[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OnnaRail for SHTF?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 20
Considering you won't have to worry about trains for an EMP situation, how efficient would a handcar be compared to other modes of transportation?

>Cuts straight through the land
>Don't need to worry about steering
>Steam engines don't need electricity
>>
>>30558709
looks like a fun way to spend your last days.

only problem i can think of is peoples tendency to follow roads and rail when trying to get from point a to b
>>
File: images (3).jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>30558709
Looks like a fast and efficient means of transportation.Just hope you plan your route accordingly and not over pack the amount of stuff you wanna carry with you incase of bandits or other sub human gorillas. They make a device called a rail bike for an easier way to use whats on hand instead of an iron trolly
>>
>>30558709
Watch out for diesel powered railtrucks, they sneak up behind and will roll over your ass
>>
>>30558768

I agree with this.

A bicycle is one of the most efficient ways to move around in terms of calories expended for distance. Survival is a lazy man's game.

But then your issues with railroad tracks come into play:

Most everyone knows about them in their own areas, and they're usually clear cut for a good distance around them (good and bad).
>>
>>there will be no trains or rolling stock left blocking the rails, the thread
>>emp confirmed for magical teleportation of all obstacles from rails
>>
>>30558709
Once again for the retards in the back

EMPS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.
FUCK OFF
>>
>>30558847
Then how do they work, anon?
Enlighten us, please.
>>
>>30558977
you know when you put a fork in the microwave and you see electricity arc over it?

atomic bombs release electromagnetic radiation
waves of said energy wash over metal circuits and cause electricity to fuck them up

most modern trains have a shitload of computers operating them
>>
>>30559327
So you don't know.

Spoiler: EMP is weak and sharply peaked, so it needs a long antenna, such as miles of power line, to pick up enough energy to do anything.

Cellphones and similar isolated CPUs such as in a car or train are typically unaffected.
>>
>>30559349
Sauce on that?
>>
>>30558768
I can't believe that shit would work well. The slightest amount of play in the support and it'll be angling wrong, grabbing the rail, and jerking you to a stop like an anchor. No play, and it'll completely fuck up as soon as it comes to the slightest irregularity in the rail.

By the time you welded that shit all to your bicycle and clattered along the fucking railroad track on it, you'd probably be about 3 days behind the non-retards who just road their bikes on a back road.
>>
>>30559502

Also, you get all your gear strapped to your bicycle. Food, guns, ammo, some goodies like morphine and antibiotics, your firestarter, tent...you ridin down the railroad track.

Up ahead you see some shifty lookin niggas sitting on the track.

Your bike doesn't have a reverse. It doesn't have a release.

You slowly peddle into their midst.

You silently hop off your bike.

You walk away and let them have all your shit because you were a big enough dumbass to strap it all to something that was stuck to a fucking railroad track and couldn't turn.
>>
>>30559439
Electromagnetic physics 101.

I suggest looking up the actual EM components for yourself, the Congressional commissioned report will have them, FAS probably does, it's open source nigga.
>>
>>30559538

But comrade, that's what you have your MG 42 mounted on to your handlebar. Hitlersäge auf dem Fahrrad, mein Freund.
>>
>>30558709
>some faggot ass bandit sees you coming from a mile off
>shoots you
>sodomizes your bleeding body, literally fucking the life out of you

or, if onna train,

>faggot ass bandit hears a fuckloud sound that he hasn't heard since before the happening started
>"Oh shit, is that a train?"
>fucks with the tracks ahead of you
>climbs inside the wreckage to find your bleeding body
>literally fucks the life out of you
>>
>>30559578
>>fucks with the tracks ahead of you
Do you have any idea how inbelievably hard it is to mess with train tracks?
>>
>>30559679
To fuck with rails?

Extremely hard, takes hours.

To lay something across rails big enough to fuck with one of these bikes?

'bout twenty seconds probably.
>>
>>30559679
park a car/tree on them
>>
>>30559697
>To lay something across rails big enough to fuck with one of these bikes?
That shit won't stop a train

>>30559700
That shit won't stop a train.
>>
>>30559578

Charlie sees you coming, sits in the bushes, and shoves a stick through your spokes as you pedal squeakily by.

>jokes on him, he just robbed you of a shitty useless railroad track bike.
>>
>>30559679

About as hard as mixing iron oxide and aluminium powder into a can, placing it on the rail and igniting it with a magnesium strip. A child could do it. Just melt that fucker away.
>>
>>30559713
kek
>>
>>30559751
Thousands of tons of steel won't really be affected by a track that has a melted section the size of a can of soda.

