[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Scout Rifles still relevant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: scout rifle.jpg (73 KB, 660x365) Image search: [Google]
scout rifle.jpg
73 KB, 660x365
So /k/ what's your opinion on scout rifles? Are they still relevant?

The only point I see in them is if you live in anti-fun states/countries or if you're shooting suppressed subsonic loads that won't cycle a semiautomatic action, and want a carbine length rifle.
>>
they never really were to being with.
>>
It's great for an outdoorsperson, like a bushcrafter. The Ruger Gunsite comes in .308 and .223 as well, which is nifty, especially since .223 will deal with most things in my part of the country (i.e. no bears). I've been fawning over that rifle for a while now.
>>
>>30615672
no they're special snowflake guns for people who make up purposes where a bolt gun or rifle wouldn't work and a carbine would suck
>>
>>30615707
I could kinda see that, being an outdoorsman rifle. But it's pretty fuddy. Why wouldn't an AR-15 with a 10 round mag be just as good?
>>
>>30615730
pretty much what I thought

though with the new Cali AWB they might become more popular to being less restricted
>>
>>30615672
good for da woods
>>
They're good brush guns if you can't afford a battle rifle in weight or size. Personally I use a .44 mag lever gun for similar defensive uses and short range hunting. My wilderness is all dense woods so the lack of range isn't an issue.
>>
File: RGS.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
RGS.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>30615672
>So /k/ what's your opinion on scout rifles?
Just got this last week and I like so far out side the magazine and flash hider. I ordered some of the magpul ones so hopefully they're better. I also put see through rings on it and moved the scope back a bit.

>Are they still relevant?
Probably not. But I wanted one so I bought one so there.

>or if you're shooting suppressed
I bought this to use with a hybrid thats still in jail. I dont think I'll use subsonic 308 regularly but who knows, I'll try it out.
>>
>>30615913
nice gat, how accurate are you finding it to be?
>>
>>30615754
cuz ar15s are restricted in canada :(

you can only use them at 'approved ranges' and the mags are pinned to 5 rounds
>>
File: ar-18.png (900 KB, 836x1183) Image search: [Google]
ar-18.png
900 KB, 836x1183
>>30615961
dem AR-180's doe
>>
>>30615953
I only sighted it into 50 yards (furthest I could go at the time) then got new rings so I have to start that all over again. Sorry I cant give you a better answer, I've had it less than a week and only out once.
>>
Can you guys explain to a nogunz eurofag what properties make a scout rifle?
>>
>>30616027
nah it's cool. they interest me to a degree and I might get one eventually, but DESU it's low on the list for now
>>
>>30615672
jesus christ, we have this thread like once a day.
>>
>>30616045
stolen from wikipedia

An unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lb); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 pounds) the maximum acceptable.
An overall length of 1 meter (39 inches) or less. These two characteristics place scout rifles into the general class of carbines.
A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2 to 3 power. This preserves the shooter's peripheral vision, keeps the ejection port open to allow the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.
Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight. This allows the rifle to be accurately aimed at short to medium ranges even if the scope becomes damaged.
A "Ching" or "CW" sling. Against common practice, Cooper advocated the use of a sling as a shooting aid. The Ching sling offers the convenience of a carrying strap and the steadiness of a target shooter's sling with the speed of a biathlete's sling. (The CW sling is a simpler version of a Ching sling, consisting of a single strap.)
A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces or for its "slightly better ballistics."[4] As Cooper wrote, "A true Scout comes in .308 or 7mm-08."[5] The .243 Winchester is an alternative for young, small-framed, or recoil-shy people, but needs a 22" barrel. Cooper also commissioned "Lion Scout," chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge.
Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 meters/yards (3 shot groups).
>>
>>30616051
got it done early then anon, see you just gotta think positive
>>
>>30616048
I hear ya. I think this is gun 48 or 49 so it took me a while to get around to it as well lol. I honestly needed to to justify the hybrid and this was an interesting and different rifle with out a gas system to worry about.
>>
The point of a scout rifle is that if you had to have one rifle, for the rest of your life, and it had to be capable of ALMOST every task that falls under the needs of a rifle, it should do that.

