[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real, legitimate data on how much capacity is enough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: capacity.jpg (52 KB, 634x475) Image search: [Google]
capacity.jpg
52 KB, 634x475
Is there any real, legitimate data on how much capacity is enough? Say, for example a bell curve distribution of how many rounds are used in a gunfight, with corrections made for spray and pray.
>>
There have been a few studies that concluded that most defense situations end without a shot being fired and that most of those that do have gunfire end in 1-2 shots.

In essence, for 99% of SD situations, a derringer has enough capacity.
>>
When the stakes are your ass, "enough" is a meaningless term.

The question is what the maximum amount of safety you can feasibly have is.
>>
Rule of 3
>>
>>30588646
Yes.

I don't have it right now, but here's what you need:

2 shots.
>>
>>30588794
But then there is that just in case where I would like to have more rounds than my post number to truly feel safe.
>>
>>30588803
With the above post, it sure sounds like it's better to have higher chances in the 99% range then the 1% range. In that case, wouldn't a powerful revolver be more effective then a lotta 9mm?

And if more is better, why not .22?
>>
>>30588803
>When the stakes are your ass, "enough" is a meaningless term.
No, it isn't meaningless. It just depends on your level of risk aversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66TPHy5lJw
>>
>>30588829
The theory being that rounds like 9mm maximize the needs of shot placement, capacity and terminal ballistics in a handgun.

Or at least that's the conclusion the FBI came to.
>>
>>30588856
How does 9mm maximize shot placment? It's no more accurate than any other handgun round.
>>
>>30588856
That's the FBI tho. Like the military, what soldiers carry isn't quite the best for home defence, likewise using "what's best when you have to follow rules that don't apply in home invasions" seem silly, yeah?

What does an off duty/retired FBI guy use for home defence is more applicable then what does the FBI use for anything but home defence
>>
>>30588646
A few weeks ago someone posted a study of data compiled from years of those "armed citizen" columns in america's first freedom magazine.
IIRC in short they found that caliber made little to no difference and the vast majority of confrontations ended in two shots or less being fired. The ones that were more were almost always a case of the shooter mag dumping until all his ammunition was expended.
>>
>>30588646
Well..... The nypd has a hit rate of around 18% of rounds fired.

A one shot kill is rare. Very rare.
Many times it take 3 or more shots to get the job done.

So.... Lets say your as accurate as a nypd cop. Let say your being attacked by 2 men. Let say you get the job done with 3 rounds to each.

You will need a 30 round magazine.

Funny that the ar15 comes with a 30rd mag as standard. And many pistols now have 15 round magazines, so expect 1 kill per mag dump.

>>
>>30588646
You should carry as much as possible to the point it does not start to impede and deminish fighting and/or general ability
>>
>>30591597
>comparing handgun data to rifle
>>
>>30591821
This is the only correct answer. There is some magic number.
>>
>>30591864
>isn't
>is not
I forgot the negative there.
>>
If you're expecting a gunfight, you should have a carbine.

If you're using a service pistol or like carrying a larger gun concealed, I would say 15 is the bare minumum.
>>30588794

>There have been a few studies that concluded that most defense situations end without a shot being fired and that most of those that do have gunfire end in 1-2 shots.

And in a lot of studies, it shows that nearly 90% of the population in the US will never have to use a firearm to defend themselves in a self defense situation.

You prepare for worst case scenario, statistics don't mean shit.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.