I'm starting to wonder if /k/ even knows what a train is.
>>
>>30559751
I could see making small batches of the shit, but where are you going to find enough iron oxide and aluminum powder in SHTF to derail a train?

and do you know how long it would take to actually melt the tracks? You're certainly not going to have enough notice to put the thermite down, ignite it, and then let it do it's thing before the train just steam rolls right past it.
>>
>>30559766

Did you ever attend any chemistry or engineering class? Burning a fat big lump of molten iron onto a track, or burning a bump into it will severely increase the risk of derailing. Let alone just making two small cuts, cutting out a section of a few meters, which will 100% make a train derail. Use your brain, man. C'mon.
>>
>>30559751
>rail and igniting it with a magnesium strip

You fucking idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8gV4DJZUw
>>
>>30559800
>severely increase the risk of derailing.
your average train wheel grips a rail with about a quarter sized surface area. They have a risk of derailing from going too fast.

trains don't even derail from smashing into obstacles.

>cutting out a section of a few meters
You have no idea how are it is to do this.
Please try it.
Infact, go try to lift a railroad tie by yourself.
>>
>>30559799

Use Youtube. This topic has been discussed on end. You can make batches of super fine aluminium powder with ball mills, rust can be electrolyzed (especially from steel wool) or scraped off shit. Additionally, it can be bought in large quantities, found in paint shops, workshops, you name it. Have people really forgotten this thing called Google, or do they just like to shitpost?

>>30559818

That section is way too small, the carts are longer, so the overall stability is maintained. You are the idiot, just cut out a few meters and turn it over to the side, the train will fall out. Your own video shows that even a meter or so makes carts derail.
>>
>>30559851

You don't need to lift it. You cut a section of a few meters out, loosen the clamps holding it on the planks, throw it over to the side and you're done. Common sense isn't common.
>>
>>30559800
do you wanna know just how hard the steel is that they use on tracks?

People use it as anvils. You could be there for weeks trying to hack through it with hand tools.
You also act like thermite or it's ingredients are going to be common place in SHTF. How else would you melt a chunk of iron on there? in SHTF you'd most likely have to rely on chemical reactions to do something like that. especially out in the field.

Why the fuck are we arguing about how to derail a train in SHTF scenario anyway? This is retarded.
>>
File: 4dc.gif (650 KB, 598x444) Image search: [Google]
4dc.gif
650 KB, 598x444
well this summarizes this thread
>>
>>30559751
If you're fucking around with thermite you'd do far better trying to build up a derailer with it than melting away a few inches of track, trains ignore gaps of a few inches all day every day. But even then you're not hugely likely to get anything useful if trying to react to something approaching.

If you have very limited time then best you can do is put something heavy and low across the rails, a decent sized tree might do and could potentially be chainsawed into place quickly. Higher objects are very likely to get pushed out of the way before they get to the leading wheels until you get to truck sized shit that will fuck up the whole driving cab on impact. If you aren't time limited and just want to fuck with tracks on the off chance something comes by then you chop out a section on a bend at your leisure and enjoy looting should anything come by.
>>
>>30559857

>just cut out a few meters of track
>a few meters of track
>just
>>
>>30559877
>You don't need to lift it.
you won't be able to do anything with it otherwise.

>You cut a section of a few meters out
This will take hours, and the rails are held to the ties. Both the rails and ties are heavy as shit.

>loosen the clamps holding it on the planks
kek good actual fucking luck.

These things are designed to hold tens of thousands of tons one something no wider than a soda bottle. What's going through your mind that would make you think this would possibly be easy?
>>
>>30559799
>where are you going to find enough iron oxide and aluminum powder in SHTF to derail a train?
>>30559857
>proceeds to list things that are not available in SHTF
>USE YOUTUBE!
>JUST GO ONLINE!
>JUST BUY THEM AT THE STORE!

>proceeds to call me a shitposter

in SHTF do you really think you'll have the time(or resources) to gather all the materials to make this shit? You'll be more worried about food, water, and if there will be a rape gang ready to shoot you and then sodomize the remaining life out of your body.
>>
>>30559567
>FAS
Wow, I can't believe I forgot about them... their new site looks nice.
>>
>>30559880

THERMITE, YOU NIGGER. Do you even read what I write or are you just here to display how ungodly stupid you are? I just wrote how you can make huge amounts of Thermite and Youtube is full of shit like that. Go educate yourself ON THE INTERNET. How low have we sunk...