Enough accuracy to hunt and fight: Check

Enough capacity to fight: Check

Enough reliability that it'll eat anything with the right diameter bullet and case: Check because bolt gun

Enough ballistic punch to kill anything on the continent you're on: Check for North America

Will an AR do those things? Sure, but ARs dont have ultra long term reliability.
>>
>>30615867
I'd love to have a lever action 45-70 for an innawoods gun.
>>
>>30616215

Get the Chris Pratt gun
>>
>>30616224
That would be cool, but without the scope. I personally think scopes do not belong on lever action rifles.
>>
>>30616191
bolt guns aren't inherently reliable. There's a video of nutnfancy trying to manipulate a remington 700 with a stuck bolt and a few vids out there with mosin bolts locking up.

Now are they more simple? Yes

But are modern quality rifles also exceptionally reliable? Also yes
>>
>>30615672
tried a scout setup on a 44mag rossi, the scopes suck, gimick, dont bother.
>>
>tfw Howa is now offering a Scout Rifle
>>
>>30616462
well I'll be damned........

looks sexy too

>inb4 IT'S NOT A REAL SCOUT, THE SCOPES TOO CLOSE REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>30616275

>EVER believing anything to do with Nutn....

Get a job, son
>>
>>30615754
A bolt action means one less thing to go wrong if you're miles out in the middle of nowhere, AR-15s are restricted/illegal/hard to find in many places, and it feels cool hauling a gun like that around in the back country. An AR can and often will be better depending on the circumstances, but at the end of the day it comes down to availability and personal preference.
>>
>>30615672

>Are they still relevant?

They weren't even really relevant in the 80s when Cooper gave the concept traction here in the States.

>The only point I see in them is if you live in anti-fun states/countries

So just buy a "hunting" rifle.

>if you're shooting suppressed subsonic loads that won't cycle a semiautomatic action, and want a carbine length rifle

So do what everyone else does and either modify the weapon to cycle or hand cycle each round because at least then you own a suppressed, semiautomatic battle rifle.
>>
>>30616191
>Enough capacity to fight: Check

For sniping, ok; but a bolt action is worthless in a fight where people are shooting back with self-loading weapons and standard-size magazines.
>>
>>30615672

Maybe with a suppressor.

Against animals, the scout rifle is good for hunting.

Against humans, it's not really that special compared to a modern carbine with optics.
>>
>>30617787
normally in a fight you dont sit there and trade bullets with the enemy and most of the time whoever initiates contact is not even seen by the enemy.
>>
I'd buy into the scout rifle meme if someone would make a straight-pull that was worth a damn.
>>
>>30616763
he got it on camera lol, it's kinda hard not to deny when he shows the Remington 700 failing on him
>>
>>30616506
There is literally no justification for long eye relief scopes barring use of stripper clips.

If your rifle has a detachable magazine, your optic should be in a non-retarded position
>>
>>30621669
this
>>
File: PEWPEWPEW.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
PEWPEWPEW.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>30621669

I think the whole concept is that the scope should be low power and far forward for faster target acquisition. Guns and ammo did a comparison between a traditional scope, long eye relief scope, and red dot. The traditional scope was the most accurate, but was the slowest to get rounds on target. The red dot was the least accurate, but fastest aiming, and the long eye relief scope fell in the middle of the two.

Not that I like long eye relief scopes, just food for thought.
>>
File: 1431422034751.png (304 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1431422034751.png
304 KB, 1600x1200
>>30615672
>Scout Rifles
What makes a rifle a "Scout Rifle" anyways?
>>
>>30622074

>Big enough round to kill whatever game is around you, so .308 is a pretty popular choice
>Long eye relief 2-5x scope
>Light ~7lbs
>Short maneuverable barrel
>3 point sling
>bolt action

The idea being it would be an alright rifle for hunting or combat if you could only have one rifle. It's a jack of all trades master of none kind of thing.
>>
>>30615672
I believe so in NY and Cali since it's inevitable their politicians will try to ban semi-auto rifles/carbines/shotguns.
>>
File: 1441921321808.gif (812 KB, 468x325) Image search: [Google]
1441921321808.gif
812 KB, 468x325
>>30622180
ok thanks. that has actually been bugging me for quite some time. now i finally understand what a scout rifle is. thank you.
>>
>>30615672
When were scout rifles ever relevant?

Is the only difference the scope being mounted forward? What did they mean by this???
>>
I have heard of the Ruger Gunsite, the Mossberg MVP, and the Savage 11 Scout. For me, the appeal is that they're about the only current production bolt guns with iron sights, and come with a picatinny rail
to slap on optics.[spoiler] I also think they'll be decent "give to a noguns" gun in the habbening.[/spoiler]
>>30615913
Can you load the mag with stripper clips? There were some youtube videos of stripper loading with the bare mag, but not on the gun.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.