paper in the way necessary to stop bullets.

The concept is also why you can use two phone books as a super strong joint if you fold each page into the other one; the friction of so many pages moving against eachother is just too great to pull apart, and it's too much to push out of the way of a bullet.

This is also why sand bags work, and why africans wear life vests filled with sand when they can't afford armor. The sand doesn't stop the bullet; the bullet pushes the sand, and the rest of the sand stops the sand that the bullet is trying to push.

Tiles won't stop shit because they'll just immediately shatter and let the round through. Even if it stops the first, it won't stop a second.

All this said, paper and sand are quite heavy, and tile might at least stop knives as it just glances off under the weak strength of just a man. Ceramic plates are specially made to be super hard to just outright stop anything going through at all, but even then, they have to get replaced after you get shot at and hit, and you're likely to lose a rib or two even then.
>>
File: consider.png (293 KB, 800x424) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
293 KB, 800x424
>>30625919

A few hits, depending on how well you made it.

Mythbusters has done this a couple times, they stopped 30-06, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39, and 5.56 NATO with phone books.

They also made Japanese-style paper armor which stopped arrows, musket balls, several pistol rounds, and low-velocity rifle rounds.

Basically, phone book armor is the way to go.
>>
Paper books do a good job of stopping most pistol rounds. Rifle rounds will punch straight through.
>>
Isn't this from some "CIA" manual about how to secretly oper8 in other countries? How the fuck are you going to stay concealed when your torso is a perfect oblong?
>>
Demolition Ranch pls test
>>
223 went straight though the yellow pages at 50 yards... It may slow down pistol calibers to not penetrate the skin...
>>
>>30630608
Doesn't the shattering dissipate KE from the bullet ?

I suppose the shitty book armour might help against fragmentation.
>>30630698
Paper armour did not help against musket balls...
>>
>>30625919
at best, about 1 handgun round or until the tape stopped being sticky
>>
>>30630889
>>
warhammer 40k best codex is besr armor
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.