>>30559898

Not inches, METERS. You said inches, I said meters. Now you say my idea doesn't work, when it was YOUR idea and the video above shows that meters DO work. It depends on how long the distance is you can see. Implying someone is sitting on tracks waiting for something like that, he may prepare such an ambush, he may be able to look down the track with optics and see you way before you see him.

You could also just place a few kilograms of explosives on the tracks and blow it up once the train is above it, if it's just about the carts or stopping the train.

>If you have very limited time then best you can do is put something heavy

Yeah. Because lifting heavy things suddenly is easily possible in a short time frame.

>>30559911

It's regularly done in railworking for repairs, pushing over a bar of iron isn't that hard.

>>30559927

Yes, you roll it on its side so to speak, which will likely also result in it falling down hill, as most tracks are built on gravel heaps.

>This will take hours, and the rails are held to the ties. Both the rails and ties are heavy as shit.

Yes. So what?

>These things are designed to hold tens of thousands of tons one something no wider than a soda bottle. What's going through your mind that would make you think this would possibly be easy?

I didn't say it's easy, I said you can easily melt it, as 2000 degree C burn through that with ease. How exactly you manage to pull it off is your thing.

>>30559943

Nigger, do you have steel wool and aluminium foil? Then you're set. You can use scraps too, it doesn't need to be powder. If you have to worry about food and water you are not prepared and should be ashamed of your shitposting.
>>
>>30559943
>worried about a rape gang ready to shoot you and then sodomize the remaining life out of your body
>implying i would not only be a member, but also the president of such a gang
>>
File: 1467792759702.png (707 KB, 555x553) Image search: [Google]
1467792759702.png
707 KB, 555x553
>>30559997
Fuck trains I 4x4 that shit
>>
>>30559502
Railbikes are a thing
>>
>>30559993
>Yes, you roll it
Film yourself lifting a section of railroad and i'll concede otherwise you are the most retarded poster today.

>Yes. So what?
So in hypothetical shtf you expended energy and resources for literally nothing because nobody is going to do anything with trains.
>I didn't say it's easy
>>>30559751
>A child could do it.
bullshit you fucking liar.

>as 2000 degree C burn through that with ease
Trains can roll over small gaps as if it were nothing.
You don't seem to understand the physics of trains.
Derailment most often occurs with equipment error and high speeds.
Broken rails will mostly likely result in the train jumping the rails if it was going to happen which is rare.
The US can't even keep their roads maintained let alone thousands of miles of tracks in the middle of literally nowhere.
>>
>>30560014
>punching your steering wheel
>>
>>30559993
You're going to need a fuckton of steel wool and aluminum foil to do anything to a railroad track.

>place a fuel kilograms of explosives
You act like these are everyday items.

>It's regularly done in railworking for repairs, pushing over a bar of iron isn't that hard.

They have special grinders and cutters for this. They run off of electricity. are you also going to lug a generator on your back? No. You're probably going to have to rely on a chemical reaction to cut that track. and you're going to need a metric shit load of thermite or something else to do this.

>>This will take hours, and the rails are held to the ties. Both the rails and ties are heavy as shit.

>Yes. So what?

The hypothetical situation is you see a guy steamrolling through town on a train. You're not going to have enough advanced notice to fuck with the tracks to derail a train. Of course you can derail a train by fucking with the tracks if you have hours of advanced notice. Thing is you don't. and why the fuck are you going to waste your time doing this in SHTF in the off chance someone is GOING to waste THEIR time and effort getting a train running and then KEEP it running with fuel.
>>
>>30559993
>Not inches, METERS. You said inches, I said meters.

You really are one retarded goalpost-moving motherfucker, so here's the post I replied too again:
>>30559751
>About as hard as mixing iron oxide and aluminium powder into a can, placing it on the rail and igniting it with a magnesium strip. A child could do it. Just melt that fucker away.

So now you're suddenly talking about preparing and using METERS of thermite for the task? Really hope you're just trolling at this point and not genuinely so stupid. Discounting the use of resources you're up against significant time restraints unless you have a LOT of warning about your target coming. And if you have all that thermite to hand you're probably based in the area and could have sabotaged the rails more easily over time anyway.

>Yeah. Because lifting heavy things suddenly is easily possible in a short time frame.
Or you just do what I said in my first post and drop a tree onto the rails, learn to reading sometime. Or anything else that's just about as likely as having a fuckload of thermite ready to go when you realise somethings coming.
>>
>>30560090
gotta punch something when the roidrage gets hold of you.
>>
>>30560122
GMC is very punchable i suppose
>>
>>30560081
>Film yourself lifting a section of railroad and i'll concede otherwise you are the most retarded poster today.

