[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Murican defense on a budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 2000x1000
Given the impending race war, what's the best defensive weapon on a budget, generally speaking?

More specifically, considering a semi-urban environment with ~35% population of vibrant youths, and a budget of $400, $500 if really stretching it?

>inb4 AR lower
I want something that will help me defend myself, not a summer crafts project
>>
WASR-10

Plenty of cheap ammo as well.
>>
Best answer for that depends on where you live. What state are you in, OP? Can you/will you/are you not even required to get a concealed carry permit?
>>
Mossberg Maverick 88
>>
>>30552816
It's going to be hard with that price range.

I'd go with a sub2000: https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-tec-sub2000-40sw-glock-mag-blued-black15rd-sub2k-gen-2

One in 9mm would be better because the ammo is cheaper, but...
>>
File: IMG_3523.jpg (672 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3523.jpg
672 KB, 3888x2592
Part 1/3

If you need a gun for home defense/and or dangerous happenings, your best bet is an AR15.

Let’s talk about why the AR15 is the BEST option for a SHTF scenario.

The AR15 is the weapon of choice for the US Military and most, if not all US Police forces.

The ammunition (5.56/.223) is extremely common with Every US community, USMIL/POLICE included, and is an accurate, hard hitting round. It is also light, and inexpensive.

The AR15 itself is a truly remarkable design, and is utterly reliable if manufactured correctly. The famed “AR15 is unreliable” saying goes as far back to Vietnam, where the US government attempted to use Surplus 30-06 powder in early M193 ammunition. This is very wrong, and lead to early M16s not working properly. If the Government had followed the suggested power recommendation, the reputation never would have materialized.

Let’s talk a bit about the AR15s obvious competitor, the AK. The Russians designed a very nice rifle with the AK47, and further improved it into the AKM. But you have to understand that Russia is not allowed to export AKMs to the US anymore, and modern AKs for sale in the US are either Eastern European parts kits (of dubious quality) or brand new US made AKs (of EXTREMLY dubious quality).

Not to mention the fact that the AK is no more reliable than the AR15 in the first place, and its ammunition, the 7.62x39 is a rather anemic cartridge past 300 yards, and has the ballistics of a bowling ball. The AK and its Ammunition is also not used by any sizable US Police Forces, and almost all 7.62x39 ammunition is manufactured overseas, much of it IN RUSSIA, you can see issues with the availability of spare parts and ammunition in a crisis.

I am not suggesting the AK is a bad platform, merely that it is not the best choice for a “Life and Liberty” gun.

Now let's talk about how to actually get an AR15.
>>
File: IMG_3671.jpg (648 KB, 2501x1255) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3671.jpg
648 KB, 2501x1255
>>30553013
Part 2/3

It is highly advisable that you BUILD your AR15, as you save quite a bit of money doing this, and you get to tailor the rifle to your preferences from the beginning.

There are 3 forms of common AR15 builds that you can start with, keep in mind, once you get familiar with the platform, you’ll learn of more, but these require no tinkering to make work.

16” Mid Length, 20” Rifle Length, and 14.5 Carbine Length.

16” Mid Length is what I recommend to those getting a new AR, as it is the minimum legal barrel length to keep your AR considered a rifle, and not a “pistol”(thus allowing you to have a stock without NFA paperwork)

This is a soft shooting and well balanced combination, and is utterly reliable. “Mid Length” refers to the gas system length, with many prebuilt ARs, 16” rifles will simply have a Carbine Length gas system, which is outdated, and increased felt recoil/parts wear.

Here are some good brands to look at when BUILDING an AR. I may leave out some, but any listed here will be QUALITY.

PSA, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Midwest Industries, Aero, KAC, LMT, Rainer Arms, and VLTOR

PSA and BCM are considered the best for new shooters because of their milspec quality and affordable price points while providing excellent QC and parts quality.
going to pay more for this convenience, and some of these have out of date features, such as carbine length gas systems on 16" rifles.

You should avoid Red Barn, Radical Firearms, and PSA PTAC.
>>
File: Gear.jpg (3 MB, 1499x2048) Image search: [Google]
Gear.jpg
3 MB, 1499x2048
>>
File: IMG_3665.jpg (598 KB, 2484x1269) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3665.jpg
598 KB, 2484x1269
>>30553059
Part 3/3

Here’s some general advice for all things AR15 related

It is generally a good idea to stick to "Mil-spec" guidelines, or above when building an AR. Everything I recommend will meet or surpass these.

It is a good idea to have 500 rounds of quality, brass case ammo in storage.

M193 is the best ammo to stockpile.

1/7 or 1/8 barrel twists is the best.

Only buy Magpul mags, Lancer L5 mags, or GI mags with Magpul followers.(Shitty mags are the #1 reason a rifle is unreliable)

I personally recommend that those new to the platform buy a Complete Upper, and a Complete Lower from any of the companies I recommended, they will all be interchangeable.

Don't worry about fancy shit, free floating a rifle right away isn't needed, and fancy optics aren't required, but both are nice.

If you plan on using this rifle for defense, a weapon mounted light is 100% necessary, bad things happen at night, seriously it’s not mall ninja shit and anyone who has actually used a rifle at night can confirm this.
>>
File: 20160305_165358.jpg (1 MB, 1958x1469) Image search: [Google]
20160305_165358.jpg
1 MB, 1958x1469
>>30552870
If you live in the states, you want an AR15.
>>
I came here to post this too. How does one start shopping for a gun?
I'm in the military and use a baretta m9 all the time, but I'm told it's a pretty dogshit gun.
Where do I even begin?
>>
File: 1445284600945.jpg (4 MB, 3900x5008) Image search: [Google]
1445284600945.jpg
4 MB, 3900x5008
More defense on a budget
>>
File: 1457048673109.jpg (182 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
1457048673109.jpg
182 KB, 1152x768
>>30552816
depends on what youre looking for
you can get a pistol/shotgun combo for around 700 if you do the legwork
A rifle may be more, but you can hold off with just the pistol/shotty until then. Id recommend a pistol first just because you get more versatility out of it. Theres no excuse to have a "budget" anything IMO. Eat some ramen noodels for a week or two and dont leave the house. You'll save a few hundred easy and can find a good deal
I just got a police trade in glock 23 (lol .40) for 400. Came with 3 mags
>>
>>30553125
slickguns.com
>>
>>30552816
Canik TP9, S&W Sigma, or a shotgun seem to fit that price range.

You might be able to find a better gun like a Glock, M&P, etc if you look for used guns.
>>
>>30553059
Is there a complete noobs guide to which parts to buy similar to the pic in >>30553135

I've got 1k to spend and don't wanna waste it if there ends up being an AR ban. Sorry if this has been posted before 1000x times.

Please respond.
>>
>>30553125
> but I'm told it's a pretty dogshit gun
Don't fall for the meme.

Most people that bitch about 92's only have used the old clapped military ones. No shit, anything that has gone through 35+ years of grunts is going to be loose and shitty.
>>
>>30553207
No because it would go out of date in 2 months.

Look at BCM and PSA for that price, or maybe a Aero Lower
>>
>>30552816
Any pump 12 gauge that fits the price range. You don't need an expensive one, just one that's not blatantly dicked, it's hard to fuck up something that's been around for about 100 years
>>
>>30553233
So in that case what's the most current recommendation? I'm looking to buy asap, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there for those of us who are panic buying.
>>
>>30553313
PSA Complete Lower and PSA Premium upper

If nothing is in stock go to your LGS and buy a Colt
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.