[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Le Knife Fight Maymay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
25 KB, 480x360
Question: can anyone point to any statistic on how often knives are actually used by soldiers in a combat situation? I'm talking sidearm knives, not bayonets.

I've searched a while and found nothing. I'd assume almost every soldier uses his knife as a tool now and then. There was a gay ass knife thread earlier, but the question seems unanswered - how likely is it that you would actually find a knife useful in combat?
>>
Let off some steam, Bennet
>>
File: KKT-Knife-fighting-training[1].jpg (66 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
KKT-Knife-fighting-training[1].jpg
66 KB, 600x432
>>30585911

If you put a cap on your carry weight and chose between an extra mag and a combat knife, I'm guessing it's like 50x more likely that you'd need the extra mag in a fight, but does anyone know how actually useful knives are in combat?
>>
>>30585935
I came here to say this
>>
In case you can't tell I'm pretty solidly in the camp of thought that knives are shitty weapons, absolutely inferior to anything you could purposefully carry and probably inferior to anything you could pick up off the ground in most contexts.

Also I just read http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

and I think he had some good points, particularly that there's no such thing as a knife fighting expert because no one ever gets in more than one or two knife fights. All the "experts" have at the most sparred with fakes and read some crime scene reports - that's like a kid that reads war books and plays with airsoft claiming to be an oper8or.
>>
>>30585911
US Infantry aren't even issued a knife that's not the bayonet.

Many of us (nearly all) purchase our own. In my case I just used my multi-tool knife. I think I'd rather rifle butt some nigs before fumbling with my pliers in a combat situation.
>>
>>30586046
This. There is no such thing as knife fight, there is "more or less accidentaly succesfully hitting that other motherfucker with whatever pointy or blunt shit I had on hand at the time we collided".
>>
>>30586046
>no such thing as a knife fighting expert because no one ever gets in more than one or two knife fights.

There is probably that one guy that got in like 10+ knife fights in their life.
>>
>>30585911
Gurhka's still chop the shit out of people with their Kukris.

That's really about it.
>>
>>30587483

Gurkhas also get in firefights, use all their ammo and whack people with the tripod of GPMG
>>
>>30587433
>There is no such thing as knife fight

True, it's more like there's the one guy that whipped his knife out and bum rushed the unsuspecting dude, and there's the other guy, he's dead. Two guys getting knives out and walking up to each other and engaging? Maybe you see that in some crazy Arab honor culture, not in the west.
>>
>>30586001
Those guys have pretty scrawny arms.
>>
File: 1453684201750.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1453684201750.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>30585911
Just carry a extra magazine.
>>
Only use for a knife is quiet killing. Come from behind. Cover mouth. Stab or slit throat.
>>
>>30585935
Fpbp
>>
>>30587849

>Implying that ballerina move is a legit and real stab someone wanting to kill you would pull off

0 respect for those two faggotlords and their roleplay
>>
Knives are tools with very limited application in any combat scenario that's not using a bayonet.
>>
>>30589254

But that's wrong you memefriend

That's why daggers and pointy knives are still in demand
>>
>>30587939

>Stab or slit throat.

Confirmed for not military
>>
>>30589278

Nah, you're just a faggot.
>>
>>30589293

Exactly my point.

Only sub-par scummy people think raunchy bayonets are cool meme weapons

I didnt expect much or anything at all from you really
>>
>>30589309

Bayonets are fucking gay, too. Knives are only used by roleplayers for anything besides opening boxes nowadays.

Don't be a retard, summerfag.
>>
>>30587516
>(((((people)))))
>>
File: 300px-CombatKnives.jpg (40 KB, 300x401) Image search: [Google]
300px-CombatKnives.jpg
40 KB, 300x401
>>30585911
>>30589254
>>30589309
>>30589327
>>30586046
>>30586046
>>30586115
>>30587433

>inb4 hurr durr wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_knife

Knives aren't for dueling or for "self defense" they're for killing people.

It's like you all forget how "new" firearms are in respect to human history. Hell, in WWII they were perfected, as far as the perfect knife for getting in-between ribs without sticking.

Now even guns are cheap and plentiful so most people don't have an excuse not to carry BUT if you didn't have a gun, or if you're in some 3rd world shithole, or in prison, and you needed to kill someone, stabbing them would still be the quickest/easiest way to do it.

As far as how often they're used by soldiers in combat now, considering we're using drones and robots to kill people, I'm guessing the discussion will soon turn to how often firefights are going to happen after 2016.
>>
>>30589563
Your mom is a slut. Dont talk to me.
>>
>>30586046
>absolutely inferior to anything you could purposefully carry and probably inferior to anything you could pick up off the ground in most contexts.

If you were looking to pick up something off the ground, assuming it's not a rock, it would probably be used to stab someone.

I just wanted to make sure you realized how fucking retarded your "smug and superior" tone is.
>>
>>30587849
it thought the bend-over backward shot was funnier
>>
>>30589563

>all that garbage

Yes, knives are useful if you have no other choice, as stated in your retarded scenario that doesn't apply to OP's question.

Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>30587692
I think pic predates HGH and steroids and eating 5 trillion calories a day to stay fuckhuge.
>>
File: commando_training.jpg (53 KB, 703x793) Image search: [Google]
commando_training.jpg
53 KB, 703x793
>>30589291
Confirmed for uninformed rube.
>>
>>30587692
Yeah, well, it's not like the 40's were known for breeding a whole lot of /fit/izens.