Reading comprehension: 0. Not lifting, pushing it over.

>So in hypothetical shtf you expended energy and resources for literally nothing because nobody is going to do anything with trains.

In hypothetical SHTF you just mixed a few kilograms of metal powders into a can, put them onto a rail track, melted a section of a few meters out, fumbled or melted loose the clamps, pushed the now loose bar over so there's a nice gap and then sit on your sweet ass waiting for the accident to happen.

I don't know if you are Murifat, but you sound like this would indeed be too much labour for you. Congrats.

>bullshit you fucking liar.

A child could make thermite, yes. A braindead retarded child like you probably not, so you're right here.

>Trains can roll over small gaps as if it were nothing.

Why do you niggers always say small gaps? I explicitly stated take out a few meters. Is your reading comprehension really that shit or do you have to rely on projection in order to survive even an internet argument? Good luck in "shtf" then.

>>30560097

The total amount would be a few kgs, yes. You don't have to use steel wool though.

>You act like these are everyday items.

You are on /k/, god damnit. Fertilizers ARE everyday items. Esbit, vitamin C and hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach) ARE everyday items. Do I have to continue the list or do you start doing your research yourself?

>and you're going to need a metric shit load of thermite or something else to do this.

I don't think so. Relatively small amounts are used in demolition work too, so this is feasible if you don't fuck it up. Of course you need more than for welding them together, but not metric shit tons.

>The hypothetical situation is you see a guy steamrolling through town on a train

In that situation you are unprepared. I gave two options how to stop a train on a track.
>>
>>30559800
Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfFCaDOM3k
>>
File: GMC-TopKick_mp137_pic_64456.jpg (814 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
GMC-TopKick_mp137_pic_64456.jpg
814 KB, 1920x1440
>>30560122

>>30560134
Gotta test the durability Truck
>>
>>30559800
>Let alone just making two small cuts, cutting out a section of a few meters, which will 100% make a train derail.

>>30560114
no u. See above what I wrote. You came up with "but a small section doesn't derail trains", something I never spoke of. Fuck off.

>>30560114

How in the fuck would you measure the amount of thermite required in METERS? I was talking of meters of railroad track being cut out at to spots, then pushed out and tada, gap.

Dropping a tree is now again less work or needs less preparation? I don't think so Tim. I think you're full of shit.

>>30560165

We had this video above, it proves my point. A few meters make a train derail. It's all up to weight, length and stability of the train/carts.
>>
>>30559567
This.

Shit, your car is a fucking Faraday cage. If it wasn't then you'd hear every electrical system in the vehicle through the goddamn radio.

People think EMPs are gonna put us back in the wild west or some shit and yeah, certain things like power lines (and thus the grid) are gonna take damage but it won't put us back to the damn stone age.

>Muh One Second After

That book is fucking garbage.
>>
>>30560162
>pushing it over.
You simply can't.
Get over it.

>In hypothetical SHTF you just mixed a few kilograms of metal powders into a can,

>he's going to fit pounds of explosive into cans.

>fumbled
Those things have rusted themselves stuck years ago. You will not unfasten them.

>melted loose the clamps
Nice, you just welded them together. Obviously you won't last long.

>pushed the now loose bar over
Most rails in North America are 40 feet long. Good fucking luck.

>Why do you niggers always say small gaps?
Because they are now common in railroads after age, heat, and wear has warped tracks. This isn't new.

>I explicitly stated take out a few meters.
I explicitly said in SHTF there's no gravity, i'm just as correct as you are.

Now lets add another element to this:
Trains don't carry shit that you can make use of and if you derail a train you pretty much fucked up whatever it was carrying anyway.
>>
>>30560162
You gave two options on how to stop a train on a track. Sure. But they're not possible with what we're talking about.

Are you going to be carrying explosives or thermite with you all day erry day in the off chance of this happening?

You're also going to need an explosive capable of destroying more than a foot of track. You'll spend a good hour loading up enough fertilizer on the track to do anything to it. Show me an explosive that was made with everyday items that's powerful enough to cut through the hardened steel they use for railroad tracks. AND even then you'd need a way to direct the blast onto the tracks unless you plan on using a ton or so of the shit.

Your thermite argument was decent, but wasn't viable in the situation laid out. That being very little advanced notice. Your explosive argument is retarded.

>>30560202
Okay, you cut the track in two spots, but you still need to seperate the rails from the ties. Which you'll either need to grind out or melt out with ever more thermite. You think the rails are just held down by gravity or something?
>>
>>30560174
Good lord
>>
>>30560252
>You simply can't.

