[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Military units that impressed you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 21
File: iraq-1000x743.jpg (187 KB, 1000x743) Image search: [Google]
iraq-1000x743.jpg
187 KB, 1000x743
>101st Airborne
>Would Do story-time
>They are just bad ass
>Nuff said
>>
>>30620988

From Eugene Sledge's book With the old Breed:

>The veterans in our ranks scrutinized the men of the 8th Marines with the hard professional stare of old salts sizing up another outfit. Everything we saw brought forth marks of approval: they looked squared away, and many of them were combat veterans.

>I talked to a 60mm mortarman who was carrying almost an entire cloverleaf of HE shells on a backpack rig. Asking why he was so overloaded, I was told his battalion commander wanted the mortarmen to try the arrangement because they could carry more ammo than in a regular ammo bag. I hoped fervently that one of our officers saw that rig.

>I also saw a machine gun squad with "Nip Nemesis" stenciled neatly on the water jacket of their .30 caliber heavy machine gun. They were a sharp looking crew.
>>
>>30620988
This pic reminds me of Laurel & Hardy
>>
>>30620988
>Call themselves airborne
>Haven't jumped since 1944
>>
>>30620988
>Battalion Zoska, Batallion Parasol, Battalion Miolta and other direct action AK units during the Warsaw Uprising like the Krybar Regiment, Grey Scouts, Kolegium A and Chichochemni

>partisans with few weapons that were in poor condition in the first place (1 in 4 partisans had a weapon at the begining of the Uprising) had to arm themselves with captured German weapons and uniforms, who were outnumbered with no reinforcements went toe to toe with 2 SS divisions with reinforcements for 2 months who called the Warsaw Uprising the toughest house to house fighting since Stalingrad

Oh, and somehow they managed to capture 2 tanks, a Panther, Hetzer and a few halftracks/armored cars, using them until they broke down or ran out of ammunition
>>
>>30621320
>me
>incharge of attaching photos
>>
>>30621113
what is junction city.jpag
>>
File: Argylls.jpg (88 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
Argylls.jpg
88 KB, 720x720
The Argylls of Canada.

>Operation Totalize, August 1944
>objective is to capture hill 195
>the CO leads the entire unit in single file during the dead of night to the top of the hill
>they dig in as much as they can, dawn breaks and the Germans on either side light them up
>they hold the hill until reinforced by the remainder of the 4th armored division 2 days later

Then they promptly burned down an entire village because the CO got sniped.
>>
>>30621639
I was talking about the 101st not jumping since Market Garden.

The 173rd patch was showing a unit that actually has jumped recently. Hell, the 173rd jumped into Iraq.
>>
>>30620988
101st doesn't necessarily "impress" me.

As a prior 0311 they seem more Infantry mentality to me. They call those who aren't legs.

>Not understanding how important Unit mentality is in Infantry.
>>
>>30621113
Wasn't the 173rd Brigade part of the 101st Airborne Division?
>>
>>30620988
Their modern claim to fame is raping and murdering a 14-year-old Iraqi girl while drunk, so they don't seem impressive
>>
File: 3.24.12c.jpg (65 KB, 308x448) Image search: [Google]
3.24.12c.jpg
65 KB, 308x448
These guys
>>
Whatever the services squadron is at Goodfellow AFB. Those dfac's were cash.
>>
>>30621054
Great book about a horrible war.
>>
502D here. STIKE.
>>
What was the name of that black bag CIA unit in Vietnam which went around capturing Vietcong sympathizers and executing them?
>>
File: 2ujgjeq.png (156 KB, 452x302) Image search: [Google]
2ujgjeq.png
156 KB, 452x302
>>30620988
The One hundred and worst airborne...

You are easily impressed.

By the way, the 101st isn't Airborne.
>>
>>30625199
AIR ASSAULT, sir.
>>
File: 2016-07-14_21.37.08.jpg (875 KB, 2149x762) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-14_21.37.08.jpg
875 KB, 2149x762
>>30620988

Why, thank you kindly.
>>
>>30625199
Spot the 82nd fag
>>
>>30621113
>>30625199
Just so you're aware, you're a fucking moron, because airborne = parachute + helicopter. At its founding in WWII, it was parachute + glider. In fact, most airborne units in WWII were glider troops.

