[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Installing Patriot Mag Release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: WP_20160714_12_15_31_Rich_LI.jpg (426 KB, 2656x1488) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160714_12_15_31_Rich_LI.jpg
426 KB, 2656x1488
I just got my Patriot Mag Release in the mail.
Pictures of install. Nothing detailed, because it's nothing difficult.

It's identical to installing a regular bullet button. Mag catch, spring, button, castle nut, thread on.

I'll be discussing mechanical function and compliance to recent California laws SB880 and AB1135.
>>
>>30621556
RIP CALIFORNIAN GUN RIGHTS

PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS
>>
File: WP_20160714_12_18_02_Rich_LI.jpg (405 KB, 2672x1504) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160714_12_18_02_Rich_LI.jpg
405 KB, 2672x1504
>>30621556
First of all, remove and throw away the old bullet button.

In terms of mechanical design, the Patriot Mag Release is literally a metal bar welded onto the original bullet button. An ordinary mil-spec mag catch spring is used, instead of the one provided with gen 1 bullet buttons.

The intent of the design is that the welded bar blocks the actuation of the button. It is technically possible to operate the Patriot Mag Release with a tool until SB880/AB1135 comes into effect sometime in 2017.

Once the new laws come into effect, the Patriot Mag Release must be permanently installed by hammering in the included metal dowel.
>>
>>30621600
Can i take it out?
>>
File: WP_20160714_12_59_24_Rich_LI.jpg (409 KB, 2672x1504) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160714_12_59_24_Rich_LI.jpg
409 KB, 2672x1504
>>30621600
My ARAK-21 upper does not fit the Patriot Mag Release. I had my dad partially grind off the tip.

>>30621621
No, once the Patriot Mag Release is installed by hammering the metal dowel, it is a permanent fixture in your AR-15.
Removing it requires you to drill it out. I recommend using a drill press for that.
>>
File: WP_20160714_13_20_50_Rich_LI.jpg (426 KB, 2672x1504) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160714_13_20_50_Rich_LI.jpg
426 KB, 2672x1504
>>30621635
Perfect fit, sort of.

The letter of the law is:
Adds a new definition for “fixed magazine,” which reads “an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.”

In short, the Patriot Mag Release complies to the new laws by making the magazine permanently fixed. It cannot be removed with a tool (once the metal dowel is hammered in).

Removal of the magazine requires disassembly of the action (in this case, separation of the upper and lower via the takedown pin)

I suppose the only silver lining in this story is that I can legally use the Norgon Ambi-Catch, so my gun is now fully ambidextrous.
>>
>>30621688
why would you do this instead of waiting till 2017 to register?
>>
Fuggin gommies
>>
>>30621740
I don't want to register my rifle.
As a guns rights supporter, you should minimize the effectiveness of gun control legislation by noncompliance.

The new Patriot Mag Release is a measure of noncompliance which will drive down the number of registered ARs.

It is still an individual choice however. To some people, being able to register your gun and do crazy shit with it, is probably more important than sticking it to the Man.
>>
>>30621780
don't think i have much of a choice with my DSA FAL or AKM
>>
>>30621780
>As a guns rights supporter, you should minimize the effectiveness of gun control legislation by noncompliance.

Then why are you complying, pussy?
>>
>>30621827
Since you presumably have a bullet button already installed, maybe you can fabricate a design similar to the PMR.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any gun designs beyond the AR-15 (this is my first and only gun so far)

I suppose you could also say "What FAL? I don't own an FAL." and shoot it inna desert where no one will bother you.

>>30621870
SB 880 and AB1135 are gun control measures which are public facing to legislators. They see the number of registered rifles.

All other legislation are simply enforced by police. They don't care if people are following it or not, and they don't know how many people actually follow it in any case.
>>
Weird. When I installed my Patriot Mag release it was right after I crossed the Colorado out of California with my pregnant wife to move cross country with no job lined up and a basement to stay in.

And I installed it by removing my bullet button and putting my Patriot Mag release in, which was actually a STOCK AR MAGAZINE RELEASE.