In what world of physics are you too stupid to push over a steel bar of maybe 2-3 meters of length? Shit, ancient cultures used levers to move waaay more heavy shit than that, speaking of 100s sometimes 1000s of tons of raw stone. YOU can't, because you are a Murifat retard. Don't project.

>Those things have rusted themselves stuck years ago. You will not unfasten them.

They are unfastened with repairs all the time. Shut up.

>Nice, you just welded them together. Obviously you won't last long.

The clamps look like bent rings, you can melt them at the point where they don't sit on the bar, thus cutting them open, easy to pull them off then. Shut up.

>Most rails in North America are 40 feet long. Good fucking luck.

Irrelevant, when you cut out a custom section. Shut up.

>Because they are now common in railroads after age, heat, and wear has warped tracks. This isn't new.

Still a strawman argument, shut up.

>I explicitly said in SHTF there's no gravity, i'm just as correct as you are.

You're a dumbfuck, so fuck off.

>Trains don't carry shit that you can make use of and if you derail a train you pretty much fucked up whatever it was carrying anyway.

Just a second ago you were talking about how it's impossible to acquire thermite or other stuff (which it isn't) in SHTF or regularly. Now you say trains don't carry ACTUAL metric shit tons of all kinds of interesting cargo, including chemicals and stuff. YOU are retarded. Fuck off.

>>30560259

With what YOU are talking about. But your axioms are completely shit. Why would you sit unprepared and quickly try to stop a train? You generally prepare such shit carefully. So your argument holds no weight on those prepositions.

You stash that shit generally, Mr. OSS operative from WW2 veteran.

The explosive would blow up the train bed, not the tracks. READ GOD DAMN IT.

>Show me an explosive that was made with everyday items that's powerful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-2zbsw51g
>>
>>30560162
>Why do you niggers always say small gaps?
Because that's what thermite is best at creating. Getting enough of it to melt away meters of rail is a bunch of time/effort you can almost certainly spend better getting rid of or thoroughly obstructing that rail another way.

>The hypothetical situation is you see a guy steamrolling through town on a train
>In that situation you are unprepared.
But that's literally the situation we're talking about. Nobody gives a fuck about anything you set up well in advance because given a moderate amount of time fucking with rails is trivial. Doing so with a few minutes notice is not.

>
How in the fuck would you measure the amount of thermite required in METERS?
You dense retard lets go back over the posts once again shall we?
>>30559751
>About as hard as mixing iron oxide and aluminium powder into a can, placing it on the rail and igniting it with a magnesium strip. A child could do it. Just melt that fucker away.
>>30559898
>If you're fucking around with thermite you'd do far better trying to build up a derailer with it than melting away a few inches of track,
>>30559993
>Not inches, METERS. You said inches, I said meters.
So you talk about just melting that fucker away, not over inches, meters, but you didn't bring up meters? Sure.

>>30560202
>I was talking of meters of railroad track being cut out at to spots, then pushed out and tada, gap.
Ok since you're constantly moving these goal posts lets go with that. First of all see >>30560252
where you just welded the fastenings in place and now have a still firmly attached rail with a couple smallish bits melted out of it. Not gonna do shit. And the train just rolled on by after your thermiting before you got back to carry out your second stage of shifting a (not) loosened rail by whatever means.
>>
File: railroad track.jpg (219 KB, 780x510) Image search: [Google]
railroad track.jpg
219 KB, 780x510
>>30560322
>he thinks he can carry enough explosives to fuck up a train bed enough to derail a train

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-2zbsw51g

>he's going to be carrying this with him all day
>a friction and shock sensitive explosive

wew lad
>>
>>30560202
>Dropping a tree is now again less work or needs less preparation? I don't think so Tim. I think you're full of shit.
Hours gathering materials, sorting/purifying them unless you happened onto a bunch of perfect supplies, mixing them carefully to get a good reaction, transporting to intended site, and placing correctly before igniting.
Or you take the chainsaw (that serves a bunch of not-train-harrassing purposes) that's in the back of your truck/otherwise to hand because it's a relatively light a useful tool and drop a tree in a couple of minutes.

Which takes the least effort and has the greatest chance to actually happen in the timeframe of having just spotted/heard something coming?
>>
>>30560352

It is not supposed to melt away meters, BUT TWO SMALL CUTS. GOD DAMN.

>So you talk about just melting that fucker away, not over inches, meters, but you didn't bring up meters? Sure.

No, I refuse to accept you are this stupid. People said "cutting out a few inches" won't do shit. Well no shit sherlock. I didn't say that. I said make two cuts, unfuck the bar, push it over and done. Now you not only claim I'd wanted to melt the whole meters, which is retarded, but what do I expect of you, but you also say I would measure thermite in meters or inches? dude... No. Shut up and fuck off.