Fun fact: The "benchpress" only ever really became popular some 50 or so years ago. Most people at the time cared more about body symmetry and meme-tier Weighted Indian Clubs than raw physical strength. Their idea of A E S T H E T I C S were far different from our standards today. It still makes the two guys in that one anon's pic skelly DYEL lanklets though; even by their time's standards.
>>
>>30586046
You might want to read up on the history of the FS knife and its development before you open your noise hole again.
>>
>Primary usage of issued knife: rock or something
>secondary usage of issued knife: hammering shit
>>
>>30589741
FS are not for fighting, they are for killing. There is a distinct difference.
>>
>>30589563
>stabbing them would still be the quickest/easiest way to do it

Your knife vs my baseball bat/comparable blunt striking object.
>>
File: melee_bot.jpg (199 KB, 820x615) Image search: [Google]
melee_bot.jpg
199 KB, 820x615
>>30585911
>Question: can anyone point to any statistic on how often knives are actually used by soldiers in a combat situation?

Not that I know of. The military doesn't really record kill counts in the way people think they do, and they really don't break it down to such a granular level and keep a running database of kills.

The closet you will get is the occasional news story of a knife kill.

But the fact that a kill with a knife is interesting enough to warrant it's own news story should point to how rare of an event it is. From experience, I can tell you that knife kills are rare as fuck.

I'd say a lot of soldiers don't even carry knives aside from small utility folders. My unit often carried medium sized fixed blades or bayonets, but they were meant primarily as utility knives to serve as digging and prying tools. The idea of a knife fight is a unicorn in modern combat.

>>30589563
You went on a weird tangent. The OP asked about how often it happens with soldiers, and the answer is not often. In the context of modern soldiering, the rare kill with a knife is most often seen in individual self defense, when a soldier finds themselves separated and basically bumps into an enemy in close quarters and finds themselves either without a weapon, or their weapon is pinned. This is, I must again stress, a rare occurrence brought about by unusual circumstances.

People that carry dedicated "fighting knives" in the military tend to go for very small fixed blade knives in quick access sheaths.

None of this is to say that training for hand-to-hand or knife fighting isn't useful. Preparing for a wide variety of situations is extremely useful, no matter unlikely they are to happen.
>>
>>30585911

Not much. Only time I ever used a knife was to open boxes or cut packing straps.

I used my Leatherman more than anything.

If on ops I would carry my Cold Steel Outdoorsman (only because my fudd father in lawe gave it too me and made me promise to carry it "... as a last resort.") To tell the truth I was more worried about dropping it somewhere getting in and out of vehicles.
>>
This is only semi related, but /k/ g a s had discussions on the 21 foot rule before and what the best method of defense against a knife attack is so I think this is relevant.
https://youtu.be/Q9pbQclU9JM
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 600x448
>>30586001
>>30586001
Honestly something like the SOCP knife makes sense if you're going to going into a lot of houses or buildings. Weighs nothing, minimal bulk, easy to get in the fight , hard to have some asshole snatch it off your plate carrier if you get into a grapple, gives you an advantage in H2H while not getting in the way when you get room to use an a much better weapon. No it isn't a samurai sword, but it could give you the edge you need in a pinch.
>>
>>30585911
> there was a gay ass knife thread earlier
> makes an even gayer thread

you serious faggot.. for real ? You even understand what youre asking ? How often to soldiers get into hand to hand combat.. yeah.. no..
>>
>>30589950
>malfunction
>tap magazine on instinct
>>
>>30589563
>BUT if you didn't have a gun, or if you're in some 3rd world shithole, or in prison, and you needed to kill someone, stabbing them would still be the quickest/easiest way to do it.

So if you are in a setting where you can literally get your hands on nothing less shitty than a knife, and all the furniture is bolted down, knives become useful. Golly thanks, I kinda figured that already.
>>
>>30590217
Yeah that could go bad. I think that was more of a you can draw your weapon with the knife still in your hand if you have to. Draw the knife with your off hand though if possible and you can manipulate your pistol or rifle fairly well. At the least you can far more easily do so than with most other knives I'm aware of. Not perfect but not terrible either.
>>
>>30589741
>guys I have no idea of the answer to the question under discussion, but pls read the history of my faggy meme knife, I am butthurt from the other thred k
>>
>>30590021
It's a simple question. And all you could do was bullshit and not answer it.

Go fap to your knife fantasies babby.
>>
>>30587469
and that guy is luke holloway and fred mastro
>>
>>30589854
>From experience, I can tell you that knife kills are rare as fuck.

Thanks, that's my suspicion, just couldn't back it up.
>>
>>30587849
>>30589250
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE

Related
>>
>>30589278
No, it's because meme-susceptible kids believe the hype.

Katanas are still in demand. Oh wait, you must think that those are useful too.
>>
>>30590392
I've dicked around with a finger ring knife and a pistol before. Right hand is unusable, left hand is usable and you can manipulate the gun but you won't get any extra grip if you try to place the left hand on the pistol
>>
>>30590593
They are. As a combat tool. And maybe a weed-whacker. But a good katana really is a display piece.
>>
There was that bayonet charge by Brits early on in Iraq that fucked up some insurgents.
>>
>>30590593

Someone near me killed 3 home invaders with a katana

He was an Iadio student, so yeah, he practiced
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.