[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Gun - AR-15
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
Maybe it's just mass paranoia, but I amd feel reasonably sure that a shit hits the fan scenario is going to happen in the next few years. So with that being said, and all the small happenings happening lately, I want to purchase a gun. I've never owned a gun, and the only one I have ever shot was a .22 rifle, that was a few years back and I literally only shot one bullet. Anyways, I want to purchase an AR-15 as my first gun. Some people may say that's a mistake but my mind is set on that and I want to become pretty darn proficient with it. I'm not an idiot and have quite a bit of common sense, also I'm a huge military history buff n such and love studying weapons and tactics, so I feel like I would an AR well as my first gun.

Anyways, I was kinda going off in space there for minute. What are some good tips and tricks, or just general feedback or comments about AR-15s for new gun owners? Any opinions or fun facts are appreciated, just no shit posting or trying to sway me to purchase something else.
>>
>>30580679
Research before you buy.
Know your Federal and local gun laws.
Do NOT get a .223-only barrel.
Get plenty of magazines - at least four but there's never too many.
Keep it basic to start with, don't buy any add-on accessories unless experience shows you that you actually have a need for them.
Find yourself a good source for cheap, reliable ammo.
Practice practice practice
>>
>>30580711
>>30580679
Oh and learn how to adjust your sights to zero! The first thing you should do when taking the rifle out to the range is to tweak the sights until your bullets are hitting in three-shot groups right where the sights point at 25 meters.
>>
>>30580679
Knowledge is power here. Do your research, make smart decisions. Never, ever trust one source. Everyone's got bias (especially here)

On a personal opinion note, a fighting rifle needs 3 things, nothing more:
Sling
Sights (be it red dot, scope, or just irons)
A light (I'll get called a tacticool wannabe, but having a light may be the difference between shooting the right person or the wrong one. Big difference)

Best of luck OP
>>
>>30580751
Agreed but it's 4 things: good quality magazines.
I suppose you can call them a consumable like ammo, but they're individually just expensive enough that I wouldn't, especially as so many people fuck themselves by using shitty ones.
>>
>>30580711
If it helps, I live in Idaho. Which is good cause we barely have any gun laws! But yeah mags and zeroing are definitely important I've learned. I was going to purchase an aimpoint or red dot of some sort. Btw when it comes to optics, what is the best kind to keep on an AR for general purpose? Like is it better to have a magnified scope or just a red dot, what's more useful? Or how about the holographic sights with an adjustable magnifier, how are those? I know I need to practice with iron sights but just curious
>>
>>30580751
I'm drunk so I forgot one thing:
Stay away from "budget brands", whether you're buying or building.

In most cases paying a bit more gets you a massive return on investment in terms of worrying about whether or not your weapon works.

Sorry to spam. Again, best of luck.
>>
>>30580751
Yeah i definitely want a light for it, and a grip. I keep forgetting about slings lel.
>>
>>30580787
Would a $600 AR be an ok rifle? I'll upgrade it from there of course over time.
>>
>>30580679
Make sure you know how to clean the gun and have the appropriate items to do so. Clean your rifle after every shooting session.
>Rod
>Bore brush
>Patch attachment doohickey (either a loop or a corkscrew)
>Cleaning patches
>Solvent
>Oil
>Some paper towels
Strip the gun apart, taking the indivicual working pieces down (the manual should show you exactly how). Screw the brush onto the rod, dip it in solvent, and run it all the way through the barrel several times. This scrubs and loosens powder residue and jacket fouling. Let it sit for a little bit, and while it soaks, use a patch or bit of paper towel dipped in more solvent to scrub down the interior bits that have gunk on them, Then wipe them clean, go back to the barrel, and start running patches down it using the rod and patch doohickey - scrub all the solvent and gunk out using several patches until your patches are coming through clean and white. Go back and make sure that you've got all the gunk out of every piece of the gun and everything's wiped down and dry. Then the last step is to put a little oil - not too much, just enough to make a nice layer- on all the parts, especially contact areas - but NOT inside the barrel or gas tube. Then put everything back together, fucntion-test it, and wipe off any oil that it spits out while doing so.
That's how you clean your rifle, pretty much.
>>
>>30580784
The current trend is a quality 1-4x or 1-6x scope ($400+) that has an illuminated red dot in the center. Pretty much gives you the best of both worlds as far as CQC and out to 200-300yds goes. May or may not have a tiny holographic red dot mounted on the gun too, though you see that more with dedicated 4x sights like the ACOG.