>Ok since you're constantly moving these goal posts lets go with that.

No. You look into my post here >>30560202
and read what I wrote at the top. Right from the beginning I was talking about cutting out a section of a few meters. Everything else was your shit idea. Now kill yourself, you bring shame to the gene pool.

>>30560379

Implications I never made, good job for being stupid. On site production, storage, implementation. It's like you people never read any demolitions handbook or anything. Oh right, you didn't you are just shitposting. Fuck off, I'm out.
>>
>>30560322
>In what world of physics are you too stupid to push over a steel bar of maybe 2-3 meters of length?
In the world where humans aren't capable of handling steel I-beams 40 feet long, also known as the real world.

>Shit, ancient cultures used levers to move waaay more heavy
So now you have to introduce levers into this retarded plan.

Okay so you've painstakingly took an entire day to fuse the railway ties to the rails because you think that melting steel won't involve it cooling again and you finally try to crowbar the rail off.
Jesus fucking Christ.

>They are unfastened with repairs all the time. Shut up.
Using heavy equipment
Cleetus with a breaker bar is going to break is bar or strip bolts.

>you can melt them
pic related. When you try to melt this it will invariably fuse all the small bits into a ball of steel. Hot metal can cool down and will do so the very second after heat is done being applied to it.

>Irrelevant, when you cut out a custom section. Shut up.
You simply can't. You're just going to make small gaps because your monkey ass welded the clamps to the rails.

>Still a strawman argument, shut up.

Still correct lul

>You're a dumbfuck, so fuck off.

>p..pleas..e s..st..op!

>Just a second ago you were talking about how it's impossible to acquire thermite
not me, more than one person thinks you're retarded.

>Now you say trains don't carry ACTUAL metric shit tons of all kinds of interesting cargo

They don't carry things you need. They carry massive quantities of raw materials or pre-fabricated components.
For example, trains delivered humongous quantities of finished parts to the Chrysler factory where my Dad worked.
They bring absurd amounts of oil and flower to the bakery where i used to work.
You won't be able to make use of these things because they have a specific purpose

>i can use flower
you're going to derail an entire train to get a small batch of flower to make hardtack..No you aren't.
1/2
>>
>>30560322
2/2

if you wanted usable materials your efforts should go into stealing shit from semi-trucks.

You have a fundamental lack of understanding of trains.
>>
>>30560414
>he leaves after losing an argument

You're literally ignoring just what the fuck scenario we were talking about.

You're talking about SHTF train derailing with hours, if not days of advanced notice

We're talking about SHTF train derailing with no preplanning, you just see a dude steamrolling through town and try to stop the train to sodomize him to death.

You also did not even touch on how you're going to defeat the rail ties holding the rail down after melting two spots to loosen it.
>>
>>30560414
>BUT TWO SMALL CUTS. GOD DAMN.
two small cuts won't derail a train
two small cuts won't unclasp a rail from a tie.
>>
>>30560414
>On site production, storage, implementation.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You're now setting up to make explosives on site, after transporting the required materials and equipment there? And this is still happening in the timeframe you have whilst a train is coming, or is more efficient that just undoing the fastenings and utilising one of the vehicles you're using for any of your schemes to drag the rail slightly to the side?
>>
>>30560439
>In the world where humans aren't capable of handling steel I-beams 40 feet long
I should clarify, individual humans.
>>
>>30560217
>That book is fucking garbage.
It was a decent book, but not realistic in the slightest.
>>
>>30558709
>Considering you won't have to worry about trains for an EMP situation

EMPs don't effect Steam Engines, OP.
>>
>>30560525
Steam car revolution soon Comrade.

>they can go fast af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo
>>
To all the above:

No, you don't. I never claimed immediate response without preparation was feasible. I said it is possible to stop a train with some prepping. Average rail weight is 40-50kg/m, so a section of 3 meters, enough to derail a train, weighs maybe 150kg, plus the attachments, plus the wood bars below it. Given the idea that you already have thermite to melt two cuts into the bar, you can also burn those wooden planks (some places they use concrete, so here you need to shatter it instead). Then you can simply push, pull or lever out the section, weighing approx. 200 kgs.
>>
>>30560574
A couple of problems with your plan

>you can also burn those wooden planks
Thermite is going to burn out too fast to transfer enough heat down from the rails to the tie for the tie to start burning.
hold a lighter to a log, it won't burn.

