[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M1 Garand Relevance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: NSM1-600.jpg (28 KB, 600x140) Image search: [Google]
NSM1-600.jpg
28 KB, 600x140
How well does the M1 Garand hold up today? I don't necessarily mean in a strictly military context, but as a rifle in the hands of a citizen.

A 'one gun', if you will, and this question is full spectrum. Durability, accuracy, simplicity, gas system, etc.

Is it fundamentally outdated? Are there rifles which are hands down superior in most if not all respects?
>>
>>30573748
M1 Carbine is so much better for the money
>>
>>30573774

Well sure, but the Garand can easily take out large game.. So it better fulfills the requirement of 'one rifle'.
>>
They don't eat modern .30-06 very well. Something about the higher-pressured ammo beating up the op-rod.

You'd have to buy an adjustable gas plug to feed it anything besides M2 ball. The lack of versatility isn't something you'd want out of a "one gun".
>>
>>30573793
You can't shoot the hot hunting loads without changing some gas system parts.
>>
>>30573748
>Are there rifles which are hands down superior in most if not all respects?
Yes. The M14, G3 and FAL all outclass them with just a handful more years of development. Modern 308 rifles like the upper end AR10s and the SCAR outclass those.

Buy a scar if you want one 308 rifle to rule them all
Buy a PTR91 if you want one 308 rifle to rule them all but youre on a budget
>>
>>30573985
>>SCAR

Eh.. That fragile polymer mess of a rifle isn't what I'd call highly durable one gun for a citizen. FFS it even has a reciprocating charging handle, even the FAL managed to avoid that decades ago.
>>
Thai & Burmese armies and Israeli Civil Guard militia still use Garands. Pure gunkino
>>
>>30573985
This.

The whole reason the M14 came around is because they liked the Garand, but needed it to shoot the new NATO cartridge, have a 20 round magazine, and have select fire capability.
>>
>>30573748
In my opinion there are now "better" guns out there, but the Garand is still one hell of a good rifle. The M14 has an edge on account being box mag fed, though I am not certain what differences exist between the M14 and the M1A. I've fired the M1A (and the Garand) and can say both of them are fucking sex. Can you do better than a Garand? Yes. Are you going to feel under-armed with the Garand. Not likely.
>>
>>30573973
it's a single $40 part that needs changed once to shoot commercial spec ammo
>>
File: giphy.gif (924 KB, 500x188) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
924 KB, 500x188
>>30573748
if you have to ask, you dont deserve one. now see pic related.
>>
>>30574029
SOCOM specifically requested a reciprocating charging handle.

Why do so many people bitch about this?
>>
>>30574029
>That fragile polymer mess of a rifle isn't what I'd call highly durable one gun for a citizen
If you must have it bomb proof then replace the lower with a metal one and the stock with a buffertube
>FFS it even has a reciprocating charging handle
Forward assist and ensuring rounds go into battery
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.