[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guys! I heard that armor can be discussed so here is my project.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 20160711_014254.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160711_014254.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hi guys! I heard that armor can be discussed so here is my project.

I just started making chainmail and i realized that my rings are a bit large they are 13 milimeters in diameter or 0.43 inches. The issue is that i already made a few lbs of rings that size.

Would the chaimail be effective against malee weapons in theory considering that it is butted mail+ large rings? I do not plan to use it but i still want it to be realistic.
>>
>>30596980
Try stabbing it with something sharp and pointed.
>>
>>30596980
I'm not trolling here, but go to /tg/, preferably one of the LARP threads. If Gropey is around he can give solid advice, and if not fa/tg/uys are still pretty damn knowledgeable. Might get lucky here though, won't hurt to try both places.
>>
>>30597004
Oh gropey is still around?

W-why don't he want us man?
>>
Your ½ inch butted rings won't stop my ½ inch radius cock penetrating your butt.
>>
>>30596980
It'll probably stop most knives provided you wear a gambison and they aren't attacking with something long and thin.
>>
>>30596980
That looks like it would be good stage mail. Something that looks good and sounds right but doesnt have the full weight of combat mail.
Would be good for cosplay or fairs. Its also good practice.
I say make a full shirt out of it and then once you have that down, make a better one with smaller rings.
>>
>>30596980
I don't think mail is meant to be hit directly; more to deflect glancing but still dangerous cuts
>>
>>30596980
OP or others, please go into how I can create my own chainmail suit as I've fully embraced my autism and want to own one for renfairs. Is it expensive?

I'd say finish this one up, it'll be good practice for working with smaller loops and if anything you'll have two suits when you make the superior small loops or you can sell the big one for a nice profit
>>
>>30597075
It not expensive but incredibly time consuming to the point that with the amount of work that goes into our end you may as well have gotten a min wage part time job also you will get laughed at unless you have riveted mail
>>
>>30597010
>radius

Yes it will.
>>
File: 20160224_143823.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160224_143823.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30597075
I am making it out of steel wire i spent 5$ on. I think it would cost me like 20$ to make whole thing. Depends what type of wire you are getting.
>>
>>30596980
Large rings will be ok on some areas like your back- which doesn't get stabbed nearly as much unless you're a politician.
What you can do is also use smaller rings which a lot more 'density' so to speak in higher risk areas (neck, shoulders) and those where done on historical mail as well.

Its good practice if nothing else
>>
>>30597075
https://youtu.be/EUrY7uwcYsI

Here is the guide that i used to do what you see in thread pic
>>
File: IMG_20160712_160857 Cropped.jpg (214 KB, 730x730) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160712_160857 Cropped.jpg
214 KB, 730x730
>>30596980
>>30597075
Just knit rings together for 400 hours.
>>
>>30597100
What do you think you are, some kind of geometry expert? Because I'm saying the dynamics of my caulka exceed the statics of his butte.
>>
>>30597056
By what estimates I've seen decent mail should be able to prevent penetration by basically any single handed weapon swung by a human arm, since the energy needed to penetrate hovers around the absolute limit of what a human being can generate single handedly.

A two handed weapon could get through, but that requires one hell of a hit.

Given this I'd say that mail is designed to simply be as effective as possible, since it'll be hit in whatever way your opponent manages. And the result was quite capable to taking a lot of hits straight on, which I'd say was a good thing, given that the chain nature of it seems better suited to catching points than deflecting them.

Of course, butted mail isn't decent mail here, at least not without resorting to things like stitching every single link to a sturdy cloth backing (making somethign more akin to scale armour in spirit than normal mail). The main failure mode of mail is the links opening up and letting go of each other, meaning that the closing up of them (by riveting, brazing or welding) is of immense importance to its performance.
>>
>>30596980
Traditional riveted mail, yes
Butted mail like what you're making, no.

It'll dull the shit out of what ever is trying to cut you, but since there is nothing holding the rings together they will give with the same force you used to bend them together.

source: I browse /tg/
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 534x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 534x460
>>30596980
Dang. You just reminded me I have a flint knapping kit I need to start. Gotta get some gloves first to combat slivers. Any recommendations?
>>
>>30597009
Probably because we want to be super oper8r all the time and ain't got no time for no famby pamby swinging of swords and such.

I don't think he comes around all that often on tg anymore either, just occasionally. I dunno though I don't go there very often anymore.
>>
The mail will work. On a side note, unless it's a broad pointed one handed weapon, mail never was designed to stop puncturing attacks. Stabbing is something mail cannot effectively protect u against. However. What it does well is take the slashing damage of a sword and turn it more into the damage a baseball bat would do. Instead of getting your arm cleaved clean off, it will just brake. Was designed to keep your limbs on your torso in short summation
>>
>>30596980

13mm isn't 0,43", and still, it's pretty damn big, op. From my testing, even 8mm, 1,5mm thick butted rings are pretty much toast against just 30lbs bow and simple 7gram bodkin. Even a glancing hit ripped about 8 rings from the thing. It will stop an axe or a hefty sword slash, but just barely, the force transfering over a larger area is nonexistant on weave this loose and a second hit is very likely to get through. Still, knife cuts, most definitely, stabs, well... It WILL help against a stab by a blade that isn't a stilleto, but hey, stopping it? Not really.

That being said, proper, historical mail - riveted - is the tits, man. Slashing with something that isn't as hefty as an axe isn't gonna do much, flat-ringed mail looks goddamn fabulous and light, too, (the flat rings may be as thin as 0,5mm, while still being damn strong, because, well, when you rivet it, you have to actually rip the metal, not open it) and proper, thick weave/allignment of the mail spreads the force over a fairly large area and withstands stabs quite well. That being said, something really narrow and pointy and/or two-handed is going to get through. Look up rondel dagger or needle bodkin. Or, y'know, a spear.
>>
Are you using 14ga? If you are, 1/2in is on on the low end for combat armor and at best it'll turn a slashing blow in to a crushing blow. If you want something that'll protect sans rivets, you'll need kings (8 in 2) and preferably twisted kings.

I made some 17ga 1/4 6 in 1 that'll stop a knife, but you don't want to make a shirt of that unless you want to spend 3 years weaving.
>>
File: IMG_3570.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3570.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Ive tried making chainmail, not for use as real armor but just for fun. Honestly its probably not going to be much use as an armor unless you do something like a kings weave, even then, its going to take you ages to make by yourself and wont be worth it in the long run.
>>
>>30597102
Are you wrapping the steel around that rod using only hand strength? If so, get yourself a power drill and something to hold the rod while you spin it, way faster and much easier.

>>30597075
?Making chainmail is extremely cheap and fun to do, however it takes a fucklong time to do. If you really want to get into doing it and dont mind not being able to use your hands for anything else for the first few days, look up tutorials on youtube. There are tons of them.
>>
>>30596980
Butted maille is just decorative. Period armor was welded or riveted to prevent the rings from simply opening up when stabbed.
>>
File: Shit.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Shit.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30597411
It's sad that no one on this board really cares about historical stuff, I love guns but I love HEMA & medieval shit too
>>
>>30597100
>checked

Also, what if his dick goes in through the rings soft, then gets hard once he's past? Then you're getting fucked, boy-o.
>>
>>30600984
Then he's stuck ands in incredible pain
Source: I tried something incredibly similar
>>
>>30596980
Butted armor is trash and won't defend you against anything.

If you can bend it open with pliers, I can force it open.

>>30597056
You're wrong.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.