See this Distinctive Unit Insignia that you're probably fucking dumb enough to think is a "unit crest" (there actually is no such thing)? This was my grandfather's unit, the 550th Airborne Infantry Battalion, the first glider unit in the United States Army. They tested and perfected the concept in Panama, then invaded Sicily, then France, then Belgium, then the Netherlands, then Luxembourg, then finally Germany. His parent unit, the 17th Airborne Division, racked up more Medals of Honor than any other airborne division in the war. Glider battalions and regiments were initially called "airborne" to distinguish them from parachute units; e.g. 550th Airborne Infantry Battalion, 551st Parachute Infantry Battalion, etc. Then the army reflagged them as glider units, while parachute units kept their designations, and they were collected into airborne divisions; e.g. 194th Glider Infantry Regiment, 187th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 17th Airborne Division.

But let's hear more of your fag opinions about what's airborne and what's not, and please tell me how glider infantrymen like my Based Grandpa Florian aren't really airborne.

Fucking faggot.
>>
>>30625414
Wew, we've got a badass here.

Tell us more about what your grandpa did, as though you have anything to do with it or can speak authoritatively because of it.
>>
File: 17th Airborne Division.png (218 KB, 2000x2620) Image search: [Google]
17th Airborne Division.png
218 KB, 2000x2620
>>30621113
>there have only been five combat jumps since wwii
>parachute deployment is a useful delivery concept
>>
>>30620988
>101st
>impressive
To a child or mentally retarded person, perhaps.
>>
>>30621976
No, they're their own BCT.

101st is divided into regiments.
>>
File: Appelhülsen, Germany.jpg (526 KB, 1500x1046) Image search: [Google]
Appelhülsen, Germany.jpg
526 KB, 1500x1046
>>30625456
Look at the fag, all butt-flustered after getting schooled on what airborne actually means.

I was in the 101st myself. But enjoy a pic of my based gramps invading Germany.
>>
>>30625492
You're grandpa fought for the NWO, how noble.
>>
File: You.png (377 KB, 594x422) Image search: [Google]
You.png
377 KB, 594x422
>>30625522
>You're grandpa fought for the NWO, how noble.
>You're grandpa
>You're
>>
>>30625492
based gramps fought for the jew, burnt down the heart of europe, and we reap the rewards with another terrorist attack tonight
>>
>>30625560
>autism about grammar
>calling others fedora
Real disconnect there.
>>
File: 100th442nd1.jpg (211 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
100th442nd1.jpg
211 KB, 600x640
>>30620988
100th/442nd Infantry Regiment.

>The 4,000 men who initially came in April 1943 had to be replaced nearly 2.5 times. In total, about 14,000 men served, earning 9,486 Purple Hearts. The unit was awarded eight Presidential Unit Citations (5 earned in one month). Twenty-one of its members were awarded Medals of Honor.

The Gothic Line

>"For six months, the US Army had three infantry divisions attempting to breach the German Gothic Line, which protected the Po Valley that led to the Austrian Alps, the final barrier to Germany. The commander and officers of the 100th Battalion/442nd Regiment devised a plan to break the Gothic Line in 24 hours. In April 1945, the 100th/442nd climbed Mount Fogarito for eight hours in the dark in combat gear preparing to attack the Germans with the element of surprise. As men fell off the 4,000 foot vertical mountain cliffs, no screams or yells were heard, keeping their position a secret. The 442nd Regiment successfully broke the Gothic Line in 34 minutes. Ironically, the Japanese American soldiers who broke through the Gothic Line were among the first to liberate the Jewish prisoners in the Nazi concentration camp in Dachau, Germany."

>As men fell off the 4,000 foot vertical mountain cliffs, no screams or yells were heard, keeping their position a secret.

Fucking goosebumps everywhere.
>>
>>30625589
>>30625609
You do realize that this began with me schooling some children on what the airborne concept actually means, before they went off on anti-ZOG rants to deflect attention from the fact that they didn't know what airborne actually meant, right? If you want to go off-topic, I'll be happy to mock your weight or your shitty grammar or anything else. None of these digressions distracts from the fact that you're a fucking imbecile. But, please, take up another tangent instead of just admitting you don't know what airborne actually means.

See the insignia here of the U.S. Army Airborne Command? See how the glider is above, and larger than, the parachute? That's because most airborne troops in WWII were delivered by glider, and not just in our army. The German capture of Crete was also done by glider. That's where we got the concept.
>>
>>30625470
please enlighten us on how you're going to establish a foothold in a nation you're trying to invade.
>>
File: 1466542377344.jpg (26 KB, 584x329) Image search: [Google]
1466542377344.jpg
26 KB, 584x329
>>30625560
much ebil juice
>>
>>30625698
>the 82nd jumped into bourbon street
With trucks, the same way the 82nd deployed in both Gulf Wars.
>>
>>30625718
that's why we just drove into Afghanistan right
>>
>>30625698
You're not that bright, are you?