>Then you can simply push, pull or lever out the section
The heat will warp the rails. If you knew anything about welding you would understand what'll happen next.
>>
>>30560657
>Thermite is going to burn out too fast to transfer enough heat down from the rails to the tie for the tie to start burning.
Not him but in that case I suspect he means using a separate charge for the tie, in addition to those for the rails. Whilst it might work, it's again heading into using a lot of material given that you need to destroy a few of them to get a decent gap.
>>
>>30560657

Yeah, that's actually right. It's probably easier to blow up wood than burn through it, as wood doesn't melt, obviously.

>>30560692

Some rails in Europe use clamps, not those screws with springs. Those clamps are bent in a weird way, holding on to the rail and can be molten through without attaching to the bar.

The easiest thing would be a shaped charge, fucking the train at the wheel assembly or motor.
>>
File: 2636.1366222506.jpg (614 KB, 1200x810) Image search: [Google]
2636.1366222506.jpg
614 KB, 1200x810
>>30558709
>Considering you won't have to worry about trains for an EMP situation

Someone don't know about muh steam locomotives.
>>
File: 9329.1428836697.jpg (691 KB, 1200x919) Image search: [Google]
9329.1428836697.jpg
691 KB, 1200x919
>>30559349
>so it needs a long antenna, such as miles of power line, to pick up enough energy to do anything.

>train are typically unaffected

So the hundreds of thousands of miles of steel rail, overhead catenary line, and mile-long car consists would not put trains at risk, huh?
>>
man i want to play train simulator now.
Too bad it's shit
>>
>>30560763
No, the rails will pick up a charge but aren't connected to anything sensitive to a surge and are grounded.
>>
>>30560796
>aren't connected to anything sensitive to a surge and are grounded.

So the charge wouldn't work its way into the steel locomotive wheels and then into the traction motors that drive the axles?

Uh huh..
>>
>>30560503
>It was a decent book

No it wasn't. The characters weren't remotely realistic, the villains were hilarious projections of the author's own insecurities about the world.

It's a bad book written by essentially an IRL Dale Gribble in a style that would flunk a 100-level college writing class.

Legitimately it's on par with Rawles' garbage "
fiction where he tries to convince you to buy land in Idaho.

Autist-tier garbage.
>>
>>30560817
No, it wouldn't.
>>
>>30560817
it's grounded, that's not how electricity works.
>>
>>30560731
Very possibly easier to hammer out those clamps than go through the effort of thermiting them though.

>The easiest thing would be a shaped charge, fucking the train at the wheel assembly or motor.
Actually harder than you might think unless you utterly fucked a wheel enough to derail the locomotive. Hitting the motors would require multiple precise hits to take out either both diesels (not uncommon for a locomotive to have 2 working together) or both/all of the electric traction motors.

>So the hundreds of thousands of miles of steel rail, overhead catenary line, and mile-long car consists would not put trains at risk, huh?
Rail charge goes into the ground and fucks some parts of signalling, locomotive unaffected.
Catenary (not in picture or indeed much of the NA network afaik) likely trips out any running locomotives and fucks with power supplies the same as with the regular grid.
Consists might well not be conductively connected enough to build a large charge, if they did the consist doesn't matter hugely as that charge also goes into the rails.
>>
>>30560863
>Very possibly easier to hammer out those clamps than go through the effort of thermiting them though.

Easier to just say 'fuck it', because that hardware is among the toughest steel available anywhere.
>>
>>30560863

The advantage of shaped charges it the huge effect it has if manufactured and used precisely. So yes, that can be risky (in the sense of failure) or requires attention and effort.
>>
>>30560817
>>30560763
You are an idiot.
>>
>>30559349
>so it needs a long antenna, such as miles of power line, to pick up enough energy to do anything.
>>30560763
>o the hundreds of thousands of miles of steel rail, overhead catenary line, and mile-long car consists would not put trains at risk
>>30560796
>the rails will pick up a charge but aren't connected to anything sensitive to a surge and are grounded.
>>30560817
>So the charge wouldn't work its way into the steel locomotive wheels and then into the traction motors that drive the axles?
>>30560915
>You are an idiot.