Here's a couple useful articles on the subject:
>http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=1109
>http://www.thenewrifleman.com/variable-optics-for-your-ar15-a-buyers-guide/
>>
>>30580817
In my opinion anything you could find for $600 would be a POS (ie. delton, dpms).

Maybe some folks disagree.
I think the general consensus is that Palmetto State is the best value for an AR that works

I personally like BCM for outstanding QC and customer service. But pricey though.
>>
>>30580834
>>30580858
Thanks guys!
>>
>>30580817
Buy once, cry once. I wish I'd learned that earlier. Better to wait just a little bit for this current scare to abate anyways.
>>
>>30580873
I found a smith & wessen for $600, also a colt for $650 so those would be bad rifles? Why?
>>
File: 1404377387002.jpg (11 KB, 314x313) Image search: [Google]
1404377387002.jpg
11 KB, 314x313
>>30580724
>Zeroing your rifle at 25 meters
Nigga, what? Zero a handgun for 25 meters, your rifle should be zero'd at 100 meters
>>
>>30580904
Oh, my bad, I didnt realize you could find Colt 6920s or Smith and Wesson Sports for $600 anymore.

Yeah, in my opinion they're good to go rifles.
>>
>>30580917
In a 5.56 rifle a 50 yard zero gives you the flattest trajectory for the longest distance. Friendo
>>
>>30580890
Sure. Other stuff on both of those sites is very useful, I recommend reading other stuff they have.

Here's a couple other good links with quality reading material:
>Scientific comparisons and testing
>luckygunner.com
>www.vuurwapenblog.com

>Ammo
>ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

>Buy ammo
>gunbot.net
>ammoseek.com

As far as gunlights go, if you want to buy once cry once you get a Surefire. Nothing else (flashaholic here, I mean it). They aren't cheap either. They are the best and they're worth saving for.
>>
>>30580918
The smith and wesson didn't seem too bad, it comes with a grip as well. Also like I said, I will upgrade the parts from there. Not everything is going to be stock after a while of owning it.
>>
File: M16A2_-_AM.016070.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1122) Image search: [Google]
M16A2_-_AM.016070.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1122
>>30580784
Coeur D'Alene asshole here, where in Idaho you at?
>>
>>30580993
Boise, yoooooooooooooo!!!
>>
>>30580892
>this current scare
It will only stay the same or get worse, friend.
>>
>>30580973
One thing to consider:
Every time you replace something on a rifle you've bought, you've paid for it twice.

That's why I like building, but only you can decide which route is best for you.
>>
>>30581157
Idk how to build a rifle
>>
>>30580917
>Zero a handgun
Why even mention this when 90% of handguns have non-adjustable sights?
>>
>>30581177
google it. it's easy, all you need to do to make it happen is start googling a tiny bit. I don't mean "a tiny bit" in a sarcastic way. I mean you google it and click on like two or three links, and you already know how to build an entire ar15. it's very easy
>>
>>30581177
Like I said, knowledge is power. Do a bit of research and all will become clear.

If I can build a functioning AR, anyone can. Seriously, it's a beautifully simple design.
>>
>>30581177
you mostly only need hand tools to build an AR-15

if you want to change barrel on an upper receiver you need a torque wrench and a way to hold the locking lugs so you don't screw it up

like a magpul offering or a geissele reaction rod

for the rest you need an armorer's wrench and small hand tools like screwdrivers and a roll pin punch
>>
>>30581206
Shit, drunk and forgot stuff again.