Do people still explain how you should tie your shoes?
>>
File: image.png (540 KB, 920x485) Image search: [Google]
image.png
540 KB, 920x485
>>
>>30625744
boy that's some great insight you got there, that totally answered my question.
>>
>>30625698
>what is delta
Do you know how modern warfare is conducted, or is your mom's basement and COD enough for you?
>>
>>30625787
Your question is elementary. Do you get pissed when someone doesn't answer your questions about how to make breakfast cereal?

You are a moron.
>>
These guys.
>>
>>30625834
>what is delta
a direct action/counter terrorism unit, i fail to see how such a small unit is going to establish a large presence in a hostile nation with just a few guys and little support.
>Do you know how modern warfare is conducted, or is your mom's basement and COD enough for you?
well lets take a look at Afghanistan then
>SOF jump into afghanistan and establish relationship with NA
>later rangers dropped into afghanistan, seized an airfield for the 101st and 15th MEU
So, SOF begin the invasion by doing SOF shit, then a much larger force seizes an airfield so that additional units can land and be deployed. that's about right isn't it
>>
>>30625846
see when asked that question >>30625718 anon here answered at which point i gave a counter example >>30625725 you've failed provide some type of scenario. so why don't you try again there mr. 'tism
>>
How often to real combat HALO/HAHO jumps occur? There's been like 5 since Grenada according to Wikipedia. It seems training jumps are conducted a lot, what's the point if real free fall jumping isn't used?
>>
>>30625884
Very underrated
>>
File: recce.jpg (842 KB, 1597x2188) Image search: [Google]
recce.jpg
842 KB, 1597x2188
Well this thread went to shit rapidly. We need new mods or something, I don't know.

Anyhow my pick is SA Recces, pulled some very spooky shit during the border war and by all accounts are still a very effective unit to this day.
>>
>>30625589
Fought for the Jew? Nigga you can't seriously fucking believe this. Every time I get on /k/ I'm flabbergasted by the severe moronicism.
>>
>>30620988
>puking chikens

>impressive

They were some hot shit back in the day, but nowadays it's a bunch of douchebags
>>
What about those so called Serbian "zombie brigades" that took part in the wars?

Also, why were they called that?
>>
>>30626422
Stop looking at your posts then.
>>
>>30625522
>>30625589
I'll tell you a little story about two villages, one called kay and the other called Pol. Kay was full of people who loved to talk and shoot guns and Pol was full of people who loved to shit in their bathtubs and roll around in it all day.
Sometimes, people from Pol would go into Kay and try to join in the conversations. But the people from Kay would smell the shit clinging to the filthy Pol-ites' diseased bodies and would reject them. "Fuck off, /pol/tard!" they'd cry. No matter what the hapless Pol-ite did or said, the only response was "Fuck off, /pol/tard!"

And the people of Pol were sad. They brought their problem to the smartest man in all of Pol and asked his advice. He got his biggest bathtub, filled it with the foulest shit he could find and sat in it for a week, stewing. Everyone in Pol grew more and more tense the more he pondered. They knew he was very clever and wise - some folks said he could read without moving his lips, though most were sceptical about talk of such feats - but could he crack this nut?

Finally, the smartest man in all of Pol emerged from his bathtub of shit and announced that he had found a solution. Everyone gathered around to hear his wisdom.

"What we will do," he told them, "is this: Whenever they say 'Fuck off, /pol/tard!' we will-" he paused, furrowing his brows for a moment in intense concentration, as though he had lost grip of his momentous idea. Then he started. "Yes!" he cried. "We will... uh... yes! We'll tell them we aren't from Pol!"
>>
>>30625522
>>30625589
>>30627251
Silence greeted this extrusion. A young man in the crowd put his hand up.

"But... we ARE from Pol," he said, bewildered.

"Yes," said the wise man, "but, and it's very complicated and tricky, I know, BUT, what we do is, we... TELL them that we're not. And then they'll have to talk to us!"

The young man put his hand up again.

"But... we ARE from Pol," he said again.

The wise man sighed and began to speak once more.

It took several months of classes and speeches and diagrams and tutorials, but after much effort, most of the people of Pol were fairly sure that they could manage to say that they weren't from Pol. And so a contingent was dispatched to Kay, in high spirits at the prospect of their inevitable success.

As soon as they entered Kay, the people there began to yell at them "Fuck off, /pol/tards!"

The Pol-ites nudged and winked and grinned at one another. "We're not from Pol!" they cried.

