[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IEDs are a motherfucker...it has the ability to take down almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
IEDs are a motherfucker...it has the ability to take down almost every APC/MRAP and sometimes even MBTs

What prevents the tanks from having underside armor?
>>
1. shitloads of additional weight because tanks need to be low

2.if you raise the hull to make it V shaped, you tank is now HUGE in a bad way (abrams is already 8 ft tall)

3.probably some other reason I can't think of right now
>>
>>30595610
Well they would become too heavy?
>>
MBTs are heavily armored from the underside.
The problem is that some IEDs designed to take out tanks are so powerful that it's not feasible to add protection against them.

Although from what I understand the bounce from the explosion is the bigger crew-killer
>>
>>30595610

Big enough bomb will fuck up anything.

>What prevents the tanks from having underside armor?

Weight constraints. Making modern MBT even heavier would have ramifications on logistics and terrain or even territory that tank operate on, as roads and bridges have limitations.
>>
>>30595680
>MBTs are heavily armored from the underside

No, they're really fucking not.

The rear of the M1 is ~40mm.
The bottom hull is half that.
>>
>>30595610

I don't see how IEDs are such a threat.

I mean, how fucking difficult is it to design a multi-band Ghz range jammer?

These things are 99% of the time detonated remotely.
>>
No matter how armored you are, the concussive wave will fuck you up. You need to also redirect the energy.
Look at some examples from WW2l; Buttoned up Sherman hits a mine, crew is killed instantly. Sherman with hatches open runs over mine, tank loses track and crew has slight case of tinnitus.
>>
>>30595871
what if it's tripwire?
>>
>>30595871
So hard that we dont have one today.
Also IED still a threat just take a look into EFP's
>>
>>30595871
>>30595910
http://www.wired.com/2010/07/ff_roadside_bombs/all/1

good article on it.

TL;DR its a constant evolutionary struggle. Jammers are pretty useless.
>>
Armata will have under belly APS
>>
File: electric-wire-2-veins-per-meter.jpg (188 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
electric-wire-2-veins-per-meter.jpg
188 KB, 1500x1500
>>30595871
>I mean, how fucking difficult is it to design a multi-band Ghz range jammer?
>These things are 99% of the time detonated remotely.

Let me introduce you to... MBJRCOAAADS. Multi-Band Jamming Resistant Connection for Observed Anti-Armor Area Denial System.
>>
>>30595871
>I know nothing about IED's; the Post
I'm not going to call you names though, it's not something everyone needs to know.

Victim operated IEDs are the most common types. You just drop and forget, no need to be anywhere around when it goes off.

Command Det are the next most common type. You don't get any better than having positive control on the exact moment of detonation.

They know that the more shit you have that can go wrong, the more shit probably will go wrong.
>>
>>30595977
Your acronyms suck.

Let me introduce you to one of the more impressive ones i have seen.

MAGIC CARPET.

>Maritime Augmented Guidance with Integrated Controls for Carrier Approach and Recovery Precision Enabling Technologies

Go ahead, google it you cuck.
>>
>>30595991
>Your acronyms suck.

I'm just NCO so I haven't been trained to create acronyms at staff officer course.
>>
Iraq Insurgents were stacking 5-6 anti tank mines and placing them under the road, or using hundreds of pounds of what ever explosive they could get their hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SIBSGel314

You can't protect against this.
>>
An IED can be a 1000lb bomb, the only limit is imagination and size for concealment. Armor always loses against arms.
>>
>>30595963
underrated post, perhaps it will also have 5 stiched-feed cameras too so the crew can see everything :^)))
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.