I found the 'big antenna', and I found a critical component that would be sensitive to electric overload. How the fuck am I the idiot, jackass?
>>
these train trollers are really coming out of the woodwork now... Got lost in the Novels of austim
>>
>>30560956
>I found the 'big antenna', and I found a >. How the fuck am I the idiot, jackass?
>Big antenna
Yes
>critical component that would be sensitive to electric overload
Where exactly?
How exactly?
No, you didn't, and are still an idiot.
>>
>>30560956
Because the charge would not go into the train.
It would go into the ground like literally every electrical charge is wont to do. This is basic science.
>>
>>30561070
Well I fucked up that greentexting like a retard, but the point stands excepting that faggotry.
>>
>post apocalyptic wasteland

>a single route that raiders know you'll be using

>spend hours prelubing their dicks for when you show up

>use a shotgun barrel instead
>>
File: 1394498497752.png (8 KB, 376x260) Image search: [Google]
1394498497752.png
8 KB, 376x260
>having a shitstorm over using thermite to derail a fucking railroad bicycle
>>
File: william lind.jpg (14 KB, 239x300) Image search: [Google]
william lind.jpg
14 KB, 239x300
Hi, Billy Lind here.

Greetings fellow light rail enthusiasts
>>
>>30561203
The the great philosopher Adolf has said, "verpissen, Sie verdoppeln Schwuchtel"

Enjoy your Sam Adams.
>>
File: 1468039947239s.jpg (3 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1468039947239s.jpg
3 KB, 125x112
>>30561161
Exactly my concern in /K/ dwindles daily...
>>
>>30559712
>That shit won't stop a train

We're not talking about a proper locomotive here dingus. We're talking about the bike things as shown by the OP.
>>
>>30561354
Dingus song go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2aMdQMupw

but seriously imagine a solar powered ebike on tracks...
>>
Messing with the rail lines come SHTF? oh lord, give me strength to suffer the fools of this world.
No one here has any idea how locked down and powerfully independent the rails are. The new government will come once again to the rail barons for security not the other way around.
Learn some history, then learn about our infrastructure.

Better plan to get a v8 and ride to valhalla cuz the streets will be mayhem. The rails will be brutally controlled by neo Pinkerton PMCs faster than the National guard can open a case of water.

Whats next? Get a couple of fishing boats and lock down a harbor?

Good luck.
>>
File: tehachapilooptrains.jpg (101 KB, 675x389) Image search: [Google]
tehachapilooptrains.jpg
101 KB, 675x389
>>30561506
How will you police all that rail? Do you not realize how much of it there is?
>>
>>30560503
In some ways, reality is much worse.

Are we agreed that the most likely casualty of EMP is, if anything, the power grid?

So, you have a couple hundred million doomed city-dwellers, who cannot be fed with the remaining infrastructure, but they still have working vehicles.

The locust swarm will reach deeply into the food-producing regions, overwhelming and killing off many of the people who would otherwise have survived to repopulate the land in the process, before dying anyway because there isn't enough food to last them long enough to grow new crops themselves (much less learn how).

The final butcher's bill gets much worse, and the chances of civilization surviving or re-emerging get that much lower.
>>
>>30561234
Danke, meine bruder - that's german for "Thanks, brother"

Isn't it great that you can bomb rail lines for 30 days with JDAMs to no effect
>>
>>30561549
You need to learn what it is your talking about. The rail system is the backbone of the nation. Securing it is second in line to military bases, then ports.
You have no idea the size of the hornets nest you want to stick your dick in.
We have been policing the rails since before the telegraph.
This thread is so naive it hurts.
>>
>>30561604
That's about as great as being able to win a war with no logistics.
>>
>>30561615
That's magic of the mission-type orders that von Moltke used to give
>>
>>30561613
you must live near some serious rail arteries to be that bias and pompous. Most people are aware of how vital a national asset the main rail lines are. But where I live (and indeed in many parts of the US) severely underused, neglected, and even abandoned lines are everywhere. This concept has MUCH more merit on these routes. little single-track nobody lines that are used to haul harvested crops or lumber a few times each year are NOT going to be as scrutinized as actual rail arteries.
>>
>>30561203
triggered
>>
>>30560014
>stat stubby arm
no amount of veins will make him not a manlet.
>>
>>30558709
>S H's the F
>raid local wwi museum, acquire Browning Machine Gun
>acquire hand-cranked trolley
>no brakes on the pain train
>>
File: 3549013.jpg (138 KB, 609x1024) Image search: [Google]
3549013.jpg
138 KB, 609x1024
>>30561769
a sound plan for what it is
>>
>>30561203
story
>>
>>30561660
see
>>30561092

get a dirt bike. use trails. maintain the ability to turn around and change course.
>>
File: 4133.jpg (57 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
4133.jpg
57 KB, 500x376
>>30561936
This also this train thread does not look to be derailing anytime soon.
>>
>>30560014
>cut surface of arm
>blood sprays everywhere
cool muscles
>>
>>30561955
I see what you did there
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.