My recommendation would be to buy an upper with a barrel.
Installing the barrel/gas tube is the only thing on the rifle you can't install with normal tools.
>>
>>30580834
What cleaner and oil? hoppe's 9, clp?
>>
>>30581208
You don't need the part specific tools if you're somewhat handy and don't care about the finish on the gun. If I built lowers to sell them I'd use it, but after I built a lower with channel locks, a strip of rubber, a ball point pen, and a pair of needle nose pliers I can say if you're okay with the lower not looking amazing save the money you'd spend on tools and put it towards ammo or mags.
>>
>>30581315
>I built a lower with channel locks, a strip of rubber, a ball point pen, and a pair of needle nose pliers

It's shit like this that keeps me coming back to /k/ even though I don't own a firearm.

That said, there's some niggling bit of my brain that is insistent happenings are coming, and I'm probably going to take the leap soon.

I have some experience shooting, especially with shotguns as I had an uncle I'd go bird hunting and trap shooting with growing up. I'm considering building an AR for my first firearm. Is that too big of a task for an absolute newbie? Or would it be a good way of familiarizing myself with maintenance and functionality that you just don't get buying pre-built?
>>
>>30581188
Don't be a pistolist anon, #adjustablesightsmatter
>>
>>30581369
I'm the guy you green texted and if you've ever worked on something with small moving parts with basic tools you're more than qualified to build a lower. I don't touch uppers because that requires real tools and that's the part that explodes and fucks your shit if you did it wrong.
I just bought the lower and parts kit as a DIY project, made a Facebook post about it because I try and post something once a month to remind my extended family I'm not dead. I had about 10 people that live near me ask to help them build a lower because they don't want to buy Cabela's ARs again.

And, as a former guide and avid bird hunter you should keep in touch with that guy if you're concerned about happenings. Food will be easier to find than ammo if you're good at it. And there won't be game wardens up your ass for spreading deer corn in a rural pond or spamming bird seed all over a pasture.
>>
>>30581432

Sadly, he passed. I inherited his cabin after an eight month long legal struggle (his biological son and only direct descendant is a three-time convicted felon who he formally disowned in every possible way, still challenged the specific statement in my uncle's will which left me his property), and have been spending a lot of time up there as of late. I've already had the revelation that I'm a good deal happier up in the hills than I am in the city, I suppose I'm just gradually going through the steps of a born and bred urbanite converting to a different lifestyle. Political strife is just moving me along more quickly.

Think I'll try the build. Been doing my due diligence and researching everything I can find, figure if I'm going to do a job I ought to do it proper.
>>
>>30580679
>shit hits the fan scenario is going to happen in the next few years.
Next few months anon.

Lots of good advice in this thread. An AR is not a bad starter gun. Just always keep in the back of your mind that an AR is a relatively low recoil weapon.
>>
>>30581225
I use Hoppes solvent and oil, but there's a lot that works.
>>
>>30581465
>(his biological son and only direct descendant is a three-time convicted felon who he formally disowned in every possible way, still challenged the specific statement in my uncle's will which left me his property)
Aren't inheritances lovely?
>>
>>30581157
But in the end, you have almost enougg parts to put together a nice backup or playtime rifle so it works out imo
>>
>>30580711
THIS!
get TONS of magazines. In case of a hitlary and high capacity killing clips are banned you can sell a 30 dollar quality magazine for 150 bucks. Supply and demand
>>
>>30580904
That's a great price for a colt.
>>
>>30581188
>when 90% of handguns have non-adjustable sights?

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: wm_8174191.jpg (184 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
wm_8174191.jpg
184 KB, 1600x1200
>>30580679
Dude just get a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 II. They are great basic AR-15's and now come with dust covers and forward assists which they didnt before. You can get one for like $600 and you will be set.

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.smith-and-wesson-10202-mp15-sport-ii-556-223-sw-022188868104-1047
>>
>>30584313
I second this motion. Not my first pick, but still a gtg rifle.
>>
>>30584234

What mags shoult I stock up on? P-Mag, Lancer, Aluminum GI, Steel GI?
>>
>>30580927
Was gonna say this myself. Is there charts on this though?
>>
>>30584588
Pmags Pmags Pmags Pmags.

GI mags too, but only if they have magpul followers. Which makes them cost about the same as pmags, just less durable.