But the people of Kay responded: "Of course you're from Pol, you fucking /pol/tards, we can smell the shit all over you! Fuck off, /pol/tards!"

They went home, as dejected as they were mystified.
>>
>>30621113
>1945, the 503rd retook Corregidor
>1967, Operation Junction City
>2003, Invasion of Iraq

Lrn2 research
>>
>>30627251
Tldr
>>
160th SOAR
>>
>>30625140
>>30621054
China Marine is a nice follow on.
>>
>>30627409
Your loss.
>>
>>30627414
I must say, I was a ground pounder for many years. Airborne, Ranger, LRS... one thing remained consistent - the professionalism and expertise of the 160th.

If you were SOAR, you always have a place at my table.
>>
>>30620988
>be OP
>pull the feminine cock out of my mouth and think about all the "military units" I know
>101st airborne
>don't know anything about them
>just say "nuff said" rather than google them for 10 minutes
>>
>>30625884
I'd seriously consider going CRO if I thought I could cut it.

Doubt the Air Force would let me after I was a doctor though.
>>
>>30620988
Spent quite a bit of time embedded in with Marines and 10th Mountain in the US for training, both groups are pretty good soldiers that don't get a lot of mention- marines in particular seem to get a fair bit of stick from the /k/ids here, but in my experience their drive and morale when it comes to a shitfight is 2nd to none. Course you don't want them near your unattended livestock ;)
Gunship pilots, bless their silly souls for hanging their arses out on the line and helping dumb grunts who bit off more than they could chew.
>>
>>30621320
>>30621339
Daily reminder the red Army stood outside Warsaw and waited for the Germans to put down the revolt.
Fucking faggots
>>
>>30628071
Take everything you think you know and toss it out the window because you haven't even scratched the surface. You observed what they wanted you to observe. You know nothing about the 10th Mountain Infantry or the Marine Infantry.
>>
>>30624312
/thread
>>
>>30628129
>You observed what they wanted you to observe

Thats true of anyone though isn't it?
In the 6 months I was with them in the US, they where professional, courteous, learned eagerly and worked hard in a job that no one seems to want to do- but someone has to. This forum in particular has a real vitriol for soldiers as a general rule it seems and a pathological amount of negativity to nearly everything.
>>
Brit here, Back in 2009 at Khandahar.

We were the outlying security for the base, mainly stomping rocket teams that were launching 107's and also provising TESSERAL cover for aircraft that landed.

There were a pair of (i believe USAF) Kiowa scout helicopters, callsign Azraiel who we had buzzing around the AO. They would often fly over routes for us to look for IED's and generally look out for stuff.

They were a bit cowboy, (spotlamping farmers at night always got a great reception at the shuras, as well as almost lighting up an OP we had put out) but wether it was day/night and whatever you needed they'd get in the air and give us a hand, whilst we were lacking any organic aircover of our own.

Top blokes.
>>
>>30628260
>Thats true of anyone though isn't it?
no its called cherrypicking
>>
File: oscarm.jpg (7 KB, 216x204) Image search: [Google]
oscarm.jpg
7 KB, 216x204
>>30628260
I don't know about the infantile nature of negativity you claim is pathologically inherent to this board - but I do know about the Infantry and not a single one of them would allow you to really embed into the fold.

I served in leg, airborne and ranger infantry. One thing is certain - there is a very strict set of standards that needs to be met before being accepted. Not even outside infantry can enter the confines of another infantry unit.

Like I said, you saw an act.
>>
>>30628298
USAF
>Cowboys

Well if you're gonna live up to a stereotype might as well make it a fun one.
>>
>>30627409
/pol/ BTFO once again.
>>
File: image_1.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>30621754
That's my kinda war
>>
>>30625971
Well, I guess getting your info from MoH IS better than getting it from CoD.
>>
>>30625662
Jesus
>>
>>30625698
Why the fuck do people always put the flashlight on the bottom and not the side?
>>
>>30620988
I worked with 7th, 3rd, and 19th SF groups. I was very impressed with 7th group. Not impressed by 3rd group at all.
>>
>>30628113
>Angry polack detected
guess what, stalin didn't like you faggots so he let you be killed by his enemy to both remove as many of you as he could ans to wear down his other enemy. Stalin was a shitbag and it's his fault for so many of the ruined roots of the USSR.

Cheers
>>
>>30625971
>what is delta
>a direct action/counter terrorism unit, i fail to see how such a small unit is going to establish a large presence in a hostile nation with just a few guys and little support.

'ok'
but kys
>>
>>30628345
> i serbed
>it was an act
>I'm right youre wrong the post

just like go play with your legos
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.