Worth every single hardship.
>>
>>30621635
>permanent fixture

Fuck that, it are mass non compliance time.
>>
>>30624585
Moving out of California only makes things more difficult for gun owners still living in California.

At this point, the only thing that can save California from itself is a mass immigration of gun owners.
>>
>>30621688

so what the fuck? the bullet button is gone and now the only way to load new mags is to pop your rear takedown, drop the mag, put the upper and lower together again, push the takedown back in and hit the bolt release?
>>
>>30627087
Yes, you didn't actually want your takedown pins to last for any reasonable length of time, did you?
>>
>>30626208
once the ship is fucking going down staying around to comfort the other people on the ship is fucking stupid.
>>
>>30626208
sry mang, but i ditched Cali a year ago.
no one got time for cali laws and a bad economy.
>>
>>30621908
Why don't you just take off the bullet button and really not comply? (my theoretical friends that theoretically live in CA did may or may not have done this, at least in theory) Because you're still complying by doing this stupid shit and newly purchased rifles have to be registered now anyway, might as well just be a criminal now since they're going to make you into one later.
>>
>>30621740
Because they'll eventually say that the laws aren't working and they need people to "voluntarily" turn in their already registered guns.
>>
>>30621556
>Complying with laws that only become worse for no intentional good reason.
What the fuck are you doing, Calinigger.
>>
>>30621556
>complying

I just put all my regular mag releases back in and went shooting at the local range today. CA gov can go fuck itself
>>
>>30621780
>The new Patriot Mag Release is a measure of noncompliance
How so?
>>
>>30628095
California logic, don't bother.
>>
File: 1330159273922.jpg (155 KB, 540x402) Image search: [Google]
1330159273922.jpg
155 KB, 540x402
>>30621780
>I don't want to register my rifle.
You already register both long guns and handguns in CA when the DROS is submitted.
>>
>>30621688
Do you not have a lighter? Melt the ends of that cord, just seeing those stray filaments makes my teeth feel weird.
>>
File: 1358089650316.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1358089650316.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>30626208
Dude... Stop paying them to hate you. California is a deathtrap for gunnies. It keeps pulling you back in so it can hit you.

After I got settled in another state it was like the training wheels came off my life. Living in Ca for 28 years, was making 70k in SoCal. Moved to "low income" state. 8 months of shit work until I got a job in my field (Election hiring freeze. Thanks Obama). Start making little under 50k. Hueg paycut right? As a percentage of my income, rent was exactly the same as in Ca. Bought a 120k 4 bed 2 bath 2k sqft HOUSE for less than I was paying for a semi-nice 2 bed 2 bath appt. Had two kids. Wife doesn't have to work just so we can make ends meet or pay for commie-tier daycare. Traded guns like a free American. Got license to train concealed carry. Generally accomplished an adult life in about 5 years in Free America after struggling 28 years in California.

Move. Just do it. California doesn't need or want you. Free America needs you. Pic related.
>>
File: 1369753647677.jpg (10 KB, 329x281) Image search: [Google]
1369753647677.jpg
10 KB, 329x281
>>30621780
>you should minimize the effectiveness of gun control legislation by noncompliance.
You're installing a compliant magazine release.

California doesn't want you to do X or Y with your legal guns. They want you to stay, make California dollars, and pay California taxes.

You want to not comply you should get on welfare. At least draw from the state rather than fund it.
>>
>Implying previously bought rifles won't be registered retroactively
>Implying CaDOJ isn't already keeping digital records of DROS
>Implying Cali can't force shops to submit their DROS forms to CaDOJ

They're coming for your rifles. Even if they just put you on a list and only get them when they have police contact with you.

CaDOJ already maintains a list of gun owners that it crosschecks against updates to domestic violence/mental health/felonies and actively confiscate guns from people who are newly prohibited. But you already knew that because you're paying attention, and a work AF Californian, riiiiigghhhttt???
>>
>>30629354
so true, working in CA for a while, took a better job in a free state making like 40% more a year on gross income and when cost of living and taxes were factored in it was esentially close to an 80% pay raise
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.