So again, Pmags Pmags Pmags. The Gen 2s are gtg and a bit cheaper than the gen 3s.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-5-56-30-round-mag571-br-all-colors.html
>>
If I want to have a suppressor on my AR with seemless transition from upper to suppressor what upper/barrel/ suppressor should I buy? I want to ding out to 500 yards
>>
File: AR15Zero.jpg (44 KB, 639x478) Image search: [Google]
AR15Zero.jpg
44 KB, 639x478
>>30584807
Sorry for the two in a row, didnt see your question.
Pic related
>>
File: AR50Zero.jpg (27 KB, 960x175) Image search: [Google]
AR50Zero.jpg
27 KB, 960x175
>>30584828
Also this
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-05-22-05-59.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-05-22-05-59.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>30584827
Like in this
>>
>>30584844
The suppressor doesnt appear to be attached any differently.

It appears happens that the handguard extends to where the suppressor begins.
>>
>>30584857
*It just happens

Im a tard
>>
>>30584857
Alright. I don't know anything about suppressors and I've never built an AR before.
>>
>>30584869
Suppressors are sweet, but they're pricey and shouldnt be a priority.
Get the rifle squared away in other areas first.

Just my opinion.
>>
>>30584808
>just less durable.

Having deployed with both, I would disagree.

Pmags are the darling of gear-queers and armchair moron label types, and they're pretty good, but they're not any better than good GI mags and in some ways they are worse.

The best bet for longevity and durability would be stainless body GI mags like the C-products stainless mags or E-lander mags. If you dent it, you can bend it back out. You can paint it, etc at will.

Pmags, meanwhile, look cool and generally work well but if they get smacked hard enough they just shatter. They like to spit out ammo if they're dropped without their stupid little cover on.
They bake and degrade in the sun and become brittle, which leads to damaged feed lips and other shit happening much more easily. Over the long haul this will happy as the polymer degrades with time.

Lancer mags are pretty nice but I feel they're over-rated.

Troy mags can be usually found cheaper than Pmags and in my experience they work every bit as well.

The best advice really is buy 2-3 of each and decide for yourself.
>>
>>30581486
Yeah OP, what this guy said.

You want a rifle with ALOT of recoil and noise. I'd look into maybe a 308 pistol at least. Remember the louder and harder the gun kicks, the more damage it does. Plus it counts as a sidearm so your primary weapon slot is still open for a sniper rifle.
>>
>>30584899
>gear-queers and armchair moron label types
"anybody who likes what I dont like is an idiot"

>Pmags shatter
>Bake in the sun and become brittle.
Bullshit. Do some google-foo and you can find some pretty cool Pmag torture tests.
>They spit out ammo
Yeah, every magazine ever does that.
>If you dent it, you can bend it back out.
Possible. Just a pain in the ass to defuckulate an aluminum mag.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're full of shit or misinformed there, dude.
>>
>>30585012
I've also never seen troy mags cheaper than gen two mags.

They're not radically more expensive, and from what I understand they're still gtg. Just never seen em cheaper.
>>
>>30581177
It's easy as fuck. I did a ton of research, I was a poorfag college student at the time, and I ended up deciding to build a rifle instead of buying one. I saved up, waited for sales, and built a pretty damn nice rifle for half the price it would have cost to simply buy a complete rifle.

You get the added benefit of really knowing your entire weapon system and how it all works. Which, if you want a rifle for STHF, would be incredibly useful and valuable. A lot of people lack the necessary knowledge to do anything more advanced than a basic field strip. Don't be that guy.

Also you can literally learn how to build it step by step on youtube for your first build. It's pretty easy and you don't really need a ton of tools. A basic punch set, an AR wrench, and a couple other useful doodads like a vise and magazine well clamp are all you really need.

If you are willing to take the time now, just build a rifle. If you're panic buying, then look to spend around 800 for a decent rifle and then consider buying a few 80% lower receivers so you have them should you ever want to build a custom rifle/want to have unserialized guns for your personal use.
>>
File: TCTU.gif (383 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TCTU.gif
383 KB, 1280x720
>>30585108
Agreed
>>
Went to buy my first lower the other day. Gun store was having a sale, 3 for $150. So I bought three
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.